• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 6 |OT| The C-Word Is For Lovers

LJ11

No and sort of. I already assumed Seattle would win. It's not that Belichick thinks we can outgun everyone, he thinks we can play conservative defense the entire way and force mediocre players to make mistakes. I don't agree with him, but we don't have any other options.

They're not really executing the conservative D either. Everyone is getting behind their defense on a regular basis. Cue up Belichick yelling "Do Your Job."

eznark

Banned
They're not really executing the conservative D either. Everyone is getting behind their defense on a regular basis. Cue up Belichick yelling "Do Your Job."

That was really just awful coaching on the touchdown. Wilson is like any athlete first, QB second. His deep ball is exceptional but he struggles with accuracy and timing routes. So what do the Pats do? Fall asleep deep, man under and let a guy get behind them. That's like the one situation where a soft zone would have made all the sense in the world.

Sanjuro

I don't mean conservative in the traditional sense I guess. If you watch all the games, it's been the same show for a few years now. They are light on the line, but effective now against the run. I almost think the defensive backs are being told to play a particular style to make up for their shortcomings. It's pretty strange overall.

Wrayfield

You're the most oddly bitter Dolphins fan ever. You've never even been relevant long enough to be anyone's rival, is that why you are trying to drum up some animosity here?

Ez, Phins/Jets has been a rivalry for ages. Not relevant to anyone outside of the two organizations, I agree on that, but relevant for us and them. I know I will always hate that franchise with a passion. Surely, you have a smiliar foe? A team not relevant anymore but you somehow always hate everything about them.

eznark

Banned
Ez, Phins/Jets has been a rivalry for ages. Not relevant to anyone outside of the two organizations, I agree on that, but relevant for us and them. I know I will always hate that franchise with a passion. Surely, you have a smiliar foe? A team not relevant anymore but you somehow always hate everything about them.

Slo, he wants me to take a shot at you. This is clearly a softball to hammer the ineptness and irrelevance of the Vikings. I want you to know that I won't take the gift. I will not make fun of the complete and utter ambivalence all of America has towards your beloved Vikings. I'm better than that.

Tom Penny

I don't mean conservative in the traditional sense I guess. If you watch all the games, it's been the same show for a few years now. They are light on the line, but effective now against the run. I almost think the defensive backs are being told to play a particular style to make up for their shortcomings. It's pretty strange overall.

The secondary just isn't good..couple that with an inept offense down the stretch of games and you start racking up L's.

jmdajr

Only Smokey gets a Texan pass?

Well from what I saw in my section everyone was pretty cordial to the Packer fans. Congratulated them etc. No hard feelings. Everyone got along fine at the tailgate.

Indeed, I've always had a bitter hatred for the Jets regardless of how good the Dolphins or Jets were that year.

Sanjuro

The secondary just isn't good..couple that with an inept offense down the stretch of games and you start racking up L's.

That is the obvious part. It's the way they are being told to play. They all keep doing the same foolish things, so I doubt every one of their instincts is to play back to the ball.

Tom Penny

That is the obvious part. It's the way they are being told to play. They all keep doing the same foolish things, so I doubt every one of their instincts is to play back to the ball.

They aren't being taught to get beat over the top. That is for sure. I already know the defense stinks. I'm more disappointed in the offense especially Brady yesterday. They aren't getting it done at the end of games and putting it on the defense and we all know how that works out.

LJ11

They're playing a lot of split safety coverage the last few years, more zone this year, so it's a matter of keeping everything in front of them and not getting beat over the top. I think they're fine with teams having to dink and dunk their way to 3 points, not about yards but points. But they keep giving up big plays, and it's not just this week. Players are just not doing what they're told to do.

We laugh at Alex Smith and some of his ints yesterday, but I was finally glad to see a CB not vacate his position because he was being flooded. All year long we've watched the Niners complete wheel routes because DBs are playing the seam threat. Smith thought that shit was automatic until a DB stayed home.

Smokey

Refering to the Pats said:
"Me and (safety Earl Thomas) walked up to him and said, 'We're greater than you. We're better than you. You're just a man -- we're a team,'" Sherman told the News Tribune. "That's the Brady Bunch; this is a defense. We've got 11 players out there to play great ball, and we're never going to let one man beat us. It's not just about one man. If they've got 11 players out there on offense, then they're one hell of a team."

lol

They're playing a lot of split safety coverage the last few years, more zone this year, so it's a matter of keeping everything in front of them and not getting beat over the top. I think they're fine with teams having to dink and dunk their way to 3 points, not about yards but points. But they keep giving up big plays, and it's not just this week. Players are just not doing what they're told to do.

We laugh at Alex Smith and some of his ints yesterday, but I was finally glad to see a CB not vacate his position because he was being flooded. All year long we've watched the Niners complete wheel routes because DBs are playing the seam threat. Smith thought that shit was automatic until a DB stayed home.

Think the Giants were coached not to respect the deep threat?

Sanjuro

I think it's a bit of both still, primarily the player's skill sets prevent them from doing much else. Only time will tell. Baby steps.

Milchjon

I always wonder what happened to people to make them leave NFL GAF behind. Wasn't Tedesco! a Steelers fan? And the former Mr Snrub a Colts fan?

jmdajr

Would you say it's easier for GB fans to see their team on an away game than a home game? I always hear stories about tickets to Lambo being impossible to get.

Slo

Would you say it's easier for GB fans to see their team on an away game than a home game? I always hear stories about tickets to Lambo being impossible to get.

Five-ish years ago I got tickets at the 35 yard line, sixth row behind the Packers bench for the Viking game. $400/ticket.

eznark

Banned

Easier? No. Less expensive? Probably in most places. My tickets for the Colts game weren't cheap though. They were like $300 a pop.

Milchjon

Crazy talk.

Yeah, I don't think it's that clear either. Pats play worse than expected, Jets play as bad as expected, Dolphins play better than expected. In the end, I'd probably still say Pats>Jets>Dolphins, but it's close.

Whole division sucks this year. I just hope the NFC West doesn't sweep us.

eznark

Banned
I just figured for years it was probably easier flying to Detroit to see the Packers.

That doesn't seem easier than driving to Green Bay. Detroit is annoying as fuck to get to from Wisconsin.

It's always been easier to go to a Bears game than a Packers game though if you are in the SE.

jmdajr

That doesn't seem easier than driving to Green Bay. Detroit is annoying as fuck to get to from Wisconsin.

It's always been easier to go to a Bears game than a Packers game though if you are in the SE.

I just assumed flying. Is it pretty steep?

I think the Patriots will still win it but if they dont I think the Jets will.

Im not sold on the Dolphins and lol Bills.
I don't blame you on not being sold on the Dolphins but they have definitely been more consistent than the Bills or Jets. I hesitate to say more than that though, I firmly believe they will crash and burn if I accidentally get my hopes up slightly.

I'm never sold on the Sanchez led Jets, though. Never ever.

Rolle certainly played that way, dude didn't give a fuck and it cost him later in the game, but the damage was already done.

Giants were disciplined, think that was the biggest difference.

Yeah. Been surprised that people are paying so much attention to their deep guys. Smith needs time to hit them.

I don't blame you on not being sold on the Dolphins but they have definitely been more consistent than the Bills or Jets. I hesitate to say more than that though, I firmly believe they will crash and burn if I accidentally get my hopes up slightly.

I'm never sold on the Sanchez led Jets, though. Never ever.

If the Pats lose this week They are most likely dead.

bionic77

The Colts' Super Bowl loss crushed Mr. Snrub. He never reliably posted in here since.
Why are people so weak about losing?

As long as your team is not the Browns or Raiders they will turn it around eventually (and it is possible the Browns might turn it around in the next 10 years if they can ever find a qb). That is the beauty of football.

Tom Penny

The winner of the Pats/Jets game wins the East.

I wouldn't go that far. The Pats lost all 3 50/50 games which can bite them in the ass at the end of the Day. I think the Fins are better than the Jets. There are 3 teams above .500 right now in the AFC...all I know is they are the weaker conference without question.

Top Bottom