• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Preseason/Training Camp thread - Doritos Locos

jbug617

Banned
But its all typical male type things. Superheros, comics, action movie characters like my own extra room. But the things shown in there.....statues of teenage girls with Dolly Parton chests. I just don't get it!

Guess it is just my generational gap showing.

Embrace the cuteness of anime.

KaYotiX

Banned
If it's full featured I'd buy it again on PS4.
Anniversary edition on PS3 for the Sunday Ticket though!

Yeah I got that pre-ordered also. Sucks watching crappy feeds on the internet for games they don't broadcast down here in TX.

I wish the NFL would do a ALA Cart thing and let me watch all Packer games for like $20 or something.

madden is the only place where the packers can beat kap

Its also the only place the 9ers will win a Super Bowl this year.

Dolphins are playing the Jags Friday. I want all of you to watch very carefully for Gator's inevitable "lolphins" posts. He'll be trying hard to conceal his Jag fandom, as he is wont to do, but with a sharp eye you'll be able to see right through his red, blue, and obnoxiously ugly silver disguise.

brentech

Yeah I got that pre-ordered also. Sucks watching crappy feeds on the internet for games they don't broadcast down here in TX.

I wish the NFL would do a ALA Cart thing and let me watch all Packer games for like $20 or something.
Prouty won't be a la carte, but NFL Sunday ticket deal with DTV runs out after 2014 season. Might come to cable carriers. Who knows for now. But in the past DTV had extended the deal by this time to ensure exclusive rights.

jbug617

Banned
Wario is on twitter saying this.

@Wario64: Apparently GameStop will take the X360 versions of Madden, FIFA, BF4, AC4, COD Ghosts for X360 for $50 if traded towards Xbox One version

He says he was told it's 360 only and you have to buy the 360 version from GameStop to get the coupon for the trade in.

I'd buy Madden to get that Sunday Ticket deal, but I don't have a PS3 or 360 so I'd be buying a game I couldn't play.

I'm gonna have to buy one of them though, I want to get GTAV without having to wait for the PC version.

Milchjon

So gata, can you tell me what's updog?

tumblr_mr51t3R2sK1qdlh1io1_400.gif

Its also the only place the 9ers will win a Super Bowl this year.

you're probably right. we had our shot the past 2 years and didn't capitalize and as history has shown you don't get chances like that consistently. after a decade of garbage i can't be too picky about our success!

We'll see what happens in week one. Injury team 1 vs Injury team 2

i just want the season to start already. i hate injuries but i can kind of stomach them if its in the regular season. shit happens when you're going all out. but in training camp or pre season it makes me disgusted.... although i suppose training camp/pre-season is part of getting to the superbowl because you have to be prepared!

brentech

you're probably right. we had our shot the past 2 years and didn't capitalize and as history has shown you don't get chances like that consistently. after a decade of garbage i can't be too picky about our success!

i just want the season to start already. i hate injuries but i can kind of stomach them if its in the regular season. shit happens when you're going all out. but in training camp or pre season it makes me disgusted.... although i suppose training camp/pre-season is part of getting to the superbowl because you have to be prepared!
Yea, it's quite disheartening to lose key players before you even get to see what your team could have looked like.
Both teams still have a chance, not going to doubt that, but yea...

Yea, it's quite disheartening to lose key players before you even get to see what your team could have looked like.
Both teams still have a chance, not going to doubt that, but yea...

well it seems like just about every team in the league is suffering major injuries to important players so no excuses you just have to handle it!

jakncoke

Banned
lol what has Lovie done for someone to determine he is underrated and there is someone who honestly wants him as their HC. 2 things i didnt think Id read here

Godslay

Banned
Might as well give Peyton Manning, the MVP and a ticket to the Super Bowl. To think he also is also going to have TE's that are average and a running game with 3 different backs.

I hope that this team doesn't think they are entitled to anything. Yeah, there are lofty expectations, but every team should have them from the get go.

As far as the positions, Tamme and Dreesen are average, but Julius Thomas has the potential to be above average. If things continue to go the way they are in camp, he's going to have a great season. Before the injuries to Dreesen and Tamme, some wondered if Tamme would be cut or even offered up for trade because Orange Julius was doing so well.

I have Hillman pegged to hold the starting position. He has looked very good in camp. Bigger, stronger, stonewalling guys in pass protection, catching the ball, all while having homerun speed. At the risk of sounding like :kas, I think he is going to have a good year as well. Montee might come up later, but he's had a mediocre rookie like camp so far. I think Hillman has the potential to have an above average season.

They just have to come out and bury teams, and give the defense a boost that having a lead gives.

Spinluck

I'd buy Madden to get that Sunday Ticket deal, but I don't have a PS3 or 360 so I'd be buying a game I couldn't play.

I'm gonna have to buy one of them though, I want to get GTAV without having to wait for the PC version.

Buy it then sell that shit for a little rebate. Depending on how much you care about Sunday Ticket.

The last Madden I really enjoyed was 10. Even with its flaws I felt it was the last actually good Madden. Although 13 isn't complete dogshit as I thought it would be.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
The monthly pick up post in the gaming side is starting to freak me out. All anyone ever buys is anime, sculptures of anime, PC parts and Japanese import videogames. The thought of how some these guys apartments must be decorated makes me wonder...

Speaking of, has anyone seen cajunator?

Furyous

lol what has Lovie done for someone to determine he is underrated and there is someone who honestly wants him as their HC. 2 things i didnt think Id read here

He coached Rex Grossman/Kyle Orton to a super bowl game. Let that sink in. That's almost the equivalent to coaching God's Son to the AFC title game against the Patriots.

He's coming off a 10 win season where his team barely missed the playoffs. Check his record in comparison to all of the new coaches hired this offseason. There's no way Bruce Arians or Chud deserve a job over Lovie. I'm talking strictly football nothing else. Bradley job over a coach coming off a 10 win season.

jakncoke

Banned
He watched the Bears D get the Bears to a super bowl game. Let that sink in. That's almost the equivalent to coaching God's Son to the AFC title game against the Patriots.

He's coming off a 10 win season where his team barely missed the playoffs. Check his record in comparison to all of the new coaches hired this offseason. There's no way Bruce Arians or Chud deserve a job over Lovie. I'm talking strictly football nothing else. Bradley job over a coach coming off a 10 win season.

Fixed

JABEE

Eagles observations from La Canfora:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/j...oper-rehab-recovery-weighed-by-effectiveness-

Sort of backs up some of the impressions in the thread but boy that's ugly sounding.
I agree with what he's saying, but La Canfora has a deep hatred for Howie Roseman. He was spreading BS rumors about coaches not wanting to come to Philadelphia and the Eagles hired the top coach on the market that day.

We'll see. The secondary and defense in general is a huge worry this season. They haven't improved at the safety position in my opinion, and the corner position is a big question mark.

Fantomex

He coached Rex Grossman/Kyle Orton to a super bowl game. Let that sink in. That's almost the equivalent to coaching God's Son to the AFC title game against the Patriots.

I think in general there are coaches who are forever destined to be great coordinators, but mediocre head coaches. I believe Charlie Weis, Cam Cameron, Norv Turner, Romeo Crennel and Lovie fit in this category. I even think Philbin fits that criteria but I'm willing to give him another season to prove me wrong. I heard this analogy from an ex football player and it really does make a ton of sense. I mean there's even Wannstedt and so many other coordinators who do great when the whole team doesn't depend on them.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Manning will just find some other glorious way to choke away a playoff win. I can't wait to see what it'll be this year!

I want to be serious about Peyton Manning for a moment. He's the ultimate system quarterback. And that system is the West Coast Offense. The best there's ever been in it, big arm, accuracy, great size, knows the reads, has seen all the defenses, etc. In fact, he's one of the better clutch qb's who's ever lived. His weakness is not himself, his weakness is the WCO. It's an offense designed to take what the defense gives. In the playoffs, teams with good defenses know this and then are willing to give only the underneath dink and dunk stuff. Everyone on the offense has to be perfect for 15+ play drives or it fails.

There's a new breed of offense that's coming, helmed by the likes of Andrew Luck and Bruce Arians. In their version of the WCO, everything's the same, except they will force the ball down the field occasionally, and sometimes, too often. This takes away the ability of the defense to sit way back and wait to tee off on the underneath guy. It's an interesting take on evolving an old standard.

I agree with what he's saying, but La Canfora has a deep hatred for Howie Roseman. He was spreading BS rumors about coaches not wanting to come to Philadelphia and the Eagles hired the top coach on the market that day.

We'll see. The secondary and defense in general is a huge worry this season. They haven't improved at the safety position in my opinion, and the corner position is a big question mark.

Meh WR's always kill DBs in camp. It is really hard to play pass defense with no pass rush and DBs not even trying to jam the WR's. Even under Ried when the Eagles had great secondaries and bad WRs the WRs would always look better in camp. Saying all that the Eagles secondary most likely will suck this year but we will have to wait for actually games to tell. You are spot on about La Canfora having a bug up his ass about Howie.

9-11, 8 one and dones. All not his fault?

I want to be serious about Peyton Manning for a moment. He's the ultimate system quarterback. And that system is the West Coast Offense. The best there's ever been in it, big arm, accuracy, great size, knows the reads, has seen all the defenses, etc. In fact, he's one of the better clutch qb's who's ever lived. His weakness is not himself, his weakness is the WCO. It's an offense designed to take what the defense gives. In the playoffs, teams with good defenses know this and then are willing to give only the underneath dink and dunk stuff. Everyone on the offense has to be perfect for 15+ play drives or it fails.

There's a new breed of offense that's coming, helmed by the likes of Andrew Luck and Bruce Arians. In their version of the WCO, everything's the same, except they will force the ball down the field occasionally, and sometimes, too often. This takes away the ability of the defense to sit way back and wait to tee off on the underneath guy. It's an interesting take on evolving an old standard.

I agree with you for the most part, but Manning's been in the league what, 15 years this year? If he still hasn't figured to push the D deep instead of being constant with the dink n dunk, then that's another strike against him. Especially since that small potatoes is Brady's entire game now.

squicken

I absolutely agree with the idea of the dink and dunk being a big issue, but it was actually a problem with the Colts last year, even with Arians. Or rather, to get quick strike TDs. It's a problem for the Pats as well. The Rams entire goal in the offseason was to get faster so they wouldn't have to go on 10 play drives to score points

http://www.pro-football-reference.c...=gt&c4val=&order_by=#Offense Totals_totals::3

edit: Colts and Lions were good at creating big plays, but not as short scoring drives. weird

http://www.pro-football-reference.c...min=&margin_max=&order_by=yards#tm_offense::2

Colasante

I think in general there are coaches who are forever destined to be great coordinators, but mediocre head coaches. I believe Charlie Weis, Cam Cameron, Norv Turner, Romeo Crennel and Lovie fit in this category. I even think Philbin fits that criteria but I'm willing to give him another season to prove me wrong. I heard this analogy from an ex football player and it really does make a ton of sense. I mean there's even Wannstedt and so many other coordinators who do great when the whole team doesn't depend on them.

There are definitely a lot of coaches that make excellent coordinators but aren't as effective as head coaches, and you listed a lot of them. I might make the case for Rex Ryan as well, but those two AFC championship appearances speak for themselves to some extent. I don't think Lovie Smith deserves to be on that list. Compare his success to Crennel, Weis, and Cameron and it's clear he's on another level, although, of course, it could be said that he should have achieved even more success given how talented the Bears' defense has been the past decade.

JABEE

Meh WR's always kill DBs in camp. It is really hard to play pass defense with no pass rush and DBs not even trying to jam the WR's. Even under Ried when the Eagles had great secondaries and bad WRs the WRs would always look better in camp. Saying all that the Eagles secondary most likely will suck this year but we will have to wait for actually games to tell. You are spot on about La Canfora having a bug up his ass about Howie.

You're right. Brady more than any other QB can pick teams apart when there is no pressure on him. Also, the man-to-man coverage being practiced in TC is not representative to how the Eagles will be setting up their coverage schemes.

Godslay

Banned

Hunter S.

I hope that this team doesn't think they are entitled to anything. Yeah, there are lofty expectations, but every team should have them from the get go.

As far as the positions, Tamme and Dreesen are average, but Julius Thomas has the potential to be above average. If things continue to go the way they are in camp, he's going to have a great season. Before the injuries to Dreesen and Tamme, some wondered if Tamme would be cut or even offered up for trade because Orange Julius was doing so well.

I have Hillman pegged to hold the starting position. He has looked very good in camp. Bigger, stronger, stonewalling guys in pass protection, catching the ball, all while having homerun speed. At the risk of sounding like :kas, I think he is going to have a good year as well. Montee might come up later, but he's had a mediocre rookie like camp so far. I think Hillman has the potential to have an above average season.

They just have to come out and bury teams, and give the defense a boost that having a lead gives.

I suppose I should not think of Hillman as a lost cause based on last year and more importantly the last game. I really think this is a position far from solved. There is no veteran like Mcgahee like last year and no guy is tested as long term heavy lifters. Hell, even the preseason might not solve this position entirely. Hell, last year they went deep into the roster and used a lot of guys like Hester and Lance Ball. I will be surprisingly pleased if either becomes
dominate to earn most downs.

I really doubt any entitlement comes from this team. Nothing more than an expectation to win game by game.

One thing is for sure FMT is fucked from the start.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I agree with you for the most part, but Manning's been in the league what, 15 years this year? If he still hasn't figured to push the D deep instead of being constant with the dink n dunk, then that's another strike against him. Especially since that small potatoes is Brady's entire game now.
That's what I'm saying. He refuses to deviate from the plan. Guy needs more slang.
I absolutely agree with the idea of the dink and dunk being a big issue, but it was actually a problem with the Colts last year, even with Arians. Or rather, to get quick strike TDs. It's a problem for the Pats as well. The Rams entire goal in the offseason was to get faster so they wouldn't have to go on 10 play drives to score points

http://www.pro-football-reference.c...=gt&c4val=&order_by=#Offense Totals_totals::3

edit: Colts and Lions were good at creating big plays, but not as short scoring drives. weird

http://www.pro-football-reference.c...min=&margin_max=&order_by=yards#tm_offense::2
Josh Freeman pass complete deep left to Vincent Jackson for 95 yards (tackle by Malcolm Jenkins)

Only the Yucs could have a 95 yard play for no points.

Top Bottom