• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 5 |OT| Bucket's Creamy Goo

squicken

The Colts are 2-2 and should be 3-1. Next 4 games are Jets, Cleveland, Titans, and Jags. They play Houston in Week 15 and Week 17, who are likely resting guys for the last one. They may really regret that loss to Cecil Shorts and Blaine Gabbert.

79-3 the last two weeks. Idc if it was against shitty teams. Holy fucking shit.

SF are great but BUF and NYJ laid down in the second half. But considering how dominated they were in the beginning it's understandable.

Yesterday's win was classic Steelers. Good defense, spotty offense, nail biter finish.

Man was it good to have Harrison back. I missed seeing that Harrison sandwich - Harrison, QB, and the ground. He had a quiet day by his standards, but he was in the backfield like crazy. Though not as much as

Lawrence Timmons. Good to have you back buddy. I read an article this morning from Dulac that made an interesting point - Timmons is best when he's free to attack and be disruptive. Having him think too much and read and react isn't his strong suit. He's a dumb, freakishly athletic football player. Unleash him more Lebeau.

This is what Polamalu's gonna be like for the rest of his career. Play one game, miss two. Play another 3 games, miss four. Helluva run, but man, that dude just can't keep those legs healthy.

As for offense - I'm starting to feel bad for Mike Wallace. He chose to hold out against the worst possible team for a hold out at the worst possible time. I hope he's just warming up because this type of performance isn't going to demand the type of money he's asking for. One drop that he easily could have hauled in if he tried for it. Wallace has a tendency to give up if you bully him a bit, and DB's will start noticing that. Granted he was getting mugged, but them's the breaks. Catch those balls.

Heath was solid as usual. It's so nice to have an OC that dares to actually use a realiable sure footed Tight End to catch passes sometimes! Miller's going to the pro bowl.

Colon - I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt for learning a new position on short notice and all, but man, four holding penalties. 40 yards on Colon alone. Steelers gave up 100 penalty yards, Colon was responsible for 40 percent of them. Christ. He flat out sucks in pass pro.

Finally, was it me or were there canyon size holes for the Defense to run through? Where was this kind of penetration the first three weeks? I mean yeah part of it was the Iggles o-line, but still.
Remember the play where nobody on the O-line bothered to block Keisel? Man I bet he wishes that happened more often.

-----

Eric Winston looks like a caveman. Dude is lucky he's a football player.

While the Eagles have more talent than the Steelers (especially with our injuries on defense) I am not so sure the Eagles absolutely should have won that game.

I thought they were pretty fortunate to even have a chance to win the game with all of their turnovers. If our receivers didn't drop the ball or trip on the grass the Eagles might have been blown out.

In the end the difference was the quarterbacks. Vick is just not as good as Ben. Ben faced a much better defense and still made way more plays.

The most surprising thing to me was that Mendenhall outrushed McCoy coming off the knee injury. We looked really good running to the left. Hope we can keep it up. If we can get a run game going and the receivers start holding onto the ball, the play action might give us the time we need to go deep and start getting the big plays on offense.

The Eagles should have won because they had an easier time moving the ball just Vick kept fumbling it. 2 guys really killed the Eagles, Timmions and Mendenhall. I dont I have seen Mendenhall look that quick for a long time. He must have been getting some good German HGH while he was recovering. I would love to see these teams meet up again but sadly it isnt in the cards for either team.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Skip just said that the Patriots are BY FAR the best team in the league. Once again, offense trumps defense in the eyes of the media, but very rarely is that the truth in reality.

I can think of one team better in the AFC, and at least four teams better in the NFC.

The Colts are 2-2 and should be 3-1. Next 4 games are Jets, Cleveland, Titans, and Jags. They play Houston in Week 15 and Week 17, who are likely resting guys for the last one. They may really regret that loss to Cecil Shorts and Blaine Gabbert.

SF are great but BUF and NYJ laid down in the second half. But considering how dominated they were in the beginning it's understandable.

But buffalo had a decent offense coming in and were held under 200 yards. Obviously we aren't going to play the jets and bills every week but it has been an impressive 2 games regardless of opponent

bionic77

The Eagles should have won because they had an easier time moving the ball just Vick kept fumbling it. 2 guys really killed the Eagles, Timmions and Mendenhall. I dont I have seen Mendenhall look that quick for a long time. He must have been getting some good German HGH while he was recovering. I would love to see these teams meet up again but sadly it isnt in the cards for either team.
Doesn't the defense get credit for causing the fumbles? Doesn't the blame go on Vick for being the most turnover prone qb in the league?

I don't think that is a should have won game for the Eagles because our defense was forcing turnovers. Like I said the Eagles were lucky to be in the game late. If Wallace catches that floater he is still running. If Cotchery doesn't get tackled by the grass we have another TD.

Yesterday's win was classic Steelers. Good defense, spotty offense, nail biter finish.

Man was it good to have Harrison back. I missed seeing that Harrison sandwich - Harrison, QB, and the ground. He had a quiet day by his standards, but he was in the backfield like crazy. Though not as much as

Lawrence Timmons. Good to have you back buddy. I read an article this morning from Dulac that made an interesting point - Timmons is best when he's free to attack and be disruptive. Having him think too much and read and react isn't his strong suit. He's a dumb, freakishly athletic football player. Unleash him more Lebeau.

This is what Polamalu's gonna be like for the rest of his career. Play one game, miss two. Play another 3 games, miss four. Helluva run, but man, that dude just can't keep those legs healthy.

As for offense - I'm starting to feel bad for Mike Wallace. He chose to hold out against the worst possible team for a hold out at the worst possible time. I hope he's just warming up because this type of performance isn't going to demand the type of money he's asking for. One drop that he easily could have hauled in if he tried for it. Wallace has a tendency to give up if you bully him a bit, and DB's will start noticing that. Granted he was getting mugged, but them's the breaks. Catch those balls.

Heath was solid as usual. It's so nice to have an OC that dares to actually use a realiable sure footed Tight End to catch passes sometimes! Miller's going to the pro bowl.

Colon - I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt for learning a new position on short notice and all, but man, four holding penalties. 40 yards on Colon alone. Steelers gave up 100 penalty yards, Colon was responsible for 40 percent of them. Christ. He flat out sucks in pass pro.

Finally, was it me or were there canyon size holes for the Defense to run through? Where was this kind of penetration the first three weeks? I mean yeah part of it was the Iggles o-line, but still.
Remember the play where nobody on the O-line bothered to block Keisel? Man I bet he wishes that happened more often.

-----

Eric Winston looks like a caveman. Dude is lucky he's a football player.
Yeah the difference in Timmons play with Harrison back was immediate. I was hoping that Woodley was going to take over the defense with Harrison getting older, but he is still our best guy.

Colon was fucking horrible. The less said about him the better.

And yes the defense had a lot of space to get at Vick. Remember their line sucks balls and Vick can't pick up or react to the blitz. It is a vicious cycle.

If I was Reid I would run the wheels off McCoy and just throw on 3rd down or set up play action for the occasional big play and really be more aggressive with that defense.

Draxal

Mentally or physically? Physically, yeah. So many of them are made of glass.

Mentally? I disagree. A mentally soft team would have caved under that 14 point hole they put themselves in against the Browns. A team they SHOULD have blown out from the get go. It would have given up after Eli's 3 picks in that TB game instead of coming out in the 4th QTR and winning that game.

Mentally this is a strong team, IMO and offensively you can seemingly put whatever receiver you want on the field and Eli will get production out of them. My concern is mostly with the defense right now (as it was in 2011) and frankly there are two major factors that need to be taken into consideration:

- Injuries. It isn't an excuse and we deal with it regularly but this season we don't have Canty who's pressure up the middle is a big cog for our defensive line. Bernard, Austin and Kuhn have been poor substitutes. Austin has huge upside but needs play time. The secondary is a hot mess of non-interchangeable parts with a declining veteran (Webster) and 3rd/4th team guys getting playing time because the young cornerbacks we have can't stay healthy (Hosely, Prince, T2). Not to mention we lost our best coverage DB in Kenny Phillips. The fact that we're not '09 levels of bad yet is amazing to me.

- Tuck and Osi have been invisible. With all of the injuries we need these guys to step it up and both are living on reputation right now. Tuck has at least been ok in his run defense but he's getting one on one opportunities and doing nothing with them. Osi is Osi. Run all you want on him and he won't do anything about it. I thought the Cleveland game was JPP's weakest of the season but I mentioned it yesterday - he can't be a one man defense every game.

Tuck's old/worn down and takes alot of plays off, I'll feel like if he gets to the playoffs he'll be fine though. Osi takes those crazy far wide angles that work if we get interior DT pressure (like you said we desperately miss Canty, for his interior pressue and his ability to get on his teammate's case), but he hasn't so it leave an immense running lane/passing lane.

Fewell's playing soft because he's terrifed of his db situation (which I am terrified of too).
For the safety situation, I think we desperately miss Grant (old school BBI's know SOTI, and SOTI basically said that Phillips/Rolle didn't know where to line up and Grant had to it for them).

Honestly, player i'm really down on is Blackburn, he made a nice interception yesterday, but he's a major reason why we're giving up so many yards on the ground, he's just slow and wiffs too much. I'm not a Herzlich fan by any stretch (nor do I hate him ... I don't know nothing about him), but we really need someone to take more snaps away from Blackburn.

d[-_-]b;42977933 said:
Happy Birthday dude, just season long disappointment is best gift you could ask for...

party.gif

Have a bitchin birthday, young man.

Thanks!

Frankman died for our Sins

Frankman died so that we may live
like cunts.

Also,
Adele is fat.
Christina Hendricks is fat.

Talamius

It's my birthday and I feel old.

Probably still the youngest active member of NFL-GAF

And I'll save you the trouble of finding "the" picture.

HB-grimreaper.gif

I don't know about all that. It's true that Cam hasn't made any of the progressions this year that Panthers' fans wanted to see. And he does shoulder his share of the blame for our offensive woes so far.

But...Tebow is a special brand of terrible.

I don't think Cam is a lost cause. All he needs is a emotional coach who will yell and scream and rip the towel off his head. After the first time Cowher would have had him in tears, that would have been the end of the shame towel.

Edit: And whoops, happy birthday!

bionic77

It's my birthday and I feel old.

Probably still the youngest active member of NFL-GAF

And I'll save you the trouble of finding "the" picture.

HB-grimreaper.gif

I don't know about all that. It's true that Cam hasn't made any of the progressions this year that Panthers' fans wanted to see. And he does shoulder his share of the blame for our offensive woes so far.

But...Tebow is a special brand of terrible.
First of all fuck you for taking a cheap shot at Tebow. He is the greatest football player of all time and anyone who says otherwise is a douchebag.

Secondly, happy birthday! You are probably still in your 20s so you are not old at all. As long as it takes you less than 10 minutes to pee you are probably not that old. Go bang a skanky whore to celebrate and so that us older guys can live vicariously through you (but without the STDs, that Gronk guy gets around).

Doesn't the defense get credit for causing the fumbles? Doesn't the blame go on Vick for being the most turnover prone qb in the league?

I don't think that is a should have won game for the Eagles because our defense was forcing turnovers. Like I said the Eagles were lucky to be in the game late. If Wallace catches that floater he is still running. If Cotchery doesn't get tackled by the grass we have another TD.

Yeah the difference in Timmons play with Harrison back was immediate. I was hoping that Woodley was going to take over the defense with Harrison getting older, but he is still our best guy.

Colon was fucking horrible. The less said about him the better.

And yes the defense had a lot of space to get at Vick. Remember their line sucks balls and Vick can't pick up or react to the blitz. It is a vicious cycle.

If I was Reid I would run the wheels off McCoy and just throw on 3rd down or set up play action for the occasional big play and really be more aggressive with that defense.

I thought Reid tried to run to much yesterday. I would have much rather had Shady's touches come on screens or passes to the flats. What Shady does best is those runs to the outside but the Steelers D is to disciplined to fall for those. They just kept stringing it out and holding him to 3 or 4 yards. The few up the middle runs they tried he got nothing on.

jmdajr

Its true. Past years we played down to shitty teams. Honestly, I think that is where all this concern is coming from today from Texans GAF. We still are not used to anything other than the cycle.

Yup. Hard to Believe until proven other wise.

squicken

But buffalo had a decent offense coming in and were held under 200 yards. Obviously we aren't going to play the jets and bills every week but it has been an impressive 2 games regardless of opponent

Oh you guys whipped them so bad they didn't want anymore. That Buffalo game is one of the biggest beatdowns in league history. 300 yards rushing and passing is incredible. I can only imagine how that is going with Bills fans on meassage boards and radio.

There was a TD pass where the 49ers were inside the 10 and Alex threw a short pass to Manningham. There wasn't a Bills player within 10 yards of him. Really poor effort by their D, but understandable

The afterglow of a Sunday in which the Pats won and the Packers got embarrassed is a bright one. So very bright. The only thing that could make it brighter would be the Jests shitting the bed tonight.

bionic77

I thought Reid tried to run to much yesterday. I would have much rather had Shady's touches come on screens or passes to the flats. What Shady does best is those runs to the outside but the Steelers D is to disciplined to fall for those. They just kept stringing it out and holding him to 3 or 4 yards. The few up the middle runs they tried he got nothing on.
Our run defense is horrible dude.

If Reid would have stuck with it more often in the first half you might not have had those turnovers and I guarantee you that McCoy breaks a huge run. Once you break a big run like that you can start to kill a defense by good playcalling :)lol Reid) and missing up passes and runs.

Speaking of good playcalling. I am liking Haley more and more every week. Not sure if he is really good or it is just anyone would seem like an improvement after Arians, but I am liking it!

jmdajr

Oh you guys whipped them so bad they didn't want anymore. That Buffalo game is one of the biggest beatdowns in league history. 300 yards rushing and passing is incredible. I can only imagine how that is going with Bills fans on meassage boards and radio.

There was a TD pass where the 49ers were inside the 10 and Alex threw a short pass to Manningham. There wasn't a Bills player within 10 yards of him. Really poor effort by their D, but understandable

mario! mario! mario!

Our run defense is horrible dude.
Not yesterday they weren't. It was like 2010 again.

Speaking of good playcalling. I am liking Haley more and more every week. Not sure if he is really good or it is just anyone would seem like an improvement after Arians, but I am liking it!
He's not even doing anything too crazy. It's just a balanced offense that best utilizes the pieces on the field. What a breath of fresh air.

bionic77

Not yesterday they weren't. It was like 2010 again.

He's not even doing anything too crazy. It's just a balanced offense that best utilizes the pieces on the field. What a breath of fresh air.
Lets wait a few weeks before we start saying it is 2010 all over again. Packers fans were saying the same shit. I won't place too much of anything into a game against Reid. I am just happy that we won and the Bungles lost.

And yeah I agree that Haley is not doing anything too crazy, but that is usually the mark of a very good o-coordinator. Before Mendy came back we could not block or run it well so he played to our strengths and was running a short yardage offense. If the run game continues to perform I am hoping he starts to dial up some longer pass plays and that our receivers actually catch the balls thrown to them.

Sucks the Eagles lost yesterday. Every year they give away a few games that they should absolutely win. They really need to check the wavier wire or make a trade for a new Center. Cards and Steelers just blitzed the a gap all game and got huge pressure on Vick. Thank god the Giants were nice enough not to do that, but they cant count on other teams being so nice. 4 times this year the Eagles were losing by one score going into the final offensive possession, and all 4 times Vick has lead them down the field for the go ahead score. Sucks the D couldnt hold it this time.

You guys are playing a lot of tight games. Won't win them all. FWIW, most Steeler fans were holding their breath, crossing fingers and toes and sacrificing future unborn children to the football gods that Suisham would make that kick.

Lets wait a few weeks before we start saying it is 2010 all over again. Packers fans were saying the same shit. I won't place too much of anything into a game against Reid. I am just happy that we won and the Bungles lost.
I said yesterday felt like 2010. Not gonna proclaim them back or anything.

Hopefully this will shut the fairweather Steelers fans up. This 2 weeks has been hell. Every Steelers focused board i've gone too has been all "fire Lebeau" "fire Tomlin" "cut Timmons" "change to a 4-3". 3 fucking games in.

You guys are playing a lot of tight games. Won't win them all. FWIW, most Steeler fans were holding their breath, crossing fingers and toes and sacrificing future unborn children to the football gods that Suisham would make that kick.

I thought I was gonna have a heart attack when Sushi was lining up to kick. Our season was on his leg.

bionic77

:lol so true

No one in my house felt at all confident in that kick.

Also speaking of qb rankings I find it hilarious that anyone other than Eli is number one. I think Ben has clearly been the 2nd best qb, though you could make a strong argument for Ryan.

Yeah the cb bit on the slant and then manningham faded to the corner. It was a poor effort but you also have to give credit to us. You don't have 2 games like this and say "well it only happened because the other team quit!" I guarantee no one else in the NFC west beats these teams with that margin of victory

Slo

And why is Slo sporting a Matt Leinart avatar?

Because I looked at the history of your shitty franchise for a former great player and decided he's probably the only guy likely to be recognized by anyone outside of Houston.

Now, let's both hope you guys can pull one more win out of your ass before the wheels fall off of this thing.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Hopefully this will shut the fairweather Steelers fans up. This 2 weeks has been hell. Every Steelers focused board i've gone too has been all "fire Lebeau" "fire Tomlin" "cut Timmons" "change to a 4-3". 3 fucking games in.
Overreaction from football fans? You don't say...

Narag

God I hope that game doesn't bite then. I'm imagining a world where the colts started 7-1.

MechDX

Because I looked at the history of your shitty franchise for a former great player and decided he's probably the only guy likely to be recognized by anyone outside of Houston.

Now, let's both hope you guys can pull one more win out of your ass before the wheels fall off of this thing.

Good morning to you too! XOXO

Fox318

( ゚ Д゚)

squicken

mario! mario! mario!

I went and looked at the play, and it's just such a bad defense. The DB has no chance. There's no inside help. Manningham has 7 yards to run in either direction. Not sure how they put a guy on an island that big near the goal line.

Maybe he doesn't give the best effort but he is totally set up for failure. There's a safety not on screen but he's all the way over on the strong side. No help at all

mannrgshf.jpg

Thoughts on the Dolphins-Bengals game:

First off, Tannehill continues to impress me. His numbers weren't mind-blowing or anything (17/26 for 223) but he didn't turn the ball over at all which is huge for this team and he made some fantastic plays on big 3rd downs. Also, this guy can throw the ball on the run extremely well.

That said, I'm starting to worry about the running game which looked pretty dreadful yesterday against the average run defense of the Bengals. The Dolphins had 68 yards rushing as a team which is pitiful, and if that aspect of their game doesn't pick up in the coming weeks then I don't see them winning more than 5 or 6 games this season. Reggie Bush just doesn't look like he's 100% after that injury in the Jets game, he averaged a Chris Johnson-like 2.5 yards a carry.

Oddly enough, the Dolphins pass defense looked solid for once. Dalton had a respectable 234 yards passing but he threw 2 picks, one of which cost the Bengals the game, and he was very poor on third down (Bengals were 2 for 14 for the game). Sean Smith played very well against A.J. Greene for the most part, he only had 65 yards receiving and one TD which came on a short fade route. The run defense continued to be dominant besides a few 10+ yarders giving up a total of 80 yards on the day.

I stood up for Dan Carpenter after he blew it in the Jets game with two missed FGs but it's hard to defend him at this point. He missed a huge FG last week that would have put the Cardinals away and he missed another in the 4th quarter against the Bengals. This team isn't good enough to handle that. Luckily Nugent returned the favor this time, though.

Overall I'm pretty happy with where the team is at. They've been competitive in every game so far (besides 5 minutes against the Texans) and they seem to be improving week to week. I'm liking the job Philbin has done so far and even the play-calling seems like a big improvement over last year. If they can continue to find ways to finish games like they did against the Bengals I could see them winning 8 or 9 games this year.

I haven't followed the Colts. What was their 1 bad loss that shouldnt have been a loss?
I believe Jags, last minute TD to Cecil Shorts. I thought the Colts would be a winnable game for the Browns, but idk anymore. The game should show case the differences in a Qb like Luck and Weeden

jmdajr

I went and looked at the play, and it's just such a bad defense. The DB has no chance. There's no inside help. Manningham has 7 yards to run in either direction. Not sure how they put a guy on an island that big near the goal line.

Maybe he doesn't give the best effort but he is totally set up for failure. There's a safety not on screen but he's all the way over on the strong side. No help at all

Well Mario just said in an interview it wasn't the Coach's fault. He said the whole D has to take responsibility.

DeaconKnowledge said:
There's overreaction, and then there's firing the entire organization and releasing all the players off of one bad loss.
Amusingly I think it's WORSE from fanbases of teams that have had success because they automatically expect it every week. Heaven forbid the team struggles at any point. I actively avoid BBI after a loss because some of the ridiculous comments and overreactions that happen.

DeaconKnowledge said:
At least Giants fans let the losses pile up before their annual "fire Coughlin" campaign.
I wish it started sooner!

Draxal said:
WTF IS KILLBRIDE DOING WITH THIS RED ZONE OFFENSE.
Frankman - you're back!?

On Colon -- yes, his pass protection was awful. But those holes Mendy was running through? A lot of them were on Colon's side.

On Haley -- still sick of kicking FGs once we get into the red zone. One of those was obviously on Cotchery tripping over his own foot. But we need 6 down there, not 3. Our D is just not gonna hold up (as is obvious with all the injuries). We will lose games this year if the O can't punch in more TDs.

On Reid's playcalling -- lolololololololol... that Vick QB draw inside the 5, that he fumbled into the end zone. Why in the flying fuck on 1st down would you run that? 1, you know your QB is glass; 2, you know your QB can't hold onto the football and 3, you have Shady in the backfield. Thank you based Reid for being a complete dumbass!!!

Top Bottom