• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 6 |OT| The C-Word Is For Lovers

True. But where Alex fails compared to most QBs is that he takes sacks when he shouldn't. He won't throw it away or even attempt a difficult throw. He's at the bottom of that ranking b/c he doesn't even give himself or his team the chance to make a positive play

Why would he? If he forces a throw under pressure there is a chance he turns the ball over and either gives the other team points, or good field position. The 9ers D is so far beyond anything in the NFL they should be doing anything they can to limit turnovers. Teams are not going to go 80 yards to score on them much.

True. But where Alex fails compared to most QBs is that he takes sacks when he shouldn't. He won't throw it away or even attempt a difficult throw. He's at the bottom of that ranking b/c he doesn't even give himself or his team the chance to make a positive play

And there is the reason he can never be elite. He will never win or lose a game for us.... Just like harbs likes it!

Ps

Except against the saints!

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/09/20/attention-alex-when-in-doubt-take-a-sack/

I'll just quote the whole article since it's pertinent to the whole sack discussion.

Since the start of the 2011 season, 49ers quarterback Alex Smith has thrown the fewest interceptions in the NFL (5) and taken the most sacks (51).

In the minds of the 49ers’ coaching staff, those numbers explain why Smith ranks second among NFL quarterbacks in wins (15) during that span.

Today, offensive coordinator Greg Roman echoed what Smith said Wednesday – there are worse things than sacks. And the worst alternative is a turnover, which is to be avoided at all costs.

It’s clear Smith has been instructed to err on the side of caution when he’s under pressure, which helps explain all those sacks … and Smith’s streak of 216 straight regular-season passes without an interception.

Roman referred to statistics that detail how sacks will typically kill drives, but don’t have a strong correlation to wins and losses. Turnovers on the other hand …

“One thing you’ve got to consider is what’s your ultimate goal?’ Roman said. “If you’re ultimate goal is to keep you stats low in sacks, then he needs to get rid of the ball. Our ultimate goal is to win games … You don’t lose games because you get sacked, generally. You lose games by turning the ball over and not scoring enough points.”

Said Smith: “I think there is some give and take with not just forcing balls and getting rid of a ball. And a sack’s not the end of the world. Sometimes the best thing is to protect it in the pocket and take a sack.”

Smith said he’s tried to emulate Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, who routinely tries to make plays with his feet when pressured rather than throwing downfield. Rodgers’ numbers are startlingly similar to Smith’s in two categories. Since the start of the 2011 season, Rodgers ranks second in the NFL in interceptions (8) and has taken 44 sacks, the four-most in the league.

“The guy I’ve watched a lot of film on, you watch Aaron play, a guy that takes a lot of sacks, but he also makes a lot plays with his feet, keeps plays alive,” Smith said. “There is some give and take there I think.”

** Of course, taking sacks in an effort to avoid turnovers is also an excellent way to get the starting quarterback injured.

Smith has made 21 straight starts, the second-longest streak of his career, despite taking 60 sacks in those games. He also has lost just three fumbles during that span.

Roman said the 49ers’ quarterbacks are instructed on how to take a sack. At least, those sacks they can see coming.

“I think that gets covered, in terms of how to handle the ball and how to protect yourself as best you can,” Roman said. “… We really emphasize ball security at every position.”

brentech

from reddit.

oIcsa.jpg

Wonder where she's from >.>

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Who in the fuck eats a block of fucking cheese

I'm morbidly obese and that shit embarrasses me =/

Where Kraft Singles sold out?

jmdajr

I've done it before. I'm 6'1" 175. You don't have to be fat to like cheese dammit!

I don't hate cheese, I like some...but sweet Tebow.

edit: Granted I do find something like this appetizing.

queso-flameado_DSC7015.jpg

Queso Flameado...

but even then I don't do it that often unless I want to have some serious heart burn from all the grease. (and constipation sure..)

GraveRobberX

Let me guess the bottle in the back is a Diet Pepsi... she's watching her fucking calories!

Dragon said:
I've done it before. I'm 6'1" 175. You don't have to be fat to like cheese dammit!
Have you taken a normal shit since? :blarry

GraveRobberX said:
Let me guess the bottle in the back is a Diet Pepsi... she's watching her fucking calories!
The thing that hasn't been mentioned that I find the funniest in that picture is the box of Cheez-It's in the bag hanging on the back of the wheelchair.:jnc

GraveRobberX

Eat whatever you like, but don't try to overdo it and stereotype yourself in

I eat big meals, doesn't mean when I hang out I have to have a 2 liter soda bottle and block of fucking cheese to chew through to show "I'm hungry"

Nori Chan

That picture makes me sad too. you guys are dicks

Yup it's been discussed. I'm from Toronto.

And so help me god if you say "why didn't you pick Buffalo?" I will backhand you.

Buffalo will never be my team.

You're fucking Canadian?

God damn Kave, I don't think we can be friends anymore. I hate Canadia

jbug617

Banned
PIT @ TEN

KC @ TB
IND @ NYJ
CIN @ CLE
DET @ PHI
OAK @ ATL
STL @ MIA
DAL @ BAL
------------
BUF @ ARI
NE @ SEA
NYG @ SF
MIN @ WAS
GB @ HOU

DEN
@ SD

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
This is the only one I haven't been able to figure out.

Any background on the scat love of FMT? I've always been afraid to ask but hell not like this can ruin me now. #yolo

Ask FMT what he would let Alyssa Milano do to him.

I think that's how it started.

Nori Chan

PIT @ TEN

KC @ TB
IND @ NYJ
CIN @ CLE
DET @ PHI
OAK @ ATL
STL @ MIA
DAL @ BAL #YOLOPick
------------
BUF @ ARI
NE @ SEA
NYG @ SF
MIN @ WAS
GB @ HOU

DEN @ SD
Taking the division Monday night and never looking back

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
That picture makes me sad too. you guys are dicks

You're fucking Canadian?

God damn Kave, I don't think we can be friends anymore. I hate Canadia

Racist.

Canada has done nothing to harm you. Unless you went to Quebec...in which case I apologize.

I have a bizarre fascination with Canadian women.

They are pretty awesome. One of my friends is a pretty hardcore Packers fan. She gets pretty riled up if I ever try to insult them.

PIT @ TEN

KC @ TB
IND @ NYJ
CIN @ CLE
DET @ PHI
OAK @ ATL
STL @ MIA
DAL @ BAL

BUF @ ARI
NE @ SEA
NYG @ SF
MIN @ WAS
GB @ HOU

DEN @ SD

At least the Panthers can't fuck up this week.

Top Bottom