• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 4 |OT| Dewey Beats Truman

RBH

The Falcons are a joke.

Let them talk crap, their time will come.

No, this is a joke:

packers-protesters.jpg

Ænima;42665319 said:
The Raiders have no business being put on the same level as those other 3 teams. Just looking at the top 20 jersey sales last year, the Cowboys and Steelers have 3 players each and the Packers have 2 players. The Raiders have 0. Nobody really gives a damn about them outside of California anymore.

Clearly we need more rapists on our team.

Ænima

Being an iconic team doesn't really have to relate to jersey sales or a particular players popularity.

The Raiders are iconic in that they are the bad boys/misfits of the NFL.
True. I just don't think Al Davis (RIP) giving the NFL the middle finger plus the Raiders having about a billion penalties every year makes them more iconic than other multiple-superbowl winning teams. The Boys, Steelers, and Packers are clearly in a class of their own. I think the Raiders are definitely second tier along with teams like MIA, WAS, NYG, CHI, SF, and even though their success is recent, NE.

Clearly we need more rapists on our team.

I think the Raiders still have a lot of appeal. For some reason there are a lot of people here with Raiders caps on. Probably because they look cool and because it's one of the bigger names. I've also seen some Redskins caps and once a dude with a Bucs one but that's about it

Ænima;42666334 said:
True. I just don't think Al Davis (RIP) giving the NFL the middle finger plus the Raiders having about a billion penalties every year makes them more iconic than other multiple-superbowl winning teams. The Boys, Steelers, and Packers are clearly in a class of their own. I think the Raiders are definitely second tier along with teams like MIA, WAS, NYG, CHI, SF, and even though their success is recent, NE.

Probably true for newer fans, since the Raiders have had a shitty decade, but they're still part of the old guard and they defined football in the 70s and 80s, 90s even. When they have a couple of winning seasons and win a super bowl with Pryor (lol) in a few years the bandwagon will runneth over and they will once again eclipse those other teams.

Bowser

He is supposed to shut his mouth and stay humble. When he starts playing at that level, then he won't be asked those questions.

Just wanted to say your avatar is awesome! Have you looked into the new series being published by IDW? Reading it through trades, have had Vol. 2 for a while and haven't read it yet, but I thought Vol. 1 wasn't half bad.

beast786

I hate this crap. What are they supposed to say when asked that? This is basically the whole Flacco being asked if he's elite thing.

Exactly. it's like asking Obama , do you think you are the best candidate for president.

What do you expect them to say. It was an Obvious bait question.

Sanjuro

Just wanted to say your avatar is awesome! Have you looked into the new series being published by IDW? Reading it through trades, have had Vol. 2 for a while and haven't read it yet, but I thought Vol. 1 wasn't half bad.

I've avoided it for some time, I really wasn't too excited about about Eastman coming back to the series. I've heard nothing but good things though. Probably going to read through it sometime this weekend.

Are you talking about the Mirage series Vol. 1 & 2? I think IDW may have re-printed them.

SUN SEPT 30
SD @ KC
SF @ NYJ
SEA @ STL
CAR @ ATL
MIN @ DET
NE @ BUF
TEN @ HOU

CIN @ JAC
MIA @ ARI
OAK @ DEN
WAS @ TB
NO @ GB

NY @ PHI

MONDAY OCT 1
CHI @ DAL

Bowser

I've avoided it for some time, I really wasn't too excited about about Eastman coming back to the series. I've heard nothing but good things though. Probably going to read through it sometime this weekend.

Are you talking about the Mirage series Vol. 1 & 2? I think IDW may have re-printed them.

No, IDW is publishing a brand new ongoing series that started about a year ago:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is an ongoing comic book series published by IDW Publishing beginning in August 2011. It's the first new comic version of the Turtles to debut since the TMNT franchise was sold to Nickelodeon in October 2009. The initial creative team consisted of TMNT co-creator Kevin Eastman, who collaborates on the plot and the page layouts; Tom Waltz, who scripts the series; and Dan Duncan, who handles finished art.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_(IDW_Publishing)

Bowser

Yeah. That was the one I mentioned created by Eastman. I wasn't aware they were already in Volume 2. Seems a bit too soon...

EDIT: Ohhhh. Volume 2 going by trades. My bad.

Yeah, trades ha. I used to do single issues way back in the day, but I don't have time for that now, so I'm just following it through trades. Vol. 3 might be out by now, I think Vol. 2 came out at the end of June.

Man when I think about how close the Bucs were to being 3-0. And with 2 very winnable games ahead of us. Oh well, we are 1-2 which was what I was hoping for at this point, and can be 3-2 heading into the home game against new orleans.

Sanjuro

Yeah, trades ha. I used to do single issues way back in the day, but I don't have time for that now, so I'm just following it through trades. Vol. 3 might be out by now, I think Vol. 2 came out at the end of June.

My comic shop is doing a half-off sale, they are also half-off on Comixology including trades. Hmmm...

Godslay

Banned
Ænima;42666334 said:

It's their identity and what people think of when they think of the Raiders throughout the years.

The way I look at it is that there are teams that are iconic because of their identity. Raiders for being misfits, Steelers for being a hard nosed blue collar team (but also big winners), etc. Other franchises are iconic for winning multiple championships or being consistently good football teams, such as SF or NYG.

Outside of that I think that individual teams years can be iconic. For instance the 97 and 98 Broncos. They are an iconic team for those two years. I don't think Denver has elevated to an iconic franchise, even with those two years. Same thing with the perfect Dolphins. That year is iconic, the franchise less so.

Really it's all open to interpretation, but I would say there is a difference between iconic franchises and iconic teams.

More likely outcome: Manning in Denver mirrors Montana in KC or McNabb in DC?

Montana was one game shy of the Superbowl in KC. :jnc @ McNabb.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Didn't know ESPN was having another 30 for 30 coming out soon...I look forward to finally getting it up here in 3 months or so. :(

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/29/ex-nfl-millionaires-rison-kosar-mccants-tell-how-they-went-broke/

Kosar talks about how he trusted his father to take care of his money, and his father simply had no concept of how to properly invest millions of dollars. Rison boasts that he’d go to a club and spend tens of thousands of dollars, making sure everyone in the room knew that he was the rich guy. McCants says that when you’re a drug addict like him, more money just means more problems.

Just speaking of this article, I just can't have sympathy for these guys wasting that much money.

Top Bottom