• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Divisional |OT| Don't Call It A Comeback

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/ar...the-Year/8424f08d-e0ad-44a1-92ba-330046ca3a91

That's my linebacker.

terrell_owens_crying.jpg

WanderingWind

I think EJ has proven he has ability, but no durability. Maybe he just had shit luck. Maybe his playstyle isn't going to work with the big boys in the NFL.

LJ has a better eye for what we need. I think Byrd playing games is going to cause us to draft his replacement and we still need quality wideouts. I think if a promising QB prospect just falls in out laps, we shouldn't not take him because EJ is unquestionably a franchise back. But, I think we have other needs.

CJ is broke too much and Jackson is too old to be dependable. RB in third round, maybe? OL is always a concern.

But, it's the Bills. They'll probably draft a kicker in the second.

squicken

I kind of liked the Bills season last year. The Browns talked of firing Chud b/c the team laid down at the end of the year, and the coaches and players all said that the QB injuries were at fault.

But BUF had QB issues and managed to stay competitive. Maybe that is Pettine more than Marrone, but guys were still giving full effort at the end of they ear. Early on I thought they were getting good play from the offense, relatively speaking, but it seemed to crater late.

When I watched EJ run it almost seemed like he didn't realize how fast the game was, and it got him hurt. Like he thought he could avoid hits that he couldn't. I'm not sure how gifted he's going to be as a scrambler and runner. Never really looked great throwing it. If they see a QB in the draft they love, they should pull the trigger. Don't think EJ's play can let them consider the situation settled.

As far as RBs it seems like a pretty solid class. No first round studs, but there will be more in the 2nd and 3rd than last year

I think EJ has proven he has ability, but no durability. Maybe he just had shit luck. Maybe his playstyle isn't going to work with the big boys in the NFL.

LJ has a better eye for what we need. I think Byrd playing games is going to cause us to draft his replacement and we still need quality wideouts. I think if a promising QB prospect just falls in out laps, we shouldn't not take him because EJ is unquestionably a franchise back. But, I think we have other needs.

CJ is broke too much and Jackson is too old to be dependable. RB in third round, maybe? OL is always a concern.

But, it's the Bills. They'll probably draft a kicker in the second.

Trade Bryd to the Eagles for a 2nd that way you wont feel so bad using a 2nd on a K.

WanderingWind

I kind of liked the Bills season last year. The Browns talked of firing Chud b/c the team laid down at the end of the year, and the coaches and players all said that the QB injuries were at fault.

But BUF had QB issues and managed to stay competitive. Maybe that is Pettine more than Marrone, but guys were still giving full effort at the end of they ear. Early on I thought they were getting good play from the offense, relatively speaking, but it seemed to crater late.

When I watched EJ run it almost seemed like he didn't realize how fast the game was, and it got him hurt. Like he thought he could avoid hits that he couldn't. I'm not sure how gifted he's going to be as a scrambler and runner. Never really looked great throwing it. If they see a QB in the draft they love, they should pull the trigger. Don't think EJ's play can let them consider the situation settled.

As far as RBs it seems like a pretty solid class. No first round studs, but there will be more in the 2nd and 3rd than last year

Pretty much what I think. I think year 2 is going to be more crucial to EJ's development than even most young QBs. Either he understands that he can't afford to read one, then run, or he doesn't and gets messed up for good.

Trade Bryd to the Eagles for a 2nd that way you wont feel so bad using a 2nd on a K.

Nah. You guys would probably turn him into a linebacker or something stupid like that.

Offensive coaching purge begins in NY.

Patricia Traina @Patricia_Traina 19m

RB coach Jerald Ingram has also been let go per a source. Wow!

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet 46m

#Giants offensive shakeup could include a bombshell: TE coach Mike Pope could be replaced after more than 2 decades with NYG, source says

This has since been confirmed. Mike Pope is being let go.

Mike Pope has been a Giants coach for nearly two decades and is, IMO one of the best tight end coaches out there. He's made productive players out of less than stellar personnel over the years. Not sure I agree with that particular decision at all but I suppose it was coming with McAdoo taking over and installing a new offense. Word is he'll have some say with Coughlin on how his offensive coaching staff will be.

Ingram is also a long time Coughlin assistant coach. He's had a great tenture with the Giants but it looks like the lack of development of David Wilson may have cost him his job.

If Mike fucking Pope gets fired and Tom Quinn keeps his job? Just fucking kill me.

QB coach Sean Ryan is said to be safe but he may end up being reassigned to another position.

Striker

Jake ballardþ@TheJakeBallard5m
Can't believe Coach Mike Pope is out of New York... Didn't like waking up to this news... Great coach and great person!

Ralph Vacchianoþ@RVacchianoNYDN31s
From former Giants TE Martellus Bennett ... RT @martysaurusrex Mike Pope leaving the Giants. Wow. Such a great man and awesome coach.

If he goes it stinks. He made Becky into a decent #2 TE and got some several good years from the likes of Kevin Boss and Jake Ballard. Bennett also really liked him. It might be McAdoo's input, but I still don't get why they'd let this guy go but keep Tom Quinn.

If he goes it stinks. He made Becky into a decent #2 TE and got some several good years from the likes of Kevin Boss and Jake Ballard. Bennett also really liked him. It might be McAdoo's input, but I still don't get why they'd let this guy go but keep Tom Quinn.
He has pictures of Coughlin doing an underage hooker or something. It's the only plausible explanation at this point.

Giants are doing a controlled burn of the old infrastructure. It seems no one is safe.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/34039/with-mcadoo-giants-try-something-new

But as of right now, on the night McAdoo has been hired to run the Giants' offense, it's worth taking note that this is the Giants doing something they don't normally do. They're taking a chance on a fresh, new face with ideas that differ from theirs. They're dipping their staid blue toe into new waters, mainly out of an admission that what they were doing for so long had stopped working. It's a pretty big deal, and however it works out, it speaks to the state of the franchise right now. After 10 years of Manning and Coughlin, they don't believe their run is coming to an end, but they're at least admitting to themselves that they'll need to try something different if they want to be right.
120415eli-manning1.jpg

Chris Mortensen @mortreport 3m

Mike Zimmer and Vikings are moving toward a deal, hoping to complete negotiations by today, per league sources.

Zimmer has been in town for two days now with an 2nd interview taking place yesterday. All signs point to him being the next Vikings HC unless something major breaks down in the negotiations.

Giants are doing a controlled burn of the old infrastructure. It seems no one is safe.
If there's anything positive to take from this, its that Coughlin and company are showing a willingness to make major changes to the offensive side of the ball.

The problem I have with this "controlled" burn is who they are purging. Sean Ryan still has a job despite Eli having two poor season under him as QB coach. Kevin Gilbride Jr. still has a job despite the WR's having no clue how to run their routes properly. Tom Quinn is still employed despite ST's giving up 3 TD runs and being general garbage for most of the season (and for years now really!).

.....but Mike Pope is fired. Ok. Ingram is somewhat understandable at least given the RB situation but eh. Not a fan of the move at all.

Top Bottom