• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Preseason/Training Camp thread - Doritos Locos

Well, two things.

We have a movement towards more verticality in application and website design. This is obviously being made to match the increased usage of portrait-oriented devices.

And, building on that, larger 16:9 tablets are really awkward to hold in portrait orientation. Try holding a Surface in particular. The weight distribution and length just makes it awkward to use in that position. Seven inch tablets are fine - mostly because they're thin enough to wrap your hand around, but 4:3 is a lot more usable in either orientation.

I dont find it awkward holding it in portrait at all. I have a 10" Android tablet. Can't speak to the Surface. I find it even more conducive for reading to have that extra vertical space.
Just wanted to say thanks to all the guys that responded yesterday trying to help me with my Apple TV and Bose speaker issue. Tried literally everything last night, and I cannot get rid of the static.

Even tried the converter with a different electronic and all the cables as well, and everything is fine. Looks like it's just a unique issue with these two units and using the converted audio signal.

I'm not sure I'm even going to send it back to Monoprice as defective, because one, I'm not sure it even is, and two, I've missed the 30 day window so I'll have to pay even more money just to ship it back.

Electronics annoy me.
That'll teach ya not to buy overpriced gear from Apple/Bose. Apple...fine, I guess.. if you're willing to spend the premium because there's some quality behind it. But Bose stuff is just...ugh.

Wrayfield

4977_1375856241.jpg

I need to put this up in my office.

Wrayfield

LevelNth

Banned
That'll teach ya not to buy overpriced gear from Apple/Bose. Apple...fine, I guess.. if you're willing to spend the premium because there's some quality behind it. But Bose stuff is just...ugh.
To be fair, the Bose speaker is awesome and the quality is great. I bought it a couple years back when I was listening to my music via my iPod plugged in. Problem is, it's so much more efficient and easier to do it now via Apple TV streaming of all my music on iTunes Match.

So I was trying to jerry rig the Bose to enable this, but I think I'll just buy a new Soundbar for my TV and connect is separately that way, and it'll be straight optical.

Any suggestions on selling my Bose speaker? I was just thinking the usual Craigslist/Kijiji. I'm in Toronto.

bionic77

One question though: I remember a lot of complaints in the past of the Sunday Ticket streaming being very unreliable. Either the quality was really bad or it just didn't work at all. Have they fixed that? Does any one know?
If you want your football in HD then you have to pay your cable/satellite bill you dirty hippies!

gutshot

On PC it's pretty much always been shit for me, and that's using Cox, Time Warner and Verizon at different times. I generally have been able to get low-quality video to work fine on there, but nothing better than that. It feels like a bad pirate feed. It's watchable, but barely. On my iPhone using wi-fi from the same Verizon connection, it's crystal-clear and works like a dream, which is weird.

Oh, and forget about the PC stream working at all for week one. I've been using Sunday Ticket To Go since 2007 and it's worked the first week a grand total of one time (2009).

Well, that sucks. So I'm probably better off getting NFL Mobile for $5 a month again for access to Red Zone Channel and then finding "other" ways to watch a full game stream.

Crisco

Banned
On PC it's pretty much always been shit for me, and that's using Cox, Time Warner and Verizon at different times. I generally have been able to get low-quality video to work fine on there, but nothing better than that. It feels like a bad pirate feed. It's watchable, but barely. On my iPhone using wi-fi from the same Verizon connection, it's crystal-clear and works like a dream, which is weird.

Oh, and forget about the PC stream working at all for week one. I've been using Sunday Ticket To Go since 2007 and it's worked the first week a grand total of one time (2009).

I thought it worked pretty well last year from day one. But yeah, it's a mild shock when it works correctly. It's why I've never actually paid the extra fee for it or Max. Make them give it to me for free or not at all.

bionic77

Well, that sucks. So I'm probably better off getting NFL Mobile for $5 a month again for access to Red Zone Channel and then finding "other" ways to watch a full game stream.
The quality of those streams is always straight up garbage.

I get every Steelers game because I live in PA, but when I didn't me and my roommates would either pay for the season package or I would go down to a bar to watch the game.

Does any service actually stream live sports at or near HD quality? And if someone does it is probably nightly NBA where 15 people are watching. It is probably hard as fuck to get it to work for a few million NFL fans around the world.

Wrayfield

I get every Steelers game because I live in PA, but when I didn't me and my roommates would either pay for the season package or I would go down to a bar to watch the game.

Does any service actually stream live sports at or near HD quality? And if someone does it is probably nightly NBA where 15 people are watching. It is probably hard as fuck to get it to work for a few million NFL fans around the world.

NFL Gamepass works fine most of the time in HD for me.

MLB.tv is an awesome service, I just don't really have the free time to justify the cost at the moment.

gutshot

True, but it's free vs. paying money and getting straight-up garbage. But yeah, the bar is always an option.

NBC's Sunday Night Football stream is usually pretty good for me. But most people are probably watching that on TV anyway, since it's broadcast for free nationwide. Plus they likely have a better streaming infrastructure since they do a lot of TV streaming on NBC.com (albeit not live).

effzee

Holy shit, I never thought the go-to guy for rational, logical discourse would be Deion Sanders.

SAS had a similar viewpoint.

Granted its different because had Cooper been caught just joking or saying it casually this argument might fit. But the anger and hate he displayed brought the word back to its original use.

I do get what both Deion and SAS are saying though. I see White guys, Latin guys, Indian guys, or any other background use it without much of a thought or caution.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Holy shit, I never thought the go-to guy for rational, logical discourse would be Deion Sanders.

i know right. I think you can have a racist moment, but that doesn't make you racist.
I mean, if you're really a dick, and you really really want to piss a black person off, whats likely the first word you would use?

People vastly over reacting per the usual.

The technology has existed for 5+ years (veetle, sopcast, etc), but the only commercial service I've seen successfully use HD streaming is the Big Ten Network. I think they call it BTN2go or something silly, but it's pretty solid technology. The NCAA tourney streams, OTOH, are basically unwatchable.

I'm fully expecting the NFL streams to be hot garbage. But I'll try it anyway.

Fantomex

I'm really bummed that Eifert wasn't drafted by the Phins. I think we could of gotten an OL in the top 10 and then traded up for Eifert afterwards. The upside on Jordan is beastly though so I can't even be mad....yet.

MechDX

Good write up on Texans and Schaub from Adam Schein:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...-rise-in-allornothing-year-for-houston-texans

Meet Matt Schaub, the most significant player in the NFL this season.

Hyperbole? Hardly.

The Houston Texans are, in theory, ready to dance. Owner Bob McNair is one of the finest leaders in the NFL. The roster is rich, as general manager Rick Smith has put together a championship core with great surrounding parts. Arian Foster leads one of the most potent running games in football. Duane Brown is one of the game's best left tackles, if not the single greatest player at the marquee position. Andre Johnson is a star receiver. Brian Cushing is back, and thus so is the teeth of the Houston defense. J.J. Watt is a game-changing sack artist with Reggie White attributes and the ability to completely disrupt a game. Johnathan Joseph is a strong corner. Our Ian Rapoport reports that the other corner, Kareem Jackson, is having a great camp and is primed for a big season. Whenever he gets back on the field, Ed Reed will provide needed leadership and championship experience; even in the twilight of his career, the safety can show this team how to get over the proverbial hump.

Simply put: The Texans have the best roster in the AFC.
]

"Everything's a process in this league, whether you're on an individual basis as a young player from your rookie year as you grow into your position and role, or as an organization, as you fight to make the playoffs, then you make the playoffs, then you try to put yourself in a position to win a championship," Schaub said. "It's all a process, and I think that's the next thing for this team, and we've addressed it, we've talked about it as guys on the team in the meetings and how we handle that situation the next time we are there.

"We'll find out come December what we learned from last year going through that, but I think we have the right people that are going to handle it the right way."

He sounds just like Kubiak.....

"At this point, after the last couple of years, it's a championship or nothing for us," Schaub said.

There's a positive vibe about Houston around the league. What's the vibe about Schaub?

A rival player told me this: "I like Matt. He's a good player. He got over a hump last year. I think that will help him get over the next one. And you can never underestimate his toughness."

Ill admit two, two years I never would have thought I would hear the word toughness used to describe Schaub. Love him or hate him he is still the QB and admit it or not the Texans are loaded with talent. Sigh....

bionic77

I wish the Steelers were playing Thursday night.

I just hope that the Pats and Ravens look fucking horrid before the Steelers take the field, that way no matter what happens I will be happy for at least a week.

Mesoian

Oh comcast...why do you make it so difficult for me to give you money and add the damn sports package? Do you not want this extra 5 bucks a month or what?

Greg

I'm hyped but I don't know why!
went on a last minute trip to Pittsburgh with some friends to see Within the Ruins and All Shall Perish last night, and they were amazing

really small place, and we got to see them from a balcony that was directly in front of the stage (not from the event I went to, but someone's shot that shows how close it is)

no clue why no one else was going up to the balcony, but all the band members were up there hanging with us during/between sets

Wes

venison crêpe
"If I'm invisible I can travel anywhere I want."
"Yeah but you still got to go through security."

Oh Bungles.

Talon

Shit. One of the two Tackles in battle for the starting RT spot - Mike Johnson - fractured his ankle and is expected to miss the season.

Lamar Holmes. The spot is yours.

went on a last minute trip to Pittsburgh with some friends to see Within the Ruins and All Shall Perish last night, and they were amazing

really small place, and we got to see them from a balcony that was directly in front of the stage (not from the event I went to, but someone's shot that shows how close it is)

no clue why no one else was going up to the balcony, but all the band members were up there hanging with us during/between sets
You have awesome friends, that is so unfair. Glad you enjoyed it though, I bet it was an amazing show. Between the Buried and Me is playing close to me in October and I'm strongly considering attending but it's on a Thursday night and it's an hour away so I don't know...

Also, that venue looks great! Are your ears dead?

Deon Grant is retiring as a Giant today:

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2013/08/deon-grant-retires-as-a-giant

The Giants are a connection in my heart that I knew that I was supposed to be there,” Grant said in a statement released by the Giants. “The last year that I signed there to go to the Super Bowl I could have signed with a bunch of teams, but I wanted to sign with the Giants. The way that the owners opened the doors and signed me back and the general manager (Jerry Reese) and the coaching staff … we did each other a favor, but it definitely solidified my career for me.”

A low key signing at the time and his age started showing in that Super Bowl season but what he brought to the locker room was spoken about often by the players. That leaping interception he had against Carolina was one of my favorite plays of his. We'll always have the "veteran move" in the Rams game to remember, too.:)

Greg

You have awesome friends, that is so unfair. Glad you enjoyed it though, I bet it was an amazing show. Between the Buried and Me is playing close to me in October and I'm strongly considering attending but it's on a Thursday night and it's an hour away so I don't know...

Also, that venue looks great! Are your ears dead?
You should go! You never know when they'll be around again/when you'll have time.

I've been wanting to see ASP for 7 years and things just never lined up right with my schedule or the venue (bands love to skip Cleveland and Pittsburgh stops for Philly and Toledo stops that are 3 to 5 hours away).

My hearing was a bit shot last night, but I'm good this morning. The acoustics in that place were pretty good considering the type of music being played.

Bowser

Deon Grant is retiring as a Giant today:

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2013/08/deon-grant-retires-as-a-giant

A low key signing at the time and his age started showing in that Super Bowl season but what he brought to the locker room was spoken about often by the players. That leaping interception he had against Carolina was one of my favorite plays of his. We'll always have the "veteran move" in the Rams game to remember, too.:)

Guy was awesome as a Panther, really played well during his rookie year and the 2003 Super Bowl year.

On the celebrations front:

@NFLprguy: to clear up bad info re: celebrations like salute/spinning ball: only flagged if player does it directly @ opponent

Saints WR Joe Morgan also done for the year with a torn ACL:

Mike Garafolo @MikeGarafolo 1m

It just refuses to stop. RT @LarryHolder: Joe Morgan has a torn ACL. Likely done for the season.

Guy was awesome as a Panther, really played well during his rookie year and the 2003 Super Bowl year.
Some Seahawks fans said the same when he initially signed with the Giants and I asked about him. To put some perspective on how the team viewed him:

Tom Rock @TomRock_Newsday 1h

They still call that third safety position "the Deon Grant role" around here.

Art Stapleton @art_stapleton 1h

This is what Prince Amukamara told me as rookie on Super Bowl 46 champion about Deon Grant: "He’s like ‘The Godfather’ of this team" #NYG

Ralph Vacchiano @RVacchianoNYDN 1h

Deon Grant commanded as much respect from the Giants as any player I've covered in nearly two decades on the beat. Media loved him, too.

He's a big reason Antrel finally bought into Coughlin's system.

EDIT: ...and more injuries. Again with the Saints who are already hurting in the pass rush department:

RT @Saints: Payton also said DE Kenyon Coleman is out for the season due to injury (chest injury)

Colasante

Wes Welker seems to be suffering from a bit of PTSD, from the Sports Illustrated article: "When I’m answering questions from the Denver media, I’m not worried about what the Broncos’ people are going to think, I’m worried about what Belichick will think. Isn’t that crazy?”

Also,

Not comparing A. Dobson to R. Moss, but haven't seen this size on outside 4 Pats, & ability to win competitive-catch situations, since Moss.

Re-damn-diculous catch by Dobson on a deep jump ball throw from Brady. Out-jumped Nate Allen and Curtis Marsh.

DOBSON!

Top Bottom