• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Divisional |OT| Don't Call It A Comeback

I don't know if they were willing to hand him total control like that. I can't imagine Ruston Webster would be willing to hand over the keys. Webster is pretty much calling the shots these days. I've heard all sorts of stories about why he came to Nashville. From more money to how Stafford sitting in on his interview turned him off or how Detroit wasn't willing to switch to a 3-4 to his wife didn't like Detroit. I'm not crazy about the hire since I remember how things collapsed in Arizona after Warner retired and I was more interested in Greg Roman. But at least he seems like an upgrade over Munchak.
I will personally be very interested in seeing how much control he has. It will just be PC answers out of Whiz and the Titans FO but his control over the roster will be telling.
Browns should talk to Arian Foster about head coach position. He never pulls out.
Bad um Tish!

Taking all the way back to 1996

Panthers: 187
Opponents: 194

6 wins, 4 losses

Granted one of those defeats was at Lambeau Field back when it was actually fucking LAMBEAU FIELD, and they didn't let just anyone go in and win there.

Strangely enough, I could find no record for the score of the 2003-04 Super Bowl.

DMczaf

Freeman sucks dude.

joshfreemanfubmle.gif%3Fw%3D400%26h%3D225

6 wins, 4 losses

Granted one of those defeats was at Lambeau Field back when it was actually fucking LAMBEAU FIELD, and they didn't let just anyone go in and win there.

Strangely enough, I could find no record for the score of the 2003 Super Bowl.

You were too young to remember it.

6 wins, 4 losses

Strangely enough, I could find no record for the score of the 2003-04 Super Bowl.

That was stricken from the record if I recall correctly, something about it not counting because of cheating?

effzee

Of course, there was never any doubt. The main thing with Cam is that he's only 24. Younger than Wilson and Kaepernick. He's shown consistent improvement as a passer. Clear upward curve in all areas, especially efficiency. The challenge for the organization now is to get him some help at receiver. This is one of the most loaded drafts at WR ever so the timing is good. A big guy with a large catch radius to go along with Ginn's down field speed would be ideal. Throw Smith in the slot for the last couple years of his career and that's a solid group.

There are a lot of options for teams looking for WRs. The draft obviously but a lot of FAs too who are young and could possibly be amazing players going forward.

I wouldn't be shocked if Hakeem Nicks is a Panther next season.

effzee

Not unless he takes a huge hometown discount.

He nearly has to. And that is why this FA WR class might be great to target.

Maclin was hurt missed the whole season and is coming from a torn ACL.

Nicks did battle some injuries but seemed to not give a shit.

Both of these guys aren't going to get the money or years they would ideally want. They might be had at much smaller contracts. Unless the Jets enter the race. You just know they will drive up the price and fuck it up.

Crisco

Banned
Panthers have been trying to find a viable #2 option to go along side Steve Smith for so long that Smith himself is no longer a viable #1 option. That's some sad shit.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
But given his calm demeanor, can he truly change the culture here? We have guys who are completely out of control - how many stupid penalties did Fairley and Willie Young get this season, Suh being Suh (although to be fair he was claim this season), Stafford apparently not studying, etc.

He doesn't seem like the guy who's going to get in people's faces and demand excellence. And while he has two SB rings, Bush had one and the players pretty much ignored his advice, with Stafford blowing his "team meeting" idea off.

Really it depends on two things. First, does he have support of management? This will be seen when Caldwell starts cutting players you don't think should be cut. If they won't get in line, does the coach have the authority to send them to the corn field? Secondly, will players buy in? Usually, they do. Most players understand that the game is their way of making a living and will do what their coach wants in order to try and win and make themselves better. Even the Yucs players went along with Schiano for a while.

effzee

Joe Banner can't hire GMs. He wants control of everything. No one wants to work for Banner after he flipped so quickly on Chud.

Everyone that negotiated with him or interacted with him knew him as someone who would burn bridges before he would give in on one cent. He may be good for your salary cap, but EVERYONE hated him. I thought he would be good in Cleveland for awhile, but at least recently teams that he had control over player decisions have been slop.

Edit: "He's EVIL MOSES. Parting the Fucking Red Sea."

LOL @ Joe Banner being anything other than a glorified accountant.

The more time passes the clearer the picture becomes. The Eagles managed the cap well but they do so now too. There is no secret formula to it. They hit it right with Reid, McNabb, and then Reid selecting Jim Johnson to run his D. They had left over players on D with which JJ succeeded and McNabb and his legs carried the offense.

Banner had very little to do with assembling the team other than running the money and making sure the Eagles were never in cap trouble. Bravo good job Banner! But he budded heads with players, FO people, and by the end was forced out by his own long time best friend Eagles owner Lurie. There are countless tales of him disagreeing with Reid, other front office people, or players who just hated how he negotiated. He also royally fucked up the TO fiasco and let it get out of hand.

Revolver

I will personally be very interested in seeing how much control he has. It will just be PC answers out of Whiz and the Titans FO but his control over the roster will be telling.

Yeah, I'm wondering how much control he'll get too. As far as roster moves go it seems like Chris Johnson is a goner. Webster totally dodged a question about him at the presser and went on to talk about how the team needs a culture change. I think CJ and Britt are history. Maybe Fisher will take them in.

effzee

Wow, that is shocking. Horton is a great DC wonder why they want to get rid of him? It sounded like he wanted to come back as well, you would think that would count for something right now.

Fuck I wish the Eagles would bring in Horton. Billy Davis did an admirable job but Horton is obviously a much better defensive coach. I don't even know if he runs a 3-4 or 4-3 but fuck it I want Horton as my DC!

Don't see Chip making that change though unfortunately.

What is it that keeps teams from hiring him as a coach? Mainly that he is a defensive minded coach? Seems just like Caldwell, until now, he gets interviewed by tons of teams only to be used as a minority coach check off.

Caldwell should hire him for his DC in Detroit. He could make that D from underachieving to really good to great.

Crisco

Banned
He nearly has to. And that is why this FA WR class might be great to target.

Maclin was hurt missed the whole season and is coming from a torn ACL.

Nicks did battle some injuries but seemed to not give a shit.

Both of these guys aren't going to get the money or years they would ideally want. They might be had at much smaller contracts. Unless the Jets enter the race. You just know they will drive up the price and fuck it up.

I could see Maclin taking a one year contract to play for the Panthers, but that doesn't really solve our problem. Nicks is about the only FA who would, but signing him would necessitate letting Hardy walk. That may still happen, but I'd want us to make every effort to resign him before moving on.

effzee

Sucks if Lazor is leaving for the Det OC job.

First of all he has an awesome name. 2ndly he did a great job with Vick, Foles, and from what we hear even Barkley whose improvement should be seen in this up coming season.

I even heard his name up for some HC jobs. No doubt in my mind that if he fixes some of Stafford's mechanics and other issues, he will have Detroit's already good offense playing even better. And if he does that he will be a top candidate for HC opening in Jan 2015.

Wish we keep the rest of the staff together, unless of course Horton wants to run the D. Continuity has to count for something. More than anyone else though I really wish Gamble doesn't leave. Really need his experience in building the 49ers 3-4 D for the Eagles. And just his pick ups in general. Roseman is still more of an accountant than a scout/personnel guy. Gamble needs to be the one running the show.

An article says he is the most suited to play the slot position. Champ moves to number two CB.

Quice got burned every time he saw the field this year on defense; he also got destroyed by Flacco in the AFCCG last year.

Still, good special teamer and if you're really desperate van fill in the slot.

But yeah, he's there to snitch, but unlike Branch he can probably actually tell them stuff.

Hunter S.

Quice got burned every time he saw the field this year on defense; he also got destroyed by Flacco in the AFCCG last year.

Still, good special teamer and if you're really desperate van fill in the slot.

But yeah, he's there to snitch, but unlike Branch he can probably actually tell them stuff.

I fully agree. If they wanted to add depth only they could of gone anywhere. Makes me wonder if they just fly him out to pick his brain and then hardly play him.

Can't believe Caldwell got another job as head coach. Did they see how crummy the Ravens offense looked this year? I know they lost some guys but a good OC could still make do.

Top Bottom