• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Preseason/Training Camp thread - Doritos Locos

squicken

The Rams wanted to sign Daryl Smith and Rob Turner, but instead are paying James Lauranitis $10m/yr to be the 5th best ILB in his division

:(

Just a preview of the next decade of Lions football. Meaning our offense without Megatron is better than the vaunted Patriots and our defensive line destroying one of "the best offensive lines" according to one Pats fan.

As a Packer fan you should get used to it Greg.

You seriously talking smack after a preseason game? Then again, I guess for Lions fans the experience is about as close as they'll ever come to winning a championship, so congrats.

daryl washington is no better than the 3rd best ILB in his own division, so no

No, I'm basing it on last year when he led the league in tackles and was Defensive Rookie of the Year. And Luke doesn't need PEDs to do it.

You both need to pay a visit to the stat page for last year and see how he curb stomped your players ;) Bowman and Willis are old news. Look at the tackles AND turnovers. Yeah, not even close. Not the most tackles but slaughtered everyone on turnovers with an impressive amount of tackles mixed in.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Weren't the Lions 4-0 in preseason last year? You'd think they'd learn.

Edit: They were 4-0 in the 2011 preseason.

You both need to pay a visit to the stat page for last year and see how he curb stomped your players ;) Bowman and Willis are old news. Look at the tackles AND turnovers. Yeah, not even close. Not the most tackles but slaughtered everyone on turnovers with an impressive amount of tackles mixed in.

let me check on who was first team all pro. thats weird, patrick willis and navarro bowman. 2nd team all pro.... daryl washington. but i thought you said

p.s.

empty stats don't mean shit. washington had the hollowest of stats this side of calvin johnson last year. didn't help his team win many games so who gives a fuck if he had 10 tackles in a 58-0 blowout loss against the seahawks

let me check on who was first team all pro. thats weird, patrick willis and navarro bowman. 2nd team all pro.... daryl washington. but i thought you said

Again, take a look at their production, Washington shit on both of them.

He did his part to win games, the defense wasn't our problem as you well know.

BTW, FMT, how is the new Madden looking? I'm extremely underwhelmed with the launch selection but still plan on getting the consoles regardless so thinking about picking up Madden. If I did, would you veterans show me the ropes? Will it be difficult to pick up if I haven't played sport games in quite some time? Or is it more about scheming? Also, what system are all you guys getting it on? I'm guessing PS4.

BTW, FMT, how is the new Madden looking? I'm extremely underwhelmed with the launch selection but still plan on getting the consoles regardless so thinking about picking up Madden. If I did, would you veterans show me the ropes? Will it be difficult to pick up if I haven't played sport games in quite some time? Or is it more about scheming? Also, what system are all you guys getting it on? I'm guessing PS4.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=657013

join our thread!

as for the game, it's lookin' alright. the demo is up on 360/ps3 and the game is officially out tomorrow (for the rip off EA Season pass subscribers, $25!) honestly if you aren't going to play against human opponents the game is a waste. they did add back in owners mode so that's cool but the real fun is playing with friends or in online franchise/owner mode.

we have our 360 league which is the main league and we are planning to run a ps4 league assuming we have enough people (which i believe we do). i haven't seen much of next gen madden. saw a few vids from EA and it was just basically a hi-res current gen version. maybe EA is holding back on media so as not to ruin potential current gen sales, i don't know. i also dont know that i trust EA to bring out a competent next gen year 1 edition of madden but the few vids didn't look too bad.

p.s.

i'd also love to have you in the ps4 league since its always me and bluemax (seahawks) in the nfc west every year and then 2 non-fans get the cards and rams because they are the last 2 teams left.

Hunter S.

Hahahahahhahaaha. Brady lost to the lowly lions there is good in this world! *cries with happiness*

FarCry 3 is fucken good, weird, and pretty.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=657013

join our thread!

as for the game, it's lookin' alright. the demo is up on 360/ps3 and the game is officially out tomorrow (for the rip off EA Season pass subscribers, $25!) honestly if you aren't going to play against human opponents the game is a waste. they did add back in owners mode so that's cool but the real fun is playing with friends or in online franchise/owner mode.

we have our 360 league which is the main league and we are planning to run a ps4 league assuming we have enough people (which i believe we do). i haven't seen much of next gen madden. saw a few vids from EA and it was just basically a hi-res current gen version. maybe EA is holding back on media so as not to ruin potential current gen sales, i don't know. i also dont know that i trust EA to bring out a competent next gen year 1 edition of madden but the few vids didn't look too bad.

p.s.

i'd also love to have you in the ps4 league since its always me and bluemax (seahawks) in the nfc west every year and then 2 non-fans get the cards and rams because they are the last 2 teams left.
Well my friends don't play sport games so it'd come down to my brothers in NFL GAF. I'll check out the Madden thread. It looks as though the way you guys play, the duration is long enough to justify a purchase. So my primary remaining question is how fair is the game with match ups? Will I have a fighting chance with my Cards if I get decent at the game? or will SEA and SF be invincible in the game? I also noticed you're keeping the 360 version as the primary league, hope this wouldn't mean the PS4 one is largely neglected.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
You seriously talking smack after a preseason game? Then again, I guess for Lions fans the experience is about as close as they'll ever come to winning a championship, so congrats.

You're implying I started talking smack with this game.

We only have the best defensive line in the league with a Top 3 offense. Preseason doesn't mean shit but I have no doubt we can and will beat any team in the league.

Well my friends don't play sport games so it'd come down to my brothers in NFL GAF. I'll check out the Madden thread. It looks as though the way you guys play, the duration is long enough to justify a purchase. So my primary remaining question is how fair is the game with match ups? Will I have a fighting chance with my Cards if I get decent at the game? or will SEA and SF be invincible in the game? I also noticed you're keeping the 360 version as the primary league, hope this wouldn't mean the PS4 one is largely neglected.

LJ won last seasons Super Bowl with the bills but I would be lying if I said playing the niners or chickens as the cards was an even fight because its not. Both of their Ds are insane and the 2 qbs will be a pain in the ass.

If you are good you can compete. Everyone in the league is friendly and will scrimmage with you beforehand so no sweat!

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Did Star look good tonight for the Panthers?

I was wondering this as well. Luke seemed to have an amazing game but I was wondering how much that had to do with the dline.

For instance Suh didn't show up really on the stat line but he was getting double and triple teamed freeing up average-above average DEs.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I was wondering this as well. Luke seemed to have an amazing game but I was wondering how much that had to do with the dline.

For instance Suh didn't show up really on the stat line but he was getting double and triple teamed freeing up average-above average DEs.

Personal fouls show up in the stat line.

LJ won last seasons Super Bowl with the bills but I would be lying if I said playing the niners or chickens as the cards was an even fight because its not. Both of their Ds are insane and the 2 qbs will be a pain in the ass.

If you are good you can compete. Everyone in the league is friendly and will scrimmage with you beforehand so no sweat!

Well if I can at least compete once I get good, I should be able to have fun. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't super cheese like past sports games could be. I'm sure everyone will get easy wins over me at first since I'll be brand new but hopefully my power will grow over time! I'll be counting on that friendly veteran advice. I'll keep my eye on if enough players join the PS4 league to launch it off and if so, I'll grab it at release. Hopefully you guys will be able to handle doing the 360 and PS4 leagues simultaneously ;)

To be honest, that's a big reason D Wash had such huge numbers last season. In Horton's system, Dockett was tasked with taking on double coverage every snap which allowed the linebackers to rush in more freely. Under Bowles' system, Dockett will do what he does best, attack which means it will be more work for the LB's. That said, Abraham will give us a more legit outside rush so the ILBs might still have an easier time of things. Hopefully. Granted I don't give a shit who does the sacking so long as it happens.

Doorman

We only have the best defensive line in the league with a Top 3 offense. Preseason doesn't mean shit but I have no doubt we can and will beat any team in the league.

Can we actually mark this down as an official 16-0 prediction from you? I want to see how far I can take this.

minx

Top 3 offense? Ha! Yeah Stafford looked really great against a bad patriots defense. Proof that Stafford just throws it up and prays with Megatron. He had less than 100 yards passing tonight to players not named Bush. Doesn't take skill to dump off.

He's a lions fan... the season becomes increasingly less important for him week to week. Let him have his fun

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Top 3 offense? We forced 4 turnovers and failed to capitalize on most of them. I don't care if CJ is out--a good offense puts points on the board. Stafford is apparently regressing, missing wide open receivers. Where is this "top 3" coming from?

Just a disclaimer for new fans: Kastrioti in no way represents most Lions fans.

Lions are preseason champions again! I wonder if they can go lower than 0-16 this time
Top 3 offense? We forced 4 turnovers and failed to capitalize on most of them. I don't care if CJ is out--a good offense puts points on the board. Stafford is apparently regressing, missing wide open receivers. Where is this "top 3" coming from?

Just a disclaimer for new fans: Kastrioti in no way represents most Lions fans.

Stafford looked like a mess last year.

Milchjon

Wow.

The Patriots are terrible.

I dunno, watching it live (the first half), it didn't look that bad. Lots of potential, killed by incredible sloppiness. Even with his interception and one or two really bad drops, Brady went 16/24 for 185 yards in a half. Thompkins looked awesome except for that drive killing drop. The Defense held them to 13 points in that half despite 4 turnovers and Wilfork not playing. But that might've been due to the Lions being inept. Their O was pretty worthless, the only thing that worked was short passes to Bush.

This game would've killed me if it was relevant, but this way you can hope they got it out of their system.

I haven't bought a Madden game forever, but I might get it to play you guys. I'll get mine on Ps4

Talon

NFL Accused of Exerting Pressure on ESPN to withdraw from Concussion Documentary

Pressure from the National Football League led to ESPN’s decision on Thursday to pull out of an investigative project with “Frontline” regarding head injuries in the N.F.L., according to two people with direct knowledge of the situation.

ESPN, which is owned by the Walt Disney Company, pays the N.F.L. more than $1 billion a year to broadcast “Monday Night Football,” a ratings juggernaut and cherished source of revenue for Disney.

“Frontline,” the PBS public affairs series, and ESPN had been working for 15 months on a two-part documentary, to be televised in October. But ESPN’s role came under intense pressure by the league, the two people said, after a trailer for the documentary was released Aug. 6, the day that the project was discussed at a Television Critics Association event in Beverly Hills, Calif.

Last week, several high-ranking officials convened a lunch meeting at Patroon, near the league’s Midtown Manhattan headquarters, according to the two people, who requested anonymity because they were prohibited by their superiors from discussing the matter publicly. It was a table for four: Roger Goodell, commissioner of the N.F.L.; Steve Bornstein, president of the NFL Network; ESPN’s president, John Skipper; and John Wildhack, ESPN’s executive vice president for production.

At the combative meeting, the people said, league officials conveyed their displeasure with the direction of the documentary, which is expected to describe a narrative that has been captured in various news reports over the past decade: the league turning a blind eye to evidence that players were sustaining brain trauma on the field that could lead to profound, long-term cognitive disability.

Greg Aiello, a spokesman for the N.F.L., said the league had no involvement in ESPN’s decision.

Chris LaPlaca, an ESPN spokesman, said Thursday that ESPN’s decision was not based on any concerns about hurting its contractual relationship with the N.F.L. Rather, the network said in a statement, it was ending its official association with “Frontline” because it did not have editorial control of what appeared on the public television public affairs series.

But Raney Aronson-Rath, the deputy executive producer of “Frontline,” said that ESPN executives had for more than a year understood the ground rules of the collaboration: “Frontline” would keep editorial control of what it televised or put on its Web sites, and ESPN would have control of everything it televised or posted on the Web.

“We were about to share a cut of our film with them,” Aronson-Rath said, “and we welcomed their input.” But ESPN would not continue with the venture with “Frontline,” which has won 15 Peabody Awards.

Even with ESPN no longer identified as a collaborator on the “Frontline” films, they may retain a clear ESPN flavor because they are heavily based on the reporting of Steve Fainaru and Mark Fainaru-Wada, brothers and investigative reporters for ESPN. They are the authors of a book, “League of Denial: The NFL, Concussions and the Battle for Truth,” set to be published Oct. 8.

The two-part documentary is scheduled to run Oct. 8 and 15.

Article

Trailer

squicken

going-long-bruce-aria1tugg.jpg

Peter King sits in on Bruce Arians doing an offseason installation. Really good stuff

“We never, ever want to pass on the home run to complete a short fade.”

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/08/23/there-are-no-little-things/

BigAT

NFL Accused of Exerting Pressure on ESPN to withdraw from Concussion Documentary

Article

Trailer

Pretty shitty behavior by the NFL, but no one should be surprised by ESPN bending to their will. Isn't it pretty well documented that the NFL pressured ESPN into cancelling Playmakers because they were upset about how it portrayed the league?

eznark

Banned

Remember when the 2009 Pre-season NFL Champion Detroit Lions went on to win 2 games all year?

Man, that was fun.

Sorry clown, losers lose.

Bowser

Did Star look good tonight for the Panthers?

Yes, this was without a doubt the best game Star has played this preseason. Got constant penetration. I think he ended up with 3 TFL and a sack. Flashed the talent that had some people thinking he could have gone #1.

Through 3 preseason games, I'm much more comfortable with the Panthers D than I am the O. Rivera is a proven defensive coach and we look to have one of the best front 7's in football when healthy, good enough to mask the deficiencies in the secondary. But man, the offense has looked miserable. Part of that is on Cam and Shula, but I think most of it falls on the O-line. Cam's accuracy has been inconsistent because we have a shit O-line and he rarely gets time to set his feet. The O-line has been a problem basically since Cam's been drafted. And worse, Shula's trying to make Cam into a pocket passer with basically 2 good O-Lineman. It's a recipe for disaster. I hope they're just running a super watered down offense, but it's pretty worrying.

Then again, Cam has never been impressive in the preseason. Last night was actually his best ever completion percentage in a preseason game 3:

2011 - 31%
2012 - 40 %
Last night - 52%

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Rather, the network said in a statement, it was ending its official association with “Frontline” because it did not have editorial control of what appeared on the public television public affairs series.
Hahahaha, expecting editorial control over a PBS production. ESPN needs to learn that some organizations do actual journalism.

DSmalls84

The way Thompkins shoots off the line is crazy. He could easily be the best of the 3 rookie WRs.

So is it safe to assume he wins the starting job? I know his numbers weren't that great the last few games, but it still seems like he has outperformed Dobson each week.

Edit: By last few games I mean preseason games 1/2 not 3.

Top Bottom