• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Preseason/Training Camp thread - Doritos Locos

Godslay

Banned
Godslay, that ball is two yards under thrown. Peyton should have led him down the field. If he didn't have a noodle arm, that's a td.

Looks like a good ball to me. Catchable, might be a little short, was going to drop right in to his chest judging by either angle.

If it was lofted ahead, Finnegan would close in.

inNSzYJCcBAo8.gif

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
You watched too much Tim Tebow as qb. The receiver shouldn't have to stop, turn around and jump for the ball there. It's a straight seam route and Ogletree has 2 steps on his man.

Plus the safety is a non-factor if the ball was thrown to the right place with enough velocity.

LJ11

Plus the safety is a non-factor if the ball was thrown to the right place with enough velocity.

If he makes an extremely difficult throw that only a couple of QBs can make then yeah, the S is a non factor, but Ogletree squeezed that route well and he had help.

Manning had to drop a dime between 3 defenders. Not the same QB, all but a few fail to make that throw.

Godslay

Banned
You watched too much Tim Tebow as qb. The receiver shouldn't have to stop, turn around and jump for the ball there. It's a straight seam route and Ogletree has 2 steps on his man.

So this is a bad ball?

iovOzsSfHI1uV.png

Loft it any higher, Thomas has to jump or is over-thrown. Lead him out to the left, Finnegan (not the safety), closes on that play and either breaks it up or blasts Thomas. If the ball was placed a fingertips length higher and to the left, it's a perfect ball. As such it's a good throw down the seam imo, and a great athletic play by Ogletree. He not only has to jump, but fully extend his body to make the play.

squicken

Here's what I meant Squicken.

Ogletree was beat, made up the ground, made a leaping play to tip and intercept the ball. Good play and recovery by him. If Manning places the ball a fingertip's length higher that's a catch and potentially a bigger play.

Also note how Chris Clark #75 is pretty much bullrushed into oblivion by Quinn. Amazing drop off between him and Ryan Clady, as expected though.

http://i.minus.com/ibtf1yn6cqMwYg.gif[/ig][/QUOTE]

Yeah it is a little under thrown. I was confusing the "forced throw" with the throw into the EZ that Ogletree almost picked off, which was forced

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iEwbzVtDjQQ9f.gif

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
If he makes an extremely difficult throw that only a couple of QBs can make then yeah, the S is a non factor, but Ogletree squeezed that route well and he had help.

Manning had to drop a dime between 3 defenders. Not the same QB, all but a few fail to make that throw.

Three defenders? No, he only had to beat one with the throw. The safeties are nowhere, one's outside the freaking numbers and the other is 15 yards away. Finnegan is coming off of his man responsibility there, a good pass beats him easily. I'm sure Peyton Manning would agree with me. If he can't make that pass, he should just hang 'em up.

When I saw that play live, it looked like the ball popped out of his hand. Not a lot of velocity. That's why it appears like Finnegan could have mad a play there, but he shouldn't even be part of the equation.

Look at all that empty space behind him. I'm saying lead him up the field, not make him turn and fight for the ball.

Godslay

Banned
Three defenders? No, he only had to beat one with the throw. The safeties are nowhere, one's outside the freaking numbers and the other is 15 yards away. Finnegan is coming off of his man responsibility there, a good pass beats him easily. I'm sure Peyton Manning would agree with me. If he can't make that pass, he should just hang 'em up.

When I saw that play live, it looked like the ball popped out of his hand. Not a lot of velocity. That's why it appears like Finnegan could have mad a play there, but he shouldn't even be part of the equation.

But Peyton doesn't agree with you...

“I’m not sure I wouldn’t have thrown it 99 out of 100 times,” Manning said of the interception. “(Ogletree) made a pretty athletic play, he obviously has a pretty wide wingspan. I was surprised he was even able to get his hands on that ball. So, if we play the Rams again, I will remember that. But, I thought my decision to throw the ball was a good one. The ball might have been just a tad behind [TE] Julius Thomas. But, he made a pretty good play.”

Godslay

Banned
Look at all that empty space behind him. I'm saying lead him up the field, not make him turn and fight for the ball.

I think you are underestimating the ability of these guys to close. If he leads him up the field too much, I'm almost certain Finnegan closes on him. I think you are right, that he could have led him a bit more, and he even said so himself, but too much beyond that tad bit, and Finnegan makes the play.

Watch the gif, it's basically a split second between the time the ball is tipped and Finnegan is there. Finnegan actually decelerates when he sees the ball being tipped, and then makes the block.

Time to retire. Enjoy the golden years of geriatric Manning.

Well if this is any indication of how he will perform, I think I will.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I think you are underestimating the ability of these guys to close. If he leads him up the field too much, I'm almost certain Finnegan closes on him. I think you are right, that he could have led him a bit more, and he even said so himself, but too much beyond that tad bit, and Finnegan makes the play.

Watch the gif, it's basically a split second between the time the ball is tipped and Finnegan is there. Finnegan actually decelerates when he sees the ball being tipped, and then makes the block.

Sure, let's look at the evidence.

If that receiver gets the ball in stride, the only person who can tackle him is the ref. Maybe the safety on the other side is deep enough to get an angle on him. Maybe.

It was a great play by Ogletree, but even if he doesn't tip that ball, the play is going to be over right there because the receiver has already broken stride and had to turn around, allowing the defender to catch him.

So. Perfect ball = touchdown. Underthrown ball = 20 yard gain. Underthrown ball and leaping linebacker = interception.

Lunchbox

Banned
I agree. His daddy is slacking. What kind of shit dad buys his son a Costco Rolex and BMW (did not see an M on that 3 series)?

i stay true to local americana people as well. so when you see my 323i coming up with coldplay playing with a tag heuer hanging from the window and smelling like ck one you know im not as snobby as the other cunts in my area

i could tell my dad to get me an sls, a day&date submariner and smell like some shit italian cologne but that will make people afraid. staying humble makes me approachable and friendly instead of the snots that live around here, exampla- i still say thank you to the drive in lady at sonic and i didnt remove my eli manning esque friends from high school in facebook after i got my car

Talon

i stay true to local americana people as well. so when you see my 323i coming up with coldplay playing with a tag heuer hanging from the window and smelling like ck one you know im not as snobby as the other cunts in my area

i could tell my dad to get me an sls, a day&date submariner and smell like some shit italian cologne but that will make people afraid. staying humble makes me approachable and friendly instead of the snots that live around here, exampla- i still say thank you to the drive in lady at sonic and i didnt remove my eli manning esque friends from high school in facebook after i got my car
You've really fully invested in this character, Lunchbox.

Daniel Day-Lewis would be proud.

Hunter S.

On the Peyton interception.
To not over analyze, I think this rookie Alec Olgletree made a good play and is mostly an unknown as a rookie. Peyton could have thrown the ball a little higher, but as the announcer even said people did not know much on this rookie and that interception will cause more of a look at his ability to cover and intercept from now on.

bionic77

A 323?

Ewwww. You at least a 335 bro otherwise no point in getting the Bimmer. That 2.3 liter is one short step from those 318s people used to drive around back in the day.

LJ11

If he leads it up the field too far you don't think any other defender has a break on that ball? Slot corner already pealed off his man and was looking to pull off the heist. If the throw is more to the right the boundary safety may get there to at least put a hit on Thomas.

You're basically looking at an endzone still shot with no one moving and claiming the throw was easy money. Difficult throw, it need to be a great throw even with the boundary safety having widened more than he should have.

Boring Sunday if we're still talking about this, lol.

Godslay

Banned
Sure, let's look at the evidence.

If that receiver gets the ball in stride, the only person who can tackle him is the ref. Maybe the safety on the other side is deep enough to get an angle on him. Maybe.

It was a great play by Ogletree, but even if he doesn't tip that ball, the play is going to be over right there because the receiver has already broken stride and had to turn around, allowing the defender to catch him.

So. Perfect ball = touchdown. Underthrown ball = 20 yard gain. Underthrown ball and leaping linebacker = interception.

That all sounds great, but look at the speed and position of Finnegan when he correctly diagnoses the play. He closes within a second, watch the game clock that is conveniently included. You fail to notice that the gifs posted are slowed down considerably. Rewatch it at game speed. Finnegan is there if the ball is led out too much further.

Not to mention that the safety is still in position to make the play as he is closing from an upper left hand angle to the play (but would have little impact on the play until after a catch.) I sped up the gif to more accurately reflect game speed. If you don't believe me, time the clock in the gif with a timer. Keep in mind Finnegan is decelerating immediately after the ball is tipped.

i8bWcqg48TOQT.gif

Furthermore, this proves to me that he might not have a cannon, but his arm strength is much improved. This ball travels from about the 25 to just beyond the 35. So that's about a 40-43 yard throw that was slightly overthrown. Tight spiral that didn't hang in the air. As long as it holds up I'll take it.

imoZFvNiyVjm0.gif

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
If he leads it up the field too far you don't think any other defender has a break on that ball? Slot corner already pealed off his man and was looking to pull off the heist. If the throw is more to the right the boundary safety may get there to at least put a hit on Thomas.

You're basically looking at an endzone still shot with no one moving and claiming the throw was easy money. Difficult throw, it need to be a great throw even with the boundary safety having widened more than he should have.

Boring Sunday if we're still talking about this, lol.

There is only one defender within 15 yards when the ball gets there, those guys are fast, but they aren't that fast. It's Peyton Manning, he knows this better than I, which is why he said he'd throw that ball "99 out of 100 times".

Need something to talk about, I don't feel like vacuuming the house!

Godslay

Banned
pepe showing what a bum he is without Caldwell

theres a reason why he will end his career with a lonely superbowl against rex grossman

Not everyone can live the high life of speedboats, and asian hoes. You are like the midwest version of James Bond. A sweet beamer, speedboats, asian girls hitting on you, a McDonald's paycheck worth of $20s, armani pants, and a sweet vacation home. You must be like a god in Michigan.

squicken

Furthermore, this proves to me that he might not have a cannon, but his arm strength is much improved. This ball travels from about the 25 to just beyond the 35. So that's about a 40-43 yard throw that was slightly overthrown. Tight spiral that didn't hang in the air. As long as it holds up I'll take it.

imoZFvNiyVjm0.gif

Dunno what MacDonald is doing there. Can't imagine they want 3 people worrying about the TE and Jenkins 1v1 on D. Thomas

Top Bottom