• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Preseason/Training Camp thread - Doritos Locos

Zeke

vO08FJ.jpg
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit

Bell won't require surgery. At least some positive for him:

@steelers: L. Bell has a mid-foot sprain and will not need surgery to repair it. -

Some more good news for the Giants:

Paul Schwartz @NYPost_Schwartz 1m

Coughlin says from what he hears, JPP and Markus Kuhn will be off PUP soon. #nyg

Here's a gif I made illustrating what I don't like about Dwyer.

Dwyer3_zpscc32f410.gif

Unnecessary cutback. Dude has no patience - he waits for the block to develop and he walks in for a touchdown.

re Dwyer: Isn't the back supposed to look for cutback?

Not on that play. It was a simple counter with the strong side TE and Right guard pulling, the backs are supposed to look for cutbacks on outside zone plays, but those are only part of the running offense.

Here's a similar play where Dwyer follows the block:

Dwyer4_zpsa118b39e.gif

To Dwyer's credit Paulson (#81) is a shit blocker but he manages to squeak by on both of these plays.

edit: why the hell do you have a Unicorn avatar?

bionic77

Bell won't require surgery. At least some positive for him:

Some more good news for the Giants:
Sprain sounds good.

Hope he comes back and can work with the line to give us a legit running attack. The game becomes so much easier (on both sides of the ball) when you can establish the run. As much as we are moving to offenses that are pass wacky you have to remember that the two teams that went to the SB last year are centered around a dominant run game. Flaccos style of going deep 10 times a game doesn't work without Ray Rice to draw all that attention.

Sprain sounds good.

Hope he comes back and can work with the line to give us a legit running attack. The game becomes so much easier (on both sides of the ball) when you can establish the run. As much as we are moving to offenses that are pass wacky you have to remember that the two teams that went to the SB last year are centered around a dominant run game. Flaccos style of going deep 10 times a game doesn't work without Ray Rice to draw all that attention.

You are all over the place today.

Earlier you said Fuck Haley for keeping Ben from audibling out of run plays, now you praise the Rats for having a strong run game?!

Talon

It's going to be nice having a center that can actually block worth a lick in pass protection.

McClure allowed between 4-7 sacks last season - depending on who you ask. Plus he's responsible for completely whiffing on a late play in 2007. Winning that game may have thrown us in the playoffs...right before VickFest.
Colonoscopy over with. Now I get to eat. Steak it is
How was the fart room?

bionic77

You are all over the place today.

Earlier you said Fuck Haley for keeping Ben from audibling out of run plays, now you praise the Rats for having a strong run game?!
I don't mind putting a leash on Ben at times but I hate the idea of zero audibles. I am sure Ben got spoiled by Arians who told him to go deep anytime there were less than 11 players in pass coverage. I also posted that before reading the article (this is NeoGAF). Sounds like we are trying to get to the happy medium now.

And the Rats have had a decent to good running game for years now. The focus for a defense was to stop Rice. That really opened things up for Flacco. We have tried and failed for years to get a similarly effective running game.

Talon

To be fair, the Steelers have dealt with either a combination of shit offensive linemen and major injuries for the past two seasons, it feels like.

Plus Mendenhall's trutherness.

DK:

As far as the avatar

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=77633861&postcount=10171

On the run, it's why I have so much trouble with line play. I thought it was inside zone b/c the LT was uncovered, helped LG, then went to the second level. Skins and Texans run zone with pulling linemen. Dwyer seems to be going between LG and LT, then cuts and goes against flow of defense. I definitely defer to you b/c I have no idea what their schemes are.

First off, bullshit. You lost a bet or something.

Second, you may be right. Steelers are mixing inside zone concepts as well but the first gif one looked like a simple counter trap to me.

On a totally unrelated note, here's an article on how in and outside zones are run.

http://smartfootball.com/run-game/a...fference-between-inside-zone-and-outside-zone

squicken

Tampa Bay had a MRSA outbreak. It is what is delaying Nicks' recovery. They had to give the players special soap and are sanitizing the whole facility

That MRSA shit scares the hell out of me. I really hope it leads to better cleanliness at hospitals and gyms and stuff

Talon

Tampa Bay had a MRSA outbreak. It is what is delaying Nicks' recovery. They had to give the players special soap and are sanitizing the whole facility

That MRSA shit scares the hell out of me. I really hope it leads to better cleanliness at hospitals and gyms and stuff
Ugh, sick.
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have recently treated their facility in an effort to erase any existence of MRSA, a serious staph infection that has sidelined Pro Bowl guard Carl Nicks and also resulted in placekicker Lawrence Tynes having surgery this week on an infected toe, general manager Mark Dominik confirmed to ESPN.

Doctors diagnosed Nicks and Tynes as each having contracted MRSA, a powerful bacteria resistant to penicillin-type treatment. Nicks recently revealed he had a staph infection to his toe that would sideline him indefinitely. Bucs head athletic trainer Todd Toriscelli also has battled an infection since having offseason knee surgery, but he was not diagnosed with MRSA.

"We had a company come in and nuke the building a week ago after the cultures taken from Nicks and Tynes confirmed it was MRSA," Dominik said. "It was a precautionary move, but we didn't want to fool with it. Our owners said spare no expense; we had the facility treated, and the league office approved of our actions."

The NFL Players Association has been monitoring the extent of MRSA existence within the Bucs facility. Dominik said head coach Greg Schiano informed staff and players of the MRSA problem last week.

The Bucs signed placekicker Rian Lindell on the same day Tynes had his surgery, in which the infection was scraped from his toe and his toe bone.

Tynes sought a second opinion after what originally was identified as an ingrown toenail failed to heal and became infected. Doctors at the New York Hospital for Special Surgery confirmed a diagnosis of MRSA.

Tynes has not participated in training camp, and with Lindell's signing, the Bucs have three kickers on the roster.
Hope they get it taken care of.

To Dwyer's credit Paulson (#81) is a shit blocker but he manages to squeak by on both of these plays.

That was going to be my defense of Dwyer on that, that he saw Paulson and said, "Oh fuck, there's more room over here." Still, he did a decent job there. I still think he finishes runs soft. The RB by committee will work if the young guys on the line all come together and eventually get it. If not, Ben and co. will see a lot of 3rd and longs.

Spades

Hello fellow Dolphin brother. Don't think I've seen you around in awhile, what are your thoughts on the Dolphins losing Keller? You think the other guys will step up?

Been busy at work buddy.

Gutted to lose Keller, he was going to have a monster season. Having said that, I'm not sure it's going to have a major impact on our season. Hartline will be more of a safety net than last year given that Wallace will be getting a lot of secondary attention.

squicken

It's as much about Smith's off-field demeanor as his on-field actions. "Great locker room guy," Reid told me, "understands the game, has the physical tools. He's won and he has a certain mentality. But he also has been through tough times and good times and hasn't changed. He has the work ethic and presence. That's why."

Congrats on overpaying for a player who sucks on the field but handles it real well and prepares for the next loss real hard

"It's a fresh start for both guys," Dorsey said. "I think A.J.'s skill set fits this offense a little bit better." In trades, we always want to know who won. Dorsey had an answer for that, though it's not one you'd expect. "At the end of the day, the kids won. OK? So why not be fair? The kids won. Sometimes, in the NFL, that's not a bad thing," he told me. "We're so competitive in society, sometimes it's like, 'OK, who won this? Who won that?' You know what? The kids won this one."

This is an NFL GM lamenting society being too competitive.

Fading the Chiefs. Didn't think they'd make the playoffs and now I know they won't if that is the culture in the building

Really excited to see Panthers-Ravens tonight.

It's the closest thing we've had to real football since February.

OT: Fox Sports 1 really does have a ridiculously large number of hot blondes. I'm pretty sure every show on that network is hosted by one.

squicken

If you doubt it, pop on the two tapes from their games with the 49ers last season. The Rams won one and tied the other against the NFC Champions. They did so with their defensive front getting the best of the 49ers offensive line, which is considered one of the best in the NFL.

In two games against the 49ers, the Rams defensive line had 6 1/2 of the team's eight sacks. Brockers, Quinn and backup defensive end William Hayes each had 1 1/2 sacks and Long and backup end Eugene Sims had one each.

"They bully a lot of guys in this league, but the one thing we don't do is let them bully us," Langford said. "We're one of those groups they can't bully."

Said Long: "We'd love to play San Francisco every week. It's smash-mouth football."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...-rams-d-line-wants-to-be-nfls-best-front-four

Talon

Really excited to see Panthers-Ravens tonight.

It's the closest thing we've had to real football since February.

OT: Fox Sports 1 really does have a ridiculously large number of hot blondes. I'm pretty sure every show on that network is hosted by one.
That Roger Ailes strategy.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Anyone betting on Brady's completion rate against the Lions secondary tonight? I'll go with 11/15, 150 yards 2 TDs.

I'm betting Suh and Fairley destroy his bitch ass and he cries like he did two preseasons ago with just Suh harassing him. That is if he even plays.

Top Bottom