• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Preseason/Training Camp thread - Doritos Locos

bionic77

I'm not expecting much. I'm far from pessimistic though.

Team has a lot of good young talent and i'm anxious for a full reload.
Yeah it is exciting following young talent.

I am dying to see if our offensive line is going to be a strong point or if these young guys are busts.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/20/google-nfl-sunday-ticket-youtube/

Man that would be fucking sick. I hope Google just bypasses the concerns about the networks, buy all the rights and then re-licenses them to the networks. Essentially subsidize the airing on network television of NFL just to be able to have carte blanche to stream the games however they see fit online. Would be SIIIIIIIIIIIICK
Wonder what the quality of online streams would be. I wouldn't be surprised if they were better than what we get on some of the networks. Some networks still put out shit HD broadcasts.

I can't wait until someone breaks up the cable and satellite companies. I really only care about sports. Let me get that shit live for $40/month and I will use Netflix and Hulu for everything else. I don't have time to sit around with my hand down my pants and surf channels for hours on end the way I used to so I won't miss that either.

Tom Penny

I seem to be the only optimistic Steelers fan left. Everyone else is preparing themselves for 6-10 it seems.

There is a very fine line between being flat out garbage and the Superbowl champ. We are only missing 2 ingredients, luck and good coaching. We have all the other requirements you need to win it all in the modern NFL. Luck is not something in our control. Throwing 80 yard TD passes at the end of a playoff game or getting 33 yards on 3rd and 32 with a dump off pass are things you can't plan for. But good coaching is something that might be in our reach if Tomlin learns how to manage the team on gameday. I believe in you Omar!

Really? Tomlin is the best thing the Steelers have going for them. He's the least of their problems.

Milchjon

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/20/google-nfl-sunday-ticket-youtube/

Man that would be fucking sick. I hope Google just bypasses the concerns about the networks, buy all the rights and then re-licenses them to the networks. Essentially subsidize the airing on network television of NFL just to be able to have carte blanche to stream the games however they see fit online. Would be SIIIIIIIIIIIICK

I hate the fucking Youtube player so much by now, I sure hope they use a different solution. I always have to force it to use the highest resolution (it always defaults to 360p), you can't buffer a full video anymore (it always stops halfway), and if you lose the internet connection at any point, it instantly gives an error message instead of at least playing the buffered video. I guess they're desperately trying to save bandwidth, but I don't trust Youtube on anything user experience related anymore.

Talon

CBS, Fox, and NBC would exert so much pressure to keep that package within the cable/satellite families. I would love to see it happen, but I don't see it.

I do love the thought of Google or even Apple being "Fuck off, we'll pay you $2 billion."

bionic77

Really? Tomlin is the best thing the Steelers have going for them. He's the least of their problems.
He makes a lot of retarded decisions on Sundays.

He has been the coach for 6 years and he still hasn't figured out that it is pretty much impossible to make a 50 yard field goal at Heinz and he still tries it all the time instead of punting.

Those kinds of mistakes have cost us games in the past.

eznark

Banned
CBS, Fox, and NBC would exert so much pressure to keep that package within the cable/satellite families. I would love to see it happen, but I don't see it.

I do love the thought of Google or even Apple being "Fuck off, we'll pay you $2 billion."

At some point what pressure do they have if another entity is willing to pay straight cash homey for the whole thing? What are they going to do, not air football? Give me a break.

I don't think Apple is in any position to do so but Google? Yeah, absolutely. They have YouTube and a $35 solution to stream that shit to your big screen (which works fucking awesome by the way!)

I'm not sure if the government would try and step in but if Google is willing to relicense it at a cheaper rate, what is there really for the government to do? They don't force Netflix to give some broadcast rights to their programming to networks.

The lunatic who pretends to drive an ambulance so he can post morbid pictures hates youtube, just strengthening my position.

He has been the coach for 6 years and he still hasn't figured out that it is pretty much impossible to make a 50 yard field goal at Heinz and he still tries it all the time instead of punting.

I always thought that was an unfair criticism. Every coach has affected the game with a poor coaching decision.

Godslay

Banned
I would normally say that I think youtube is janky, but with a Chromecast it has just been silky smooth. My daughters watched a movie last night, image quality was great, no issues at all. Was even able to pause it with my phone, let it set for roughly about 1/2 hour, and resume without issue. Nothing earthshattering, but it just works. I would love to be able to stream NFL Sunday Ticket through it. I'm going to with a Chrome tab and the Madden deal, but it would be nice if it was native to the Youtube app.

Beaten by eznark, but we are in agreement that Chromecast is awesome.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Old. They do this every year and Homecoming is where they honor vets returning home and surprising families with houses. You have some issue with honoring vets returning home?

You must be a filthy commie

never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

He has made good decisions on Sundays as well.

But I and most people only remember the bad ones. Some of which have been incredibly bad.

Don't get me wrong he has made some shit decisions - like sending Suishy for a 53 yard field goal when everyone knows he can't hit past 47 yards.

bionic77

I would normally say that I think youtube is janky, but with a Chromecast it has just been silky smooth. My daughters watched a movie last night, image quality was great, no issues at all. Was even able to pause it with my phone, let it set for roughly about 1/2 hour, and resume without issue. Nothing earthshattering, but it just works. I would love to be able to stream NFL Sunday Ticket through it. I'm going to with a Chrome tab and the Madden deal, but it would be nice if it was native to the Youtube app.

Beaten by eznark, but we are in agreement that Chromecast is awesome.
I might give it a try. I was turned off by a bad review from Tested.com.

I don't watch much youtube but I won't say no to a $35 Netflix player. Assuming I can get one before the end of the year...

Don't get me wrong he has made some shit decisions - like sending Suishy for a 53 yard field goal when everyone knows he can't hit past 47 yards.
He has fucked up field goal decisions a few times.

And lets not forget the 2 point disasters against the Jags in the playoffs. We might have won that game if he just kicks the extra points!

ChanHuk

Banned
The lunatic who pretends to drive an ambulance so he can post morbid pictures hates youtube, just strengthening my position.

Who is this lunatic? Only degenerates drive ambulances.

They don't allow slanteyes to drive ambulances, we can barely drive Honda Civics.

Tom Penny

You have to stack those decisions against the caliber of coach the rest of the league has. What coaches would you rather have right now? It can't possibly be a long list.

eznark

Banned

I don't watch much youtube but I won't say no to a $35 Netflix player. Assuming I can get one before the end of the year...

Norm's review was so much bullshit that I honestly question whether or not he ever took the device out of the box. The only accurate statement he made was that web browsing is atrocious.

I've used the tabbed browsing feature (which he claimed is fucking awful and unusable) to stream MLB.tv, twitch, and .mkv files dropped into a tab with literally zero problems. And I hate super, super shitty internet.

Godslay

Banned

I got mine at Best Buy. They were super flaky about it though. Just check their in-store stock, online.

Comes with a 3 month Netflix code, which works out to $23.97 when it's applied to your account. So basically it's an $11.00 device. Can't go wrong with that imo. Even if you don't end up liking it.

eznark

Banned
I got mine at Best Buy. They were super flaky about it though. Just check their in-store stock, online.

Comes with a 3 month Netflix code, which works out to $23.97 when it's applied to your account. So basically it's an $11.00 device. Can't go wrong with that imo. Even if you don't end up liking it.

This is no longer the case.

I seem to be the only optimistic Steelers fan left. Everyone else is preparing themselves for 6-10 it seems.

There is a very fine line between being flat out garbage and the Superbowl champ. We are only missing 2 ingredients, luck and good coaching. We have all the other requirements you need to win it all in the modern NFL. Luck is not something in our control. Throwing 80 yard TD passes at the end of a playoff game or getting 33 yards on 3rd and 32 with a dump off pass are things you can't plan for. But good coaching is something that might be in our reach if Tomlin learns how to manage the team on gameday. I believe in you Omar!

I want to believe, I do. But man, this is the first time in a long time that I've been this pessimistic during the preseason. I haven't felt like this since the 80s and I don't like it. Maybe all the young guys on offense start to click as the season goes, maybe Ben can stay healthy, maybe the defense can keep them in some games long enough, maybe. The one thing they have going for them is that the AFC is pure garbage, so 7-9 just might get them to the dance.

bionic77

Norm's review was so much bullshit that I honestly question whether or not he ever took the device out of the box. The only accurate statement he made was that web browsing is atrocious.

I've used the tabbed browsing feature (which he claimed is fucking awful and unusable) to stream MLB.tv, twitch, and .mkv files dropped into a tab with literally zero problems. And I hate super, super shitty internet.
How does the tabbed browsing thing work? Is it streamed from your PC over the home network?

And that is disappointing about Norm but at the same time I always take his opinions with a grain of salt unless they involve a $10,000 camera and lens system.

You have to stack those decisions against the caliber of coach the rest of the league has. What coaches would you rather have right now? It can't possibly be a long list.
I would have taken Harbs over Tomlin until he exposed himself as a total fraud in the Superbowl. Now I don't know what to believe anymore.

eznark

Banned
Tested still does Tech reviews? I thought they had become Mythbusters lite.

They call them "reviews" but really they are more impressions of a device after a few days use. I don't think Norm ever even bothered trying out a Chromecast in environments other than his SF house which has like 200 wireless devices running between all his roommates.

Chan I saw an ambulance drive through traffic today with its lights on and thought "I bet Chan turns the lights on in traffic just to get people out of his way."

eznark

Banned
Just got mine this last Saturday. The codes still come with the device at Best Buy. Just redeemed it Sunday. I guess ymmv?

If you can find one from the original shipment at a B&M then you'll get it, but they stopped that two days after the announcement for online orders and any new shipments.

Godslay

Banned
If you can find one from the original shipment at a B&M then you'll get it, but they stopped that two days after the announcement for online orders and any new shipments.

Makes sense. Still worth it at $35 imo. Once they get the SDK going it should starting getting a ton of support as well.

eznark

Banned
Makes sense. Still worth it at $35 imo. Once they get the SDK going it should starting getting a ton of support as well.

Yeah, I bought 4 of them. Streaming any video that I am watching on my computer to the TV is fucking awesome.

Is it worth getting a Chromecast if you have other devices that can stream?

I have pretty much all the devices of note and yeah, I think so. Mostly because it is super cheap and portable and not many interfaces are very good on streaming devices. With this you can just bypass them altogether and stream right from a pc.

MechDX

lynch4.gif

Lynch looks like Ed Reed.

Fox318

They call them "reviews" but really they are more impressions of a device after a few days use. I don't think Norm ever even bothered trying out a Chromecast in environments other than his SF house which has like 200 wireless devices running between all his roommates.

I stopped listing to the podcast weekly a long time ago because of the sudden switch of what the site is about. Chan and Smith never really seemed like the type that I would want to hear talk general science anyway. I'd rather listen to people with a academic background in a scientific field as apposed to two bloggers that really only covered PC and mobile tech.

Godslay

Banned
I have pretty much all the devices of note and yeah, I think so. Mostly because it is super cheap and portable and not many interfaces are very good on streaming devices. With this you can just bypass them altogether and stream right from a pc.

Yeah Gata, you basically just use a PC, Phone/Tablet with the right apps, and hit the cast button, and it's on your tv.

In Chrome on a PC you can send any tab within the browser (have to use Chrome with extension) to the screen, or if you want cast the entire desktop to the TV.

If you have decent wifi, it all works very smoothly.

bionic77

I saw the Skins and Steelers both make borderline heads to the hit against defenseless receivers. In the same game there was no flag when the Redskins hit Ben after he had started a slide. Granted it was the worst slide ever but considering it was a preseason game you would think they would err even more on the side of caution.

The enforcement of these rules is a clusterfuck.

Top Bottom