• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Preseason/Training Camp thread - Doritos Locos

LevelNth

Banned
Nah, they just don't want it to be a situation like with the backs last year where you knew with 90% certainty the type of play depending on the RB personnel.

My biggest concern is durability as well. If you put a gun to my head and told me to make a prediction I'd say 630 yards rushing, 200 yards receiving (most of which will come on a few big screen plays) and 8 touchdowns combined.
True enough. Yeah that's a damn fine projection, and what I was hoping to hear (for fantasy of course). Puts him in possible Top 20 territory which I fully agree with.

eznark

Banned
KUBIAK has him as the 38th rated RB, just FYI. You might also want to pay attention to the battle for RG. If Barclay loses out, that hurts the running game significantly and does show a little bit that the Packers are still a heavily pass focused team. I'd say if Barclay starts the season as the 6th lineman then you can reduce my Lacy projections by 15% but increase his receiving projections by like...10%? Totally arbitrary obviously.

Last night was clearly the Lions super bowl which is both adorable and incredibly pathetic.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
KUBIAK has him as the 38th rated RB, just FYI. You might also want to pay attention to the battle for RG. If Barclay loses out, that hurts the running game significantly and does show a little bit that the Packers are still a heavily pass focused team. I'd say if Barclay starts the season as the 6th lineman then you can reduce my Lacy projections by 15%.

Last night was clearly the Lions super bowl which is both adorable and incredibly pathetic.

For Kas, maybe. Not for the rest of us.

As for the performance, Schwartz is still a thug and that shows on the field. Can't control himself, doesn't want to control his team. Real good combination there. Can't wait until he's canned in 2019.

LevelNth

Banned
KUBIAK has him as the 38th rated RB, just FYI. You might also want to pay attention to the battle for RG. If Barclay loses out, that hurts the running game significantly and does show a little bit that the Packers are still a heavily pass focused team. I'd say if Barclay starts the season as the 6th lineman then you can reduce my Lacy projections by 15% but increase his receiving projections by like...10%? Totally arbitrary obviously.

Who is Barclay up against primarily? The new guy, Bakhitari or some such?

Felix Jones? They must be getting Duce Staley's old sweat pants washed and ready for him. Either Bell's injury really is that bad or somebody else got dinged to the point where they desperately needed a RB. This preseason keeps getting better!

eznark

Banned
Who is Barclay up against primarily? The new guy, Bakhitari or some such?

Barclay and Newhouse, though with the injuries it might get goofy because Barclay may play guard while Newhouse plays RT. In Lang is fine then Barclay and Newhouse are fighting for RT.

MechDX

jj-watt-gq-magazine-september-2013-sports.jpg

Dat sexy Sconi! I have such a man crush..

Doorman

As for the performance, Schwartz is still a thug and that shows on the field. Can't control himself, doesn't want to control his team. Real good combination there. Can't wait until he's canned in 2019.

You make me cry, Plinko. If that were true I probably would have long Squicken'd by then, I don't want to have to resort to that!

If there was even one more skill player on offense that looked like they had some chemistry with Stafford, I'd feel pretty okay about the prospects of the offense. Calvin can of course break a big play regardless of how inefficient Stafford is with his throws, and Bush has at least shown me in the preseason that he's not just a shell, but if we don't have anyone else that can really damage an opposing team, we'll wind up back in field goal city. I still think Broyles will be decent, but he's not a big play guy and Stafford hasn't shown me the short-game finesse to be able to make the most use of it, Edwards and Pettigrew are still suspect at best...at least I'm glad to still have Scheffler.

Either way I still believe our linebacking corps is a liability, so unless the offense completely gels at some point, teams will always have a chance to come back on us.

ChanHuk

Banned
Well that was a brief 6 minute interview, same questions that were asked last time.

DJ Hayden is playing tonight, hopefully he doesn't suffer a heart attack and die.

Where's that degenerate cajun? How is this Chase Thomas kid?

Bowser

A few people asked about Star's performance last night. Here's PFF's write up on him:

A Star in the Making
A week after giving the best guard in the league (Evan Mathis) a hard time in fits and starts during his second preseason display Star Lotulelei put in a show (+4.6) against the Ravens to really get Carolina fans excited for the season ahead. Carolina has been without a real presence at defensive tackle for a long time, they’re highest-graded DT in the PFF era (2008 onward) was Ma’ake Kemoeatu (+10.5) in 2008 and though it has been an issue, they have never properly addressed it, until this draft.

By taking Lotulelei in the first round and Kawann Short (+1.7) in the second, they made a statement of intent that things needed to change and the first-rounder is starting to find his feet in preseason. Working principally against starting left guard Kelechi Osemele (last seen dismantling Justin Smith in the Super Bowl) the Panthers’ first round selection was able to consistently get a convincing upper hand. A hurry and a sack were good returns in the passing game, but it was in the running game where he proved to be a one-man wrecking crew. With two tackles for loss, two other stops and disruptions beyond taking the ball-carrier down, this display offered plenty to get excited about. Can he carry this sort of play forward when it counts?

PFF Game Ball
For not only giving Panthers fans hope of a presence in front of Luke Kuechly but also for taking apart the man who took our Super Bowl game ball this award can go to no other than Star Lotulelei.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/08/23/refo-car-blt-preseasaon-wk-3/

BTW, how ironic is it that Evan Mathis, the so-called "best guard in the league", was a 3rd or 4th round draft pick of the Panthers several years ago who was cut? Now we have shit for OGs.

MechDX

Well that was a brief 6 minute interview, same questions that were asked last time.

DJ Hayden is playing tonight, hopefully he doesn't suffer a heart attack and die.

Where's that degenerate cajun? How is this Chase Thomas kid?

When the Saints released him I wanted him here. Kid has good skills and high upside but isn't very big and shouldn't have been playing OLB with the Saints. Where do the Raiders plan on using him?

ChanHuk

Banned
When the Saints released him I want him here. Kid has good skills but isn't very big and shouldn't have been playing OLB with the Saints. Where do the Raiders plan on using him?

OLB, Raiders know what they're getting in Chase Thomas. Our DC Jason Tarver was DC/LB coach for Stanford in 2011 so he's seen Chase Thomas play.

He was expected to be a mid-late round pick but apparently fell off the draft boards because poor measurables otherwise he's your typical blue collar LB. He's waaaay too small for a 3-4 LB @ 240lbs. Probably the reason why they had to let him go, that and Rob Ryan is an idiot.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
You make me cry, Plinko. If that were true I probably would have long Squicken'd by then, I don't want to have to resort to that!

If there was even one more skill player on offense that looked like they had some chemistry with Stafford, I'd feel pretty okay about the prospects of the offense. Calvin can of course break a big play regardless of how inefficient Stafford is with his throws, and Bush has at least shown me in the preseason that he's not just a shell, but if we don't have anyone else that can really damage an opposing team, we'll wind up back in field goal city. I still think Broyles will be decent, but he's not a big play guy and Stafford hasn't shown me the short-game finesse to be able to make the most use of it, Edwards and Pettigrew are still suspect at best...at least I'm glad to still have Scheffler.

Either way I still believe our linebacking corps is a liability, so unless the offense completely gels at some point, teams will always have a chance to come back on us.

Agree 100%. The LB corps is mediocre at their absolute best and the offense is going to be a disaster if CJ is out. I wanted a WR early in the draft--we desperately need it now.

Apologies but you pretty much guessed my meaning anyways. I meant it in terms of being the go-to 1st and 2nd down RB with Harris or Franklin as no more than change of pace backups.

Plus I just read that Lacy is even lining up beside Rodgers in the shotgun and taking passes occasionally, so I was wondering if 3rd down work looked like a possibility as well.

It seems like he has some serious upside.
re: 3rd down work, I'm going to disagree with ez a bit. I think Lacy will see decent time there as a big body to chip DEs/OLBs and help Bahktiari (LT) and Newhouse/Barclay at RT.

Doorman

There's no way I could in good conscience ask for a receiver in the early rounds of the draft. Not after the Millen train and picking up WRs in the second round for two years consecutively in Titus and Broyles. We can only keep going to that particular well so many times.

At this point, the destiny of this team and the future of the franchise falls on Stafford and the coaching staff, Schwartz in particular. Stafford needs to be able to hit tight windows--he's shown the ability, but not the consistency--and he needs to be able to occasionally do it using receivers that weren't gifted to him via high draft picks. He's been given enough of those weapons already.

I still put more of this on the coaches, though. They've been downplaying any level of concern for Stafford's mechanics, and between that and the still-constant string of personal fouls and just plain stupidity (thanks Willie Young), I don't believe that they have the chops to adequately target and correct team mistakes. The problems we've seen crop up on the field during the preseason are the same problems that we suffered from during last year's regular season--I find that to be extremely informative.

Clockwork5

How is the Steelers DL / Pass Rush looking this season? I really want the fairly young Chiefs OL to show improvement over last weekend (although Fisher may not play) but I am going to want an honest gauge of the line they are competing against on saturday.

This may seem like a homer statement, but I think we have made good progress in fixing a lot of the issues that drove us to a 2-14 record last season. I am worried about our O-line with a rookie at RT and a second year guy at LG and after watching them get manhandled by the 49ers D line and blitzers I am officially concerned.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Saints Row 4 is stupidly awesome! Have only done like two of the main missions but I have spent over 4 hours doing stupid side missions and laughing my ass off. The music is just near perfect for whatever moment you are in.

The dubstep gun is so fucking good. I also like how when you change the look of it the music changes also.

MechDX

The dubstep gun is so fucking good. I also like how when you change the look of it the music changes also.

Haven't unlocked the Dubstep gun yet. I did change the look of one of the SMG's and it looks like Robocops gun. Used the Black Hole gun on one of the mayhem missions and its cool just don't accidentally step into the hole yourself. lol

Top Bottom