• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 6 |OT| The C-Word Is For Lovers

How was this missed? Mocked by Donald Brown?

original.gif

Btw, the neck injury was sustained in 2006, the same year they won the SB. It was against the Redskins, on probably one of the dirties unflagged hits I've seen on a QB.

Yeah, that was terrifying.

verbum

Alright I've come over to Rors' side on this. I think Fantomex did it for fun but it's just too much now. Not anyone recent, but there have been a few "add me" posts from people I've never seen. I understand the usefulness with the NBA thread since 2 teams have 95% of the fans, but not so much w/ football threads

edit: there are only like 3 insular jokes

josh freeman is fat and likes tacos

jnc = lol

racist = not racist = kind of racist

You left off "to squicken".

squicken said:
Is this the week Coughlin goes with Wilson? Is it still that fumble or does he not know all the protections?
He is still learning the protection schemes which is why he can't get on the field. They have select plays/packages to try and take advantage of his speed/talent but he's like any other Giants rookie running back - you can't pass protect, then you're not getting an expanded role.

Look for the Giants to get another work horse day out of Ahmad with a sprinkling of Wilson if Andre Brown can't go. Not that I expect us to be able to run the ball anywhere near the level we ran it against the Browns. I'd be happy with simple efficiency. Enough to keep the Niners defense honest. This game will be won or lost on Eli's arm.

Coughlin met with the media today:

Tom Coughlin on the 49ers game: "Nobody gives us a chance to win. ... We'll see."
Similar to the Pats game last season. I expect a very fired up Giants team to take the field.

Also, injury report:

DT Rocky Bernard - Will not practice - Same injury as last week. Hope he can go later in the week. We need him against the run this week!
RB Andre Brown - Will not practice - As mentioned, still has not been cleared from his concussion.
LB Michael Boley - Will practice today - Still has a hip injury he's working through. Good sign that's practicing
LB Keith Rivers - Will practice today - Finally. He's been pretty good when he's played. He just needs to play.
LT David Diehl - Will practice today (limited) - Why god? Why? This is really a key situation moving forward. If Coughlin reinserts him into the starting lineup after the work the offensive line has been doing recently, I won't be happy to say the least. The Giants have given up four sacks all season - anyone want to guess who was playing when a good number of those were given up in the opener? Anyone want to guess when they stopped coming?
LB Chase Blackburn - Will not practice - No word on his injury but Coughlin expects him to go tomorrow.
WR Ramses Barden - Will practice today - Coming off of the concussion, he should be active this weekend.
TE Matrellus Bennett - Will not practice - Hyper extended knee during the Browns game. No word if they expect to have him practice later in the week. I hope so. We need him.
CB Jayron Hosely - Will practice today (limited) - Need him as well. He should play.
WR Hakeem Nicks - Will not practice - The hope is he practices tomorrow and Thursday. If he does, he's likely playing.

Milchjon

German obsession with scat, I will never get it.

I remember reading (skimming) that article. What a bunch of crap.

There's some observations in there that hit the nail on the head, but nearly everything he puts in there about shit is sheer sensationalism that would completely evaporate if he took a look at the English language.

She pulls from her bag the German edition of Alan Dundes’s book, the title of which translates as You Lick Mine First. I ask her about it. There is a common German expression, she explains, which translates directly as “Lick my ass.” To this hearty salutation the common reply is “You lick mine first!” “Everyone will understand this title,” she says. “But this book, I don’t know about this.”

"Leck mich am Arsch" is almost literally translateable to "kiss my ass". Which is, from my experience, a very common expression in English speaking countries and hardly an indicator of an obsession with excretions.

For all the other ancdotes in there (I'm not anal enough to take it all apart), similar things apply. Just look at all the common expressions thrown around in English that contain the words shit or crap.

As for the ubiquity of the word "Scheiße", it's the closest thing we have to the word "fuck" in English when it comes to flexibility in usage. An example: "Der scheiß Scheißer scheißt auf alles" ~ "That fucking fucker doesn't give a fuck".

I'll stop rambling now, but I simply hate that stereotype. There may be a higher number of German scat movies (I wouldn't know, thankfully), but in daily life, shit is no more or less relevant to Germans than any other Western culture. Trying to conclude that a country has an obsession with something just from their crude words doesn't make any sense, you fucking cunts. Or should I start reading something into the US's affinity for gay slurs?

Edit: Just saw Wrayfield's post. I do agree that "excremental" stuff is prevalent in German language. I do not, from my experience, agree that shit has any more cultural significance or influence in Germany than anywhere else.

LevelNth

Banned
Carlos Rogers has played like trash recently so I don't doubt Eli will torch us!
Really? I don't think so. Not his best but certainly wouldn't say like trash. Only the Vikings game was his performance weak, as he gave up far too much underneath to protect over the top.

I've only been disappointed (slightly) with Ray MacDonald so far on D this year, as he's been rather quiet and not as effective in pass rush pressure as we need.

Everyone else has been very impressive, in particular Whitner, Bowman, Culliver and Brown. So far though IMO Willis has been the standout, starting off stronger than he did last year whilst still getting the harder assignments in the middle than Bowman. A pick, a FF, 3 PD's and still in on 42 tackles even when Bowman has 49? He is just insane.

Wrayfield

[...]
Edit: Just saw Wrayfield's post. I do agree that "excremental" stuff is prevalent in German language. I do not, from my experience, agree that shit has any more cultural significance or influence in Germany than anywhere else.

That German interview I linked is a bit more, ahem, researched, it seems to be more of a linguistic fixation or tendency shared by Swiss and Austrians. I see that disappear more and more due to increased use of anglicisms especially when swearing. So, no worries, we will soon all be obsessed with cocks and cunts like the rest of the world. :)

Try five years :-O

I don't even dare to ask our tutors because I don't know stuff from grade 7 or so. I'll have to catch up fast

Why are you doin Math again? You just finished your theses on socialogy or something (Or am I way off?)

5 year must suck even more. It just sucks that they make assumptions of stuff that you're supposed to know and then I'm just sitting there like a baboon.

WedgeX

Banned
Alex Karras passes away due to kidney failure.

ibegYlAZIXXtcW.jpg

A first-round pick out of Iowa in 1958, Karras played defensive tackle for the Lions in 1958-70 and went on to have a long career in Hollywood. He starred as Mongo in the film “Blazing Saddles” and as George Papadopoulos in the TV sitcom “Webster” with his real-life wife, Susan Clark.

As a football player, Karras was known as one of the game’s biggest characters and most intimidating players. He was a four-time all-pro who missed one season in the prime of his career when he was suspended for betting on football games.

isRVKpatV1F78.png

I don't bother posting during games at all. Moves too quickly.

I prefer bitching about Blalock and Owens privately with friends.

I'm either busy watching the games or if it's a home game, I'm at the game. Tmdorsey attends the games as well.

I like reading through the aftermath of the games after they are played.

squicken

He is still learning the protection schemes which is why he can't get on the field. They have select plays/packages to try and take advantage of his speed/talent but he's like any other Giants rookie running back - you can't pass protect, then you're not getting an expanded role..

ESPN West blog has something on this today, and the PFF subscriber stuff also has it. Alex Smith is pretty bad when under pressure. He also takes an obscene number of sacks for how good his line is. He is near the bottom of the league in "hit as he throws", meaning when the pressure is there he secures the ball and just takes the sack, instead throwing it away or trying to make a play.

Of course all QBs struggle with pressure, but Alex does especially. As usual, Eli and your front 4 have to win it

Wrayfield

Why are you doin Math again? You just finished your theses on socialogy or something (Or am I way off?)

5 year must suck even more. It just sucks that they make assumptions of stuff that you're supposed to know and then I'm just sitting there like a baboon.

Actually, I am gonna add a computer science degree (starting next year) so it will be way more than 5 years for me. Might get in touch with you boys for pointers...

He is still learning the protection schemes which is why he can't get on the field. They have select plays/packages to try and take advantage of his speed/talent but he's like any other Giants rookie running back - you can't pass protect, then you're not getting an expanded role.

Look for the Giants to get another work horse day out of Ahmad with a sprinkling of Wilson if Andre Brown can't go. Not that I expect us to be able to run the ball anywhere near the level we ran it against the Browns. I'd be happy with simple efficiency. Enough to keep the Niners defense honest. This game will be won or lost on Eli's arm.

Coughlin met with the media today:

Similar to the Pats game last season. I expect a very fired up Giants team to take the field.

Also, injury report:

DT Rocky Bernard - Will not practice - Same injury as last week. Hope he can go later in the week. We need him against the run this week!
RB Andre Brown - Will not practice - As mentioned, still has not been cleared from his concussion.
LB Michael Boley - Will practice today - Still has a hip injury he's working through. Good sign that's practicing
LB Keith Rivers - Will practice today - Finally. He's been pretty good when he's played. He just needs to play.
LT David Diehl - Will practice today (limited) - Why god? Why? This is really a key situation moving forward. If Coughlin reinserts him into the starting lineup after the work the offensive line has been doing recently, I won't be happy to say the least. The Giants have given up four sacks all season - anyone want to guess who was playing when a good number of those were given up in the opener? Anyone want to guess when they stopped coming?
LB Chase Blackburn - Will not practice - No word on his injury but Coughlin expects him to go tomorrow.
WR Ramses Barden - Will practice today - Coming off of the concussion, he should be active this weekend.
TE Matrellus Bennett - Will not practice - Hyper extended knee during the Browns game. No word if they expect to have him practice later in the week. I hope so. We need him.
CB Jayron Hosely - Will practice today (limited) - Need him as well. He should play.
WR Hakeem Nicks - Will not practice - The hope is he practices tomorrow and Thursday. If he does, he's likely playing.

I expect both teams to be fired up for this game. "Unfinished business" is something that has been said all week by various different Niners so you know that this game was circled since the beginning of the season. It's going to be a good one no matter the outcome

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Time to watch Blazzing Saddles in his honor, again

RIP

I think this will be like my 200th+ viewing of this GODDAMN Movie!

"Telegram for Mongo!"

"Never mind that Shit!, Here comes Mongo!"

Milchjon

That German interview I linked is a bit more, ahem, researched, it seems to be more of a linguistic fixation or tendency shared by Swiss and Austrians. I see that disappear more and more due to increased use of anglicisms especially when swearing. So, no worries, we will soon all be obsessed with cocks and cunts like the rest of the world. :)

Haha, yeah, it's interesting. Especially this part:

Gauger: Na ja, man könnte uns immerhin zugute halten, dass wir weniger frauenfeindlich sind, denn wir fluchen und schimpfen auf unserer tumben Scheiße-Linie geschlechtsneutral. Sexuelle Ausdrücke jedoch werten fast immer das Weibliche ab. Zum Beispiel beim französischen "con", ein Wort das ja eigentlich das weibliche Organ bezeichnet und mittlerweile schon gar nicht mehr vulgär, sondern bloß noch familiär so viel besagt wie "dumm, blöd, ungeschickt". Das italienische "cazzo", der vulgäre Ausdruck für das männliche Glied, ist da eine bemerkenswerte Ausnahme, denn der Ausruf "Che cazzo!" heißt soviel wie "So was Doofes!"

(For all the others: German language uses way less gendered/misogynist swearing than most other languages, apparently)

Dutch Patriot said:

Yeah, finished my thesis (advertising), started engineering :jnc. Idiotic. At least I got my grade on that thesis yesterday, I'm the king of the world or something.

eznark

Banned
And so, we've got 4-1 Arizona down at No. 14, essentially tied with the 1-3 Detroit Lions. We've got 3-2 Cincinnati way down at No. 25. The last remaining winless team, Cleveland, is nowhere near last place; in 27th, the Browns are almost as close to average as they are to last-place Tennessee. And we've got two different 2-3 teams in the top ten: Green Bay and Denver. I went back and looked, and Green Bay and Denver are two of the best 2-3 teams we've ever encountered. Here's a list of the best 2-3 teams in DVOA history:

Packers ranked 6th in DVOA. Woo!!!

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2012/week-5-dvoa-ratings

FMT posted this garbagio in the madden thread to blow his own rusty trombone

see5harp

ESPN West blog has something on this today, and the PFF subscriber stuff also has it. Alex Smith is pretty bad when under pressure. He also takes an obscene number of sacks for how good his line is. He is near the bottom of the league in "hit as he throws", meaning when the pressure is there he secures the ball and just takes the sack, instead throwing it away or trying to make a play.

Of course all QBs struggle with pressure, but Alex does especially. As usual, Eli and your front 4 have to win it

Agreed. Games tend to be super close when he gets rushed or hurried. I do think their rushing game is much better this year. Hopefully they get that going with some of their crazy big packages enough so that Alex can get a few big ones. He doesn't need to even hit 200 yards for us to to have a chance to win.

Milchjon

Actually, I am gonna add a computer science degree (starting next year) so it will be way more than 5 years for me. Might get in touch with you boys for pointers...

I don't know how much math you're doing right now, but I assume that most careers don't exactly include the stuff that you learn late in school. I really should've worked through my Abitur preparation stuff once before starting.

That there are a lot of homophobic and racist Americans?

While that may be true, just look how that conclusion contrasts logically with what people say about Germans:

(Some) Americans use "That's gay" => (Some) Americans hate gays
Germans use "Das ist scheiße" => Germans love shit.

Really? I don't think so. Not his best but certainly wouldn't say like trash. Only the Vikings game was his performance weak, as he gave up far too much underneath to protect over the top.

I've only been disappointed (slightly) with Ray MacDonald so far on D this year, as he's been rather quiet and not as effective in pass rush pressure as we need.

Everyone else has been very impressive, in particular Whitner, Bowman, Culliver and Brown. So far though IMO Willis has been the standout, starting off stronger than he did last year whilst still getting the harder assignments in the middle than Bowman. A pick, a FF, 3 PD's and still in on 42 tackles even when Bowman has 49? He is just insane.

I get the feeling that the Niners defense has another gear to go to that they're saving for the postseason. Everyone's been solid but the intensity isn't quite there. My only concern is that the D line is generating enough push overall. Last year, they'd dominate the line scrimmage consistently. Not so much this year... Although, I'm happy that Ahmad Brooks has stepped up his game this year.

eznark

Banned
Why don't you German fecal freaks start your own thread where you can discuss the nature of your bizarre obsession in a more dedicated venue?

Alex is one of the best qbs in the league against the blitz (ratings wise). His problem is getting pressured with 3 or 4, which happened against vikebike.

It's a byproduct of the team's emphasis on not turning the ball over. No doubt Smith is bad under pressure but he's been told to take sacks when in doubt by coaching staff...

bionic77

All I know is Tommy will destroy Worst Harbaugh's hand after the game on Sunday.
The Niners are going to win dude.

It is their revenge game and they will be fired up. Giants have been sloppy as fuck and are being carried by their offense.

You might be right about that handshake though!

squicken

Alex is one of the best qbs in the league against the blitz (ratings wise). His problem is getting pressured with 3 or 4, which happened against vikebike.

I think it's more accurate to say that Alex is very good against the blitz . . . when it is picked up. In general, he is not good when he is pressured. He's doing a good job of making plays when the offense creates opportunities for him, but I think he'll need to do more than that come playoff time.

He reminds me so much of Schaub. The Texans system creates wide open throws, and Schaub is good at recognizing them and at least completing the pass. He relies a lot on a very good line keeping him clean. But when he is pressured, or players don't get wide open, he's not very good

Oh boo hoo no one gives us a chance to win. Shut the fuck up Tom coughlin you geriatric fuck
Eh, it's a motivation tactic and little else. Though I'd be surprised if any analyst does end up picking the Giants to win the game....

bionic77 said:
The Niners are going to win dude.
..and there you go.:)

Gully State said:
I expect both teams to be fired up for this game. "Unfinished business" is something that has been said all week by various different Niners so you know that this game was circled since the beginning of the season. It's going to be a good one no matter the outcome
Agreed. I expect the Niners to put the best possible product on the field and there's no question they circled this one on the calendar the minute they got the schedule. I'm looking forward to it. Niners/Giants are usually tough, hard nosed and enjoyable games to watch.

I think it's more accurate to say that Alex is very good against the blitz . . . when it is picked up. In general, he is not good when he is pressured. He's doing a good job of making plays when the offense creates opportunities for him, but I think he'll need to do more than that come playoff time.

He reminds me so much of Schaub. The Texans system creates wide open throws, and Schaub is good at recognizing them and at least completing the pass. He relies a lot on a very good line keeping him clean. But when he is pressured, or players don't get wide open, he's not very good

There aren't many qbs who are good when pressured. Literally maybe 2 or 3. Roofles, Eli..... Can't really think of any others. Tom Brady sucks dick when pressured so I'm not going to completely hate on alex

squicken

There aren't many qbs who are good when pressured. Literally maybe 2 or 3. Roofles, Eli..... Can't really think of any others. Tom Brady sucks dick when pressured so I'm not going to completely hate on alex

True. But where Alex fails compared to most QBs is that he takes sacks when he shouldn't. He won't throw it away or even attempt a difficult throw. He's at the bottom of that ranking b/c he doesn't even give himself or his team the chance to make a positive play

Top Bottom