• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 6 |OT| The C-Word Is For Lovers

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Christ do you have to have the last word on everything? How about you just ignore me from now on. I'll do the same. I won't even reply if you have something shitty to say about me.
Thought we just having fun here.... whatever dude.

This type of post just feeds eznark more.

Milchjon

Interesting post. I find it odd that Germans aren't proud of their country. They have been a part of that peace, are an economic force, and output plenty of products, athletes, and the like to the world. Not to mention their cultural contributions to the world.

I understand that it is important to be shameful of the past things that happened under the government of that time. The US shares having a shameful past as well. But that's just what it is the past. You learn your lessons, and base your pride on the good things that your country does. The future it is working towards. The pride in continuing to be a beacon of freedom, and the hope that it can be a place free of oppression. The past is great as a lesson to what not to do, but your pride should ultimately reside in the present and future of the country. IMO.

Well, it's changing a bit. There are people now who don't even know people/relatives who lived during the war. There are younger people who don't feel they have to blame themselves for anything that happened 70 years ago.

An interesting point was the Soccer World Cup in 2006, both when it comes to the international perception of Germany and our own perception. Other (European) countries saw that Germans are able to have one big international party and be a great, open host. Germans realized pretty much the same, and I think for many people it was the first time they weren't ashamed of their patriotism. It's still not at the same level as in other countries (you won't find a house with a flag on the front lawn), but during soccer competitions and the like, you get to see quite a bit of black, red and gold.

That being said, it's a sensitive issue. What's the saying? "Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it"? I think that's the fear, however misplaced it may be by now.

And I don't think it's really holding us back. If you don't have a history to be proud of, it's easier to look forward than back.

eznark

Banned
Christ do you have to have the last word on everything? How about you just ignore me from now on. I'll do the same. I won't even reply if you have something shitty to say about me.
Thought we just having fun here.... whatever dude.

?
That seemed like a lazy and rote response by me to a "I was looking for cities depressed after a loss" post.

Can we make an exception for the years the Ravens and Pats won the Superbowl?

I feel like the world would be a better place if they were wiped from the pages of history.

The Patriots Superbowl appearances were wiped. We must remember and be vigilant though. Cameras keep getting smaller and better.

jakncoke

Banned
?
That seemed like a lazy and rote response by me to a "I was looking for cities depressed after a loss" post.

The Patriots Superbowl appearances were wiped. We must remember and be vigilant though. Cameras keep getting smaller and better.

Just wait till the one eyed man they hire has a fake eye cam

squicken

Fisher definitely has no faith in Bradford. Then again, maybe it was justified considering the crucial sack Bradford took on the previous play. Fisher was probably so pissed at him.

It was both a good and bad play. They got Pettis 1v1 on a LB to convert a 3rd and 4. The problem was he was the only guy close to Bradford. There was no obvious throw away and it was a 3 step drop. What he needed to do was recognize Pettis getting stuff and airmail it down filed and out of bounds. But that's sort of his thing. He doesn't have quick recognition and isn't capable of buying time with his legs. He never makes a play. He is dependent on his teammates elevating him.

Given that, if the WR can't beat a LB on a whip route, then the WR probably needs to not be on the field. The Rams had 5 plays over 30 yards last year. They have 7 this year. Amendola has 1, Givens has 3, and Richardson has 3. All the big plays come from guys who weren't there in 2011. Bradford needs to be replaced, but he failed alongside a bunch of very bad skill players and injured linemen

jakncoke

Banned
It's hilarious because the way he went out was being baffled by the Cowboys clock management skills.

As was the rest of whomever was watching at the time. Also when he finally does go wherever murderers that got away murder go at the end of their lifes. It will be weird not facing him twice a year.

harSon

Banned
It seems like it's nearly impossible to build a Super Bowl team without starting your rebuilding process with a marquee QB. Teams like the 49ers, and the Vikings of yesteryear, with great defenses, running games and serviceable recievers are doomed to playoff exits due to having mediocre QBs, but having a solid enough team to always be stuck with draft picks towards the end of rounds. An unlikely position to draft a decent QB from. Their only hope is to have an uncharacteristic shit year at the right time, ie the Steelers in 2003-2004, or they're stuck trying to plug holes with veteran has beens.

Harbaugh knew this when he threw his own QB under the bus to try and get Peyon Noodle Arms. Dude did everything including a likely offering of a hand job to make it happen (And Pey Pey rightfully turned it down considering the chance that bipolar Harbaugh would grow angry and rip his dick off with his large strong QB hands that his own system QB lacks), which is indicative of just how fucked the Niners organization is for the long term.

It seems like it's nearly impossible to build a Super Bowl team without starting your rebuilding process with a marquee QB. Teams like the 49ers, and the Vikings of yesteryear, with great defenses, running games and serviceable recievers are doomed to playoff exits due having mediocre QBs, but having a solid enough team to always have draft picks towards the end of rounds. There only hope is to have an uncharacteristic shit year at the right time, ie the Steelers in 2003-2004, or they're stuck with their trying to plug holes with veteran has beens.

Harbaugh knew this when he threw his own QB under the bus to try and get Peyon Noodle Arms. Dude did everything including a likely offering of a hand job to make it happen (And Pey Pey rightfully turned it down considering the chance that bipolar Harbaugh would grow angry and rip his dick off with his large strong QB hands that his own system QB lacks), which is indicative of just how fucked the Niners organization is for the long term.

This is why I didn't understand people being critical of the Skins going all out to get RG3. Granted, whether or not Griffin will be a franchise QB is still up in the air, but you HAVE To have that player in the NFL these days.

jmdajr

It seems like it's nearly impossible to build a Super Bowl team without starting your rebuilding process with a marquee QB. Teams like the 49ers, and the Vikings of yesteryear, with great defenses, running games and serviceable recievers are doomed to playoff exits due to having mediocre QBs, but having a solid enough team to always be stuck with draft picks towards the end of rounds. An unlikely position to draft a decent QB from. Their only hope is to have an uncharacteristic shit year at the right time, ie the Steelers in 2003-2004, or they're stuck with their trying to plug holes with veteran has beens.

Well, it's been awhile since a Ravens/Buccs style team have won the SuperBowl. I'm sure many still believe you can. Maybe wrongfully so, but you work with what you got. Too bad Carr was a bust, and VY tunred out to be another one, even if we had drafted him. Matt Schaub is well..serviceable.

harSon

Banned
Well, it's been awhile since a Ravens/Buccs style team have won the SuperBowl. I'm sure many still believe you can. Maybe wrongfully so, but you work with what you got.

You mean back in the day when a defense could actually play defense? Yeah, those days are over. At the very least, you need an above average QB to win the Super Bowl.

Godslay

Banned
Well, it's changing a bit. There are people now who don't even know people/relatives who lived during the war. There are younger people who don't feel they have to blame themselves for anything that happened 70 years ago.

An interesting point was the Soccer World Cup in 2006, both when it comes to the international perception of Germany and our own perception. Other (European) countries saw that Germans are able to have one big international party and be a great, open host. Germans realized pretty much the same, and I think for many people it was the first time they weren't ashamed of their patriotism. It's still not at the same level as in other countries (you won't find a house with a flag on the front lawn), but during soccer competitions and the like, you get to see quite a bit of black, red and gold.

That being said, it's a sensitive issue. What's the saying? "Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it"? I think that's the fear, however misplaced it may be by now.

And I don't think it's really holding us back. If you don't have a history to be proud of, it's easier to look forward than back.

Interesting. I can't imagine driving through a neighborhood and not seeing an American flag. It's good though that Germans seem to have an evolving view of patriotism.

Talon

Well, it's been awhile since a Ravens/Buccs style team have won the SuperBowl. I'm sure many still believe you can. Maybe wrongfully so, but you work with what you got.
I think we can confidently say that the quality of QBs in this league right now is much, much higher than in the late 90s/early 2000s.

Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer wouldn't get a chance anywhere nowadays.

And say what you will about rule changes and proliferation of spread concepts in college.

eznark

Banned
Somehow the Browns ended up being the team most criticized in that deal

200px-Brandon_Weeden_(CROP).jpg

You mean back in the day when a defense could actually play defense? Yeah, those days are over. At the very least, you need an above average QB to win the Super Bowl.
It isn't the defenses' fault in my opinion, it's just the way things are now due to the NFL's rules.

I think we can confidently say that the quality of QBs in this league right now is much, much higher than in the late 90s/early 2000s.
I think Marino, Elway, or Favre would dominate if they were in their prime in today's game. Particularly Marino, of course.

harSon

Banned
It isn't the defenses' fault in my opinion, it's just the way things are now due to the NFL's rules.

I'm not blaming the defenses. The league has pandered to the offensive side of the ball in such a ridiculous manner that it has become damn near impossible to play great defense, at least to the point where you can win on the strength of your defense alone.

I'm not blaming the defenses. The league has pandered to the offensive side of the ball in such a ridiculous manner that it has become damn near impossible to play great defense, at least to the point where you can win on the strength of your defense alone.
Gotcha, I misunderstood your wording. My mistake!

I was really talking about after Elway and Marino retired.
Ah, makes sense. I'll just stop posting for the day. :p

Vesmir

Banned
What the hell did I come home to

All I can picture in a NFL-GAF race discussion is ez jerking it to a picture of Eva Braun while the ghost of snes is in the corner muttering "racist"

effzee

Vick only has 11 turnovers so far? I thought he had more.

It definitely could have been more (the ones he recovered) and it could have been less (drop passes turned into INTs or piss poor OLINE play).

Avant throws down the gauntlet in Philly:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...sciplined-football?module=HP11_headline_stack

I only watched a portion of the game so I missed most of the bolded stuff but wow.

Yup time for a change now. Won't happen till end of the season but its time. Avant is one of the best character guys on the team and one of the leaders. For him to say that must mean its true.

Reids been done for a while. Like I've said many times he and Don should have been packaged goods. Vicks probably done. Jax hasn't been the same since the concussions.

Since 2004, the Reid who planned and had his team on some sort of path has disappeared. Now its just win enough games, back your way into the playoffs, and hope the team catches fire.

Vick actually saved his job. Had they stuck with Kolb and he stunk it up like he would have, Reid might not be around right now. Thankfully Vick's contract is structured so that they can release him this off season with a very low cap hit.

effzee I dont know what to say. You just want them to run no matter what and I watched that game and no way would handing the ball to Shady have helped things. He was dancing the second he got the ball. That is why they limited his carries. A few plays it looked like there were holes but he doesnt trust the OL, and rightfully so, and so he cuts the second he gets the ball and gives the defense a chance to swarm to him. Turning 1st and 10 into 2nd and 12 isnt going to help them run out the clock. The OL is terrible, they cant run block at all. Eagles were moving the ball way better through the air then on the ground. If Suh doesnt deflect that 3rd down pass the Eagles win and no one is saying they didnt run enough. Vick had 2 horrible passes, and a bunch or really good passes, but there is so much wrong right now that they cant have the bad passes. Once Peters got hurt this team wasnt going to go far, so be happy at least Reid will be gone and they can totally blow up the team and start over. Maybe they will be good in 3 or 4 years.

I don't want them to run no matter what. But please lets not pretend like that even when the OLINE is doing well and McCoy is running well that they stick to the run.

Reid is who he is. The most pass happy coach in the history of the league. So lets not pin this just on the OLINE or McCoy all of a sudden. Its not something new. And McCoy always dances around. ALWAYS. He does it in games he is doing well too. Problem is you have to stick with him. I understand he wasn't getting much on the ground but 14 carries for him is criminal.

And its a combination of all the things wrong with this team. McCoy is your best player, your QB is struggling with turnovers, and while the OLINE can't run block they are even worse at pass blocking. There is no reason that in such a close game where led for a large chunk of the game Vick should be passing 40+ times. You just don't win in this league that way when you don't have an elite QB. And the Eagles don't. Now I believe they can win with Vick, but you can't pretend like he is Brees, Brady, Manning, or Rodgers. And even those guys look better when they have some semblance of balance.

Just watched NFL Primetime and LOL first play of the OT is slow developing home run play employing play action? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Why in the world would Detroit fall for that play fake when you haven't run the ball all game? Avril beats Todd off the right end and Vick never sees him coming. And oh yeah thanks to the putrid special teams they already had a long field to work with.

Why not even attempt to run there? Why not run on 3 and 20 when you need to gain some yards to make sure Detroit doesn't start at midfield.

Of course a lot of thing went wrong. D completely disappeared, Reid AGAIN mismanaged the play clock, Celek dropped one TD and had one called back on a bogus PI call. And Vick had Maclin wide open on that third down play but of course Suh knocked it down. Again another reality with Vick since he is short and tries to side arm throws.

I recognize all that. But please do not tell me that McCoy is NOT a good RB and that 14 carries in a game is enough for him when at most they were down 6 or leading the whole game. Its not acceptable.

And Peters can't be pinned solely for this mess. The run game can't be just dependent on one player totally. Yes he is awesome but there has to be a willingness and attitude to run the ball. Look at the Giants. They have a better QB and better WRs. Yet they never abandon the run and even yesterday ran it right up the middle against the Niners. Eagles wouldn't even attempt to run against the 49ers. Its their stupid offensive philosophy. It doesn't fit the players and talent they have.

Also just heard that the Eagles have given up a league high 7 4rth quarter leads over the past two seasons. The D stinks and now isn't even getting a pass rush, they kept Juan for no reason at all, and the lack of any running game forces the D to play way too much into the final minutes.

Milchjon

Interesting. I can't imagine driving through a neighborhood and not seeing an American flag. It's good though that Germans seem to have an evolving view of patriotism.

Well, during times of peace, I'm not sure patriotism is really necessary. Maybe if it leads to more social coherence/solidarity. And some traditions are both valuable and fun. But I'm not sure patriotism itself has much inherent value.

But I don't think think I need to tell this to anyone in this thread. Most of y'all are anti-Patriots anyway. Traitors.

Top Bottom