• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 4 |OT| Dewey Beats Truman

verbum

Packers, Cowboys, Steelers, Raiders

That's the NFL Mount Rushmore. The only team you could really argue for is the 49ers. Everybody else is a pretender.

Since the 1950's "iconic" teams are defined by a star quarterback and a championship season.
NYG + Y A Tittle
Cowboys + Don Meredith + Roger Staubach
Packers + Bart Starr + Aaron Rodgers
Colts + Johnny Unitas
Jets + Joe Namath
Dolphins + Dan Marino
Raiders + Jim Plunkett
49ers + Joe Montana + Steve Young
Steelers + Terry Bradshaw

and so on.

Today I would consider the Patriots + Tom Brady and the Giants + Eli Manning to be very close if not already iconic.

cdyhybrid

Since the 1950's "iconic" teams are defined by a star quarterback and a championship season.
NYG + Y A Tittle
Colts + Johnny Unitas
Jets + Joe Namath
Dolphins + Dan Marino
Raiders + Jim Plunkett

and so on.

Today I would consider the Patriots + Tom Brady and the Giants + Eli Manning to be very close if not already iconic.

Ravens and Trent Dilfer as well.

Spinluck

NYG + Y A Tittle
Colts + Johnny Unitas
Jets + Joe Namath
Dolphins + Dan Marino
Raiders + Jim Plunkett

and so on.

Then Manning + Colts belongs there too.

Kiryu

So... Are we to judge every team by their first playoff loss? I don't understand your logic here. The texans playing with a 3rd string QB lost to a pretty good balitmore ravens team in baltimore and that means they'll never be iconic? what?
We haven't seen Texans as iconic team as decades...

I would go with Gaints+Eli Manning as Iconic Team... (They're not iconic team yet but they should be)

NYG + Y A Tittle
Colts + Johnny Unitas
Jets + Joe Namath
Dolphins + Dan Marino
Raiders + Jim Plunkett

and so on.

You list the Packers and leave Brett Favre off the list?

I'm going to be at the MSU-OSU game in East Lansing today, where college game day will be today. Even though none of you know what I look like, you should still look for me on tv!

UberTag

They are trying to get back the Rams or the Raiders?
I'm guessing they get neither one. Will probably land the London Jaguars, Toronto Bills or some other team instead.
The Rams may end up moving regardless... from the NFC West to a non-West division. It'll be either them or the Chiefs that get bumped when Los Angeles returns.

GQman2121

Banned
They are trying to get back the Rams or the Raiders?

The Chargers make more sense. LA need to break ground on a stadium first though to show they're serious, even if the club play at the coliseum for two years. That's how we got the Browns.

I always got the impression most folks think "defense" when they were talking about those Ravens who won the Super Bowl. The offense of that team rarely gets a mention.

This is correct. Dilfer wasn't even the starter until well into the season. Tony Banks started week 1.

eznark

Banned
Lol at claiming any team with a contributing quarterback and a Super Bowl win is iconic. Give me a break. Slo nailed it on the first post.

d[-_-]b

Banned
I'm going to be at the MSU-OSU game in East Lansing today, where college game day will be today. Even though none of you know what I look like, you should still look for me on tv!

So we can pick arbitrary people who we think are you? Also pass on watching college football, just meh for me...

effzee

From the 20s you have the Bears, Packers and Giants, I'd say they're all iconic. From the early 30s you have the Steelers, Eagles and Redskins. Steelers certainly didn't become iconic until the 70s...Eagles probably not, but Skins could be argued for, they won titles back then and SBs later. From the 50s you have the Browns, Colts and 49ers. Browns were iconic back then, that's for sure, not so much now. Colts were with Unitas and kind of became so again with Manning. And of course we know the Niners success. 60s you have the Cowboys and the AFL guys, of which the Raiders certainly became the most iconic. And that's my list.

HOW DARE YOU FORGET ABOUT THE MOST ICONIC TEAM OF THEM ALL?

STEAGLES!!! IT HAPPENED THEY EXISTED!

eznark

Banned
d[-_-]b;42663419 said:
So we can pick arbitrary people who we think are you? Also pass on watching college football, just meh for me...

lion_fan.jpg

eznark

Banned
Lombardi coached the Packers from 59-67. Spectral doesn't include Packers as iconic 60s team.

I think we can stop paying attention to Spectral on matters of football history.

5 championships? Meh, how bout dem Cowboys! Lolol

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Am I stupid or does nfl.com just not show individual stats leaders properly on their site?

I had to go to Yahoo to see.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
We also have Superbowl MVPs who regret ever having played the game. Maybe some change isn't the end of the world.
I would be interested in who those were.

To me football is muddy uniforms, snowy fields, the qb going to line, breath freezing in the air. Hard hits, and game clinching finales that drive the fans and players crazy.

We now have artificial turf, domes, fines for every hit, and every play is reviewed until it's no longer exciting. The game is still entertaining, but any fool can see that it's changed into something substantially different than 20 years ago. Like everything, I suppose. But football is definitely not the game of inches it used to be.
Football was never a game of inches, it's a game of scoring points.

Ænima

Packers, Cowboys, Steelers, Raiders

That's the NFL Mount Rushmore. The only team you could really argue for is the 49ers. Everybody else is a pretender.
The Raiders have no business being put on the same level as those other 3 teams. Just looking at the top 20 jersey sales last year, the Cowboys and Steelers have 3 players each and the Packers have 2 players. The Raiders have 0. Nobody really gives a damn about them outside of California anymore.

RBH

In an NFL Network interview with Atlanta Falcons wide receivers Julio Jones and Roddy White to air Sunday morning, NFL Network analyst Michael Irvin asked the duo whether Giants receivers Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz are a better tandem than they are.

White doesn't think so.

“Victor Cruz is a lot more of a slot receiver; the big boys play on the outside,” White said.

A preview of the interview was aired during halftime of the Baltimore Ravens' win over the Cleveland Browns Thursday night. Cruz said he caught some of the game and though he didn't see the preview, some teammates told him about it when he arrived for practice today.

"I couldn't care less about what anybody else has to say," Cruz told the Star-Ledger. "I got a ring back at home. I don't care about what Roddy White has to say."

It isn't the first time White has taken a slight jab at Cruz. Before the Giants and Falcons met in their NFC Wild Card game in January, White said Cruz was going to be in for a "rude awakening" in 2012 though he also said he deserved a good payday for the type of numbers he put up last season.

Cruz has continued producing at a high rate through three games this season -- he has 23 catches for 279 yards and a touchdown. He and Nicks became the first teammates to catch at least 10 passes for 175 yards and a touchdown in the same game against the Buccaneers. Though Nicks missed last week's game against the Panthers, he and Cruz have combined for 37 receptions for 516 yards and two touchdowns.

On the other hand, White and Jones have combined for 34 catches for 453 yards and four touchdowns. Regardless of what the numbers may indicate, White doesn't believe there is a wide receiver duo in the NFL better than he and Jones.

“The thing that me and [Julio Jones] bring to the game, we’re probably the best duo in the league right now.”
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/09/falcons_roddy_white_takes_a_ja.html#incart_river

Godslay

Banned
Ænima;42665319 said:
The Raiders have no business being put on the same level as those other 3 teams. Just looking at the top 20 jersey sales last year, the Cowboys and Steelers have 3 players each and the Packers have 2 players. The Raiders have 0. Nobody really gives a damn about them outside of California anymore.

Being an iconic team doesn't really have to relate to jersey sales or a particular players popularity.

The Raiders are iconic in that they are the bad boys/misfits of the NFL.

Top Bottom