• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 6 |OT| The C-Word Is For Lovers

Milchjon

Yeah, but I think our memories are clouded by school days when we didn't care about that shit but were forced to read it. Now, I find them enjoyable every now and then.

I must admit I haven't read much of his other stuff. But Faust II pisses me off.

His language is a treat, sure. And Faust I was OK. But with Faust II he just seems to have said 'Fuck it, I'm going greek'. The whole thing is like a string of incoherent episodes.

And the conclusion is something that makes me rage. Dude gets pissy over not being enlightened, makes a deal with the devil, acts like total fuckhead for hundreds of pages, makes people's lives miserable, and in the end God just says, 'well, you were striving for something!' and it's all moot.

I'll read it again when I hit retirement age and don't feel like I'm wasting precious hours anymore. But until then, I'll go on hating it.

Wrayfield

I must admit I haven't read much of his other stuff. But Faust II pisses me off.

His language is a treat, sure. And Faust I was OK. But with Faust II he just seems to have said 'Fuck it, I'm going greek'. The whole thing is like a string of incoherent episodes.

And the conclusion is something that makes me rage. Dude gets pissy over not being enlightened, makes a deal with the devil, acts like total fuckhead for hundreds of pages, makes people's lives miserable, and in the end God just says, 'well, you were striving for something!' and it's all moot.

I'll read it again when I hit retirement age and don't feel like I'm wasting precious hours anymore. But until then, I'll go on hating it.

I don't think you need to wait that long. Once you finish uni, you will find that your brain readjusts to this kinda stuff. But when you're learning and there is so much new information coming in, I totally understand that you don't want to deal with that.

I know this is probably strange to most people, b/c you live in towns with competent media. But in STL they have some loser as the beat writer for the paper, and then every other person there covers the Cardinals. So no one tries to figure out what's really going on.

I can only think of Bernie and Burwell. Not a big fan of either. Constant rationalization of awful decisions at every level. After every shitty draft we would get the same color-by-numbers article about how the fans need to quit bitching about how shitty the draft was because the people drafting know better than us. No, as it turns out, they don't. (Obviously this year's was better. Jenkins is awesome, Brockers is doing well when not hurting himself, Givens and Richardson are both contributing. Then again, Quick isn't developing and Isaiah Pead is 4th on the depth chart last I heard.)

firen

This here be the new allegiance chart.

jj51w.jpg

Why was I cut :(

verbum

So Green Bay, how will your running game go Sunday with Benson out? Can it take pressure off Rodgers?

I'm wondering if GB can pull an upset with Aaron's arm only. Or keep within 4 points?

squicken

I can only think of Bernie and Burwell. Not a big fan of either. Constant rationalization of awful decisions at every level. After every shitty draft we would get the same color-by-numbers article about how the fans need to quit bitching about how shitty the draft was because the people drafting know better than us. No, as it turns out, they don't. (Obviously this year's was better. Jenkins is awesome, Brockers is doing well when not hurting himself, Givens and Richardson are both contributing. Then again, Quick isn't developing and Isaiah Pead is 4th on the depth chart last I heard.)

So far this draft looks good, but Quick has got to get on the field. Burwell pretty much said today it's a work ethic issue, which is a bad sign.

As far as he and Miklasz, they're okay for columnists, but they both basically defended Spags all the way until he was fired, then immediately started telling us all the bad crap that went down once he was gone

Kind of feel like the same thing is going on with Bradford. Way over-protected, though obviously he's not the Spags of QBs. For some reason they have no qualms about going after Pinkel or the Cards.

So Green Bay, how will your running game go Sunday with Benson out? Can it take pressure off Rodgers?
Good question.

McCarthy needs to adapt to the personnel.

Alex Green sucks out of the I but is good out of the gun and getting the ball in space (short passes).
Starks will have to show if he's worth a damn but it doesn't help when McCarthy calls sweeps all day.

I think the better question is: Will Jermichael Finley play?
With Cushing out, they should exploit the middle of the field all day long.

If not with Finley, the other TEs and by using Cobb and Jordy in the slot.

I'm wondering if GB can pull an upset with Aaron's arm only. Or keep within 4 points?
Jets don't have a running game and they hung in there with Sanchize.

Packers usually play to their competition

Those are my only sources of faith that we have a chance in this one.

Wrayfield

I would argue if they go out all pass it's something that O is more used to. Benson kinda seemed to get them out of a rhythm. If any O can survive w/o consistent running, it's the pack one.

Those are my only sources of faith that we have a chance in this one.
In 2010 I had no faith the Packers would beat the Jets at home yet they did 9-0.

I have far less confidence in them now opposed to then but hey puncher's chance.

I would argue if they go out all pass it's something that O is more used to. Benson kinda seemed to get them out of a rhythm. If any O can survive w/o consistent running, it's the pack one.
The entire O-Line wants to run more and even our RG spoke out in the media on McCarthy's shit playcalling.

I think the reason the pass game hasn't been good is because of Saturday being old and busted. Pocket collapsing a lot.

I think the reason the pass game hasn't been good is because of Saturday being old and busted. Pocket collapsing a lot.

Yuppp.

Biggest issue this season. But not just his performance physically. His unfamiliarity with the system; he's doing interviews in weeks 3 and 4 saying how he's still trying to learn the checks and get on the same page. What the hell were you doing all off season?

Yuppp.

Biggest issue this season. But not just his performance physically but his unfamiliarity with the system. He's doing interviews in weeks 3 and 4 saying how he's still trying to learn the checks and get on the same page. What the hell were you doing all off season?

Maybe Ochocinco is his study buddy.

Wrayfield

The entire O-Line wants to run more and even our RG spoke out in the media on McCarthy's shit playcalling.

You guys had a great passing game with Clifton and his half-knee at tackle. Playcalling might be it, I don't watch enough Packers games to chip in on that. Not sure about Saturday, looked alright vs. Indy. Not stellar, but not shite either. Again, just watched that one game and was distracted by Dolphins on RedZone.

And linemen wanting to run? Come on, ever lineman wants to run. It's fun. You don't protect anyone as precious as a QB, you just smack people around. Ever seen that child-like joy of a guard pulling and having a CB in front of him? :)

What the hell were you doing all off season?
It seems like Rodgers or McCarthy didn't do shit in the offseason, either.

And people have been shitting on Newhouse and Bulaga but it seems their struggles have originated from the change from Wells to Saturday.
A lot of people were really high on Wells (opposing teams' players I mean).

Good move, Ted!

You guys had a great passing game with Clifton and his half-knee at tackle.
Clifton starting is 50%* of the reason the Packers got embarrassed by the Giants in the playoffs.

* Statistic provided by the Bullshit Statistic Institute.

jmdajr

If the Ravens can stomp the Cowboys, and the Texans can then beat the Ravens the following week...
I'd be so happy I wouldn't know what to do with myself.

I better be mentally prepared for the opposite though. Ugh.

jmdajr

lol same.

"NAILED IT!!!

"...This franchise may never make the playoffs under Bob McNair."

"Watt should be at least a serviceable defensive lineman for years to come."

"...it's hard to imagine [Watt] ever being a star. It's hard to see him changing games for Houston on defense."

"...the Smith, Kubiak and now Phillips regime will never completely work."

"...don't be so sure that Vince Young still will not turn out to be a game-changing quarterback in the NFL before his career is done." "

lolololololol

eznark

Banned
ugh, hate that ugly ass chart. Go back to the old one!

Good move, Ted!

Wells would be super useful in street clothes on the sidelines this season, agreed.

Wells would be super useful in street clothes on the sidelines this season, agreed.
Jenkins also got injured after leaving the Packers but he's doing very well this year from what I've seen.

But I was more speaking to the replacing an extremely important position with an old fuck like Saturday.

eznark

Banned
Jenkins also got injured after leaving the Packers but he's doing very well this year from what I've seen.

But I was more speaking to the replacing an extremely important position with an old fuck like Saturday.

Just curious, but what makes you think all the problems are with Saturday? Most of the pressure is coming from the edge, not on combo blitzes or stunts, so there aren't a lot of line adjustments that can be made pre-snap.

Guys are getting beat one on one (sometimes like they are standing still). What should Saturday do to keep Mathis from running around Crabtree like he is standing still, for instance?

Just curious, but what makes you think all the problems are with Saturday? Most of the pressure is coming from the edge, not on combo blitzes or stunts, so there aren't a lot of line adjustments that can be made pre-snap.
Part of the reason Rodgers has been playing like a retard is because there's been tons of interior pressure.
This is why he's missing easy ass crossing routes or taken sacks because he can't step up in the pocket.

Sitton and Lang have had to compensate for Saturday's shitiness and that's put more pressure on Newhouse and Bulaga.
I can't remember where I read it but a lot were speculating Bulaga got clowned by Irvin so much in Seattle because he wasn't used to Saturday's style snapping, dealing with the silent count, etc. It fucked with his timing.

The reason that gumpy bitch Harrell fumbled in the Saints game is because Saturday got blown up by a DL.

squicken

It seems like Rodgers or McCarthy didn't do shit in the offseason, either.

And people have been shitting on Newhouse and Bulaga but it seems their struggles have originated from the change from Wells to Saturday.

It's an annual rite of spring that the Rams flame out on an interior linemen FA signing. Jason Brown, Jacob Bell, now Scott Wells.

Wells was hurt when they signed him, had a knee operation, and instead of rehabbing, was shuttling back and forth to Africa to handle a complicated adoption. And hey, good for him. But don't take the money then ignore your obligations. Rams foolishly played him too early and now he's on that in season IR

Guys are getting beat one on one (sometimes like they are standing still). What should Saturday do to keep Mathis from running around Crabtree like he is standing still, for instance?

When you're getting demolished against a three man rush repeatedly there's communication issues.

Why don't the jets just use tebow as a fullback? Horrible horrible play calling and coaching on that team.

Also, How did this team fall so fast? I have never seen a good team degrade so rapidly like this.

Predicting complete firing across the board from QB to coaching next season.

2-3
8-8
11-5
9-7

???

eznark

Banned
When you're getting demolished against a three man rush repeatedly there's communication issues.

When you are getting demolished by a three man rush there is talent issues. When you are missing assignments there are communication issues.

The Packers are getting beat by the former, teams to this point haven't really had much need to blitz as there has been plenty of pressure from base packages. Also, Rodgers taking 5 seconds on every drop means you don't need "pressure" you just need a steady push.

I'm not saying there aren't communication issues, just that they aren't the reason for most of the issues with the passing game.

eznark

Banned
You're just mad nobody Fears the Deer.

Everyone Fears the Deer!!

(I don't think I could name a single player)

What do you think is (are) the issue(s)?

1. Rodgers holding onto the ball too long.
2. Lack of catches from the backfield
3. Drops
4. LT

I think the last one is improving with every game but it looks like Rodgers has no confidence. His first read in the second half (and this kills timing routes) was always "pressure." He looked blindside quick to see if the line had collapsed on contact. He has no confidence in the protection (which is garbage because a good 40% of the sacks are on him) and no confidence in the TE's. He also passed up a wide open James Jones twice on deep crosses. I don't know if he didn't see him or if there is a confidence issue there as well, but it's something to keep an eye on.

RE: #1

I was telling a friend the other day that they need to go back and watch the 09 Wild Card game and copy the Cardinals' gameplan. Tons of quick releases, gash 'em over the middle.

Yeah I don't know why he's going deep every play. I've noticed that a lot. Greed and fatigue, probably.
He won't like to admit it but he's Favreing it now that shit isn't going well.

Top Bottom