• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Preseason/Training Camp thread - Doritos Locos

Hunter S.

Yeah it's a tough choice. I also hated the crap speakers on the Nexus 7, but understand they increased the volume on the new ones
When the hardware is compared side by side for Nexus 7 or 10 next to the IPad the hardware is almost identical for each tablet for it's respective size. Yet, the Apple product is a lot more. Basically, you pay a tax called the "Apple tax," to buy Apple products. I would link an old thread on another site that compared them, but the site is banned here. v g chartz.

ChanHuk

Banned
^ stupid drunk Donkeys fan. Obviously there's an Apple tax, it's a luxury tax you bum. A Hyundai Genesis does everything a Mercedes does yet cost significantly less. There's a "German" tax.

Milchjon

Tacos > burritos

It was amazing either way. I don't think I've seen carnitas over here before, and it even seems like they make their own tortillas.

Not like that other place where they put Spanish chorizo (dried and cured) into their "chorizo" burrito.

Hunter S.

^ stupid drunk Donkeys fan. Obviously there's an Apple tax, it's a luxury tax you bum. A Hyundai Genesis does everything a Mercedes does yet cost significantly less. There's a "German" tax.
*sigh* I thought Apple was cool only if you're in high school. Apparrently, you been smoking to much embalming fluid from cadavers and you think you're still 17.

Also, do not forget to watch football on your phone, biitcjh.

ChanHuk

Banned
*sigh* I thought Apple was cool only if you're in high school. Apparrently, you been smoking to much embalming fluid from cadavers and you think you're still 17.

It's cool to go against the grain. You cock guzzling underdeveloped baboon.

Milchjon

It's cool to go against the grain. You cock guzzling underdeveloped baboon.

Pretty sure that neither being pro nor anti Apple really qualifies as going against the grain. It's like buying Volkswagen vs Toyota. Both are as mainstream as it gets.

squicken

I have an S3 so I'm not scared of Android or anything. It's really down to form factor for web browsing. 16:9 just isn't good for that, especially when a keyboard is onscreen. The way I feel about Android is like it is a PC where it has to brute force performance, but also, it's like PC where I can make it do what I want. I wish there was a quality 4:3 Android device, or a Mini with more power. I had forgotten that the better screens had a big weight cost. Nexus 7 is like just 5% lighter

And it's always "wait". Reading now that Amazon will have a Nexus killer

ChanHuk

Banned
Pretty sure that neither being pro nor anti Apple really qualifies as going against the grain. It's like buying Volkswagen vs Toyota. Both are as mainstream as it gets.

It is. As the old man bionic said, if you argue about cell phones you have a small brain and/or dick. They all do the same shit.

Milchjon

It is. As the old man bionic said, if you argue about cell phones you have a small brain and/or dick. They all do the same shit.

I don't see how it's different from arguing about consoles or cars or games or football teams or dishes or anything.

You declare your set of preferences to be universal and everyone else's to be utterly stupid!

brentech

I have a nexus 7, but need to get a tablet for my wife this year. I figure it will be easiest for her to go with ipad mini as she won't have to lean a new OS. (both have iPhone, she's never used android)
Does such having to pay do much extra for it.

Sucks to lose MIke Johnson for the season, hopefully Holmes steps up or TD will be searching for a veteran RT very soon, if not already.

Had 2 already. Plus a Sausage&Egg McMuffin, which I still think is the best fast food item available from the big chains in Germany. (KFC excluded because fried chicken>*).
You have good taste, my friend. I rarely get a McMuffin these days because I'm trying to cut out fast food but they are indeed quite wonderful. Do they offer the egg white version with white cheddar in Germany? I think it's actually better than the regular one.

Milchjon

You have good taste, my friend. I rarely get a McMuffin these days because I'm trying to cut out fast food but they are indeed quite wonderful. Do they offer the egg white version with white cheddar in Germany? I think it's actually better than the regular one.

Nope. The anti-yolk craze hasn't hit Germany yet.

I have an S3 so I'm not scared of Android or anything. It's really down to form factor for web browsing. 16:9 just isn't good for that, especially when a keyboard is onscreen. The way I feel about Android is like it is a PC where it has to brute force performance, but also, it's like PC where I can make it do what I want. I wish there was a quality 4:3 Android device, or a Mini with more power. I had forgotten that the better screens had a big weight cost. Nexus 7 is like just 5% lighter

And it's always "wait". Reading now that Amazon will have a Nexus killer

How is 16:9 not good for browsing? We do it all the time on our computer monitors. Plus the obvious benefits that ratio has for watching movies means there's no doubt it's the better way to go. There's a reason Apple made the switch to 16X9 on the iphone 5, dude.

And it's always a "wait" for Apple phones too. The "real" significant upgrade is always next September.

Talon

How is 16:9 not good for browsing? We do it all the time on our computer monitors. Plus the obvious benefits that ratio has for watching movies means there's no doubt it's the better way to go. There's a reason Apple made the switch to 16X9 on the iphone 5, dude.

And it's always a "wait" for Apple phones too. The "real" significant upgrade is always next September.
Well, two things.

We have a movement towards more verticality in application and website design. This is obviously being made to match the increased usage of portrait-oriented devices.

And, building on that, larger 16:9 tablets are really awkward to hold in portrait orientation. Try holding a Surface in particular. The weight distribution and length just makes it awkward to use in that position. Seven inch tablets are fine - mostly because they're thin enough to wrap your hand around, but 4:3 is a lot more usable in either orientation.

Not anymore. Now all Apple has is bullshit they want to play off as significant upgrades.

squicken

On my 16:9 monitors, I don't have many applications maximized. They are essentially 4:3. Even ones that are, the outside borders are menus or tool bars. All the content is usually in the middle 2/3 of the screen. Like talon said, there's only so much horizontal space we want to track as we read.

You sure what you're saying is universal? I have a 24 inch desktop monitor and I read everything maximized. I'm browsing GAF like that now.

I do agree with Talon when he says the ergonomics of tablets for reading is often poor.

BigAT

Brandon Moore is choosing to retire instead of joining the Cowboys. I guess he didn't want to ruin his legacy and is opting to go out on top as the butt in Butt Fumble.

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo 41s
Just got off the phone with Brandon Moore. After sleeping on it, he's decided to retire rather than sign with the Cowboys. Story coming.

Talon

Lol. Brandon Moore decided to retire instead of playing for the cowboys.

@AdamSchefter: Brandon Moore could not bring himself to get on plane and leave his family. He informed Cowboys of decision this am.

squicken

Brandon Moore is choosing to retire instead of joining the Cowboys. I guess he didn't want to ruin his legacy and is opting to go out on top as the butt in Butt Fumble.

Just got off the phone with Brandon Moore. After sleeping on it, he's decided to retire rather than sign with the Cowboys. Story coming.

Explains why he hadn't signed.

Fox318

Moore was a great Jet. The Buttfumble was not his fault.

brentech

On my 16:9 monitors, I don't have many applications maximized. They are essentially 4:3. Even ones that are, the outside borders are menus or tool bars. All the content is usually in the middle 2/3 of the screen. Like talon said, there's only so much horizontal space we want to track as we read.

agree. this is what I do, partially to cut down on wasted browser space, but also to see my system performance and such while on the web and pretty much any other app.

fNvTwz4.png

And yeah, I switched back from dark theme because I really disliked not being able to really pick out bolding very easily =\

LevelNth

Banned
Just wanted to say thanks to all the guys that responded yesterday trying to help me with my Apple TV and Bose speaker issue. Tried literally everything last night, and I cannot get rid of the static.

Even tried the converter with a different electronic and all the cables as well, and everything is fine. Looks like it's just a unique issue with these two units and using the converted audio signal.

I'm not sure I'm even going to send it back to Monoprice as defective, because one, I'm not sure it even is, and two, I've missed the 30 day window so I'll have to pay even more money just to ship it back.

Electronics annoy me.

Bowser

Steve Smith: A Career Retrospective

• In 2005, Smith had one of the greatest receiving seasons in history. He led the NFL in receptions, receiving yards, and receiving touchdowns: since 1970, Smith, Sterling Sharpe (1992), and Jerry Rice (1990) are the only players to win the receiving triple crown. I ranked Smith’s 2005 as the 12th best regular season by a wide receiver since 1932, and then Smith added 335 receiving yards, 38 rushing yards and five total touchdowns (including a punt return) in three playoff games.
  • In 2007, 44-year-old Vinny Testaverde, David Carr, and 23-year-old Matt Moore started 13 games for Carolina after Jake Delhomme suffered a season-ending elbow injury in week three. Smith still caught 87 passes for 1,002 yards and 7 scores (four in the first two weeks before Delhomme was hurt), and rushed for sixty-six yards. Many give Larry Fitzgerald a pass for poor quarterback play, but Smith deserves extra credit for catching 87 passes when Carolina finished 28th in passing yards and 30th in Net Yards per Attempt. Drew Carter (517 receiving yards), Jeff King (406), Keary Colbert (332) were the only other receivers of note for the ’07 Panthers, which meant all eyes were always on Smith. Perhaps a better measure of Smith’s performance that year: he was responsible for 30.5% of all Panthers receptions in 2007, second in the league only to the first edition of Jay Cutler loves Brandon Marshall (31.3%).
  • In 2008, Delhomme was back, although Smith was suspended for the first two games of the season. But his fourteen game stat line was typical Smith: 78 catches, 1,421 yards, and 6 touchdowns. His 101.5 receiving yards per game average was a league and personal best. But wait: the 2008 Panthers finished 32nd in the league in pass attempts that year. Think for a second how crazy it is to lead the league in receiving yards per game on the least-pass happy team in the NFL. The Seahawks (last year’s cellar dweller in pass attempts), even with Russell Wilson, didn’t produce an 800-yard receiver last year. In terms of receiving yards per team pass attempt, Smith’s 2005 season was the best in modern history, with Smith’s 2008 season as the second best. In the 14 games in which Smith played in 2008, the Panthers passed only 352 times, meaning Smith averaged an absurd 4.04 yards per team pass attempt. Consider that last year, Megatron had 1,964 receiving yards on 740 team pass attempts (2.65 yards per team pass attempt).

Let’s take a step back now. From 2005 to 2008, Smith played in 48 games (including playoffs) with Delhomme as quarterback, the equivalent of three full seasons. He caught 299 passes for 4,686 yards, averaged 101.3 yards per game from scrimmage, and scored 38 touchdowns. In other words, when not playing with quarterbacks so bad that they make Jake Delhomme look like Joe Montana, Smith was producing average numbers that would be career highs for just about every receiver not named Jerry Rice. And he did it on a run-first team.

Smith, like Jimmy Smith, may never make the Hall of Fame. But for a very long stretch he was one of the best players in the game, and only bad luck prevented him from having a more remarkable career. When Ronde Barber said that Smith — and not Rice, or Randy Moss, or Calvin Johnson — was the toughest receiver he ever faced, I wasn’t surprised. Smith, in a bigger market and with even halfway decent quarterback play (not to mention being hampered by FoxBall), would be a Hall of Fame lock.

Damn I'm going to miss Smitty when he finally hangs up the cleats...

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Sure. But you don't find it odd that suddenly all these injuries occur when the new cba has begun?

no, I dont think empirically there has been more injuries since the new CBA. ACLs tear for all kinds of reasons. In highschool baseball I saw a guy tear his ACL because he sort of leaped/lunged to first base trying to beat out a throw, it was right in front of our bench and we all heard it pop.

Man i think i'm gonna jump on that madden deal now that I have my HTPC up and running. Thats a great deal. Especially just sell Madden to someone for like 50 bucks.

gutshot

One question though: I remember a lot of complaints in the past of the Sunday Ticket streaming being very unreliable. Either the quality was really bad or it just didn't work at all. Have they fixed that? Does any one know?

One question though: I remember a lot of complaints in the past of the Sunday Ticket streaming being very unreliable. Either the quality was really bad or it just didn't work at all. Have they fixed that? Does any one know?

On PC it's pretty much always been shit for me, and that's using Cox, Time Warner and Verizon at different times. I generally have been able to get low-quality video to work fine on there, but nothing better than that. It feels like a bad pirate feed. It's watchable, but barely. On my iPhone using wi-fi from the same Verizon connection, it's crystal-clear and works like a dream, which is weird.

Oh, and forget about the PC stream working at all for week one. I've been using Sunday Ticket To Go since 2007 and it's worked the first week a grand total of one time (2009).

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Lol. Brandon Moore decided to retire instead of playing for the cowboys.

@AdamSchefter: Brandon Moore could not bring himself to get on plane and leave his family. He informed Cowboys of decision this am.

Sounds like a smart man.

Top Bottom