• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Preseason/Training Camp thread - Doritos Locos

ChanHuk

Banned
I am going to become a hermit crab and stay in until Breaking Bad is done, by then football will be in full swing and I can watch all of Breaking Bad.

Any of y'all watch Hell on Wheels?

Hunter S.

I am going to become a hermit crab and stay in until Breaking Bad is done, by then football will be in full swing and I can watch all of Breaking Bad.

Any of y'all watch Hell on Wheels?
I hate waiting weekly for shows. Going to watch BB in mass on Netflix when it is done since there already coming out on it.

cdyhybrid

lol who on AZ is going to stop him? patrick peterson? i still don't know how he gets the accolades he gets. i will admit i only watch 2 full cardinals games per year but he has been destroyed repeatedly by our receivers..... and i don't consider us to have had great receivers in the past few years.

People see him on punt return highlights and think that automatically means he's also a good defensive player.

People see him on punt return highlights and think that automatically means he's also a good defensive player.

reminds me of last year on TNF when amendola got a long gain or a TD on him or something and mayock says "amendola just beat one of the best CB's in our game today" and i said what the FUCK?

patrick peterson isn't a top 5 CB in the NFC west, let alone the league

I hate waiting weekly for shows. Going to watch BB in mass on Netflix when it is done since there already coming out on it.

that's why i love netflix original shows (because all episodes are put online immediately, no wait). house of cards and orange is the new black were incredible. check both of those out if you haven't. arrested development season 4 is pretty awful. i'm 9 episodes through and i don't know if i care to go through anymore.... and i loved the series!

Hunter S.

that's why i love netflix original shows (because all episodes are put online immediately, no wait). house of cards and orange is the new black were incredible. check both of those out if you haven't. arrested development season 4 is pretty awful. i'm 9 episodes through and i don't know if i care to go through anymore.... and i loved the series!

I pissed of f a bunch of people giving my opinion on Orange is the new Black. The GF watched it all already. I actually like Hemlock Grove despite hating most modern vampire type shows. I might ceck out house of cards as I like Netflix shows in that they are not afraid to step beyond what basic network telivision is willing to do. I am actually surprised.

Striker

Yeah, he killed Linval Joseph. Just no contest at all.
It's strange when the best DL on that day for NY was Cullen Jenkins, who was playing DE, and Shaun Rogers. Joseph was getting mauled and Kiwanuka took some awful angles to lead easy running room for LSH. I have little hope for a 100% Tuck, and JPP is probably ways to go from being ready.

The linebacking crew, ugh. I'm still unsure who is ready for the three spots,although I'm sure Fewell will be looking at 3-safety looks often once again. I'm seeing Dan Connor easily taking the MLB spot over Mark Herzlich, and Keith Rivers or Aaron Curry taking the SLB job. Jacquain Williams will be a nickel LB. The third S will be Mundy or Sash, whoever plays better in these next few games. Sash was really active vs. PIT and seemed to improve over last year. Safety coach Dave Merritt really likes Mundy, though.

sonicmj1

Hard to tell what will be worse this year: the Giants run defense, or the Giants run offense.

I miss having a viable running game.

Striker

Kind of wish they pushed signing Vonta Leach a little more. Not big on Pascoe at FB. Hopefully Hyno's back soon, but I suspect he'll be gone until Week 6.

Hard to tell what will be worse this year: the Giants run defense, or the Giants run offense.

I miss having a viable running game.

My guess is the former. If the Steelers o-line blew them off the ball, competent zone run teams are going to slaughter them. Washington especially will eat them alive.

It's strange when the best DL on that day for NY was Cullen Jenkins, who was playing DE, and Shaun Rogers. Joseph was getting mauled and Kiwanuka took some awful angles to lead easy running room for LSH. I have little hope for a 100% Tuck, and JPP is probably ways to go from being ready.

The linebacking crew, ugh. I'm still unsure who is ready for the three spots,although I'm sure Fewell will be looking at 3-safety looks often once again. I'm seeing Dan Connor easily taking the MLB spot over Mark Herzlich, and Keith Rivers or Aaron Curry taking the SLB job. Jacquain Williams will be a nickel LB. The third S will be Mundy or Sash, whoever plays better in these next few games. Sash was really active vs. PIT and seemed to improve over last year. Safety coach Dave Merritt really likes Mundy, though.

Mundy is an amazing physical specimen. It's his mental errors that kill him. Dude was a penalty machine at Pitt.

Milchjon

I never asked myself this, if a receiver fumbles after a catch, how does it count against the QB's stats? Completion + the yards until the fumble?

eznark

Banned
The guy who runs PFF said the same thing as well. Would be really cool to finally have a good offense

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CookJa02.htm

Bullshit they don't know why he didn't more balls. He was a lazy player who drifts all over the field and can't find holes in zones. It's one of the reasons the Titans struggled so much with whether or not to tag him despite having no one else to really use it on. He is basically Viscante Shiancoe. He has a fair bit of talent but will never be able to sustain that because he seems to give no fucks. Like VS though, he could have a few solid years. Or maybe Jeff Fischer will be the guy to light that fire!......oh wait

squicken

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CookJa02.htm

Bullshit they don't know why he didn't more balls. He was a lazy player who drifts all over the field and can't find holes in zones. It's one of the reasons the Titans struggled so much with whether or not to tag him despite having no one else to really use it on. He is basically Viscante Shiancoe. He has a fair bit of talent but will never be able to sustain that because he seems to give no fucks. Like VS though, he could have a few solid years. Or maybe Jeff Fischer will be the guy to light that fire!......oh wait

Yeah it's a bit disingenuous. I really was not familiar with him (telling since I've seen most TEN games vs IND and HOU) when the Rams started pursuing him. I've never really read the effort stuff. It's been more that he doesn't play to his size. Doesn't catch contested balls and can't block.

It's preseason and I will hold out hope that a change of scenery is what he needed!

Yeah it's a bit disingenuous. I really was not familiar with him (telling since I've seen most TEN games vs IND and HOU) when the Rams started pursuing him. I've never really read the effort stuff. It's been more that he doesn't play to his size. Doesn't catch contested balls and can't block.

Sounds like bad effort to me.

eznark

Banned

It's preseason and I will hold out hope that a change of scenery is what he needed!

I've never really read the effort stuff.

he doesn't play to his size. Doesn't catch contested balls and can't block.

lol

Bowser

I pissed of f a bunch of people giving my opinion on Orange is the new Black. The GF watched it all already. I actually like Hemlock Grove despite hating most modern vampire type shows. I might ceck out house of cards as I like Netflix shows in that they are not afraid to step beyond what basic network telivision is willing to do. I am actually surprised.

Haven't gotten around to Orange is the New Black, but House of Cards was fucking awesome. I needs me some Season 2, like, now.

bionic77

Can you survive long in the NFL on just talent alone?

Effort seems to win out over talent almost every time in my book. A no talent guy like Hines Ward was so much more productive than 99% of the receivers who came into the league at the same time who were faster and more athletic.

eznark

Banned

Effort seems to win out over talent almost every time in my book. A no talent guy like Hines Ward was so much more productive than 99% of the receivers who came into the league at the same time who were faster and more athletic.

At least 30% of all wide outs are pure talent, no giveafuck guys. Also:

i8bhIzAwKZDXo.gif

I know you're not gonna want to hear this, but this is the Pats up and down. low talent high effort guys who are perrennial playoff contenders.

squicken

Y'all aren't ruing my positive vibes! I'm blaming the dysfunctional state of the titans organization.

1. I think this was the thing that piqued my interest from a couple of weekend conversations with Gil Brandt at the Rams and Chiefs: I asked him what teams surprised him the most, in a good way, on his camp tour across America for Sirius XM NFL Radio. “Arizona,” he said. I’m hearing that out here on the trail. It’s got extra currency when Brandt says it.

This is kind of something to watch. Lots of people are seeing their camp and are surprised at how good they look. As much as we dog Arians he did get a lot out of a bad Colts team last year, easy schedule and all

eznark

Banned
What do you think I meant by "schemes"

This is kind of something to watch. Lots of people are seeing their camp and are surprised at how good they look. As much as we dog Arians he did get a lot out of a bad Colts team last year, easy schedule and all

He just needs someone to get cancer so he can exploit the fuck out of it.

So i'm rewatching Steelers Giants..

I don't know much about zone blocking, but aren't the linemen supposed to cut block on the backside? Not seeing it at all with the few outside zone plays they ran.

Talon

So i'm rewatching Steelers Giants..

I don't know much about zone blocking, but aren't the linemen supposed to cut block on the backside? Not seeing it at all with the few outside zone plays they ran.
They generally do in the pro level - at least the way Alex Gibbs ran it. I know at the college level that some teams make the decision to not block the backside so they have an extra blocker, but presumably that's a bit of a risky calculus at this level.

LJ11

Teams don't block the backside on a zone run at the NFL level quite often, hence the bootleg rollout to keep the end honest. It was basically the NFL version of a zone read, except it was predetermined.

Milchjon

Brady totally trying to make Wes jealous:

Brady said he and Amendola have had “constant communication.”

“It’s been really fun. … He and I have had a lot of conversations about football,” Brady said. “We’ve seen games together. It’s just been constant communication between the two of us. You really need to be able to anticipate what each other is going to do.”

Also

Brady also said his body feels better now at 36 than he did at 27.

“The biggest difference is I feel better now than I used to feel. That’s the encouraging part,” he said. “I don’t buy into the fact that as you get older you’re just going to have to feel crappy for the rest of your life. I try to live my life, take what I’ve lived over the years, apply that to my everyday living so that I can wake up, feel good in the morning and be excited about going to work.”

“It’s really a lifestyle decision. There’s certain steps that work for me. Hopefully I’ll be able to contribute that at some point to some other athletes and younger players. That’s actually something I feel really strongly about, because I do see so many athletes that say the exact same thing that you just said: ‘I’m older so I’m going to start feeling like crap.’ I haven’t had that experience. I’d love to be able to share that message with other people as well.”

Thanks Tom, I needed that.

My guess is the former. If the Steelers o-line blew them off the ball, competent zone run teams are going to slaughter them. Washington especially will eat them alive.
Yeah, I mentioned that earlier in my thoughts on the game. Both games last year weren't so much about RGIII to me as they were about Alfred Morris and that offensive line dominating the game. Even still in that second game, the defense gave up a whole whopping 17 points. We lost that game on offense, IMO. More specifically an inability to execute in the red zone because we moved the ball up and down the field between the 20's all game long.

The more concerning thing to me in the preseason game was the inability to convert that punt block into a touchdown. We had some serious red zone issues last season that have to be worked out. There were so many games where we just allowed opponents to hang around. The second Cowboys game is a perfect example. Romo threw pick after pick in that game gifting us incredible field position and we came away with barely 20 points out of it. That game should have been a blowout.

Snap counts for the presason game by the way:

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/...find_out_how_many_snaps_each_player_took.html

Marvin Austin, Brandon Mosely and Demontre Moore took a hefty amount of snaps.

bionic77

Brady totally trying to make Wes jealous:

Also

Thanks Tom, I needed that.
:lol

What else is she going to say? Everyone feels better than ever every year before the season starts! Even when players show up with huge guts they spin it as saying that this is the first year they gave their body a break and they feel better than ever! And every qb is always on the same page as their new receivers.

What you should be worried about as a Pats fan is menopause. Tom's lady parts are a ticking time bomb. I guess they can get him some kind of hormone therapy, but I don't know how much it will help.

Top Bottom