• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Preseason/Training Camp thread - Doritos Locos

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

Lack of offseason workouts. Some of it is unavoidable, but some guys won't keep their bodies strong without proper motivation.[/QUOTE]

i would disagree. I think these guys are pushing the limits of the human body, they continue to get bigger and stronger, hgh or no, something has to give. They are very explosive. Hasnt several of the ACL tears this pre-season been non-contact?

brentech

Yet the personal side of it is what makes for amazing television. The locker room stuff, the cuts, the injuries. It's exactly the stuff we're not privy to that interests us. We watch the games every weekend. I can watch players workout and run drills on Giants.com. You remove that element and you might as well wrap the show up because no amount of editing is going to make it interesting.

I'll also disagree that "it's too personal". If anything it humanizes these guys and that, to me has a positive effect on the typical "gridiron gladiator" view that fans tend to have of football players. When you hear a player on your team has a torn ACL, are you concerned for the player or how it will affect the team first? That's a general question and I'm not judging anyone as many of us would answer the latter first but a more human face behind the sport isn't a bad thing. These are people and seeing a guy broken down in tears at the thought is his dream/livelihood slipping away is a pretty salient reminder of that.
Exactly.

Watching it, I was like, I did that same shit to my ankle, but I didn't cry....that's weird, kinda like, well, huh.
Then I was like, never mind, my dreams weren't crushed and I didn't lose a massive (even UDR) pay. He's just sobbing and I realize it has likely nothing to do with physical pain. Dude just had a great opportunity taken from him and you could tell it just crushed him. Hopefully they give him another look next year.

That said, if the player in a situation like that isn't okay with the cameras there, then I think they should leave (not Harrison though, he had no reason to act like a dick). Otherwise, it adds a great dimension to understanding what it's like to be in the environment.

squicken

Exactly.

Watching it, I was like, I did that same shit to my ankle, but I didn't cry....that's weird, kinda like, well, huh.
Then I was like, never mind, my dreams weren't crushed and I didn't lose a massive (even UDR) pay. He's just sobbing and I realize it has likely nothing to do with physical pain. Dude just had a great opportunity taken from him and you could tell it just crushed him. Hopefully they give him another look next year.

That said, if the player in a situation like that isn't okay with the cameras there, then I think they should leave (not Harrison though, he had no reason to act like a dick). Otherwise, it adds a great dimension to understanding what it's like to be in the environment.

I see you guys' point. I guess I already humanize the guys on the bottom of the roster. It's the guys with guaranteed money who I just sort of think of the team first.

And I imagine lots of established players would do exactly what Harrison did. Justin Smith would probably be far worse than that. I certainly would be as prickly as my job security allowed if someone wanted to film me at work

RBH

The guys at Hard Knocks are fucking wizards. That is just awesome TV. James Harrison looks like John Wayne the way they introduce him haha

They really do a fantastic job with the show. They could be filming the fucking Arizona Cardinals and still make it seem like the most interesting shit around.

But I felt so awful for Larry Black. Poor guy.

cashman

Banned
Looks like the Cowboys are signing Guard Brandon Moore. This is good, he can't possibly be worse than Bernadeau

edit: Apparently he was the butt of the buttfumble!

squicken

Looks like the Cowboys are signing Guard Brandon Moore. This is good, he can't possibly be worse than Bernadeau

edit: Apparently he was the butt of the buttfumble!

He's actually a decent guard. No idea why there wasn't much interest. Or maybe there was but his price was too high

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
i would disagree. I think these guys are pushing the limits of the human body, they continue to get bigger and stronger, hgh or no, something has to give. They are very explosive. Hasnt several of the ACL tears this pre-season been non-contact?

Sure. But you don't find it odd that suddenly all these injuries occur when the new cba has begun?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Wait a minute...the WRs for the Madden All-25 team are 2009 Randy Moss and...2004 Brian Finneran?

Sure. But you don't find it odd that suddenly all these injuries occur when the new cba has begun?
Less training camp reps = guys go harder during camp trying to prove themselves = more injuries.

That's my theory, and I think it's just as plausible as everyone slacking during the off season.

KaYotiX

Banned
I know about this, but it seriously seems too good to be true

There's got to be a loophole in there somewhere

Nope, ive looked it over a lot and its true. :)

Main reason im buying the $100 version of Madden. Need to see ALL my Packers games :)

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Finneran was fucking ridiculous on 04.... Especially coupled with Vick. I'm surprised Michael Bennett circa 04 isn't starting rb

95 Deion is in, 93-95 Rice was just as ridiculous. No open receiver? Just throw it to Rice anyway, he'll almost always snag it.

brentech

Nope, ive looked it over a lot and its true. :)

Main reason im buying the $100 version of Madden. Need to see ALL my Packers games :)

Yeah, last year I think there was about 5 I missed. I got lucky that many were broadcast here. Otherwise it's redzone highlights and following a gametracker.
This year, that shouldn't be a problem.

I also picked up GameRewind so I can see some alternate angles and watch any games I really wanted to but missed!
Oh, and I just bought a new notebook to replace my dual core AMD I bought a few years back. It's really not that bad of a system, but having just built a new desktop earlier this year, it just couldn't compare any more. I can't live without SSD now.
I should be able to resell the old one for like 200, give or take a bit. Was a cheapy at 399 when I bought it.

new system has SSD and a decent video card, should be able to play a few games when needed on it,but mostly multimedia football broadcasting machine!

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I'm tempted to jump on that Madden deal as well. $100 seems like a great deal! Hopefully it doesn't include some bullshit like it's a 3 year contract and you only get the first year for free.

Bowser

I'm tempted to jump on that Madden deal as well. $100 seems like a great deal! Hopefully it doesn't include some bullshit like it's a 3 year contract and you only get the first year for free.

It pretty clearly states it's a promo code just for the 2013-14 season IIRC

"There is a unique code in every single anniversary edition, and that code will entitle you to the 17-week full-season trial on PC, tablets and mobile devices,"

squicken

Anyone have an iPad mini? I had a Nexus 7 last year but just couldn't stand reading web pages on that skinny screen. Even sideways sucked bc you lose vertical space. How detrimental is the mini's specs/resolution?

Mollymauk

Anyone have an iPad mini? I had a Nexus 7 last year but just couldn't stand reading web pages on that skinny screen. Even sideways sucked bc you lose vertical space. How detrimental is the mini's specs/resolution?
Not a good time to invest in a mini. Next model coming out this fall is very likely to be retina display.

squicken

Not a good time to invest in a mini. Next model coming out this fall is very likely to be retina display.

Yeah I would never pay full price for one right now. But people will start selling them used and I want one for the season. No point waiting until November to buy something I want to use right now. Just curious how bad that display really is. My dad has an iPad 1 and it's almost like going back in time, but it is much larger

Mollymauk

Yeah I would never pay full price for one right now. But people will start selling them used and I want one for the season. No point waiting until November to buy something I want to use right now. Just curious how bad that display really is. My dad has an iPad 1 and it's almost like going back in time, but it is much larger
I think there's a huge difference between retina and non-retina. It's not quite as noticeable on the smaller screen, but it's still there. But you know it will look considerably worse after the new models come out.

The size factor and power are both good though. Same horsepower as an iPad 2 essentially.

squicken

Yeah it's a tough choice. I also hated the crap speakers on the Nexus 7, but understand they increased the volume on the new ones

Not-sure-if-hes-No-1-but-hes-almost-certainly-top-10-Getty-Images.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kCsCpJb.gif
NFL offseason is my fave. There isn't really isn't any teams/fanbase I dislike (except for rivals, and even that isn't too bad) and I love watching the fans passionate for their teams. Cincy really deserves the success they're having now. If they only could find a #2 WR...

Milchjon

Sure. We brought someone back from the dead twice tonight because the family doesn't want him dead. He's pretty much brain dead at this point.

I always wonder whether you're fucked up because of your job, you like your job because you're fucked up, or you just pretend to be a hardass to deal with that job.

As Cajun would say:

*hugs Chan*

Good morning! I need a coffee.

Had 2 already. Plus a Sausage&Egg McMuffin, which I still think is the best fast food item available from the big chains in Germany. (KFC excluded because fried chicken>*).

ChanHuk

Banned
German, have you ever been around healthcare workers? We pretty much have no emotions.

There's no reason for a 90 year old man should be full code, I had that dilemma with my family and my grandfather. He was brain dead yet we kept him alive for 2 days until there was a committee of doctors tell us that he's brain dead. People just don't want to let go even though they know better.

andthebeatgoeson

German, have you ever been around healthcare workers? We pretty much have no emotions.

There's no reason for a 90 year old man should be full code, I had that dilemma with my family and my grandfather. He was brain dead yet we kept him alive for 2 days until there was a committee of doctors tell us that he's brain dead. People just don't want to let go even though they know better.
They always feel guilty. It's hard you explain but people will be in tears months or years from now thinking they killed grandpa. Just try and think of it that way. All this stuff now means you can just 'blame'the doctors or something. If someone would have pulled the plug yesterday, you guys would have had a huge fight at the family reunion in 5 years when an uncle gets drunk and blames somebody for killing his dad. Lots of weeping and gnashing of teeth. Yeah, it wastes money waiting for people to travel but our culture is wired weird with this stuff. Keep yo head up.

BTW, I'm getting that Madden offer. Cot damn. Every year, plz.

I'm depressed: all 4 of my teams are rebuilding or in denial about rebuilding.

Top Bottom