• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Preseason/Training Camp thread - Doritos Locos

Bowser

tXRPC.jpg

Spades

I do sometimes, playing NCAA 14's atm. I really hate the damn grinding they make you do just to buy a few packs. Yeah I know they want you to buy shit but FFS its almost to the point where I just don't even want to bother with it (but its damn fun once you get a pack and get good players)

I've been playing NCAA this year - not a patch on MUT in my opinion. It's a total cash cow for EA, but it's very addictive. For the first few months of the game, I tend to buy a few packs each week with real money (I don't smoke or drink so I figure what the hell), but I do enjoy collecting all the special cards.

Trying to get some collections done now before Madden 25 lands.

What to Watch For Cleveland Browns

Another Season, another new Browns Coaching Regime. The new Browns coaching staff brings together a very talented array of coaches, featuring Norv Turner, Ray Horton, and Rob Chudzinski. On both sides of the ball the Browns philosophy will be that of aggression and attacking.

Defense:

Secondary:
The number 2 corner back spot will be the main thing to watch during the preseason, Veterans Chris Owens and Buster Skrine will be battling it out with rookie McFadden in the mix. I fully expect Owens to take a grasp of the starting spot, with skrine and McFadden working in the nickel. Look for Joe Haden to continue his progression as one of the Better Cbs in league, and hopefully transcend into the Elite category. Under Ray Hortons New scheme Safety TJ Ward should be able to roam the field more.Ward should be able to play in the box/blitz and really utilize his strengths. the other safety spot will be won by Tashaun Gipson or Johnson Bademosi in the preseason.

Lb: With new additions of Linebackers Paul Kruger, Quentin Groves, and Barkevious Mingo the OLB group should be greatly improved. The main guy to pay attention to however will be Jabaal Sheard, and how he transitions to a stand up linebacker role.

In total pay attention to how much pressure the Browns new 3-4 D will be able to generate, with great Dline depth and what appears to be a deep OLB group the group should be able to cause trouble for opposing offensive lines.

Offense:

TE: At the tight end position look to see if 3rd year player Jordan Cameron can make the transition to the next great basketball playing TE. Media outlets are hyping him up to have a breakout season, but im not quite yet buying it. Jordan has all the measurements and physical skills but his main problem is he cant stay healthy, and relatively still new to the game. Backup TE Gary Barnidge could emerge as a key pass catcher on offense if Cameron cant get it done. In total this position isn't the teams strong point as of now

RB: Trent Richardson has a firm grasp on the starting job. The backup Rb spot seems to be wide open however. Camp Star Dion Lewis looks like he might emerge as the prime backup, and possibly carve himself out a role for the regular season. Lewis will be in competition with Brandon Jackson and Montario Hardesty. Rb Chris Ogbonnaya is a bigger guy with great hands, and seems to be making a transition to the lead FB spot. Dont expect Rb Trent Richardson to play much during the preseason or even at all.

QB: Watch second Year Old Brandon Weedens transition from Pat Shurmurs west coast offense to Chud/Norvs vertical passing attack. Weeden wasn't the greatest Qb last season, but now he's in a Offense that fits his strong arm better. The new scheme however wont fix all off Weedens problems however. The old had varies problems with batted balls lasts season, inability to read defenses, and spotty decision making at times. It'll be interesting to see if Weeden has made any strides in fixing any of these problems. Two Backups In Jason Campbell and Brian Hoyer were brought in for Competition. I expect Weeden to start the season, but wouldn't be surprised if we saw multiple Qbs start not unlike past years.

Other things to watch on Offense:

The Battle at the RG position between shawn lauvao and jason pinkston

Progression of 2nd year WR Josh Gordon and 3rd year Wr Greg Little.

TrentTruck

Miami Dolphins

QB
Tannehill has all the tools to be a good QB in the NFL. Size, Speed and a strong arm. He is able to make every single throw on the football field but he needs to improve his accuracy. For now he is getting by with the excuse that his receivers and offensive line were horrible last year and he had to hurry his throws too much. He throws better on the run, something the coaches have noticed and are trying to exploit by adding more rollout out and play action to this years offense. He has poise, is patient in the pocket and is not easily rattled. His huge glaring weakness is that common of rookies. He locks on to his #1 read most of the time. He would constantly lock on Hartline or Bess in the slot last season, something that was still apparent in the first preseason game when he was constantly locking on his #1 receiver to the right side. In his defense, the offensive line is so weak that he only has enough time to go through his first read before having to get rid of the ball or scramble to gain some yards. I look for him to slightly improve this year, but he doesn't have the offensive line to help him make a huge jump in stats this year. He should place on the tail end of top 20 quarterbacks this year.

RB
Lamar Miller has an explosive first step coming out of the back field. He can turn it outside the edge or bang up the middle. He will be getting the majority of the carries but needs to take care of the ball. He also has to improve his reads blocking and know when to swing out of the backfield to become a receiving threat. Daniel Thomas is a bruiser up in between the tackles. He takes care of the ball pretty well, but lacks explosiveness for big gains. He is mediocre coming out of the back field for receptions. I see him dropping from #2 on the depth chart to #3. Jonas Gray has all the things you look for in a running back. He is a bruiser with good acceleration and patience for holes to open. He is also a good run blocker and has soft hands coming out of the backfield to gain some yards receiving. He will eventually compliment lamar millers explosiveness an elusiveness by being a RB/FB hybrid in the backfield. He is coming off an injury season, so his hunger is there and showed enough in the pre-season game to place himself in the running for #2 running back.

FB
Javorskie Lane is a good run blocker, good to average coming off the back field. However in Philbin's offense he will be used springy. Most likely in power formations.

WR
Wallace is the main pick up and should help stretch the field. He will be a decoy #1 receiver and most likely play #2 most of the time, with Brian Hartline getting most of the receptions and glory. Hartline has good route running and gains good YAC. Hartline needs to work on not getting jammed up at the line by more physical defenses. He should improve his TD's in the end zone this year being that the WR roster has grown. Gibson came from St. Louis this year. He is a very good #2 but will most likely be used as a #3 slot receiver. He has good speed and size for the position and good hands as well. Bumphis will most likely be used as a TE.

TE
Dustin Keller is your average to good Tight End. Decent route running and good hands. He should be our plain tight end who mostly blocks and is often the 4th read on dire needs for catches. Sims will be a blocker first and receiver second. He doesn't have the speed to become a Jimmy Graham or Dennis Pitta. He will be good for those yards you have to grind for in the 5-6 yard range. Chad Bumphis is a Wide Receiver who seems destined to be our #1 Tight End in this offense. Our offensive line being so weak means that we will most likely be lining up with 3 Wide Receivers at the line of scrimmage at most. No 4 or 5 WR sets are feasible even on 3rd and 20 situations currently. I see Bumphis having the size, speed, hands and route running to be a great fit at tight end. Getting under defensive backs and burning line backer coverages on inside or outside routes. He showed great promise in the first pre-season game and hope the coaches see that he would be wasted as a WR in our offense.

OL
Outside of Mike Pouncey this offensive line is mediocre. Just like every year! Injuries to our veterans especially John Jerry have really hurt this team. Martin is the weakest link, he has absolutely no punch when it comes down to blocking. He bites on fake outs and can't read the shifts from the D line. This is not on him though, he is playing a position that is not his native position. This falls on the coaches and Ireland especially. Letting go of Long is understandable, passing on Albert maybe, but not getting a journeyman OL during the off season for this position is a straight up mess of epic proportions. And the front office knows this, being as we just picked up an undrafted rookie from West Virginia (Jeff Braun) to band aid this line and shift everyone again. This is the biggest weakness on offense for the last 10 years, and I'm tired of it.

Defense
This defense will be average in pass coverage but great in everything else. The addition of Dion Jordan who looks to be the absolute real deal has me hyped! If the coaches are willing to make the defense the star and put the offense in a position to just not make turnover, we have a chance to go 10-6. I believe the DL is stacked with Wake, Vernon and Jordan. Jordan can also drop back as a LB and cover those pesky #4 receivers and Tight Ends like Gronk and Graham. He has the speed and size. Hard hitting safety Reshad Jones seems to be in for a great season just signing a 4 year extension. Our cover corners will do great if they stick to pressing at the line of scrimmage and using their size to be physical. Especially our rookie Jamaar Taylor.

Overall
Look for Dion Jordan to make highlights, Tannehill to improve a bit, Wallace being an average 68 receptions, 4 Touchdowns and 750 yards. Our offensive line costing us those tight games and the playoffs. Best case scenario 11-5, worst case scenario 7-9.
Great post! I agree with just about everything you said but I really hope Tannehill has a better year than you anticipate. Your criticisms of him are valid, though.

Godslay

Banned
On another note, if Orlando Franklyn gets injured this trading camp will have trashed the offensive line. Not cool.

He didn't play today, but he's okay.

Got Tales of Xillia and Dragons Crown today.

How do I stop buy gaem?

Got Dragon's Crown too, but I haven't been able to find my charger since moving. What's your PSN ID?

Damn Bell is buried. Also Eagles lost another WR to knee injury. Benn

Yeah, what's up with that? I thought he was impressing everyone?

squicken

Danario Alexander tore his knee up, again. That's like 6-7 times. Great talent but can't stay healthy. The typical pattern for oft-injured Rams WRs is to leave, have one healthy year, then get hurt the next year. So this should be the one year New England gets something from Danny

Tabris

It may have just been because I just started paying attention more due to fantasy football and following people like Adam Schefter on twitter but is it normal for this many injuries before pre-season even starts?

Bowser

Man it really does seem like there's a crazy rash of ACL injuries in the past 2 weeks, moreso than other seasons but probably because it's so fresh in the mind right now...

squicken

I read something that said injuries are indeed up, but a big part of it is us being aware of it. A guy like Benn getting hurt wouldn't have made it to ESPN 10 years ago.

effzee

I read something that said injuries are indeed up, but a big part of it is us being aware of it. A guy like Benn getting hurt wouldn't have made it to ESPN 10 years ago.

True plus at best he was going to be the #4 or #5 WR.

Just seems more serious due to the Maclin injury.

I think Eagles WRs shape up as:

1. DJAX
2. Cooper
3. Avant
4. Johnson
5. Shepard

Cooper and Avant will have to come up big both across the middle and in the redzone. Everyone else is small, speedy, and smaller.

True plus at best he was going to be the #4 or #5 WR.

Just seems more serious due to the Maclin injury.

I think Eagles WRs shape up as:

1. DJAX
2. Cooper
3. Avant
4. Johnson
5. Shepard

Cooper and Avant will have to come up big both across the middle and in the redzone. Everyone else is small, speedy, and smaller.
RIP.

Love this New Manning brother goofiness. I know it was posted, but it is so funny I do not give a fuck.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jn5zytfm9No&desktop_uri=/watch?v=jn5zytfm9No
This is amazing. I need a GIF at like the 1:55 mark when Eli goes "Uh-huh ....yeah."

:jnc

I have to catch up on camp updates. 10 hours poured into Pikmin 3 already. smh

EDIT: Was this posted?

ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk 1h

Eagles announce WR Arrelious Benn has a torn ACL http://wp.me/p14QSB-9eFg

Michael Gehlken @UTgehlken 41m

Danario Alexander the third Charger in as many months to tear ACL on practice field

Ouch.

Draxal

This is amazing. I need a GIF at like the 1:55 mark when Eli goes "Uh-huh ....yeah."

:jnc

I have to catch up on camp updates. 10 hours poured into Pikmin 3 already. smh

EDIT: Was this posted?

Ouch.

Gif that Chuck posted is the best Eli picture of all time.

Top Bottom