• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Divisional |OT| Don't Call It A Comeback

squicken

Sometimes Roman guesses correctly and the play fails anyway. This happened against the Packers last Sunday. Roman called a pass for Vernon Davis, who ran deep and out toward the right sideline and beat his man. Anquan Boldin was supposed to sprint to the end zone and clear space for Davis, but Boldin stopped sprinting 10 yards into his route and started jogging. Boldin knew he wasn’t getting the ball. He was a decoy, and receivers don’t run as hard when they are decoys. It’s human nature.

Tramon Williams, the Packers’ cornerback covering Boldin, saw him start to jog and stopped covering him. Williams saw Kaepernick wind up and throw to Davis. Williams broke on the pass and easily intercepted it.

Shula’s passing game does not work that way.

The success of Shula’s passing game does not depend on Shula guessing right. It depends on his quarterback, Cam Newton, making good decisions. This is the essence of the “erto.”

“A good decision means (Newton) is getting the ball out there on time, his feet are set, he’s going to the right guy,” Shula told the Charlotte Observer. “When he’s making those good decisions, we’ve won games.”

Damn thought SF was a slight favorite but now idk this sounds sad

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Dumb quote - Boldin goes lazy on the route and it's the system's fault? Part of play calling is completely about predicting what the defense is going to do. Guessing has nothing to do with it, it's about execution. Another Cohn clickbait article, surprise!

lolololllllllllllll that is what cohn is basing this on? maybe he should watch boldins 66 yard reception against arizona. newsflash: what you saw from boldin there IS him running at full speed. he is not fast. his route against GB looked like him running at full speed in the open field. and why would boldin get the ball in that position anyways basically being double covered? if kap threw to boldin it would've been picked. if he put the ball on a bit more of a rope he could've gotten davis or avoided the INT. he probably should have gone into the flat to gore on that play but he doesn't throw to our rb's.... even though cohn claims he does.

cohn is a troll. the more he talks shit about the niners, the more people rabble about his articles and the more clicks he gets.

Godslay

Banned
Living in Colorado, it's true that people are generally more outdoorsy and into fitness here. Still, it's embarrassing when our healthiest state still has almost a fifth of its population obese.

Thanks! You'll be joining me on the 33 train soon?

Yeah, when you put it that way it sounds terrible.

Happy Birthday btw, sounds like the best gift is a cool wife. 30 somethings unite.

Dumb quote - Boldin goes lazy on the route and it's the system's fault? Part of play calling is completely about predicting what the defense is going to do. Guessing has nothing to do with it, it's about execution. Another Cohn clickbait article, surprise!

...And the execution is poor, which is to be expected when the receiver knows he's not getting the ball.

XiaNaphryz

...And the execution is poor, which is to be expected when the receiver knows he's not getting the ball.

Which is poor form on the receiver and that shouldn't excuse them. There are plenty of plays where receivers aren't going to get the ball but will fall apart if those others guys don't do their jobs. Pick plays, quick screens, etc.

MechDX

Randy McIlvoy @RandyMcIlvoy
Spoke on phone w/Bruce Matthews who's still in Nashville.Told .me " would love to keep coaching. & if HOU is interested I'll listen" #Texans

Do it BOB! Get the band back together.

Munch and Matthews, BOB, ManGenious, Mallet, Romeo.....I cant contain myself!

so lets assume OUT OF NOWHERE the 49ers guess wrong on that play and VD wasn't "open". you honestly believe that kap then shuts down and simply takes the sack? if you honestly believe that then you must consider the 49ers to be the luckiest team in the history of the league because you dont have 3 straight seasons as good as we have by "guessing" what the defense will run and have 1 receiver in mind on the play

squicken

BdlYE3xCUAAzPXx.jpg

HoF finalists. 5 get in not including Senior Candidates. bummed Coryell didn't make the cut. Such an impact on the game, but just from success as a coach I guess he doesn't measure up

Jones
Shields
Williams
Brooks
Shooter

Which is poor form on the receiver and that shouldn't excuse them. There are plenty of plays where receivers aren't going to get the ball but will fall apart if those others guys don't do their jobs. Pick plays, quick screens, etc.

execution of plays is why plays often fail though, and why certain coaches can't stand working with diva players who won't do nuts and bolts stuff like block on running plays.

so lets assume OUT OF NOWHERE the 49ers guess wrong on that play and VD wasn't "open". you honestly believe that kap then shuts down and simply takes the sack? if you honestly believe that then you must consider the 49ers to be the luckiest team in the history of the league because you dont have 3 straight seasons as good as we have by "guessing" what the defense will run and have 1 receiver in mind on the play

Dude's argument is probably simplified for effect, but it makes sense, especially when Crabtree went down and all Kap had to throw to was a group of JAGS. His running is a huge safety valve too, as his numbers will attest to.

XiaNaphryz

execution of plays is why plays often fail though, and why certain coaches can't stand working with diva players who won't do nuts and bolts stuff like block on running plays.

I know, the article was saying it's the system's fault for that play failing because the coach "guessed" it would work in the situation as opposed to the players not executing the play properly.

It won't matter if Cam is "getting the ball out there on time, his feet are set, he’s going to the right guy" if someone else in the play screws up their assignment and causes the play to go wrong anyway.

cdyhybrid

I know, the article was saying it's the system's fault for that play failing because the coach "guessed" it would work in the situation as opposed to the players not executing the play properly.

He did guess. He guessed that Boldin would get off his lazy ass that particular play and put in an effort. He guessed wrong.

squicken

I remember last year there was something like SF didn't do sight reads. The WRs just ran their routes and the play supposedly accounted for anything the defense might do. Alex or Harbs just had to have it figured out pre-snap and go to the right guy.

Really does sound like Harbs is trying to play QB from the sidelines

Dude's argument is probably simplified for effect, but it makes sense, especially when Crabtree went down and all Kap had to throw to was a group of JAGS. His running is a huge safety valve too, as his numbers will attest to.

kap didn't run for the majority of the first half of the season. he didn't have his first rushing TD until week 7 against the titans. he ran VERY infrequently for the first part of the season. his receivers were a 32 year old boldin who does not get separation, kyle williams, marlon moore and an injured manningham (for some of the season). now he did have vernon davis and that's why his early season stats werent god awful.

i will grant you that a guy like peypey or brady could make this receiver group work. kap is not a hall of famer. kap is not some type of brilliant QB who knows what is coming before the ball is snapped like peypey and he doesn't have the accuracy of a brady. but i'm sorry that group of receivers is absolute trash for a guy like kap.

of COURSE his numbers have improved quite a bit since crabtree came back. why? because crabtree is an actual top 20 WR in the NFL and demands attention. less attention for everyone else, including kap.

kap needs to improve the speed in which he makes decisions and his progressions and his accuracy and the touch on his throws and everything else. but for a guy who has started about 25-ish games i'd say he's doing ok for himself. he looked ahead of himself in last years playoffs because the read option was difficult for teams to understand

anyhow, when i put myself in an unbiased frame of mind about this allegation that kap has one read on each play or the field is always cut in half my first question would be how can this possible succeed in the nfl? it makes absolutely no sense but it'll get you some clicks!

What we do know is that Kaepernick was AWFUL at the beginning of the season and couldn't string together drives to save his life. What changed? His receiving talent. skill positions couldn't work themselves open to the degree Kaepernick was used to, offense started going through Boldin who muscled DB's but didn't get a lot of separation.

What we do know is that Kaepernick was AWFUL at the beginning of the season and couldn't string together drives to save his life. What changed? His receiving talent. skill positions couldn't work themselves open to the degree Kaepernick was used to, offense started going through Boldin who muscled DB's but didn't get a lot of separation.

none of our WR's get separation, including crabtree. the reason crabtree is so valuable is because his hands are so good. he has never been a burner and never created separation from CB's to deem him wide open

Greg cosell said on the herd that Kap is a one read WB and will use his legs if it's not there

he did? welp thats all i need to hear. 1 read it IS!

jakncoke

Banned
I hope Jerome Bettis makes it to troll squicken.

Morten Andersen
Jerome Bettis
Derrick Brooks
Tim Brown
Edward DeBartolo
Tony Dungy
Kevin Greene
Charles Haley
Marvin Harrison
Walter Jones
John Lynch
Andre Reed
Will Shields
Michael Strahan
Aeneas Williams

Also

Two senior nominees, punter Ray Guy and defensive end Claude Humphrey, were selected as finalists in August by the Hall of Fame's Senior Selection Committee.

How I miss this?

Spinluck

BdlYE3xCUAAzPXx.jpg

HoF finalists. 5 get in not including Senior Candidates. bummed Coryell didn't make the cut. Such an impact on the game, but just from success as a coach I guess he doesn't measure up

Jones
Shields
Williams
Brooks
Shooter

it would be killer if Harrison got in.

he was great at murdering defenses.

squicken

What's Squicken have against Bettis?

He's not one of the 5 best players on that list. Who was ever scared of Jerome Bettis? That's my acid test for skill players. Oh shit, we have to divert extra attention to this dude or he will ruin our day. Bettis ain't that guy. Good back who extended his career with goal line runs and played for Pittsburgh

It's not like it is just him. I don't think Curtis Martin should have gotten in. Too many RBs and QBs ahead of OL/WR and defense

Godslay

Banned
Interesting fact that when Peyton and John were 36 their playoff records looked like this:

Peyton Manning (36 years old): 9-11 in the playoffs, 1-1 in the Super Bowl
John Elway (36 years old): 7-8 in the playoffs, 0-3 in the Super Bowl

Not that there is anything to derive from this, just an interesting parallel between the two at this age.

Interesting fact that when Peyton and John were 36 their playoff records looked like this:

Not that there is anything to derive from this, just an interesting parallel between the two at this age.

So which RB are the Broncos going to draft to carry Peyton to two rings?

So you're saying Manning is winning two more superbowls and retiring? I'm ok with that.

one has a noodle arm, especially in the cold, and the other one is john elway

He's not one of the 5 best players on that list. Who was ever scared of Jerome Betsti? That's my acid test for skill players. Oh shit, we have to divert extra attention to this dude or he will ruin our day. Bettis ain't that guy. Good back who extended his career with goal line runs and played for Pittsburgh

It's not like it is just him. I don't think Curtis Martin should have gotten in. Too many RBs and QBs ahead of OL/WR and defense

Tons of teams. That was Bettis' MO - He'll run over you. 3 yards and a cloud of dust yeah, but you can't stop it.

Granted I agree he was an Emmitt type who stayed for a million years due to the line being dominant and he was strictly a short yardage/goal line guy at the end of his career. That said he was pretty feared at the height of his career.

Godslay

Banned
So which RB are the Broncos going to draft to carry Peyton to two rings?

Moreno/Ball are good enough to do it in this offense, but I appreciate the respect for TD.

So you're saying Manning is winning two more superbowls and retiring? I'm ok with that.

A man can dream.

one has a noodle arm, especially in the cold, and the other one is john elway

What does that say for defenses in this game? Letting a noodle armed old man style all over them? Sad state of affairs, indeed. Even his old geriatric buddy Brady had a good year.

What he is really saying is that the Broncos should hire Shanahan after they choke this year.

Mike Shanahan is still the best HC the Broncos have ever had. As far as choking, that may or may not happen, but what's it like in the future. Did we get the hoverboard yet?

Fiesty bunch tonight.

@Deacon

You told me the Broncos wouldn't crack 20 in over all defense earlier in the year, now here we are at #19. They don't have to be great, just make stops at the right time. We might be fucked, but we still have to play the game(s).

jakncoke

Banned
He's not one of the 5 best players on that list. Who was ever scared of Jerome Bettis? That's my acid test for skill players. Oh shit, we have to divert extra attention to this dude or he will ruin our day. Bettis ain't that guy. Good back who extended his career with goal line runs and played for Pittsburgh

Well.. the acid test from your ass is flawed. Just because the voters tend to vote in rbs and qbs more often doesnt mean we should start punishing players thats them being shitting at what they are suppose to be doing + working with limits. There shouldn't be any limits anyways, you're a hall of famer or not.

@Deacon

You told me the Broncos wouldn't crack 20 in over all defense earlier in the year, now here we are at #19. They don't have to be great, just make stops at the right time. We might be fucked, but we still have to play the game(s).

Not sure where you got 20. They are actually 14th in YPG, but the point is I was wrong so I concede.

That said, they're not a good defense, or at least they weren't in the reg. season. Bad offenses plus TOP splits improved the defense by proxy,

All it takes is a hot streak like that 07 Colts team went on to win the dance. My point though, as it has always been, is that Peyton's gifts while considerable will not be enough to win it all alone. Like the 07 Colts he's going to need production from somewhere else. Those things matter in the postseason - just ask Aaron Rodgers.

bret.jpg

the hitman loves the niners! don't show this to any panthers fans/players.... the butthurt will explode into overdrive

p.s.

i'd definitely like to have interracial sex with this woman

Bret Hart is a dirty Canadian that couldn't get over the fact that Shawn Michaels and Goldberg were better draws than his boring technical wrasslin.

Go watch some hockey you biiiiiiitch.

Top Bottom