• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Divisional |OT| Don't Call It A Comeback

BigAT

Googled and found some Reddit thread:

2015: First year eligibles: Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt, Edgerrin James, Ty Law, Kevin Mawae, Orlando Pace, Junior Seau, Kurt Warner

2016: First year eligibles: Alan Faneca, Brett Favre, Terrell Owens, Clinton Portis

2017: First year eligibles: Brian Dawkins, Donovan McNabb, Jason Taylor, LaDainian Tomlinson, Hines Ward, Ricky Williams

2018: First year eligibles: Donald Driver, Ray Lewis, Jeff Saturday, Jason Taylor

Time for FMT to finally pay off his bet.

ShaneB

Posted yet?

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/08/nfl-tv-ratings-nbc-cbs-espn-fox-playoffs/

goodellswimminginmoney.gif

Also, notice that the highest rated games for the season on NBC, ESPN and NFLN were all Eagles games. #Revolution

I mean, we've all known the NFL is an absolute TV ratings juggernaut, but it still amazes me to see those sort of numbers. As a long time Hockey fan, I guess I'm just not use to the idea of such massive tv ratings. It also certainly helps that it's the one game do-or-die format.

I had a nightmare last night that the Niners won the SB =( I did not sleep well after waking up from that =(

gutshot

Also Hines Ward doesn't deserve the HoF. Hall of Pretty Damn Good, sure. But alongside Jerry Rice and shit? Nah.

Ricky Williams deserves it even less than him. Not sure how he is even on that list of eligibles. Was the guy that compiled it a Longhorns fan or something?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Ricky Williams deserves it even less than him. Not sure how he is even on that list of eligibles. Was the guy that compiled it a Longhorns fan or something?

Yeah, he was more or less a bust. I mean, he was famous for dropping out of the NFL to smoke pot full time, only to come back when the creditors got on his ass, but I don't think that's the fame the hall is about.

jakncoke

Banned
Also Hines Ward doesn't deserve the HoF. Hall of Pretty Damn Good, sure. But alongside Jerry Rice and shit? Nah.

He should get in just because he was a slow former qb! Who would predict he'd turn that into a 1000 catch, 12000 yard career ! But yeah if guys like Andre Reed and Tim Brown and Chris Carter have trouble getting in he wont sadly or really not that soon.

This is off point but look how many WRs that were on the prelim that had tons of stats. Its going to be interesting what they define a HOF worthy WR in this era

*Tim Brown
Mark Clayton
Gary Clark
Henry Ellard
Keyshawn Johnson
Keenan McCardell
*Andre Reed
Sterling Sharpe
Jimmy Smith
Rod Smith

brentech

Most of them aren't getting in. Maybe 6 or 7 over the years. If a lot of previous guys are having problems getting in, I don't see how most of those even stand a chance. Some of them don't even deserve to be listed as options.

eznark

Banned
I said this in the baseball thread but I think it applies to all hall of fames. You should only have one vote every five years. You only get to vote for one person. That person needs a majority. That would make the Hall of Fames special again.

Also, since they are so fucking bloated with trash like Jim Rice and Joe Namath, every year there is a vote to vote people out. You get to vote for 5 guys but they need 66% to get booted. Fuck you Broadway Schmuck.

Talon

I said this in the baseball thread but I think it applies to all hall of fames. You should only have one vote every five years. You only get to vote for one person. That person needs a majority. That would make the Hall of Fames special again.

Also, since they are so fucking bloated with trash like Jim Rice and Joe Namath, every year there is a vote to vote people out. You get to vote for 5 guys but they need 66% to get booted. Fuck you Broadway Schmuck.

NFL isn't anywhere as bad as the MLB when it comes to "Hall of Very Good," though. It's basically Namath.

brentech

lol, that'd be amazing. so my tears though

Tom Penny

Prediction time. I don't pick Pats games but will say I don't see them having any advantage except for that it's at home. If both teams play well they are basically equal. Flip a coin.

Denver - Likely an easily win. Their A game is considerably better than the Chargers. The last meeting was also a thursday game in which teams generally have played like poop all year.

SF - I think they are the 2nd best team..only reason not 1 is because they did not get homefield thoughout. They win a close game.

Hawks - Their home. Saints on the road again. Can't pick the Saints.

eznark

Banned
NFL isn't anywhere as bad as the MLB when it comes to "Hall of Very Good," though. It's basically Namath.

Then it won't be a problem, no one will get voted out. Thing is though we're coming up on an era of nominees like Kurt Warner, the billion receivers, Jason Taylor, LdT etc. who were good players in their day but not legit all time greats.

My ideal Hall of Fame would be 22 players (one at each position), a kicker, a punter, a coach and an executive that was up for vote once every 5 years. If you are't the greatest who ever played the position, go fuck off and fade like the rest of the losers.

jakncoke

Banned

Yet.

But I dont really care if it does, its just a big circle jerk anyways for the writers. If you sucked the medias dick you're treated better in HOF voting. Just a bunch of olds who want power and desk jockey nerds who were male cheerleaders in HS and never got to be football star and fuck the prom queen.

Talon

Then it won't be a problem, no one will get voted out. Thing is though we're coming up on an era of nominees like Kurt Warner, the billion receivers, Jason Taylor, LdT etc. who were good players in their day but not legit all time greats.

My ideal Hall of Fame would be 22 players (one at each position), a kicker, a punter, a coach and an executive that was up for vote once every 5 years. If you are't the greatest who ever played the position, go fuck off and fade like the rest of the losers.
Oh, shit. I forgot how furious I was going to be when Kurt Warner comes up for consideration.

22 guys? Sounds like a great field trip.

eznark

Banned
He was an asshole, but his numbers are definitely HoF worthy. No. 2 all-time in receiving yards, no. 6 in receptions, no. 3 in receiving TDs, no. 5 in overall TDs.

So you are saying even based on raw stats a bunch of guys were better than him.

gutshot

So you are saying even based on raw stats a bunch of guys were better than him.

Well, yeah. If we are following your HoF plan than Jerry Rice would be the HoF WR and there wouldn't be any more discussion. But that's not how it works.

All the people above him and some of the people below him in the all-time stat categories are Hall of Famers or future Hall of Famers. So I don't see how he won't get in.

jakncoke

Banned
Andre Reed might have to wait to the vet committee recommendation , like Ray Guy. I mean shit if he doesnt get in this year, it'll be his 8th straight final 15 and not get in. In retrospect Chris Carter took 6 final 15 to get in, Ray Guy was on 7 different final 15 off and on. Who else has appeared on a lot of final 15 and not gotten in?

Tom Penny

TO isn't getting in. Hall of fame knows the QB makes the WR. Look at Megatron. For the most part unless you're near Jerry Rice levels forget about it.

Googled and found some Reddit thread:

2015: First year eligibles: Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt, Edgerrin James, Ty Law, Kevin Mawae, Orlando Pace, Junior Seau, Kurt Warner

2016: First year eligibles: Alan Faneca, Brett Favre, Terrell Owens, Clinton Portis

2017: First year eligibles: Brian Dawkins, Donovan McNabb, Jason Taylor, LaDainian Tomlinson, Hines Ward, Ricky Williams

2018: First year eligibles: Donald Driver, Ray Lewis, Jeff Saturday, Jason Taylor

I bolded the guaranteed first year HOF'ers. I don't think Hines Ward, Donald Driver, Clinton Portis, McNabb, or Edgerrin James will ever make the cut. Torry Holt and Issac Bruce will probably be senior candidate HOF selections.

The NFL Hall of Fame has historically been very unkind to receivers.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Oh, shit. I forgot how furious I was going to be when Kurt Warner comes up for consideration.

You know he's getting in despite his time with the Giants.

Just like Brees will get in even though he wants everyone to forget he was a Charger!

I bring it up every time one of these Saints fans try to tell me he's the best QB in the league. You can't erase San Diego!

(I credit eznark for first making this argument several years back on this board)

WanderingWind

TO isn't getting in. Hall of fame knows the QB makes the WR. Look at Megatron. For the most part unless you're near Jerry Rice levels forget about it.

Yeah. With such amazing QBs like Jeff Garcia, Tony Romo, Carson Palmer and Ryan Fitzpatrick, it was clearly all the QB.

jakncoke

Banned
Yeah. With such amazing QBs like Jeff Garcia, Tony Romo, Carson Palmer and Ryan Fitzpatrick, it was clearly all the QB.

I think the megatron part was the joke give away. At least I hope he is otherwise he should choke on his next crab because Megatron should be 1st ballot on the basis of how many terrible garbage passes he has to deal with on a game to game basis by that pudgy dough boy. It would be interesting to see just how terrible Stafford would be if megatron wasnt there.

WanderingWind

But it's irrelevant because only having one person from each position is pants on head stupid. The game has been going on for decades and rule changes mean stats are going to always be getting better for modern players. It wouldn't be a hall of fame, it'd be a hall of the recently retired. Fuck that.

And to highlight, which QB gets in?

eznark

Banned
But it's irrelevant because only having one person from each position is pants on head stupid. The game has been going on for decades and rule changes mean stats are going to always be getting better for modern players. It wouldn't be a hall of fame, it'd be a hall of the recently retired. Fuck that.

And to highlight, which QB gets in?

Far more likely that there would be more dead guys than living guys at like all times (at least in baseball, football is too young but you get the idea)

Montana or Unitas. Maybe YA? Don't know how I would go, but it's far more interesting than "he threw for XX so he is in! EVERYONE IS IN!!!"

WanderingWind

Far more likely that there would be more dead guys than living guys at like all times (at least in baseball, football is too young but you get the idea)

Montana

How are you picking them then? The person who defined his era? Or the guy who came after and obliterated everything that was done at that position?

Nah, this is the most insane idea since everything FMT has thought in his life.

eznark

Banned
How are you picking them then? The person who defined his era? Or the guy who came after and obliterated everything that was done at that position?

Nah, this is the most insane idea since everything FMT has thought in his life.

Same way they pick them now. Opinions and bullshit.

Top Bottom