• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Preseason/Training Camp thread - Doritos Locos

Cards cut 13:

They also released the following 13 players, getting the roster to 61 in advance of tomorrow’s deadline to reach 53: Defensive tackle David Carter, safety Jonathon Amaya, guard Chilo Rachal, safety Curtis Taylor, wide receiver Mike Thomas, wide receiver Charles Hawkins, center Adam Bice, wide receiver Dan Buckner, tight end Alex Gottlieb, guard Senio Kelemete, linebacker Zack Nash, linebacker Colin Parker and tight end Richard Quinn.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/30/cardinals-put-jonathan-cooper-on-ir-cut-13/

They placed their first rounder Jonathan Cooper on IR ending his season. Tough loss for them.

Pretty inspirational story about Saintcognito over on NFL.com:

http://www.nfl.com/incognito

On the Sunday morning after Miami’s recent preseason game against the Houston Texans, Dolphins coach Joe Philbin pulled his players into the team's main auditorium and started a meeting by projecting a play onto the big screen in the front of the room.

The play has since drawn national headlines: Texans defensive end Antonio Smith, apparently antagonized by Incognito’s relentless needling, ripped off Incognito’s helmet and swung it at his head.

“This is how you respond to this situation,” said Philbin, rewinding and replaying the moment over and over to show Incognito’s passive reaction. “We have to keep our composure and not retaliate.”

Multiple players say Philbin was fired up during that meeting, proud of Incognito and center Mike Pouncey for walking away from a provocative situation that later resulted in a three-game suspension for Smith.

In a watershed sense, this was validation of Incognito’s turnaround: He walked away from something that, in the past, would have surely sucked him in.

And yet, in 2012, three seasons after the Sporting News gave him that distinction, Incognito's peers voted him into his first Pro Bowl. He also received a share of the "Good Guy" award -- splitting it with Reggie Bush -- given to the Dolphins' most cooperative player, as voted on by members of the local media. Since 2010, he has committed just two unnecessary roughness penalties -- tied for 19th with 37 other players.

"I'm definitely not a choir boy," Incognito said. "You know, I'm definitely not healed, and I'm not saying that I don't make mistakes. But from where I was to where I am now, I mean, it's night and day. And it's something that, you know, I hope people can respect about me."

"I made a lot of mistakes," Incognito said. "I made a ton of mistakes. And I was really hard on myself, and I've learned from them. I've used those mistakes to motivate me and to take me to new heights."

saintcognito.png

At least there are still some role models left in the NFL.

bionic77

Why did Clark get banned?

And was he really SNES?

edit: don't answer the 2nd question if it will get him in trouble assuming he is coming back.

For those watching Hard Knocks:

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet 6m

NFL: #Bengals DE DeQuin Evans is suspended 8 games for violation of NFL's performing-enhancing substances policy.

Bubble player from Compton who talked about being a single mom, raising kids with no food is harder than playing football. Then went on to suck in the preseason game this past episode. Easy cut for the Bengals.

JABEE

Bubble player from Compton who talked about being a single mom, raising kids with no food is harder than playing football. Then went on to suck in the preseason game this past episode. Easy cut for the Bengals.
He was suspended before in 2011 too.

eznark

Banned

He's a single mom?

Yeah thats what I remember from the whole thing as well. He didn't see to be into games as much as SNES.

Also only 6 days until real football. Gonna be sooooooo good (or bad). Can't wait.

The first game of the season includes the Ravens so it technically doesn't count. Football next Sunday!

Steelers at home vs. Titans. If we win people will have false hope. If we lose then 5-11
because this was one of the six games I thought we could win when we go 6-10

Bowser

Wow. Is this something new? I didn't see anything in the news about Cooper being hurt.

This is a huge loss for them.

He broke his leg in the third preseason game. There was some hope he'd be able to return for the last month or so of the season, but clearly that's not happening now.

Colasante

Ryan Mallett's performance last night is drawing rave reviews around the NFL. "Poised in his progressions" and manipulated the S on Boyce TD... While his bad throws get alot of attention. The word around the league is Ryan Mallett has improved his stock with his preseason performance

The dream isn't dead! You know you want him, Cleveland.

MechDX

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli 30 Aug

Ed Reed is coming off PUP. Kubiak said he'll make a decision about whether Reed will play early next week. #Texans

Glad BLarry and Ravens Age had me prepared. Texans fans were losing their shit about reed and I kept telling them "Ed being Ed". Tip of the hat.

Vick set to emerge from bankruptcy:

Michael Vick has accomplished much since his release from prison four years ago.

He is now ready to scratch another goal off his list: He will soon emerge from bankruptcy, having made arrangements to pay back the last of nearly $20 million in debts to dozens of creditors.

It is an unusual accomplishment in bankruptcy circles to fully repay debts in a Chapter 11 case, according to legal experts, and Vick’s case was anything but usual.

The Newport News native and starting Philadelphia Eagles quarterback spoke to The Virginian-Pilot of Norfolk this week from training camp. He said he was looking forward to finally putting an end to the last chapter of a period of his life that he remains contrite about.

“It was a problem life dealt me,” he said of having to file for bankruptcy before heading off to prison for his federal dog-fighting conviction. His case is pending in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Norfolk.

“The most important thing to me was just to get myself back to doing what I love to do: play football,” he said. “I was blessed to be able to come out of prison and get my body in shape to play.”

Vick’s bankruptcy case will end in the coming months despite his having to restructure his contract with the Eagles, a deal that shaved millions from his income.

He’s due to make a minimum of $7 million as starting quarterback. He also renewed an endorsement deal with Nike for an undisclosed sum and has other endorsement income as well.

“You can’t take something from somebody and not replace it,” Vick said.

“I had obligations and responsibilities that I had to take care of. Through the success I’ve had over the last four years, I could take care of those issues.

“It was one of my goals,” he added.

I cant believe he still acts like life did this to him. It will be so wonderful when either Barkely or a new QBs takes over the Eagles starting QB job.

Fantomex

No news on Dolphin cuts yet huh? I'm not expecting very many surprises, if anything keeping Delvin would be pretty surprising.

I'm pretty sure the only surprising cut will either be Gray to the practice squad, or maybe letting Devlin have a chance to be #2 on another team.

Nakazato

Glad BLarry and Ravens Age had me prepared. Texans fans were losing their shit about reed and I kept telling them "Ed being Ed". Tip of the hat.

yep and next year he will think about retirement or say the Texas are disrespecting him for now giving him more money. You just learn to live with it Ed being Ed

Top Bottom