• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Preseason/Training Camp thread - Doritos Locos

ChanHuk

Banned
Chilis > La Carreta > Red Lobster > Applebees > I forget the rest

gol15.jpg

That's a delicious list but Taco Bell hits all my fat cravings

jakncoke

Banned
Incorrect. Texas Road House > Grizzlies > everyone else > Red Lobster

Grizzlies?

:eek:
Texas Egg Rolls
Made from scratch, crispy egg rolls stuffed with pulled pork, cabbage, carrots, and a touch of BBQ sauce. Served with our tangy mustard sauce.

Grizzlies?

:eek:
Texas Egg Rolls
Made from scratch, crispy egg rolls stuffed with pulled pork, cabbage, carrots, and a touch of BBQ sauce. Served with our tangy mustard sauce.
We have some roadhouses out here in California. I went to one out in Texas 100 times better.

I've been lax because it's been a shit offseason but now there's news so here we go.

LB coach Keith Butler has been riding Woodley's ass more than usual this season:

Steelers LB coach Keith Butler says LaMarr Woodley was playing at 295-300 lbs last couple years. Butler says that's down significantly now

Butler says Woodley knows the waiver wire is filled with high dollar guys who got cut bc they weren't living up to the paycheck.

Asked Butler if it was a "prove it year" for Woodley. "It's a prove it year for everybody in that room."

Pretty straight and honest. Dude's been fat the past couple of years. Guy has talent to have high teens sack seasons yearly. He's down to 270 which is close to his draft weight of 266.

Holy shit about the Vince Young thing. I was a HUGE fan of his in college. But, uh, he's bad mojo in the NFL. I fear a little for my Packers now.

The Packers will be unlucky? That could never happen!

There must be some algorithm in sportswriting where they look at a player's # of years in the league and they automatically insert "veteran" and "experienced" in their articles. Umm, those two words aren't the first that come to mind with VY.

There must be some algorithm in sportswriting where they look at a player's # of years in the league and they automatically insert "veteran" and "experienced" in their articles. Umm, those two words aren't the first that come to mind with VY.
"Winner." "Champion."

?

He's experienced at handing the ball off, and just winning football games. What more does a QB need?
YYvCJ.gif

I've been lax because it's been a shit offseason but now there's news so here we go.

LB coach Keith Butler has been riding Woodley's ass more than usual this season:

Pretty straight and honest. Dude's been fat the past couple of years. Guy has talent to have high teens sack seasons yearly. He's down to 270 which is close to his draft weight of 266.

Butler should do well for if and when he finally takes over for Lebeau. In other news, what is up with the corners? Hopefully the injuries are all minor or else the move to not keep Lewis will bite them in the ass.

Butler should do well for if and when he finally takes over for Lebeau. In other news, what is up with the corners? Hopefully the injuries are all minor or else the move to not keep Lewis will bite them in the ass.

I think Curtis Brown is overmatched, Long body but he's a meathead. Everything i've read indicates that the injury was him trying to make a play and fucking up, again. He's Keenan Lewis 2.0 so far, and that's not good.

Cortez is troubling. Team insists it's nothing though.

Godslay

Banned
2013 Denver Broncos

What to watch for…

In the year of our Lord 2013, let us all take a moment to bless our hallowed football savior Tim Tebow. As we all know he is on a deep mission into the equivalent of football Mordor, New England. He studied under the tutelage of the last legitimate Back-to-Back Superbowl Champion and ‘Light of the Rockies’ John Elway. Once he had received the necessary training, John knew that he had to move on to a greater challenge in order to build the necessary skills to travel into New England.

John sent Tebow to New Jersey, to learn all the intricacies of both Sanchez’s strategies in his victories over the Patriots, as well as following in the ‘foot’ steps of Ryan. Watching from the sideline, taking notes on his trusted clipboard, he learned the soul crushing power of the butt-fumble, the passion of Fireman Ed, as well as the rapid-fire anime gif power of Fox318. Tim continued to train. His days were spent like the montages of Rocky, lifting logs in Siberia in waist deep snow, running up stairs of capitol buildings Tebowing in front of statues, flipping tractor tires in Gata’s backyard in a Jaguars jersey.

The media reported that Tebow might have seen his last days in the NFL. Little did they know that a trap was being laid. Brandon Lloyd was first sent to the Rams as a decoy, and then went to New England. This was by design, in order to not create suspicion. Daniel Fells in the meantime snuck into New England under the glare of Lloyd signing. Lloyd with his charm convinced McDaniels to reach out and get Tebow again. Behind the scenes Daniel Fells (TE), was laying the traps for both Gronk and Hernandez. Fells took Gronk out to clubs and made it rain. Hernandez was already evil, so all it took was a ripped bootleg Tupac DVD to bring out the thug in him. This cleared the way for Tebow to come in and do God’s work. It’s going to be a tough battle this year; Tebow has to defeat Tammy, McD, as well as Belichick. If the past is any indication, Tebow has to up his goob rating and remain a virgin. If he can, he might just return the NFL into the golden age, and destroy the illegitimate rings.

You may ask yourself: What does this have to do with the 2013 Denver Broncos?

Wes Welker was part of this plan. He has teamed up with The Sheriff to help defeat the Patriots from the outside. This weakened Brady, and will likely allow Tebow to strike at that chink in the armor. He has teamed up with Demariyus Thomas, Eric Decker, Julius Thomas, Ronnie Hillman, and Montee Ball to form the NFL equivalent of the Knights of the Round summon.

The offensive line has improved it’s protection ability, stealing the best lineman from the San Diego in Vasquez, and bringing back Clady to protect the Sheriff’s neck from the whatever minions are itching to get his blindside. It appears to be a solid war party assuming the men do not fall to injury.

On the defensive side, Von Miller might be suspended. Personally, I think there is more to it than initially appears, but we can only wait for the truth to free Von. The whole thing reeks of evil and darkness combining forces to hold him down. It’s odd that Dumervil left, and all of a sudden Von is suspended? Shit reeks, worse than a fresh hot BLarry. Combine that with the fact that if you rearrange the letters in Dumervil and you end up with:

R U Devil? I M <- Makes sense now?

Champ is back looking good, DRC is hurt but will be a starter, Harris is a stud, and Raheem Moore is playing well. There are questions as to who will be our SS but Duke Ihenacho has stepped up and looks to join the war party. Wolfe, Phillips, Big Vick, Knighton, and Ayers all have banded together to form the first line in protecting the work the Sheriff looks to accomplish.

We talk about football like nothing hangs in the balance. Yet, there is a strange wind blowing, and darkness continues to strangle the land. Despite all the doubters saying that Peyton will choke, John, Tebow, and Peyton all look to accomplish one task: Bring the Superbowl back to the closest football city to Heaven, Denver, and in the process bring defeat the darkness. Nobody is certain what will happen, but we all will watch history being made.

effzee

What to watch for Eagles edition:

Coaching: Chip Kelly is the new coach. How will he make the transition from college to the pros. What type of offense will he run. We still have way more questions then answers about him.

Offense:

QB battle: Barkely, Foles, and Vick are fighting for the QB spot. Foles and Vick has split reps with Barkley getting a lot less. Foles looked like the clear winner the first 2 days of camp but he has seen his play go south while Vick has gotten better each day. I think when it is all over Vick will be the starter but a lot is going to depend on how the preseason games go.

WR: Cooper out for who knows how long for being a racist jerk and Maclin hurt leaves the WR position very thin. Johnson and Salas have both looked really good in camp. Benn has been hurt and none of the other guys has really stepped up yet.

OL: 4 starters missed most of the season last year. All are healthy this year. #4 Lance Johnson has impressed in camp so far. This should be a position of strength this year.

Defense:

The switch to a 3-4 will be a big change for what has been one of the worst defenses in football the last 2 years. Cole and Graham are both moving to LB. Until we see the D in games it is really hard to say anything about them. The Eagles signed 7 FA's help improve the D this year.

Overall expect another down year while Chip tries to see who fits his system and who doesnt.

Good write up but I will add the following:

Coaching: Chip claims he won't be stubborn and just force the offense he ran in Oregon with the Eagles because he doesn't have the exact same personnel. Everything he has said so far points to him trying to figure out first who his best players are and then 2ndly which offensive or defensive scheme best fits those players.

For example he wants to run a 3-4 defense but they don't have the personnel to run a pure 3-4, so he says he will run some sort of hybrid. Won't force DEs who never played LB to drop back in coverage if they can't do it.

Offense

Regardless of who wins the QB job, the Eagles should be a run heavy team, especially now with Maclin gone. They have at least 2 pretty good RBs in McCoy and Brown and now with Reid gone they will finally carry the ball up to 30 times a game. In fact much of the offense Chip ran in Oregon was predicated on setting up the run which then set up the zone option game for the QB.

If Vick doesn't win the starting job, he will be cut. Barkley will move up to #2 and for now at least Foles will be handed the franchise to prove himself. Personally I would like to see Vick run some of Chip's offense from Oregon but I have to trust him and the QB competition. May the best man win.

While the inclusion of an actual running game and a smart coach who won't force his ideas should improve the overall offense, the biggest factor in improving the offense will be the health and development of the OLINE.

Last year the Eagles lost practically all their starters across the line and then even some of the back ups. Mix that with Vick's fragility and habit of holding on to the ball plus Reid's refusal to run the ball and as a result the OLINE was a nightmare.

Thankfully Jason Peters is back 100% and should hopefully regain form as the premiere LT in the game. #3 overall pick Lane Johnson has actually looked impressive at LT in practice but barring any setbacks to Peters, Johnson will begin his Eagles career at RT. And that might be an even more important position if Vick wins the starting job since he is left handed and the right side will be his blind side.

The main area the offense has to improve in is scoring particularly in the redzone. For all their turnovers and problems, the Eagles were actually very efficient moving the ball between the 20s. It was once they got to the redzone or goaline even that they struggled. Predictable play calling, turnovers, OLINE problems, and no RUN game doomed them to 3 or 0 points virtually every trip. Even with Vick back at QB, the redzone offense will be the true test for marked improvement.

Defense

This is the area where I actually see the Eagles struggling far more. The problems with the D and what Reid did post the late great DC Jim Johnson are well documented. Chose a scheme before ever picking a DC, then chose his OLINE coach to run the D. Castillo struggled mightily as everyone expected and then last year we found the DLINE coach, whose WIDE 9 scheme was being run, not only undermined Castillo as DC, he created a hostile environment amongst coaches and players. Add monumental bust Nnamdi and by the end of the Reid era it was no shock the D was so atrocious the past 2 years. In fact it was historically bad.

So it can only improve right? Well yes but not sure how much. I trust Chip for now but his biggest head scratching move was naming Bill Davis as DC. Unlike Castillo at least he has coached D before. In fact he has been a defensive coach his whole career and even had two previous stints as DC. But he hasn't been very good wherever he has been. His defenses in SF and Arizona were ranked at the bottom. Supposedly he is a good teacher, especially at the LB position, which should come in handy since that is our biggest weakness. Still leaves a lot to desire for and makes me wonder how much better the D can get this year.

One improvement will def be attitude. Over the years Reid had accumulated guys whose only skill set was speed. He always wanted fast guys. Didn't matter if they weren't tough, undersized, or shied away from contact. Well with Chip and the new personnel department, they def made a note to go for bigger tougher players. They might not be the fastest but they don't mind getting dirty and laying the hit.

Last year our secondary consisted of guys constantly out of position, running away from the hit, and missing tackle after tackle. I don't think we will be a great pass D, but these guys will at least get their guy down to the ground. If S Kenny Philips can come back healthy he could be a huge steal on a year deal.

Special Teams

Not much to read into this other than a new coaching staff will hopefully improve a disappointing group from last year. Having Desean Jackson back returning punts should help. Though I wonder now with Maclin out how much they put him there.

Overall

Its a transition year. On the one hand there will be growing pains especially with a first time head coach. On the other hand there is some great talent at RB and OLINE. The offense might have a chance to be great if guys remain healthy and Chip is innovative. Still the transition to a whole new scheme on D plus the lack of talent and depth on that side of the ball will hold the team back. Blind fan in me says they can somehow make a push for a wildcard but realistically I predict:

6-10

Improved from last year but still a lot of work to do. Playoff bound in 2014-15.

Godslay

Banned
Elway's Will be done, in Denver, as it is in Heaven.
For Elway's is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever.

AMEN

Yes.

@Gata, sorry it was just too easy. I didn't think you would fall for it though. Especially since you had to type it out. I know you're a good sport though.

Top Bottom