• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Divisional |OT| Don't Call It A Comeback

squicken

The company is certainly run by homophobic fucks, but their food is pretty good.

Can't buy a piece of electronics that isn't assembled by Chinese slave labor. We all gotta take our stands and I cross the line when it comes to delicious chicken and things that use electricity

Syrinx

Every time I feel like eating Chick-Fil-A, I just eat a cajun chicken biscuit from Bojangles instead. Too bad their fries are subpar.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Can't buy a piece of electronics that isn't assembled by Chinese slave labor. We all gotta take our stands and I cross the line when it comes to delicious chicken and things that use electricity
At least sweatshop labor can improve economic conditions in an area even when it's intended to be exploitative, as workers gain purchasing power and eventually push for unionization. When an establishment gives the money I spend there to groups on the same level as the modern KKK, I start spending my money elsewhere.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Lol, those mental gymnastics...
Worked for Japanese women in the 1950's and 1960's. They were the main source of cheap labor that enabled them to pump out transistor radios in overseas markets for much less than what American companies like Zenith were selling them. Sure, it was originally exploitative, but those who had nothing before started to buy their own shit for the first time.

What's key is that it's part of an upward trajectory, not a downward or static one. As it happens, workers in China have been pushing for better treatment and higher wages.

So is Popeye's better than Chik-Fil-A? Because Chik-Fil-A is pretty freaking amazing... We're making pizza tonight but I'm doing this Popeye's thing tomorrow.

Nameless

I boycotted Chik-Fil-A for a good 9 months, but they're one of the few fast food establishments that don't just serve you an assortment of soggy lukewarm greasey shit.

But I blast "Tiny Dancer" going through the drive-thru, though, for balance.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The Artful Dodger: Besides, I was offering a silver lining, not a full justification. There's no silver lining in what CFA does beyond it being a moot point in America, but the groups they support do promote nasty shit elsewhere.

simples

Banned
just before going to watch the lionking live, the patriots Facebook pages this weeks hype video with zig ziglar adversity quotes popped on my phone. now I'm hyped and it's stuck in my mind

gronk is mufasa doing down
amendola is simba
belichick is rafiki
luck's the hyenas

feel the love tonight gata

Godslay

Banned
About the Peyton Manning post-season record, you really can't say "small sample size" or "shit happens in the NFL". We're talking about 12 seasons where he went to the playoffs. That's a huge sample size in the NFL. Most careers aren't that long, and championship windows are even shorter. If that's not a large enough sample size, than nothing is. You can literally declare every outcome in the NFL a product of random chance. Even if you lop off 3 of those one and done seasons where let's say it wasn't really a championship caliber team anyway, that's still a long time. Overall 9-8, barely over .500 and some of those performances in the L's were very bad. Hell, he threw 3 touchdowns to 7 interceptions the post-season they won it all. And we make fun of Joe Flacco and Trent Dilfer for being carried to rings by their defenses? The bottom line is this guy is a fraud in the playoffs. He may the best regular season QB of all time, but he stinks up the joint in the playoffs. Buyer beware.

When reading that, keep in mind I said this earlier,

I remember the dread going into the playoffs in 97 season. My own family had very little belief that Denver would do much that year in the playoffs.

Elway was a consistent loser in the playoffs and the Superbowl, and I think at that point everyone knew what to expect. You would have likely said the same thing back then, "Elway's post season record... 7-8... perennial choker... bad losses... etc... etc...". The reality of the situation is that playoffs losses rarely are solely attributed to the QB if you dig into the details. Did Elway lose all those games by himself? No. Did Peyton? By your logic yes. But in reality, that's not the truth. The fact of the matter is that stats, win/losses, do not exist in a vacuum. There is always context to be applied, both for Elway, Peyton, and whoever else you want to examine. Maybe Peyton is a playoff choker, but the season isn't over, his career isn't over, and the book isn't closed. I'm not going to lay down a final verdict until it's all said and done.

And :jnfc @ your Flacco/Dilfer comparison.

Nameless

That's plenty of other places you can get a good chicken sandwich without the hate.

Not on my way to work. Burger King is inedible, as is 90% of the McDonald's menu. Sonic's and Hardees aren't bad, but you can't even hide behind a delusion of eating healthy. Not even a little.

Konka

Banned
That's plenty of other places you can get a good chicken sandwich without the hate.

Not with these.

wafflefries2172012.jpg

Tony Sparano signed a 2 year deal to stay with Raiders as assistant head coach/O-line. Glad we were able to keep him. Did wonders with a terrible, terrible line.

squicken

I remember the dread going into the playoffs in 97 season. My own family had very little belief that Denver would do much that year in the playoffs. .

Besides the JAX game, I never thought Elway was a choker. Couldn't beat vastly superior NFC teams in the SB, or beat much better Bills teams. I remember an awful AFC playoff game with Kubiak as QBs that was just brutal

You can go look at the lines for old games on PFR. He didn't lose a game as a favorite until his 14th playoff game. Peyton's deal is he consistently loses games as the favorite

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/ElwaJo00/gamelog/post/

filler

Banned
Vic Tafur ‏@VicTafur 59m
Sparano used #Bucs interest as leverage to get 2-year contract from #Raiders … many around league, including myself, told it was a done deal

this is the first time in 11 years that anyone used another team as leverage to stay with us, lol. it says a lot that marky boy went back on his word and gave out a 2 year deal. sparano will probably replace DA if we aren't at least 4-4 midseason.

this is the first time in 11 years that anyone used another team as leverage to stay with us, lol. it says a lot that marky boy went back on his word and gave out a 2 year deal. sparano will probably replace DA if we aren't at least 4-4 midseason.

eh I don't buy all that shit. if you look at our beat reporters track record, they don't know anymore than we do. mark loves trolling the shit out of them.

eh I don't buy all that shit. if you look at our beat reporters track record, they don't know anymore than we do. mark loves trolling the shit out of them.

Yeah, it's weird to see them all report wildly speculative rumors, rather than just admit they don't know what's going on.

Also Mark Davis said with DA, that it was the Media that was speculating on him firing the coaches not him.

Slo

Could you imagine if the housing market had crashed under his term. like, holy shit, people would probably be lighting their dicks on fire.

No kidding. Bush must be the reason that my other house is barely worth what I bought it for 10 years ago. Fucking Obamabush.

Godslay

Banned
Besides the JAX game, I never thought Elway was a choker. Couldn't beat vastly superior NFC teams in the SB, or beat much better Bills teams. I remember an awful AFC playoff game with Kubiak as QBs that was just brutal

You can go look at the lines for old games on PFR. He didn't lose a game as a favorite until his 14th playoff game. Peyton's deal is he consistently loses games as the favorite

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/ElwaJo00/gamelog/post/

The narrative was that John couldn't get it done. Always lost the big games. It got progressively worse until that Jacksonville season, which was a cherry on the shit pie of the 3-4 years prior. I think saying that Peyton loses as the favorite is moving the goal posts, everyone says 9-11 nobody says 11 losses as a favorite. Maybe it's implied, but I think that the comparison is fair at this point.

As far as John, it was so bad that Shanahan compared Romo to Elway in the sense that no one believed that he could do it, until he actual did it. Nobody believed in Elway at that point. I remember tuning into the Superbowl against Green Bay feeling that I know how this ends, why am I torturing myself? I thought John would throw the game away to be perfectly honest, and I think my fellow Bronco brethren would tell you that either they knew someone who felt that way, or they felt that way themselves. It was incredibly pervasive at that point.

Sure, John performed at points, but he underperformed as well. Especially early on in the big stage. Same as Peyton. Different eras, different context, but I feel the same feeling with Peyton as I did with Elway. There was/is the specter of wondering if the guy will either throw away or seal the game for you. Always the question of whether they could actually finish climbing the mountain. Even with that, I kept coming back hoping that they would/will. Elway finished it and silenced the critics, and now Peyton has his chance. I'm not going to guess how it ends, but I remain optimistic.

Top Bottom