• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Preseason/Training Camp thread - Doritos Locos

Godslay

Banned
I suppose I should not think of Hillman as a lost cause based on last year and more importantly the last game. I really think this is a position far from solved. There is no veteran like Mcgahee like last year and no guy is tested as long term heavy lifters. Hell, even the preseason might not solve this position entirely. Hell, last year they went deep into the roster and used a lot of guys like Hester and Lance Ball. I will be surprisingly pleased if either becomes
dominate to earn most downs.

I really doubt any entitlement comes from this team. Nothing more than an expectation to win.

One ting is for sure FMT is fucked from the start.

Hillman has had a great camp. I questioned him as well, but he has a pro body now, and the brains to complement that. Duke Ihenacho has been taking the majority of 1st team snaps at SS, he's about 6'1" / 215 lbs. Ronnie Hillman is about 5'9" /200 lbs. Hillman absolutely trucked Ihenacho the other day to score. Same thing with Danny Trevathan, 6'1" / 230 lbs, and Hillman stonewalled him on a blitz pickup. The guy is becoming a complete back. Montee might get there eventually, but Hillman is stepping up.

Hester is our short yardage guy, L. Ball is likely gone. Listed 7th on the depth chart.

I can't conjure any hate for other teams/posters during preseason games. I just hope that both Denver and SF come away from the game without any hurt players.

jakncoke

Banned
How insane is it to be thinking about a 2nd ft job. I really dont want to paying on this 10 year old car for 4 years. If I got a job paying the same as my last job which wasnt much, I could pay my car off in 10 months

That's what I'm saying. He refuses to deviate from the plan. Guy needs more slang.

Josh Freeman pass complete deep left to Vincent Jackson for 95 yards (tackle by Malcolm Jenkins)

Only the Yucs could have a 95 yard play for no points.
I think VJax had some nagging injury that was slowing him down or something.
But, it's still ridiculous.
Even worse that we didn't get ANYTHING on that drive.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
How insane is it to be thinking about a 2nd ft job. I really dont want to paying on this 10 year old car for 4 years. If I got a job paying the same as my last job which wasnt much, I could pay my car off in 10 months

Get that job chan has where you get to kill people and sleep.

Well I'm not sure, but he conquered Raider Nation in more ways than one.

The majority of them yes, don't take my word for it. Look at the recaps:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/47706/the-peyton-manning-playoff-question

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/peyton-mannings-9-11-playoff-record-is-call-for-help/20867/

I'm supposed to take a CHFF article in which the author excuses two shutout playoff losses seriously?

I'm not going to bore everyone with this argument for the millionth time. All I'll say is that more is expected of Manning. Instead it's constant excuses (from everyone but him, oddly).

9-11, 8 one and dones. All not his fault?

I agree with you for the most part, but Manning's been in the league what, 15 years this year? If he still hasn't figured to push the D deep instead of being constant with the dink n dunk, then that's another strike against him. Especially since that small potatoes is Brady's entire game now.
Peyton makes mediocre teams look better than they actually are during the regular season, and they come crashing down to earth in the playoffs. I don't think it needs to be more complicated than that.

The margin for error is too thin in the playoffs to blame (or credit) a single guy, unless he's self-destructing Delhomme-style.

Peyton makes mediocre teams look better than they actually are during the regular season, and they come crashing down to earth in the playoffs. I don't think it needs to be more complicated than that.

The margin for error is too thin in the playoffs to blame (or credit) a single guy, unless he's self-destructing Delhomme-style.

I'm not blaming a single guy. I just can't stand the "oh, not his fault" crying that surfaces every time his team disappoints. Writers even desperately excused him from the int against the Rats last year, the same throw that Favre threw against the Saints. Favre's been OOL 2 years and people STILL roast him for that throw!

Godslay

Banned
I'm supposed to take a CHFF article in which the author excuses two shutout playoff losses seriously?

I'm not going to bore everyone with this argument for the millionth time. All I'll say is that more is expected of Manning. Instead it's constant excuses (from everyone but him, oddly).

Well then count those two shutouts as chokes. It doesn't account for everything. You can discount the author of the article, but the facts are still the facts. He's hardly a choker. Just a small taste.

When your defense allows a fourth-quarter comeback 60 percent of the time (6-4), you have a real problem. It is one thing to let Drew Brees do it, but when it’s Jay Fiedler, Billy Volek, Mark Sanchez and Joe Flacco? That is completely unacceptable.

Manning’s had a lead in the final 0:40 of the fourth quarter and lost four playoff games.

The only four times Manning’s teams have held off comeback attempts, they led to three straight wins and a Super Bowl in 2006, and a Super Bowl appearance in 2009 after holding off the Jets.

I'm not blaming a single guy. I just can't stand the "oh, not his fault" crying that surfaces every time his team disappoints. Writers even desperately excused him from the int against the Rats last year, the same throw that Favre threw against the Saints. Favre's been OOL 2 years and people STILL roast him for that throw!
People got on Favre because it was the 3rd time he'd done it. Also, dick pix.

tbh, Peyton's was a bad throw, but it wasn't that bad. There was at least a receiver there!

If Freeman can be consistent for once, and our D stops choking every time we have a lead I think we make the playoffs.
I really want the Bucs to make the playoffs again...

Godslay

Banned

It was a bad throw, but he shouldn't have been put in that position in the first place.

Pass int. when Decker was shoved on the taint in 1st or 2nd quarter. -Not Manning's fault.
Champ toast - Not Manning's fault.
Raheem Moore - Not Manning's fault.
Moreno injured resulting in not being able to run the ball with any effectiveness - Not Manning's fault.
Prater missing FG - Not Manning's fault.
Fox/McCoy being pussies - Not Manning's fault.

If all of this doesn't happen, Manning doesn't throw the pick. That game should have never went to OT, but it did. The final pick was on Manning, so I guess he lost the game by himself.

Trust me, I'd be the first to roast the guy. But I won't because outside of the games where he threw all those picks while he was essentially rehabbing, he has played beyond my expectations. Because of that the team is better, and without him they'd likely be shit both in the regular and post-season.

JABEE

I thought that DirecTV has Comcast Sportsnet now, Fios did when I had it.
But they don't get the Comcast Network. When the Sixers, Flyers, and Phillies play on the same night, there are problems. Also, Comcast is my ISP and we have the triple play.

There is no Fios in my area.

But they don't get the Comcast Network. When the Sixers, Flyers, and Phillies play on the same night, there are problems. Also, Comcast is my ISP and we have the triple play.

There is no Fios in my area.

Damn dude that sucks. I hated Comcast so much when I had the triple play. Hopefully Fios comes to your area before to much longer.

Well then count those two shutouts as chokes. It doesn't account for everything. You can discount the author of the article, but the facts are still the facts. He's hardly a choker. Just a small taste.

If i'm counting..

Colts/Jets
Steelers/Colts
Chargers/Colts 2
Colts/Jets 2
Ravens/Colts 2

Are all games where I would directly point to Manning underperforming/playing poorly for the loss. And those are just the one and dones.

It was a bad throw, but he shouldn't have been put in that position in the first place.

If AD didn't fumble 2 times Favre wouldn't have made that throw. Something something candy and nuts.

Spinluck

The only times I remember Peyton choking in the PO's were when defenses completely figure him out. Sometimes he's able to turn the tables, other times, welp.

He also hates the cold (this is no secret lol), and like chuckddd mentioned will take whatever the defense gives him. And if they know what they want to give him, which is short easy reads. Who's hand does that play into?

You can make the argument that if this were the case, then teams should just do this to him in the regular season. But Manning has always taken part in some weird ass playoff games. Where some bizarre shit always happens that cost his team the game. Whether it's on him or a teammate.

squicken

Just what Chuck was talking about, Palmer and Arians on big plays

"If they make a mistake, hold the ball and chuck it for a 60-yard gain," Palmer said from training camp recently when explaining coach Bruce Arians' mindset. "Don't take the checkdown, checkdown, checkdown. In this division especially, you can't go seven or eight drives a game trying to get 12- to 14-play drives. The defenses are too good."

Arians points to 15 yards for runs and 25 yards for passes as parameters for "explosive" plays.

Last season, NFL teams averaged 0.7 points per drive without an explosive play and 3.8 yards per drive with at least one of them (using Arians' parameters). The chart, courtesy of ESPN Stats & Information, breaks down the averages by NFC West defenses.

"I have been so ingrained to get completions, get completions, get completions," Palmer said. "[Arians] is more, 'Let's take shots when we can. Let's take advantage of those mistakes, guys being a little bit out of practice, a guy not quite getting to the hash or a guy not quite getting outside the numbers. If he stays inside the numbers, let's take this opportunity. Play offense.' "

Can the Cardinals strike for big plays in the passing game without taking too many quarterback hits or sacks? We've heard from Arians on the matter, and from Palmer. Their philosophy will be a frequent reference point for Cardinals-related analysis this season.

Seems like the league is going back a bit to 70s football, with Flacco as the trailblazer. Maybe it will just be a stream of jump balls and hoping for a catch or DPI

JABEE

Welker is finally speaking the truth about Belichick.

Sports Illustrated said:
“It was just kind of hard,” Welker said, “one of those deals where you have to endure him, put up with him. . . .But he does it to everybody, it’s the way he is.”
“When I’m answering questions from the Denver media, I’m not worried about what the Broncos’ people are going to think,” Welker said. “I’m worried about what Belichick will think.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/07/welker-says-dealing-with-belichick-was-kind-of-hard/

It will be okay. He can't hurt you anymore, Welker!

I'm happy Welker got out from under that tyrant.

Lions-GAF: I haven't seen much of any reports on how Broyles is doing this off season, anyone heard...anything? Guys like Patrick Edwards and Kris Durham have gotten rave reviews from reporters at camp but nothing on Broyles.

The only times I remember Peyton choking in the PO's were when defenses completely figure him out. Sometimes he's able to turn the tables, other times, welp.

He also hates the cold (this is no secret lol), and like chuckddd mentioned will take whatever the defense gives him. And if they know what they want to give him, which is short easy reads. Who's hand does that play into?

You can make the argument that if this were the case, then teams should just do this to him in the regular season. But Manning has always taken part in some weird ass playoff games. Where some bizarre shit always happens that cost his team the game. Whether it's on him or a teammate.

The reason teams don't do it in the regular season is because no one gives a fuck about the regular season. Nobody's gonna show their hand when the game doesn't matter and Manning is a smart guy. Teams who need the win likely won't make the playoffs anyway.

Manning must know this, yet it's the same story year in and out.

Hunter S.

If i'm counting..

Colts/Jets
Steelers/Jets
Chargers/Colts 2
Colts/Jets 2
Ravens/Jets 2

Are all games where I would directly point to Manning underperforming/playing poorly for the loss. And those are just the one and dones.

Well, for that matter there are barely any QBs with that many playoff games to compare him to. So with so few succeeding as well as him you got a small pool of very successful QBs to compare him to. 4 QBs that have 20 or more playoff games like Manning and all do have a better win percentage. Brady, Elway, and Farve (edit Montana). In other words, there is a lot of whining because e performs so well in the regular season yet, is below most of best percentage wise in the playoffs. Well, get over it considering hardly any QBs even make the playoffs so consistently through out the history of the league.

The reason teams don't do it in the regular season is because no one gives a fuck about the regular season. Nobody's gonna show their hand when the game doesn't matter and Manning is a smart guy. Teams who need the win likely won't make the playoffs anyway.

Manning must know this, yet it's the same story year in and out.
Is he supposed to be God?

I don't understand what he's supposed to do. "Elevate his game"? Define that for me...

Spinluck

Seems like the league is going back a bit to 70s football, with Flacco as the trailblazer. Maybe it will just be a stream of jump balls and hoping for a catch or DPI

Arians left us at the worst time then :-O

Seems like the league is going back a bit to 70s football, with Arians as the trailblazer. Maybe it will just be a stream of jump balls and hoping for a catch or DPI
Fixed. Arians was the OC for the Steelers, and the de facto coach of the "How the fuck did they get 11 wins?!" Colts. Someone said earlier that they don't know how he got a job over Lovie. That's how.

I don't understand what he's supposed to do. "Elevate his game"? Define that for me...

It's just as Chuck said. You know defenses see you coming and you don't throw them a wrinkle now and then?

I hate to talk positive about the Patriots, but when they were winning* they always had a new trick or two for the postseason. Meanwhile the Colts team you faced in October was the same one you got in January. Of course teams are gonna figure Manning out!

It's just as Chuck said. You know defenses see you coming and you don't throw them a wrinkle now and then?

I hate to talk positive about the Patriots, but when they were winning* they always had a new trick or two for the postseason. Meanwhile the Colts team you faced in October was the same one you got in January. Of course teams are gonna figure Manning out!
That feels more like the responsibility of the guy making the game plan to me. I know Peyton's considered the OC, so maybe it's still his fault! ...but not as a QB.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Cards/Browns fan checking in...

i1lDk8UzKzr0n.gif

Brandon Weeden
FUCKING SUCKS
. I hate his quarterback play and fault the prior GM for taking him.

Get'em Gondo! Teach him to respect his elders!

Chud
is an awful coach and we should've hired Lovie Smith
. Lovie is one of the most underrated coaches of his era.

Get em BG for disrespecting Chud!

Jason Campbell hopefully resurrects his career.

I have more predictions but I'll chill for now.

Oh my bad, didn't know this was BG's alt.

Spinluck

I'm not defending all of his PO woes. Things like the Tracy Porter pick six, the cold Foxborough games(although the WHOLE team fucking sucked), and the shutouts just can't be defended. However, the guy has proven he can come big in the clutch since then- and has done it more than once in PO's. But I guess that depends on how loose your definition of clutch is. It may not be on the same level of The Chosen One Elijah Son Of Archie, but he's done it before.

Manning didn't choke nearly as much as his defense did last year against the Ravens, that was bad. Almost as bad as Nick Harper not being able to out run a fat rapist for a touchdown, and then the leagues most accurate FG Kicker botching an easy kick. EDIT: It is worth noting that Manning played like shit that game though.

Top Bottom