• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Preseason/Training Camp thread - Doritos Locos

LevelNth

Banned
Yeah probably just from trying to convert the analog to digital and then back to analog? If I read that right, I dunno. Best bet would be just going straight analog, won't be as high quality as optical, but would probably get rid of the interference and buzzing sound.

Could also be shitty wires like you said. The outlet could also be causing the interference if its shitty quality too. Only thing you can do is keep tinkering with it until you fix it or give up.
No it's just digital to analog, the Apple TV is digital itself, so I have to use the converter.

I'll try changing the outlet tonight, then a new analog cable if that doesn't help. I imagine it's not likely to be the optical cable right, since it's digital?

Your speakers are blown. Can't be fixed.
Really? How come it doesn't make the buzzing sound when I plug in my iPod and play from that? What the heck have I done?

Bread

Banned
No, but you're missing my point.

The point is that he's not as terrible as people have been thinking. Does he have to work on things? Yes. But we're a few weeks into camp and there is plenty of time to sort this out.

All of our eggs are in the Martin basket and so I have no doubt that he can be coached to do the job well. Otherwise I can't help but think we would've signed some better insurance than Dallas Thomas.
lol damn man are you on the dolphins payroll? give it up, martin sucks.

No it's just digital to analog, the Apple TV is digital itself, so I have to use the converter.

I'll try changing the outlet tonight, then a new analog cable if that doesn't help. I imagine it's not likely to be the optical cable right, since it's digital?

Really? How come it doesn't make the buzzing sound when I plug in my iPod and play from that? What the heck have I done?

Is the buzzing constant? Are you cranking up the volume on your ipod too?

Your speakers are blown when at high volume you hear noise that sounds like vibration/buzzing.

To be fair it could also be distortion from the transition from digital to analog.

MechDX

My bet would be the converter box. Any way you can run it without the box and see if that is it?

gutshot

Overall

Its a transition year. On the one hand there will be growing pains especially with a first time head coach. On the other hand there is some great talent at RB and OLINE. The offense might have a chance to be great if guys remain healthy and Chip is innovative. Still the transition to a whole new scheme on D plus the lack of talent and depth on that side of the ball will hold the team back. Blind fan in me says they can somehow make a push for a wildcard but realistically I predict:

6-10

Improved from last year but still a lot of work to do. Playoff bound in 2014-15.

I'm not as down on them overall as you are. I think the offense will be dynamic and the defense will be improved enough to get to 8-9 wins and at least be in the hunt for a wild card spot.

To add to yankeehater and effzee's Eagles preview, here are some under-the-radar players to watch (fantasy fans take note, as these are some potential deep sleepers):

1. Zach Ertz, TE - Chip Kelly loves him some tight ends and Ertz might be the best one on the Eagles roster. He's certainly the best pure receiver out of the group. Optimum Scouting thinks he may end up being Jeremy Maclin's primary replacement, as he has been filling the X-receiver spot quite a bit in camp since Maclin went down.

2. Chris Polk, RB - LeSean McCoy and Bryce Brown are entrenched as the nos. 1 and 2 RBs, and for good reason. But keep an eye on Polk. He came into camp slimmed down compared to his rookie season and, by all accounts, has looked like a totally different player. Kelly is going to run the ball a LOT. I wouldn't be surprised to see Polk get some of those carries. And if Shady gets banged up again or Brown gets benched because he can't hold on to the ball? Polk looks ready to make some noise.

3. Fletcher Cox, DT - Cox had a solid rookie season, accumulating a respectable 5.5 sacks from the DT spot. But that was in the Wide-9 scheme which hampered the DTs with 2-gap responsibility and left them facing center/guard double-teams often. In the new 4-3 'under' that Billy Davis will likely install, Cox will be set loose as the weak side 3-technique tackle, where he will be able to get after the QB on just about every play. I expect double-digit sacks from Cox this year.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
My OT thread isn't getting any responses so I'll post this here too in case any of you can help me:

Apple + Bose, were you expecting decent sound?

Seriously, you probably have a grounding loop. You can try using insulated wires for a cheaper solution than a proper transformer, but that may or may not help.

Greg

My OT thread isn't getting any responses so I'll post this here too in case any of you can help me:
maybe it's a ground loop issue? the speaker and converter being plugged into the same outlet makes me think it could be

an easy check to see if that's the issue - get one of those 3 prong to 2 prong grounding converters (like this), and plug your speaker into that before you plug it into the outlet. it's not a long-term solution to your problem (not safe for you or the equipment for more than a test), but it's at least a cheap way to eliminate one of possible issues before you start buying all kinds of cables

LevelNth

Banned
Is the buzzing constant? Are you cranking up the volume on your ipod too?

Your speakers are blown when at high volume you hear noise that sounds like vibration/buzzing.

To be fair it could also be distortion from the transition from digital to analog.
When I have the Apple TV plugged into the speaker via the converter, it's constant. With the iPod, even cranked up I don't hear it.

My bet would be the converter box. Any way you can run it without the box and see if that is it?
I really hope it's not that, as I have to convert the Apple TV signal since it's optical only. Is it possible the converter is defective, or it is simply the conversion itself, so there is no point in going through the hassle of returning it for a new one to monoprice?

MechDX

When I have the Apple TV plugged into the speaker via the converter, it's constant. With the iPod, even cranked up I don't hear it.

I really hope it's not that, as I have to convert the Apple TV signal since it's optical only. Is it possible the converter is defective, or it is simply the conversion itself, so there is no point in going through the hassle of returning it for a new one to monoprice?

I had two of those converters from monoprice on an old Kenwood receiver I use to use as my primary. While mine worked the build quality was suspect and it is just a guess I have.

LevelNth

Banned
Apple + Bose, were you expecting decent sound?

Seriously, you probably have a grounding loop. You can try using insulated wires for a cheaper solution than a proper transformer, but that may or may not help.

maybe it's a ground loop issue? the speaker and converter being plugged into the same outlet makes me think it could be

an easy check to see if that's the issue - get one of those 3 prong to 2 prong grounding converters (like this), and plug your speaker into that before you plug it into the outlet. it's not a long-term solution to your problem (not safe for you or the equipment for more than a test), but it's at least a cheap way to eliminate one of possible issues before you start buying all kinds of cables
I could potentially plug them into two separate outlets, would that eliminate the loop you guys are referring to?

RBH

Mayor Kasim Reed is expected to announce movement in the $1 billion Falcons stadium deal Tuesday.

While the mayor’s office is mum on the nature of the news, long-time District 10 Councilman C.T. Martin said he believes city officials will announce a deal has been struck with Friendship Baptist Church, one of two churches key to the stadium being built on the “south site” location.

Martin also speculated stadium backers are working to identify “private” dollars to secure Mt. Vernon Baptist Church, which sits on property essential to the south site. The Georgia World Congress Center Authority announced last week that it walked away from negotiations with Mt. Vernon after the church rejected a $6.2 million offer. Without Mt. Vernon, the stadium is likely to be built on the “north site” location by Ivan Allen Jr. Blvd.

The mayor is expected to speak at City Hall Tuesday morning.
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/mayor-to-announce-stadium-news-tuesday-councilman-/nZF3D/

ku-bigpic.jpg

Screen_Shot_2013-06-18_at_3.07.09_PM.png

ku-xlarge.jpg

Screen_Shot_2013-06-18_at_3.02.35_PM.png

gutshot

Riley Cooper back at Eagles practice today and it's a joint practice with the Patriots. Here is a leaked photo of Tebow and Cooper:

Fletch2_scene06.jpg

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Origami arena!

I could potentially plug them into two separate outlets, would that eliminate the loop you guys are referring to?

All of your outlets will be using the same ground, most likely, so it probably won't help. Best bet is to spend $3 at Radio Shack on one of those ground lifters that Greg linked to and report back.

eznark

Banned
Now Cobb had to leave the field with a possible injury. Sweet!

Icing his shoulder, not leaving the field. No biggie.

Supposedly people are head over heels for Bakhtiari. While I'm thrilled, it means Barclay is the odd man out probably and he is far and away the best hole opener for the running game.

RBH

Who is paying for it?

Mayor Kasim Reed said the city would provide $200 million of construction costs through bonds backed by the city's hotel-motel tax. The Falcons franchise, owned by Home Depot co-founder Blank, would provide $800 million and be responsible for construction cost overruns.

The Falcons would pay for up to $50 million in infrastructure costs not included in the construction budget and help retire the last few years of debt on the Georgia Dome, which was publicly financed entirely using the hotel-motel tax.

Also, Blank's private foundation and the city each would spend $15 million on surrounding neighborhood development.

NFL owners have also approved a $200 million loan for the construction of a new multi-purpose building in Atlanta to become the home for the Falcons.

Really Good OP. Starting to get really excited for football again. Last season was obviously really tough to deal with all offseason, but you can't help but feel the 49ers are poised to go just as far, even with all the injuries. Can't wait to see how kaep develops as a passing QB

Ah, gotcha. I just did a quick google search and quite a few responses came up in the Apple support forums, some people had luck turning the dolby digital output off in the settings menu on the apple tv, or also setting it to never sleep because the apple tv sends out some type of weird silence signal when it goes to sleep.

Someone else just used the hdmi cable and grabbed the analog output from his TV that way, bypassing the need for a converter box and that eliminated the static.

https://www.google.com/search?q=app...scussions.apple.com&safe=off&biw=1247&bih=577

Mike Adams will be the Left tackle for the first preseason game against the Giants.

Chuck...where's that writeup at? I can do it if you're busy.

brentech

Supposedly people are head over heels for Bakhtiari. While I'm thrilled, it means Barclay is the odd man out probably and he is far and away the best hole opener for the running game.

Yeah, I was hoping to keep Barclay on the right. He really jump started Harris and held up in the pass in the limited time he was on the field.

But I haven't actually seen Bakhtiari yet, so if he gets the spot, I'll withhold judgement.

A nice article on why the Packers may not be doomed without Bulaga according to McGinn. Some high praise for new draftee Bakhtiari

Bakhtiari jumped in against Clay Matthews the first morning of pads and stymied him in the one-on-one rush drill as if it was no big deal. He has gone 2-0 against Matthews and 9-2-3 overall, including 5-0-1 at left tackle and 4-2-2 at right.
He kick-steps beautifully regardless of side, appears to possess an excellent feel for blocking angles, has quick, active hands and always seems to be under control, even against stunts and blitzes
In the run game, he kept his feet moving and his pads down at the point of attack. On plays away, he was fast to the linebacker level and persistently kept after defenders.

I believe!

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Mike Adams will be the Left tackle for the first preseason game against the Giants.

Chuck...where's that writeup at? I can do it if you're busy.

We can do two, too. I haven't listened to enough podcasts to fully form my thoughts!

There's really only two or three position battles. Adams v Gilbert for LT, Worilds v Jones and 8 guys for WR3. Looks like Bell has starting RB locked up already. Team is thin after the starters. Add in the transition to zone blocking, and those are my highlights.

RBH

chuckddddddddddd,

Any estimate on when we'll set up the draft and fill out the rest of the league?

ChanHuk

Banned
Fuck the Gata.

Working two jobs needs getting used to, I scheduled myself back to back again. Pray for me NFL-GAF, three people have already died on me this week. Sadly none of them were snesfreak.

Hunter S.

So new research say Colorado is the 2nd happiest state. No wonder Von Miller has such a good time here.

On another note, if Orlando Franklyn gets injured this trading camp will have trashed the offensive line. Not cool.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
chuckddddddddddd,

Any estimate on when we'll set up the draft and fill out the rest of the league?

The draft will be the dead weekend before the regular season. We're missing Wes, Zeke and, I think, WanderingWind(?). I didn't note who Buffalo WhyGodWhy was...

Also, there won't be anymore reminders for the Straggler's league. I will open the remaining slots to anyone who wants them if the original owners don't step up in the next two weeks.

Bowser

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 4m
Packers coach Mike McCarthy tells reporters Bulaga is hoping to play thru torn ACL. Team believed his season was over. But... Mankins did it

lol yes, let's have a dude try to play 16 games of football on a torn ACL.

LevelNth

Banned
Ah, gotcha. I just did a quick google search and quite a few responses came up in the Apple support forums, some people had luck turning the dolby digital output off in the settings menu on the apple tv, or also setting it to never sleep because the apple tv sends out some type of weird silence signal when it goes to sleep.

Someone else just used the hdmi cable and grabbed the analog output from his TV that way, bypassing the need for a converter box and that eliminated the static.

https://www.google.com/search?q=app...scussions.apple.com&safe=off&biw=1247&bih=577
Oh that's really helpful, thanks. I'll try that when I get home. Hopefully I can fix this.

Jordy Nelson out the rest of camp after a knee procedure:

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter 6m

Packers HC Mike McCarthy announced Jordy Nelson is out for the rest of training camp after undergoing procedure.

----------------------------------------

He'll be lining up opposite Kiwi, then who's starting in place of JPP.

Speaking of JPP. Jerry Reese expects JPP will be ready for the week 1 opener against Dallas.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/sto...iants-expects-jason-pierre-paul-return-week-1

Bowser

Wait really? Holy fuck.

Need to update the Jared Allen Memorial Plate NFL-GAF Fan list soon. Although if you're a regular of NFL-GAF you should know that RBH is a
filthy, disgusting, bottom-feeding, trashbag
Falcons fan.

Speaking of JPP. Jerry Reese expects JPP will be ready for the week 1 opener against Dallas.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/sto...iants-expects-jason-pierre-paul-return-week-1

News to JPP:

Conor Orr ‏@ConorTOrr 51m
Pierre-Paul not committing to Reese's Week 1 proclamation here. Keeps emphasizing IF he comes back for Dallas. #nyg

bionic77

Fuck the Gata.

Working two jobs needs getting used to, I scheduled myself back to back again. Pray for me NFL-GAF, three people have already died on me this week. Sadly none of them were snesfreak.
I always assume that people who work 2-3 jobs are rich but then I always feel sad for them when they aren't.

News to JPP:
Final decision is his as to when he makes it back. He says he'll be back when he "feels comfortable". That's all well and good but when the man that signs your paycheck has an expectation.....

Frankly, I'd prefer he not be rushed back. Back issues can linger and we have the depth to cover him if he misses a game or two to start the season. (which he seems to agree with)

Patricia Traina @Patricia_Traina 50m

JPP said the decision on when he'll be back lies with him.

Patricia Traina @Patricia_Traina 50m

He said right now he doesn't think he's needed out there given the depth.

Chris Snee and Terrell Thomas are off of PUP and will practice for the first time in camp, today. Hakeem Nicks will also be back in practice after being out the past week with a groin injury.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/mayor-to-announce-stadium-news-tuesday-councilman-/nZF3D/

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18r88xsg38sirjpg/ku-bigpic.jpg[img]

[img]http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2807117/Screen_Shot_2013-06-18_at_3.07.09_PM.png[img]

[img]http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18r8ccs1gq6vnjpg/ku-xlarge.jpg/img]

[img]http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2807081/Screen_Shot_2013-06-18_at_3.02.35_PM.png/img][/QUOTE]
wow, looks like a bigger version of the Houston Dynamo soccer teams stadium.

glad they aren't making tax payers pay for it.

MechDX

wow, looks like a bigger version of the Houston Dynamo soccer teams stadium.

glad they aren't making tax payers pay for it.

Every time I drive by that stadium I have one thought: giant, silver, metal stadium sitting in the Houston mid day sun. Why would I want to put my ass on it?

Top Bottom