• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 6 |OT| The C-Word Is For Lovers

I didn't pay a ton of attention to the game, but I cannot figure out how the Dolphins won that game. I guess when the Rams are happy to rely on their field goal kicker and he shits the bed, it's going to be rough.
The Rams had a ton of yards on the wrong side of the field, basically. Bradford looked great driving down the field and then fizzled out at the wrong time on every single drive (except for the lone TD drive late in the game). The Rams red zone offense was terrible and the Dolphins red zone defense was solid. It was your stereotypical "bend but don't break" game.

As far as the kicking Zuerlein was 2/5 but he really only should have had 1 of those misses (a 30 some yarder). His other two misses were a 52 yarder (makeable but tough given how windy it was) and a 66 yarder (lol wut). So I'll admit that the Dolphins still definitely caught a break on those misses but the 2/5 is a bit misleading given the conditions.

The Dolphins were 1 for 1 in the red zone plus a nice 29 yard TD pass so their offense wasn't very effective but it was efficient. That was basically the story of the game.

All things considered I think the Dolphins deserved this game less than the Jets game or Cardinals game that were lost, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. Year of the freaking kicker, man.

Looking forward I'm definitely concerned by how easily the Rams shredded the Dolphins D most of the day, even if it was on the wrong side of the field. A better team that finishes in the red zone could put up some serious points on them if they keep that up.

Ezio

^
JpbCn.gif

Glorious!

Funny how all the drive by 49ers posters went away

NFL-Age keeps watch

Check Yo' selves at the door fools

Cdno7.gif

I'm still here, just waiting to wake up, oh wait.

eznark

Banned
The Rams had a ton of yards on the wrong side of the field, basically. Bradford looked great driving down the field and then fizzled out at the wrong time on every single drive (except for the lone TD drive late in the game). The Rams red zone offense was terrible and the Dolphins red zone defense was solid. It was your stereotypical "bend but don't break" game.

As far as the kicking Zuerlein was 2/5 but he really only should have had 1 of those misses (a 30 some yarder). His other two misses were a 52 yarder (makeable but tough given how windy it was) and a 66 yarder (lol wut). So I'll admit that the Dolphins still definitely caught a break on those misses but the 2/5 is a bit misleading given the conditions.

The Dolphins were 1 for 1 in the red zone plus a nice 29 yard TD pass so their offense wasn't very effective but it was efficient. That was basically the story of the game.

All things considered I think the Dolphins deserved this game less than the Jets game or Cardinals game that were lost, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. Year of the freaking kicker, man.

Looking forward I'm definitely concerned by how easily the Rams shredded the Dolphins D most of the day, even if it was on the wrong side of the field. A better team that finishes in the red zone could put up some serious points on them if they keep that up.

Start calling yourself Legatron, you better make a 52 yarder. He shit the bed.

Start calling yourself Legatron, you better make a 52 yarder. He shit the bed.
Well he certainly had the distance. He nailed those kicks, even the 66 yarder, the wind just got the best of him.

Side note: Also incredibly discouraging was the Dolphins 19 yards rushing on the day. Reggie Bush is worthless at anything less than 100% because of his stupid east-west running style.

eznark

Banned
That's really the thing that sticks out to me. 192 total yards should not be winning games for the Dolphins.

If the Rams can't score 7 when they get into the red zone, I like the Packers chances next week.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Jets won. Tebow backup for eternity as a result.
They definitely used Tebow more effectively this game, but I'd like to see it opened up a bit.

First, let him throw more. Defenses are pretty much expecting a run when he's in, so mix it up and keep them on their toes. Look at how well that fake punt worked out when he threw it. No one saw it coming and the Jets got 23 yards out of it.

Also, leave him in for a series or two every now and then. Keep the offense's momentum moving and keep the other team's defense off-balance. I think switching Tebow and Sanchez out play after play just disrupts things and doesn't do either quarterback any favors.

Drew Brees should take some notes from the book of Tannehill:

ESPN said:
I asked Tannehill on Sunday night if he felt slighted at not being mentioned in the same sentence as Luck and RG3 so far this year.

"With wins, our team will get more recognition. That's all I care about," Tannehill responded. "We want to go out and get wins and string them together. Personal recognition doesn't even matter."

Ladies and gentlemen, RYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN TAANEHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILL!!!

That's really the thing that sticks out to me. 192 total yards should not be winning games for the Dolphins.

If the Rams can't score 7 when they get into the red zone, I like the Packers chances next week.
I agree, it was a very ugly win but at this point I'll take it. The Packers will destroy the Rams unless Aaron goes back to "hold onto the ball for 10 seconds every play" mode (unlikely).

Striker

Drew Brees should take some notes from the book of Tannehill:
Reminds me, Eli had his 24 (?) consecutive game of having 200+ pass yards snapped yesterday. I'm sure in that final drive where he was handing off to Wilson and Bradshaw to kill clock, Brees would have been going five wide and cheesing shorts routes to Jimmy Graham.

eznark

Banned
I agree, it was a very ugly win but at this point I'll take it. The Packers will destroy the Rams unless Aaron goes back to "hold onto the ball for 10 seconds every play" mode (unlikely).

Oh, definitely a good win for you guys, not trying to take anything away from it, but seeing as the Packers play the Rams next week I'm kind of focused on what the fuck happened on their end.

Those are the types of wins that are huge for team trying to grow and coaches trying to build. You don't get to keep your job with many 2-14 seasons, but win 5-7 and people will let you kind of build your vision a bit without too much immediate pressure.

Oh, definitely a good win for you guys, not trying to take anything away from it, but seeing as the Packers play the Rams next week I'm kind of focused on what the fuck happened on their end.

Those are the types of wins that are huge for team trying to grow and coaches trying to build. You don't get to keep your job with many 2-14 seasons, but win 5-7 and people will let you kind of build your vision a bit without too much immediate pressure.
Indeed, and one of the things that really separates a good team from a bad team is the ability to win very close games, especially when it looks like you should have lost on paper.

If you go back to the Dolphins 1-15 season in '07 you will see that they lost 6 games by 7 points or less. They were right there in a lot of those games but they absolutely could not find a way to finish them off. Now, look at '08 when Sparano comes in and tricks us into thinking he's a good coach, the Dolphins go 10-6 and win 7 games by 7 points or less. For the teams in the NFL who haven't really established themselves as a perennial powerhouse and are looking to make improvements through rebuilding that is oftentimes all that separates the teams that look good from the teams that look bad. That's one of the reasons I love the NFL so much, but it does suck when your team is the one who can't figure out how to finish those games.

The Dolphins of the present still have a long way to go, they've already shown that they aren't great at finishing games in the 4th quarter, but this win over the Rams is exactly the kind of ugly win they needed to get some confidence going. It's the second week in a row that the defense has stepped up to finish a game on a potential game winning drive as well which is very encouraging.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I'm still here, just waiting to wake up, oh wait.

So you admit to being a drive-by poster?

First time seeing you in here Junior

Oh well look at this:

o0uB4.png

I'm talking about fans that drive-by and try to say Give my QB love, when everyone knew Alexis is not even B tier Diabetic Cutler level
Hell his back-up looks more skill oriented + talented (you know, potential)
/man-crush Cap Kap

Also apologies Hito, there is only one true 7-9 Division winner, /bow
Skittles Rained that Glorious Playoffs

linkboy

The 49ers D didn't perform to their standards, but a lot of what happened wasn't their fault. 13 of the 23 points scored on them came off of turnovers. The Giants picked off Smith twice in the third quarter and returned both to the red zone, and both times San Fran's defense held them to field goals. The touchdown in the third quarter came off of a 66 yard kickoff return by David Wilson. They usually win the turnover battle and the special teams battle, and they lost both badly in that game.

The 49ers really shit the bed on offense more than anything else, even if Ahmad Bradshaw's excellent performance on the ground thoroughly embarrassed them. For a team coming off a record-setting game offensively, they never managed to get anything going.

Can't really get anything going when you keep swapping out your QB to run some gimmicky, trick play offense.

It also doesn't help that you quit running the ball when you go down 7-3.

I'm not excusing how bad Alex played, but the 49ers offensive gameplan was downright horrible. I really had no fucking clue what in the hell Harbaugh and Roman were doing.

Oh look, we just completed a 55yd pass, lets swap out our QB and run the most obvious play, that everyone knows is coming.

That was some Jimmy Raye level bull shit (I thought those days were in the past).

What makes matters worse, I'm in Afghanistan, I woke up at 12:30am to watch that disaster, sacrificing a good night sleep.

It wasn't pretty but a win is a win. 6-0!

We really missed having Nicholas in coverage on defense though. Hopefully Peters is able to come back after the bye week since he's pretty good at stuffing the run.

I'd say 2 INTs were on Ryan, that 3rd one he got crushed as he was throwing it. Just a bad all around day for the team, but we still managed to get the win.

I hope Vick is still starting when we play the Eagles in 2 weeks, our D could use some confidence boosting turnovers.

bionic77

When does bionic ever stop whining about injuries?
You Packer fans have the worst fucking English.

Big difference between crying and whining.

And we never use it as an excuse. I am have been onboard the shit team lucks it way to SB bandwagon all season. The problem is there is so much competition for that title. So many garbage teams that I can't say I have any confidence that we will be the one with the right stuff.

^
JpbCn.gif

Glorious!

Funny how all the drive by 49ers posters went away

NFL-Age keeps watch

Check Yo' selves at the door fools

Cdno7.gif
I felt like last year was the Niners year. You rarely get a second chance in the NFL. I am glad they didn't take advantage of it last year though because I still think they lose to the Pats. Small hands and his dick of a head coach would not be able to perform under that kind of pressure.

verbum

Ah, what a glorious morning.
6-0.

I'm going to read all the sports writers, blogs, and posts about how the Falcons are "not for real", "overrated", "damn lucky", "never make it past the first round", "Failcons", and "Cowardly Ryan". Like water off a duck's back.
Live in the moment I say. The future is not until tomorrow. One day at a time.
An enjoyable 13 days of a bye week.

Great games by the NY Giants and the Green Bay Packers. It seems like a lot of the favorites were in "not sure if we want this win" mode yesterday but the Giants and Packers demonstrated they have "want" (to borrow a term from a now defunct podcast).

I was very impressed with the Raiders yesterday. Looks like they are heading in the right direction. Good planning by their coaches and good execution of the plan by the players except for penalties. Their 12 penalties helped us a lot.

jmdajr

Surprised I got out of bed and made it to work. I really wasn't going to be that down against losing to GB, especially since beating our AFC rivals is more important.
But man, what a pathetic performance.

Team is above average, good..but can't hang with teams like Saints,Packers,Giants etc.
This group is not built to play from behind.

And stupid Connor Barwin hasn't done shit all season and he's out there being an idiot. Plus I don't know what was up with Daniel Manning. Flash backs to being a Chicago Bear, I don't know.
Someone said his knee was being twisted can't confirm.

anyhow these are the teams we have beat in the last 3 years..

Dolphins
Jags
Broncos
Titans
Jets

Colts
Dolphins
Steelers
Titans
Jags
Browns
Buccs
Falcons (is probably being set up for a loss like the Texans, but we'll see)
Bengals

Colts
Redskins
Raiders
Chiefs
Titans
Jags

I hope we can somehow beat the Ravens Sunday and be on top of the magnificent AFC conference.

Edit: So that's how Patriots lost? that's some 2010 Texans shit...

eznark

Banned
You're hot on Tabris' heels, three-teamer!

I know you guys don't have colleges in Germany, only institutions whose sole aim is to rewrite history and pretend WWII never happened, but in America our schools of higher learning also field athletics. And Russell Wilson happens to be a Badger. I'd tell you to eat shit but I don't think it's desert time yet in Germany.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I still can't believe the Giants beat the team of the forever. They let us win the Super Bowl last season and now they let us beat them so we could be at the top of the NFC East and tie for the 3rd best record in the conference. Further, they felt bad that Ahmad Bradshaw was catching so much heat due to how Brown was able to run a few weeks back and they allowed him another big game. I need to run down the tally:

The Niners:

1) Gave us the W

2) Gave us the ball and more chances to score

3) Allowed Bradshaw to have a big game

4) Wanted to see Cruz salsa so they let him have a couple of completions and a touchdown.

5) Thought that they were meanies to Eli last season and didn't sack him

6) Showed their complete disdain for Alex by ushering the Giants DL right into him

Thanks SF!

Fucking COMPLETE and TOTAL DESTRUCTION in EVERY PHASE of the game, even - and especially - OUTCOACHED. GO GIANTS BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITCH!!!

i have to come up with an avatar for FMT for the week, need ideas. :/

d[-_-]b

Banned
Reminds me, Eli had his 24 (?) consecutive game of having 200+ pass yards snapped yesterday. I'm sure in that final drive where he was handing off to Wilson and Bradshaw to kill clock, Brees would have been going five wide and cheesing shorts routes to Jimmy Graham.

Yeah I have mixed feelings about that, Eli doesn't need to pad his stats to prove he's a great qb... also those short fields, and not coming away with touchdowns was a bit disappointing... but I guess lack of momentum in sense, Eli seems better with his back against the wall rather than given an easy score...

Cagey

Banned
I know you guys don't have colleges in Germany, only institutions whose sole aim is to rewrite history and pretend WWII never happened, but in America our schools of higher learning also field athletics. And Russell Wilson happens to be a Badger. I'd tell you to eat shit but I don't think it's desert time yet in Germany.

That work was given.

RBH

If no one minds I'll make one after my meeting

Sweet.

:lol

Milchjon

I think that's exactly Tabris excuse, only more eloquently put.
And I'm not sure you can call the athletically successful colleges "schools of higher learning". More like money making schemes with an appendix of middle school level learning facilities. Vince Young says hello!

I must say, you still made me chuckle

eznark

Banned
If that's his excuse it doesn't wash, since none of the people he ballwashes went to the same college and I am pretty sure he is from some bizarre and uninhabited frozen lands north even of Wisconsin.
I still can't believe the Giants beat the team of the forever. They let us win the Super Bowl last season and now they let us beat them so we could be at the top of the NFC East and tie for the 3rd best record in the conference. Further, they felt bad that Ahmad Bradshaw was catching so much heat due to how Brown was able to run a few weeks back and they allowed him another big game. I need to run down the tally:

The Niners:

1) Gave us the W

4) Wanted to see Cruz salsa so they let him have a couple of completions and a touchdown.

6) Showed their complete disdain for Alex by ushering the Giants DL right into him

Thanks SF!

Fucking COMPLETE and TOTAL DESTRUCTION in EVERY PHASE of the game, even - and especially - OUTCOACHED. GO GIANTS BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITCH!!!

Averaging 5.1 yards per carry? Let's let Smith throw it 30 times!!

COACH OF THE FOREVER IS THE GREATEST HARBAUGH IS THE BEST COACH IS THE GREATEST COACH OF FOREVER COACH OF THE FOREVER IS THE GREATEST HARBAUGH IS THE BEST COACH IS THE GREATEST COACH OF FOREVERCOACH OF THE FOREVER IS THE GREATEST HARBAUGH IS THE BEST COACH IS THE GREATEST COACH OF FOREVERCOACH OF THE FOREVER IS THE GREATEST HARBAUGH IS THE BEST COACH IS THE GREATEST COACH OF FOREVERCOACH OF THE FOREVER IS THE GREATEST HARBAUGH IS THE BEST COACH IS THE GREATEST COACH OF FOREVERCOACH OF THE FOREVER IS THE GREATEST HARBAUGH IS THE BEST COACH IS THE GREATEST COACH OF FOREVERCOACH OF THE FOREVER IS THE GREATEST HARBAUGH IS THE BEST COACH IS THE GREATEST COACH OF FOREVERCOACH OF THE FOREVER IS THE GREATEST HARBAUGH IS THE BEST COACH IS THE GREATEST COACH OF FOREVERCOACH OF THE FOREVER IS THE GREATEST HARBAUGH IS THE BEST COACH IS THE GREATEST COACH OF FOREVERCOACH OF THE FOREVER IS THE GREATEST HARBAUGH IS THE BEST COACH IS THE GREATEST COACH OF FOREVER

The Niners:

1) Gave us the W

Thanks SF!

Except my avatar bet wasn't with you since you were too scared to bet! It was with db!

Talon

Oh, college athletics, where we claim athletes that only played one season.

this_guy

Texans really embarrassed themselves last night. Oh well at least they're in the AFC and the other best AFC team (Ravens) just got decimated by injuries.

Talon

I feel terrible for Baltimore. Definitely losing Webb for the season and potentially losing Ray Ray. Yeesh.
Ah, what a glorious morning.
6-0.

I'm going to read all the sports writers, blogs, and posts about how the Falcons are "not for real", "overrated", "damn lucky", "never make it past the first round", "Failcons", and "Cowardly Ryan". Like water off a duck's back.
Live in the moment I say. The future is not until tomorrow. One day at a time.
An enjoyable 13 days of a bye week.

Great games by the NY Giants and the Green Bay Packers. It seems like a lot of the favorites were in "not sure if we want this win" mode yesterday but the Giants and Packers demonstrated they have "want" (to borrow a term from a now defunct podcast).

I was very impressed with the Raiders yesterday. Looks like they are heading in the right direction. Good planning by their coaches and good execution of the plan by the players except for penalties. Their 12 penalties helped us a lot.
We played like absolute shit for the last three weeks but managed to escape with Ws. These are games we weren't winning last year.

You can either take that as a sign of resiliency or luck. The offense has been letting the defense down the last few weeks but showing up in the 4th quarter when it matters. I'm happier winning shitty games then losing them.

The Bye comes at the right time, though. We need to get back to how we played against San Diego.

Top Bottom