• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Preseason/Training Camp thread - Doritos Locos

Fuck.

Just got to the end of SMT4 and got the neutral ending, but I fucked up and saved over my main save, so now I can't go back and do the chaos one. Dumb. Me.

squicken

nfl1_oour29my_gw4w4d9aly6g.jpg

Quarterback Nonsense Index

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/55968780

No athletes generate as much mass-media nonsense as NFL quarterbacks (well, maybe with the exception of one or two). When they win, it is news. But when they lose, lose badly, lose comically, get paid, get married, get a new tattoo or do anything else besides study playbooks and lift weights, it's bigger news. An entire industry is fueled by quarterback nonsense: ESPN would go dark during the day without it, sports radio would not be a three-station-per-market phenomenon, and the blogosphere would go back to being a concentrate-on-your-jobosphere. Also, I would still be teaching algebra.

Quarterback nonsense, in other words, is an economic resource that provides jobs and stimulates commerce. Yet economists have been slow to study it scientifically. What factors generate quarterback nonsense? Which quarterbacks generate the most nonsense? How many jobs does Cam Newton create when he drapes a towel over his head?

You know where this is going: A Quarterback Nonsense Index (QNI). The quantifiable factors are weighted, sums are tallied and we get a rating of which quarterbacks are best at stimulating the kind of prepackaged debate that keeps the lights on over at the First Take studio.

31. (Tie) Russell Wilson, Seahawks; Ryan Tannehill, Dolphins (-3). These two second year quarterbacks are still "in the bonus" when it comes to nonsense. They accomplished just enough as rookies to satisfy expectations (trounce them, in Wilson's case), are too young to have any disappointments on their resume, were too far down in the draft order for advertisers to pounce on them with overexposure and play for smaller media markets at the extreme corners of the nation. Wilson and Tannehill have a grace period that should extend beyond their first slump or less-than-lovable moment. After that, they are on their own.

2. Jay Cutler, Bears (19 points).
No ring, little playoff success, a Noted Playoff Stumble (the ankle injury against the Packers; no one said nonsense was fair), a smokin' Extracurricular meme and high-profile personal life, a big market and a face that contorts all-too-naturally into a sneer make Cutler fun fodder, even for those of us who should know better. Cutler enjoyed some blowback to the blowback after the Smokin' Jay meme got out of control: the guy played hard behind a bad line, and he really does care. Cutler could win a Super Bowl, he could fade away and join Palmer and Rivers on the road out of the spotlight, or he could smirk his way into the #1 spot. Only the Super Bowl can get him quickly out of the QNI top ten.

1. Tony Romo (30 points). What more could you ask for? Romo rings every bell in the system except Recent First Pick Overall. Even Jerry Jones has gotten into the business of measuring the value of Romo's soul. I recently wrote a blog post about how misunderstood Romo's on-field record has become, but the nuts-and-bolts of Romo's usually-solid Sundays are lost in a sea of playoff bumbles and high-profile romances.

Romo may be the most nonsense-laden regular starting quarterback in history. He trumps the late-Eagles career Donovan McNabb (who maxes at 23 points around 2008; McNabb is used to test all nonsense tolerances), and I am terrified my computer will freeze if I run the numbers for Brett Favre. More than a nonsense accumulator, Romo has been a nonsense trailblazer, gaining overexposure early in his career, generating bloopers that presaged the invention of the GIF and creating fodder for football and entertainment blogs from the moment there were football and entertainment blogs.

Spades

I find those adverts quite funny. They are going viral over here in the UK.

And they were on about a million times during the HoF game.

squicken

How long will it take US audiences to figure out that the Premiere League has 5 teams, and the only games that matter are when those 5 teams play each other?

Spades

How long will it take US audiences to figure out that the Premiere League has 5 teams, and the only games that matter are when those 5 teams play each other?

On a serious note, one would think that soccer has grown a considerable amount in the States - the MLS has gone from strength to strength, the national team has been very good for a number of years and now the broadcast of the BPL on NBC is surely a sign that the demand is there?

If the US took soccer seriously, they could win the World Cup within 10 years, given the athletic ability that they have, driven by the school/college system and facilities.

Interestingly, I see that rugby is becoming more popular as well, with a game being broadcast on NFL Network this year.

ChanHuk

Banned
You know what's awkward? Working on a patient suffering from a heart attack while the bed across has a dead body in it.

DJ Hayden still isn't cleared for contact.

Wrayfield

On a serious note, one would think that soccer has grown a considerable amount in the States - the MLS has gone from strength to strength, the national team has been very good for a number of years and now the broadcast of the BPL on NBC is surely a sign that the demand is there?

If the US took soccer seriously, they could win the World Cup within 10 years, given the athletic ability that they have, driven by the school/college system and facilities.

Interestingly, I see that rugby is becoming more popular as well, with a game being broadcast on NFL Network this year.

I'd much rather rugby becomes more popular than euro football. It's already dominating any other sport here so no need to become huge in the US.

Spades

I'd much rather rugby becomes more popular than euro football. It's already dominating any other sport here so no need to become huge in the US.

I'm surprised rugby isn't more popular in the States given the physicality of the sport. A lot of guys who don't get into the NFL could re-train and play professional rugby.

Milchjon

http://arizonasports.com/?nid=40&sid=1653516

Over the weekend I experienced something that I'm still having a hard time wrapping my mind around. Hardcore NFL scouts and coaches are raving about Tyrann Mathieu, the Cardinals' third-round pick out of LSU. Mathieu has always been an excellent football player, but his adjustment -- mentally -- to the National Football League has been nothing short of stunning.
The most difficult aspect of making the transition from college to the NFL is found between the ears. The game is so much more complicated, complex and volatile; schemes are multifaceted and evolving.

And Tyrann Mathieu has learned three different positions for three personnel packages! He has played corner, nickel corner and safety in base, nickel and dime personnel packages. He knows it and is making plays.

For a former player like myself, understanding how complex the game is at this level, I could not be any more impressed.

But I'm not the only one impressed.

One scout told me that Tyrann Mathieu was, "pound-for-pound, the best player on the field." And while conversing with an offensive assistant coach he told me that he believed, "No. 32 was going to change the team."

Spades

Very interesting article by Omar on why we shouldn't be worried with Martin at LT.

Many even say he struggled during his first-quarter snaps in Sunday night's 24-20 loss. But the truth of the matter is Martin ACTUALLY played well in his 10 snaps, and I've got proof.

Here is a breakdown of every play Martin had against the Cowboys, and at the end of that breakdown I've provided a grade on a scale of 1-5.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...ckle-jonathan-martin-20130806,0,5223514.story

For those who don't know, Omar Kelly is one of the most critical reporters when it comes to the Dolphins. He's very much glass empty, so reading things like this is encouraging.

eznark

Banned

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Also his last sentence was really dumb. If Martin doesn't improve then he gets his franchise quarterback killed.

The way the Dolphins OL was playing the other day Tannehill isn't going to make it 4 weeks before he gets seriously injured.

Spades

Also his last sentence was really dumb. If Martin doesn't improve then he gets his franchise quarterback killed.

No, he's basically telling fans (who believe Tannehill will make a big improvement in 2013) to give Martin the same patience that was given to Tannehill last year and over the offseason.

The way the Dolphins OL was playing the other day Tannehill isn't going to make it 4 weeks before he gets seriously injured.

Luckily that OL that played on Sunday isn't out starting OL.

Spades

Yeah, half the time he does his job. The other half he flat doesn't. That's not good for an offensive linemen, particularly a left tackle.

No, but you're missing my point.

The point is that he's not as terrible as people have been thinking. Does he have to work on things? Yes. But we're a few weeks into camp and there is plenty of time to sort this out.

All of our eggs are in the Martin basket and so I have no doubt that he can be coached to do the job well. Otherwise I can't help but think we would've signed some better insurance than Dallas Thomas.

eznark

Banned
No, but you're missing my point.

The point is that he's not as terrible as people have been thinking. Does he have to work on things? Yes. But we're a few weeks into camp and there is plenty of time to sort this out.

All of our eggs are in the Martin basket and so I have no doubt that he can be coached to do the job well. Otherwise I can't help but think we would've signed some better insurance than Dallas Thomas.

Based on that article he is far worse (at this moment) than I had anticipated, personally.

Matugi

Why am I so bad at TLoU? I'm still stuck at the beginning
the part where you need to break out of the capital after Tess dies
and i keep dying because i keep engaging the guards. is there a way to get past this part without shootin hella mofos?

squicken

Why the Ravens will Struggle w/o Pitta

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/08/06/the-post-pitta-problem-its-a-big-one/

So what was Cameron’s problem? His offense didn’t use all the threats in unison, or to their full potential. The Ravens had the pieces to attack all three levels to the defense—Rice, Pierce and fullback Vonta Leach in the short field; Boldin and Pitta in the middle; and Smith and Jones deep—but synergy never materialized because Cameron failed to use Boldin and Pitta in the best way possible.

The first picture shows routes run by Boldin (blue lines) and Pitta (black lines) in two games before Cameron got fired: Week 11 at the Steelers and Week 12 at the Chargers for Boldin; Week 7 at Houston and Week 12 for Pitta

Now, let’s look at the routes Boldin and Pitta ran in the AFC Championship Game against the Patriots, and in the Super Bowl against the 49ers once Caldwell was firmly entrenched as the coordinator.

bedard-pitta-three-anvmko4.jpg

Look at all the in-breaking routes (especially deeper down the middle of the field) the Ravens used under Caldwell compared to Cameron. Even if the passes weren’t completed, these routes were complementary to the other offensive weapons. Threatening the mid- to deep-level of the field between the hashes with Boldin and Pitta put pressure on a defense. It made safeties stay closer to home, which opened up the outside for Smith and Jones, and/or it caused the linebackers to drop a little deeper, which helped give Rice, Pierce and Leach a little more room to make a play once they caught the ball. Under Caldwell, the Ravens used all of their weapons in unison, and it was a beautiful thing to watch.

One of the Ravens’ favorite ways to spring a big play last season was to put a safety in a bind by crossing Boldin and/or Pitta underneath him, while sending send Smith or Jones over the top. It’s a simple concept that all teams use, but the Ravens had all the pieces to make it work. If the safety chooses to cover the underneath route, the deep receiver should be one-on-one and looking for the end zone. If the safety stays deep to protect against the big play, Flacco should have an easy throw to the underneath crossing route.

The Ravens need two pass catchers who are capable of living in the middle of the field—the unforgiving ground that’s not for thinly built speedsters or for the faint of heart. It requires a rare breed who has the guts, the strength and the right feel for the game to excel in an area where defenders are looking to lay bodies out on the ground, or to jump short routes and turn them into a pick-six. That’s what made Boldin and Pitta so special last season, and what elevated the Ravens’ offense to a championship level.

It was one thing to part ways with Boldin. Losing Pitta just might put the Ravens back where they were under Cameron—a donut with good stuff on the outside, but nothing in the middle. Filling that hole was the secret ingredient that gave Baltimore its second world championship last season.

mr2xxx

Banned
Redskins

QB: Prayers were answered as Black Jesus graced Skins fans with his presence. More commonly known as RG3, Griffin turned in a great season racking up RoTY and Pro Bowl honors ontop of leading the bottom dwellers of the NFC East to a division title. RG3 will not play in the preseason but it is more of precaution, don't worry though Griffin has made a quick recovery from tearing ligaments in his knee in the playoffs and is on track to start the season.

Kirk Cousins was drafted last year as insurance to Griffiin in a controversial yet brilliant move. Not only did he rise to the occasion late season by coming in cold in the 4th quarter to lead the Redskins to an amazing come from behind victory against the Ravens. The next week he beat the lowly Browns in another crucial victory. We should be seeing plenty Captain Kirk this preseason as he elevates himself from great back up to potential starter for some other team.

The battle of third string will be Sexy Rexy vs. Pat White. In other years, these talented players would be fighting for a starting job. Luckily that isn't the case anymore.

RB: Alfred Morris went from unheard of late round rookie to starter in week 1. He scorched the league to a tune of 1613 yards, second best in the league. His position as lead back is secured. After Morris the RB position gets murky. There are four players competing, third year vets Roy Helu and Evan Royster against rookies Chris Thompson and Jawan Jamison. A healthy Roy Helu looks like has the edge so far against the other three with a strong training camp that has showcased his speed, receiving ability and improved pass blocking. Thompson another speed back is still having lingering health issues. Not much has been written on Jamison and Royster this training camp.

WR: Last year Garcon proved he can be a top receiver, can he prove to be healthy? Leonard Hankerson is on his third year and has been steadily improved, can he show that he can take that next step and be a threat? Moss and Morgan are solid but there are no expectations of them becoming something more than what we have already seen. Aldrick Robinson has been the camp star. He has been beating defenders and getting TDs and has been praised by Redskins beat reporters.. The speedster has improved his route running and pass catching and can go from a situational deep threat to having a more prominent role in the offense.

TE: Fred Davis has regained most of his pre-injury form from camp reports. Look for Davis to be the starter once again. Rookie Jordan Reed who has been compared to Aaron Hernandez, on field play not off field issues. Reed has shown his talent as a receiver but need needs to improve his pass blocking.

OL: Pretty much the same as last year. Trent is still a beast at LT but has a wrist injury and Polumbus is still a horrible RT. Jeremy Trueblood and Tony Pashos were brought in to compete with Polumbus but not much should be expected from either of them.

DL: Bowen and Cofield are still the starters at NT and DE. While the other DE spot is up for grabs as starter Adam Carriker is out indefinitely with his recent surgery, the back up Jarvis Jenkins is suspended for the first four PED use. Watch Chris Baker, Kedric Gholston, and Philip Merling fight for the open DE job. None of them have really stood out so far.

LB: Brian Orakpo make his return after another pec tear from early last season and put the fear into NFC East QBs. With a new Bane looking helmet and the skill set to be a top pass rusher he should be watched. Orakpo's partner in crime, Ryan Kerrigen, should have more favorable match ups and have his best season yet.

Be on the look out for Brandon Jenkins, FSU's best pass rusher which included 2nd rd'er Tank Carridine and 1st Rd'er Bjoern Werner. An injury derailed his final year causing him to drop in the draft but he has been a man possessed in training camp by racking up sacks and putting pressure on QBs. Rumors are that Haz is busy coming up with packages to use him with Rak and Kerrigan.

Our inside LBs remain the same as last year with Fletcher and Riley starting. Backup Kennan Robinson loses another year due to injury. Redskins then brought in veteran Nick Barnett who left Buffalo with over a 100 tackles last season.

Secondary: Terrible, horrendous, pathetic, unwatchable, could easily describe the 2012 Redskins secondary. The Redskins rectified the issue somewhat by drafting CB David Amerson in the second, SS Phillip Thomas the third, and Georgia FS Baccarri Rambo in the 6th. They also acquired CB E.J Biggers in FA. Carryovers from last year, Hall and WIlson are the tentative starters but they have their work cut out for them this year.

David Amerson has been playing with the ones due to Wilson and Hall injuries. Reports have been positive and he is holding his own against Garcon and co by using his size and athletic ability. Biggers was one of the few bright spots in the TB secondary as a slot CB and looks to lock that position up. Richard Crawford was a unexpected surprise last year at CB and as a punt returner and looks to improve last year. Not much, good or bad has been said of him in training camp so far.

The wild card is Chase Minnifield, a early round talent that dropped in the draft due to microfracture surgery on his right knee. Last year Minnifield went undrafted before being picked up by the Skins, he was having a great training camp but tore his ACL in the same knee. Minnifield is back and having another good off-season with his physical play. He has the talent but needs to be much better than the other back ups to be make the roster due to his injury history.

At the SS position it is Brandon Meriweathers position as long as he recovers from his ACL replacement. Meriweather played for one half last year but boy oh boy was it a HoF worthy half as he racked up tackles, deflected passes and got an interception. Brandon just started practicing so watch out to see if he has healed. Current backup is Reed Doughty and well, he is is Reed Doughty, solid player but lacks the athleticism to be anything more than a back up. Rookie Phillip Thomas has flashed and made plenty of mistakes, typical rookie but past couple days he has been more consistent and has been making plays.

Bacarri Rambo has been the starting FS throughout camp despite being a 6th rd. rookie. The ball hawk from Georgia has not had many issues transitioning to the NFL. He is not making many mistakes and is rarely getting beat so far. He has great instincts and makes plays. A vast improvement over last years Madieu Williams. At back up there is not much to speak of, Tanard Jackson, remember him? Probably not but the still suspended Redskin safety, who missed last year due to drug issues still has a shot against Dejon Gomes and Jordan Pugh, which isn't saying much.

LevelNth

Banned
My OT thread isn't getting any responses so I'll post this here too in case any of you can help me:

Ok, so I'm getting a buzzing sound in my speaker when at higher volumes, and I simply don't have the knowledge to understand why/how to fix it, please help!

Here is my set up: I have an Apple TV that I have connected an optical cable from to my Bose SoundDock Series II speaker. However, since the AUX input on that is analog, I also purchased a TOSLINK converter from Monoprice, and then have a regular red and white audio cable hooked into my Bose.

However when I turn the volume up to any respectable level, there is an annoying buzzing sound, and I don't know what to do! My first thought is that my analog red and white cable is too old, and I should replace it.

Also, in case this matters, I have both the Bose speaker and the TOSLINK converter plugged into the same outlet, which also has been split with one of those outlet splitters that turns 2 plugs into 6. It's not exactly super high quality. Could that also be an issue?

Any help would be awesome, thanks GAF.

My OT thread isn't getting any responses so I'll post this here too in case any of you can help me:

Yeah probably just from trying to convert the analog to digital and then back to analog? If I read that right, I dunno. Best bet would be just going straight analog, won't be as high quality as optical, but would probably get rid of the interference and buzzing sound.

Could also be shitty wires like you said. The outlet could also be causing the interference if its shitty quality too. Only thing you can do is keep tinkering with it until you fix it or give up.

Top Bottom