• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Preseason/Training Camp thread - Doritos Locos

bionic77

Not true. I mean, even I learned how to drive manual.

Let me say the most un-German thing: I'm kind of jealous of your highway speed limits. When the Autobahn has 2 or 3 lanes, with trucks barely going 100 kph on the right and morons going 250 kph on the left, driving can get really stressful.

Whereas on US highways, with automatic transmission and cruise control and everyone going roughly the same speed (which means no one can surprise you coming from behind with excessive speed on the left lane when you want to pass someone), everything's so much more bearable.
The Autobahn does seem like it would get old after awhile.

80-85 MPH (not sure how that translates into your devil speeds) is the perfect speed for the highway in good weather.

P.S. Not sure Lunchbox's 120 HP 1.8 liter Bimmer can even reach 85 MPH.

Let me say the most un-German thing: I'm kind of jealous of your highway speed limits. When the Autobahn has 2 or 3 lanes, with trucks barely going 100 kph on the right and morons going 250 kph on the left, driving can get really stressful.

Whereas on US highways, with automatic transmission and cruise control and everyone going roughly the same speed (which means no one can surprise you coming from behind with excessive speed on the left lane when you want to pass someone), everything's so much more bearable.
That sounds so terrifying... If someone passes me on an interstate going 90 mph (145 kph, just for you) it feels like they are flying.

squicken

Panny Plasmas, Samsung LCDs. That combination has always served me well.

We have a Sammy LCD for our living room TV for movies and TV watching. The plasma is in the office and is really used just for gaming and football watching. Like DK said, it gets hot, and with a pretty decent PC going all out, the room gets balmy during a Houston summer

And prayers and appreciation to our UNC alumnus as he watches his team sacrificed to Clowney tonight

Milchjon

I drive a manual and I hate using cruise control. Most people don't enjoy driving a car.

I enjoy driving. I just don't enjoy the fact that others are around and if either I or they or our cars make a mistake, everyone's dead.

Give me an empty, curvy road across the countryside Where I don't endanger anyone but myself, and I love driving. Especially over here, where those have about the same speed limit as your highways.

bionic77

I drive a manual and I hate using cruise control. Most people don't enjoy driving a car.
Driving a manual gets really old in heavy traffic.

But yeah in general it is so much more fun to drive a manual. Weird how so few people in the states know how to drive manual though.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I enjoy driving. I just don't enjoy the fact that others are around and if either I or they or our cars make a mistake, everyone's dead.

Give me an empty, curvy road across the countryside Where I don't endanger anyone but myself, and I love driving. Especially over here, where those have about the same speed limit as your highways.

Dumb question, right or left side of the road?

brentech

Dumb question, right or left side of the road?

Right side. Basically only British colonies drive on the left, for the most part.

My latest car, 2012 VW GTI, I had to debate whether to stay with manual or not. I just couldn't give it up yet. Nice little 6 speed. I think this will be my last one though. They can be so fun to drive.
Didn't initially learn on one, but after about a year I did and have been driving one for about 14 years now.

Milchjon

Driving a manual gets really old in heavy traffic.

But yeah in general it is so much more fun to drive a manual. Weird how so few people in the states know how to drive manual though.

Since cars play such a big role in commute in the US, I bet about 80% of your driving is done in traffic. And like you said, manual in traffic/cities can get annoying.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Did you guys here that interview between Baltimore radio host and Denver radio hosts? Apparently the Denver guy went around defacing the Flacco banners, then comes on the radio and calls the Baltimore guy a douche and talks about all the crime in Baltimore, as you can imagine it goes downhill from there. Denver guy was salty as fuck.

Fuck plasmas. LED's are the way to go!

Come at me!

projector all the way. I want to upgrade from 105"? Easy, just buy a bigger screen. Replace the bulb and its like brand new, no burn in, no image retention.

Though if i were to get something else, plasma all the way.

Personally i'm concerned about weight, and burn in (and out, frankly).
As someone that's owned three Panasonic plasmas in the past 7 years (Currently own the VT55), burn-in a non-issue. Image retention is what people tend to confuse as burn-in and they are two different things. IR simply leaves a ghost image of something that may have been on the screen for an extended amount of time. This goes away very quickly. After the initial 200 hour break-in period, IR should be minimal and will dissipate even more quickly as you continue using the set.

As for heat, it depends on the model. Even the mid level Panasonic's don't create a huge amount of heat but they are definitely hotter than a typical LCD. The trade-off in picture quality makes it well worth it, IMO. The newer Panny plasmas get even nicer as time goes on once the phosphors settle. My TV today at nearly 1000 hours of use looks better than it did when I got it initially!

I'll admit my bias up front though as I have yet to find an LCD that remotely comes close to the picture quality a good plasma provides unless you're willing to spend upwards of 5K for the Sharp Elite sets, etc.

MechDX

Why oh why did I allow myself to be trolled by looking at John Clayton's QB rankings...

Matt Schaub top 10! Deal with it bitches!!! And he is considered in the "elite" class!

mattschaub-doublejerk.gif

bionic77

Since cars play such a big role in commute in the US, I bet about 80% of your driving is done in traffic. And like you said, manual in traffic/cities can get annoying.
Day to day I usually don't encounter a ton of traffic. I live in Allentown which is not a huge city.

I only have to deal with traffic when I go into Philly for work (which is reasonably often). Otherwise not much traffic other than construction/accidents.

Pennsylvania has really shitty highways though in general so they are constantly fixing them.

Greg

The Autobahn does seem like it would get old after awhile.

80-85 MPH (not sure how that translates into your devil speeds) is the perfect speed for the highway in good weather.

:jnc

Pennsylvania has really shitty highways though in general so they are constantly fixing them.
...and it doesn't seem to make a damned bit of difference either. It's funny driving in from Maryland to PA. The minute the road changes you know you're in PA.

Fuck plasmas. LED's are the way to go!

Come at me!
You probably watch movies with that 120hz interpolation shit turned on, too don't you? :)

squicken

Matt Schaub top 10! Deal with it bitches!!! And he is considered in the "elite" class!

http://www.scoffball.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/mattschaub-doublejerk.gif[/ig][/QUOTE]

He was really good in 2009 when the running game was crap. Always makes you wonder what he could do if Kubiak let them be more aggressive

MechDX

...and it doesn't seem to make a damned bit of difference either. It's funny driving in from Maryland to PA. The minute the road changes you know you're in PA.

You probably watch movies with that 120hz interpolation shit turned on, too don't you? :)

On my old 55" Sony SXRD, yes I did, but not on my 60" Sharp Aquos LED. After about a month though when using 120hz you get used to it and you actually start missing it when you watch other TV's.

bionic77

My sister loves that garbage on her cheapo Sams Club LCD tv.

And yeah the highways in PA suck balls. Supposedly it is because we are the first to do everything in this country and when we built our highways way, way back in the day we built too many small shitty highways because that was awesome back in 1930 when no one had a car, but it doesn't translate well today when even poors like Gata and SNES can afford a car or two.

On my old LCOS 55" Sony, yes I did, but not on my 60" Sharp Aquos LED. After about a month though when using 120hz you get used to it and you actually start missing it when you watch other TV's.
My sister has the same shitty tv.

:lol

effzee

We are in the same boat. That plus twins means Mr. and Mrs. bionic went a little bit crazy. But you will make it through.

Eff JNC's advice about making the baby sleep in their own room is very smart. As a first parent if you don't have a mom around the hardest thing is not knowing what the fuck you are doing. You should enjoy the first 6 months as they are cake, especially if your kid is a good sleeper, but you won't and you will worry about dumb shit that doesn't matter like big turds or any small change.

Also get your kids on real solids as quickly as possible. Life is much easier once your kid is eating table food. Try to avoid baby food. It's easier at first but a bigger pain later. That's usually a good rule of thumb for being a parent.

Solids only after 6 months though right?

MechDX

My sister loves that garbage on her cheapo Sams Club LCD tv.

And yeah the highways in PA suck balls. Supposedly it is because we are the first to do everything in this country and when we built our highways way, way back in the day we built too many small shitty highways because that was awesome back in 1930 when no one had a car, but it doesn't translate well today when even poors like Gata and SNES can afford a car or two.

My sister has the same shitty tv.

:lol

Many different models of Sharp TVs. I would bet she has the entry level 60" which is quite popular. Something 64U..

There is a big difference between Sharp and Sharp Aquos.

The biggest problem I have with LED LCD's (even bigger than everything Future said which I agree with entirely), or at least the sets I've owned, is input lag. I had a Samsung LED LCD at one point that had an unbearable amount of input lag in games regardless of much much I tweaked the settings (and trust me, I tried everything known to man and avsforum). Any game that required quick reflex inputs like shooters or racing games was borderline unplayable, and even stuff like platformers just felt a little off.

After that experience input lag became one of the most important factors to me when picking up a new TV, and that was part of the reason why I made the switch to a Panny plasma. As it turns out they are the better TV's anyway so I guess it was a win-win!

bionic77

Solids only after 6 months though right?
I would be lying if I said I remember with the kind of accuracy you need for something like this kind of thing. I am so fucking busy I barely remember what day of the week it is and I am happy if I get out of the door with matching socks and clean underwear.

That sounds right though. I seem to recall mashing up everything (actually the wife did pretty much all of the mashing, but I interjected myself in there anyways) and jamming it in their mouth around that time frame. It is a bigger pain than just sticking store bought food in their mouth, but trust me when I say it will pay huge dividends a year on and later down the road. Our kids eat everything we do so it is not that hard to take them to a restaurant, other than the fights that start 10 minutes into every mean. The downside is that the spicy fried chicken I love does not last as long as it used to. Growing kids eat a lot more than you would think!

Also do your absolute best to keep sick people away from your baby in the first 6 months. Make anyone who wants to pick up the baby wash their hands. Young babies getting sick is the worst. And like Jakncoke or whoever said, try to be disciplined and keep the baby out of the bed. Once they get in it is hard to get them out. Again, it is harder to start out that way, but it pays off big in the end.

Many different models of Sharp TVs. I would bet she has the entry level 60" which is quite popular. Something 64U..

There is a big difference between Sharp and Sharp Aquos.
I don't know what model number, but it is an Aquos they got from Sams Club. And it is garbo. They love it though because it is brighter than most stars and they don't really give a fuck about accurate colors or smooth motion. I mean they turn on that smoothmotion or whatever the fuck it is and tell me how much better it looks.

Milchjon

Also do your absolute best to keep sick people away from your baby in the first 6 months. Make anyone who wants to pick up the baby wash their hands. Young babies getting sick is the worst. And like Jakncoke or whoever said, try to be disciplined and keep the baby out of the bed. Once they get in it is hard to get them out. Again, it is harder to start out that way, but it pays off big in the end.

I thought it was actually dangerous for the baby to sleep in the same bed?

bionic77

I thought it was actually dangerous for the baby to sleep in the same bed?
They have these sleeping pads and shit so you can put them in the middle, if I recall correctly.

It saves you from getting up in the middle of the night and walking to the crib, but once they know they can sleep next to you they will never want to sleep alone until probably their 13th birthday (I think that is what happened to Gata).

Bread

Banned
They have these sleeping pads and shit so you can put them in the middle, if I recall correctly.

It saves you from getting up in the middle of the night and walking to the crib, but once they know they can sleep next to you they will never want to sleep alone until probably their 13th birthday (I think that is what happened to Gata).
wait gata turned 13!? i must have missed his birthday

brentech

that interpolation or 'trumotion' makes me nauseated. can't stand it, never use it on my own TVs. we were watching a movie at a friends house once and they fucking loved it. I had such a crushing headache by the end.

:jnc

Some people enjoy co-sleeping with their child and have no problems with that dependency being there. It depends on the make-up of the parent.

Personally? I agree with what's been said. The quicker you get that baby sleeping in its own crib with the fewest amount of dependencies, the quicker they will be sleeping through the night. Each kid is different of course but if yours is fussy as hell and has trouble, I'd highly recommend some form of sleep training once they're past the 6-7 month stage and don't require feeding at night. I sleep trained my youngest at the 8 month mark when she started having some problems getting to sleep on her own.

That's thing about babies that you need to remember. Don't get used to routine. The kid will inevitably throw a big fucking monkey wrench into it, anyways. You're kid may sleep fine from months 3-6 and you'll feel like "yeah this isn't so bad" and they'll fuck you right up by waking up every hour on the hour for months 7-8 when they start teething and walking and developing a personality. It's frustrating.:D

that interpolation or 'trumotion' makes me nauseated. can't stand it, never use it on my own TVs. we were watching a movie at a friends house once and they fucking loved it. I had such a crushing headache by the end.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

yea that shut is awful. Makes me nauseated as well.

Got daaaammmnnn

Just played some soccer and I'm sure I'm the new Cristiano Ronaldo. The control, the speed, I have it all. No injuries this time, so I'm good.

On my old 55" Sony SXRD, yes I did, but not on my 60" Sharp Aquos LED. After about a month though when using 120hz you get used to it and you actually start missing it when you watch other TV's.

Yeah my current tv does the 120hz truemotion but I really want to get a TV that does it at 240hz. I love that effect.

I agree about the 80, but I got popped for going 80 on the turnpike down to Philly two years ago, my first ever speeding ticket in 23 years of driving. Boy did that piss me off. Anyway, from now on, I slap the cruise on at about 73 and leave it at that. Fuck the staties. And the upstate NY troopers are even worse, they line I-81 like they're waiting for the fucking Bandit to come driving through.

Top Bottom