• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 6 |OT| The C-Word Is For Lovers

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Still better than the Falcons Bus.

NRYI7.jpg

Wrayfield

Oh wow, interesting. I've been watching pretty much every week for five years now and have gone to a few Niners games every year as well, but I've never noticed this :lol crazy.

Regarding your question earlier, actually, the bean bag marks the spot of the turnover for the refs, as a player you don't notice that little thing. Fun fact, as a player I once threw it back at the ref (it was my 2nd game or so) because I thought he lost something (it landed right next to me). I didn't know much about football back then other than run there, hit that. Ref looked really confused at me, threw the bag right were it was again.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
lol at this old article about what a mistake it was for the Texans to draft Watt...

Texans will rue the night they took Pizza Boy J.J. Watt over Nick Fairley, Houston lover

Man lol Watt has taken a massive shit over everything this guy thought and predicted about him. I love it.

http://houston.culturemap.com/newsd...51251044031093":"og.likes"}&action_ref_map=[]

for the lazy...

"A star fell right into the Houston Texans laps on draft night, like a blessing from the football gods — only Rick Smith, Gary Kubiak and Wade Phillips didn't grab him. Instead, they punted Nick Fairley right back into the boo-y night.

Fairley landed with the Detroit Lions, where he'll collect Pro Bowl berths for years to come. The Texans took a former Pizza Hut deliveryman instead. But that pizza boy sure has a lot of character.

That's really what it seems to have come down to for the Texans again with the selection of Wisconsin's J.J. Watt. This franchise may never make the playoffs under Bob McNair, but it's sure going to have high-quality gentlemen on the roster. (As long as you dismiss a suspension for performance-enhancing drugs or two.)

Nick Fairley is a character, but he's not of high character. He's something of a dirty player, a cheap-shot artist who is apt to literally kick an opponent when he's down. Fairley may not always say "Yes Sir" to his coaches. He'd bring some challenges to say the least.

But, he's also the most dominant defensive player available. Fairley — not do-everything quarterback Cam Newton — controlled the national championship game for Auburn. He disrupts offenses the way that Charlie Sheen disrupts hotel rooms.

Yes, he's also nasty, mean and hard for coaches to completely rein in. Sounds like exactly what the do-good Texans need. Sounds like some of the best defensive players in NFL history.

Bill Parcells never asked Lawrence Taylor to be a choir boy. Or even to stay awake in meetings for that matter. You can't have a roster filled with those type of problem talents. But you'd better have one or two, if you want to win. The Texans are too often paralyzed by their niceness, by their inability to find a spine when the game's on the line.

Fairley isn't in Taylor's league as a player or a problem. He's more along the lines of the Texans' reclamation running back Arian Foster on the difficulty scale. And how's that turned out for Smith and Kubiak?

Still, they couldn't bring themselves to take a chance with the 11th pick in the draft. Instead of going big, instead of grabbing the best defensive player in the draft (a guy who Mel Kiper was touting as the No. 1 overall pick not long ago), the Texans played it safe and went with the pizza boy.

Watt could turn out to be a fine enough player. With his "high motor" that new Texans defensive coordinator Wade Phillips keeps talking about, Watt should be at least a serviceable defensive lineman for years to come. He'll work and work, just like he did in going from being out of football for six months, stuck delivering Pizza Hut in his little hometown of Pewaukee, Wis., to walking on to the Badgers as the lowest of scrubs to becoming an impact player in the Big Ten.

"He's an off-the-charts human being," Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema said of Watt leading up to the draft.

Watt is a great story. But it's hard to imagine him ever being a star. It's hard to see him changing games for Houston on defense.

That's what the Texans desperately needed. There were two players in this draft who could have done that. One, LSU cornerback Patrick Peterson, was long gone by the time the Texans turn came up, with Smith unwilling to pay the price to move up to grab the best player at Houston's most-needed position (another questionable move, but at least one that can be justified). The other sat right there though, still on the board and Houston said no thanks to Fairley.

It's one of those moves that can define a franchise. When the Minnesota Vikings had a chance to go bold in the 1998 draft and they did, stealing Randy Moss with the 21st pick when other teams ran from his issues. Moss eventually drove himself out of Minnesota in embarrassing fashion (some might even say, franchise-embarrassing fashion), but his seven seasons as a game changer paid off that risk a billionfold.

The Texans had a chance at that type of impact risk force ... and they ran smiling politely the other way.

As much as anything, this is why the Smith, Kubiak and now Phillips regime will never completely work. Too safe. Too fearful. Too unimaginative.

Fairley won the Lombardi Award in Houston. He chose to come back and train in Houston for the NFL Draft, understanding innovative training techniques live here. His agent is based in Houston. He's a perfect fit in the 3-4 scheme that Phillips plans to employ in Houston.

You couldn't script a more perfect landing. And the Texans' now three-headed brain trust punted.

Something you still can't expect to see opposing offenses doing too much of in Reliant Stadium this fall. Not without Fairley, not without the star who was sent back to the sky.

"This is fun town," Fairley told me during his Lombardi visit. "I love the chill vibe even though it's big city."

Houston would have loved him too. Only the Texans don't believe in stars. They just want to feel safe.
"

Chris_Baldwin_by_Julie_Soefer_arms_crossed.136w_181h.jpg
<3's
24800.jpg

swatt.gif

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I lol'ed at "NAILED IT!"

lol same.

"NAILED IT!!!

"...This franchise may never make the playoffs under Bob McNair."

"Watt should be at least a serviceable defensive lineman for years to come."

"...it's hard to imagine [Watt] ever being a star. It's hard to see him changing games for Houston on defense."

"...the Smith, Kubiak and now Phillips regime will never completely work."

"...don't be so sure that Vince Young still will not turn out to be a game-changing quarterback in the NFL before his career is done." "

Bowser

PIT @ TEN

KC @ TB
IND @ NYJ
CIN @ CLE
DET @ PHI
OAK @ ATL
STL @ MIA
DAL @ BAL
------------
BUF @ ARI
NE @ SEA
NYG @ SF
MIN @ WAS
GB @ HOU

DEN @ SD

As for Don Banks...

Newton and Young's quarterbacking talents are, of course, not completely synonymous, with Newton's passing skills as a rookie far exceeding Young's, and Newton's running game setting a new standard for quarterbacks of any era. But in a big-picture way...

or in other words:

"I'm a no-talent hack that can't back up my statement with real statistics, but if you look at the big picture (i.e. the fact that they're both black dual-threat QBs who struggled in their sophomore years), you can kind of see what I was trying to get at."

Mindlog

I imagine that man enjoys nothing, he wears Sanchez jerseys.

EDIT: So, XCOM is pretty awesome, that's all.
Reading that thread is surreal. Weird seeing a new game after so long that remains so true to the original. It's making me feel SNES old.

I'm hoping to start a game on Friday. There will be at least one game where I name my team after quarterbacks, but I am having a hard time thinking of all the lady quarterbacks. There's Brady, Newton, Cutler and Sanchez. Going to need a few more.

ari

Banned
Hey fantomex, I'm not asking for too much but I am a die hard bears fan.

Can you add me on there for the next revision?

Damn theres more Jags fan than us

Man thats F'up. I thought Domino was a Titan fan too..

Also, how many avatar bets are confirmed for this weeks Packs/Texans game? Wish I can be here but I be in Vegas. So I'll drink a cold one for ya...

Matrix

I love the fact the Titans fan base is basically dead here :)

"damn theres more Jags fan than us"

That's the saddest thing of all.

ari

Banned
Why don't the jets just use tebow as a fullback? Horrible horrible play calling and coaching on that team.

Also, How did this team fall so fast? I have never seen a good team degrade so rapidly like this.

Predicting complete firing across the board from QB to coaching next season.

Spinluck

Reading that thread is surreal. Weird seeing a new game after so long that remains so true to the original. It's making me feel SNES old.

I'm hoping to start a game on Friday. There will be at least one game where I name my team after quarterbacks, but I am having a hard time thinking of all the lady quarterbacks. There's Brady, Newton, Cutler and Sanchez. Going to need a few more.

Yea, this game deserves every bit of support it gets, it feels seems so fresh, yet feels so old. It exceeded my expectations.

Loving it so far.

And I think you've nailed all the QB's, can't really think of anymore, lol.

I'll add you tonight pal for asking so nicely. And because you have to put up with Cutler.

What about me Fantom, he has to put up with Cutler, but we're only supposed to win 4 games this season, and we drafted a bust QB. :-(

I would be honored to be added under the Colts

Top Bottom