• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 7 |OT| Shhhhhhhh

Greg is nice and happy because of all the great metal he listens to.

Yes, I once clicked on a link by Greg that said something like 'Exotic Petting Zoo'. There were no cute furry animals being petted in that video :(

I thought Germans listened to 99 red ballons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lur-SGl3uw8

NEUNUNDNEUNZIG LUFTBALLON! SOMETHING SOMETHING GERMAN SOMETHING SOMETHING ! NEUNUNDNEUNZIG LUFTBALLON!

Screw that this place needs all the tension it can handle!

In fact I say more tension!

SAY THAT TO MY FACE, KITTY!

UOah1.png

Greg

Greg is nice and happy because of all the great metal he listens to.
The last girl I met called me "deceiving" because she wouldn't guess in a million years the kinds of music I listened to because I'm so happy.

I laughed.
and then killed her.

Yes, I once clicked on a link by Greg that said something like 'Exotic Petting Zoo'. There were no cute furry animals being petted in that video :(
:jnc

and that was pretty tame in comparison

Milchjon

The last girl I met called me "deceiving" because she wouldn't guess in a million years the kinds of music I listened to because I'm so happy.

I laughed.
and then killed her.

The origin of my username actually involved someone being surprised by the fact that I was listening to metal when I was such a harmless person.

I laughed.
and then killed her.
LOL, the spoiler got me good.

I listen to a lot of metal and I consider myself a pretty happy person. I definitely don't look like your stereotypical metalhead either. I don't know what it is but sometimes nothing seems to soothe me quite like some wonderfully executed death metal.

But, I digress. This is the NFL thread, so I should talk about how I can't decide who to pull for in the Jets/Patriots game on Sunday. Generally I would pull for the Patriots because, well, the Jets are the Jets, but with the division this close I'm thinking it might be in the Dolphins' longterm interest if the Jets pull off the W, given that I have no faith in their ability to play consistently for the rest of the year. It'll be fun to watch, regardless.

jmdajr

He's white and nice, so he's very metal.

Metal is one of the most fascinating subcultures, IMO, if only because the facade is so different from the actual people.

What are talking about here?

Blind Guardian? Gamma Ray? Helloween?
Maybe some heavier shit like Kreator, Destruction, Sodom.?

or some old school Scorpions...

Not that I know what any of that is. No sir.

Milchjon

What are talking about here?

Blind Guardian?Gamma ray? Helloween?
Maybe some heavier shit like Kreator, Destruction, Sodom.?

or some old school Scorpions...

Not that I know what any of that is. No sir.

Oh, my metal days are mostly behind me. The stuff that I still keep coming back to are Metallica, Pantera and the Painkiller album. I never cared much about German metal bands, except if you count Rammstein.

And yes, I do like the Scorpions. They have some great guitar work.

Greg

How metal is Greg?
death, thrash, doom, black, all the sub-genres like melodic/technical/brutal/core/etc. - I like them all

although I also listen to pop, hip-hop, rock, classical, electronic, etc., so I'm not really a fan of metal according to some

LOL, the spoiler got me good.

I listen to a lot of metal and I consider myself a pretty happy person. I definitely don't look like your stereotypical metalhead either. I don't know what it is but sometimes nothing seems to soothe me quite like some wonderfully executed death metal.
truth.

jmdajr

Oh, my metal days are mostly behind me. The stuff that I still keep coming back to are Metallica, Pantera and the Painkiller album. I never cared much about German metal bands, except if you count Rammstein.

And yes, I do like the Scorpions. They have some great guitar work.

Cool Man.

r.i.p. dimebag

Milchjon

The soothing part is true. Nothing puts me to sleep like loud, rythmic music. Metal songs are among the best lullabies.

Cool Man.

r.i.p. dimebag

He was crazy. I don't know any guitar player who could do it all like he did. Whether it's some of the greatest riffs ever, freakishly complicated solos or simple ballads, he was just so damn flexible. And all that technical wizardry never got in the way of the songs. Truly one of the best ever.

death, thrash, doom, black, all the sub-genres like melodic/technical/brutal/core/etc. - I like them all

although I also listen to pop, hip-hop, rock, classical, electronic, etc., so I'm not really a fan of metal according to some.
That attitude is why I stay out of the metal thread. Way too much elitism, and ironically you know more about the genre and its sub-genres than 99% of the people in that thread. Maybe it's just a few people, I'm not sure, but it was enough to turn me off to it.

At the end of the day it really comes down to one thing --- how many Swedish churches have you burned down? This is the only meaningful metric, and anyone who tells you otherwise is a worthless spawn of God.

ATF487

My favorite band is the Gorillaz.

For some reason that weirds some people out.

This IS weird but I can't really put my finger on why. They're a good band with three fantastic LPs but still...

Also the worst metal thing is all the genre classifications and elitism. Sometimes I just want to say converge is hardcore and call it a day

Greg

That attitude is why I stay out of the metal thread. Way too much elitism, and ironically you know more about the genre and its sub-genres than 99% of the people in that thread. Maybe it's just a few people, I'm not sure, but it was enough to turn me off to it.

At the end of the day it really comes down to one thing --- how many Swedish churches have you burned down? This is the only meaningful metric, and anyone who tells you otherwise is a spawn of God.

yeah, I love the metal thread for dropping/picking up recommendations, but a lot of people seem to be stuck in a musical rut. I understand disliking something after listening to it, but there's a lot of dismissal based on weird criteria like band image/age/the genre they're labeled into.

It's disappointing to see so much misinformation when you see random metal threads pop up on GAF and there's a lot of "HOW CAN YOU ENJOY THIS MUSIC" and "IT ALL SOUNDS THE SAME", but it's also not surprising considering how there are a lot of elitist assholes that give it a bad rep.

edit: GO PACK GO!

jmdajr

It's disappointing to see so much misinformation when you see random metal threads pop up on GAF and there's a lot of "HOW CAN YOU ENJOY THIS MUSIC" and "IT ALL SOUNDS THE SAME", but it's also not surprising considering how there are a lot of elitist assholes that give it a bad rep.

It's understandable. You got the people who can't stand metal, and those that can't stand anything that isn't. Personally I have no problem going back and forth between Metal and say Pop music. It's all just there for me to enjoy...

It's understandable. You got the people who can't stand metal, and those that can't stand anything that isn't. Personally I have no problem going back and forth between Metal and say Pop music. It's all just there for me to enjoy...
Metal isn't entertainment, dude, it's a lifestyle. If you aren't bathing in goat blood at least once a week you're doing it wrong.

Greg

I think my main problem is that the people who can't stand metal are offered suggestions by the people who can't stand anything that isn't metal. Their suggestions are usually something obscure, which then feeds back to the image of how limited metal is. And then you have the people that seem genuinely interested in adding to the conversation by saying "I like metal. I listen to..." and everyone jumps on them saying it's not "real" metal.

Certain genres were a complete turnoff for me when I first got into heavier stuff (technical death metal). Despite me loving it now, I wouldn't recommend that to anyone that's new to metal and interested in developing an appreciation for what it can be.

I mostly listen to trance.

Wanna fight about it?
I bet you listen to new trance. I'll kick your ass while listening to my 80s trance, poser.

Top Bottom