• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Preseason/Training Camp thread - Doritos Locos

i don't feel like getting washed away in the ocean that is the SMTIV thread but for those of you who've done it, how did you beat medusa? i must have tried 10+ times, even leveld up a bit more, and this fucking cunt keeps trashing me.

the problem is she causes paralysis or whatever its called so after she hits me with the multifang it usually makes 2-3 of my guys worthless the next round. then she gets another free swipe at my paralyzed guys and i'm dead!

i dont really feel like tracking all the way back into town to find an armor that is resistant to that. surely there is a better way!

BRgfgkOCEAAdwTP.jpg

There's one home owner who is going to be super pissed after they have to change the name of the team to the Washington Indigenous Peoples.

i don't feel like getting washed away in the ocean that is the SMTIV thread but for those of you who've done it, how did you beat medusa? i must have tried 10+ times, even leveld up a bit more, and this fucking cunt keeps trashing me.

the problem is she causes paralysis or whatever its called so after she hits me with the multifang it usually makes 2-3 of my guys worthless the next round. then she gets another free swipe at my paralyzed guys and i'm dead!

i dont really feel like tracking all the way back into town to find an armor that is resistant to that. surely there is a better way!
It's been awhile but I think I remember reading somewhere that there is a free DLC armor that will make your main character resistant to lightning. I didn't use it but I'm sure it would come in handy on Medusa.

From what I've seen of this game it really doesn't seem to be about levels, more preparation and team composition. Try to get some guys that have buffs/debuffs (+hit/evade is great) and guys that are resistant to lightning, and don't use anyone that's weak to lightning. Also, her weakness is Zan so do whatever you can to get/fuse some demons that have that and just spam the heck out of it.

I'll be honest, there is some luck involved with that fight so even if you do that stuff it could take awhile. To be honest in the 30 hours I've played Medusa was the hardest boss for me. The game has a backwards difficulty curve, haha.

MechDX

TD? Sure, but he was the best in that system. No one has come close to him since then.

Really though, every player is a system player if you think about it. Even QBs. They are all part of a system in one way or another.

Just messin with ya. Someone from Steelers age loves to rag on Foster and claim how he is a "system RB". To which my answer is the same as yours.

T.J. Yates ‏@TJ_Yates 57m
Johnny Hancock R
T @darrenrovell: BREAKING: Sources say Manziel signed 4,400+ autographs for 3 brokers in 3 states in less than a month

That's my QB.

What to watch for 2013-14: 13-time World Champion Green Bay Packers

Offense
Overview: The narrative is that the Packers, fresh off being laughed out of the playoffs two years in a row, had a "come to Jesus" moment this offseason. Pushed around by the Giants and 49ers to the combined tune of 999 yards and 82 points allowed in their last two playoff losses, the Packers are now dead-set on becoming a more physical team. So they're going to run the football more. Will this cunning strategy pay off?

Quarterback: In his 6th season as a starter and 9th season overall, Aaron Rodgers is in his prime and, at least at the moment, the undisputed best QB in football. Despite the alleged importance of the run game, the offense will go as he goes. If Rodgers gets hurt, the Packers are screwed, but just the same his backups are Graham Harrell, the soon-to-be-practice-squad'd B.J. Coleman, and VINCE YOUNG!!! The last 3 pre-season games will tell the tale for Young, who was brought in during the final week of training camp and will most likely contribute to the team only as a scout team option QB.

Running back: DuJuan Harris. Eddie Lacy. James Starks. Johnathan Franklin. Alex Green. Angelo Pease. One of the first three will start, one of the last two will likely be cut. None of Harris, Starks, and Green have demonstrated any ability to stay healthy. Lacy is a power back, Harris has quickness, Franklin has show promise as a 3rd down back, and Starks falls forward with power and grace. The Packers will still pass on 3rd and 1.

Full back: He won't contribute anything positive, but John Kuhn will stay on the roster so McCarthy can call his favorite play (FB dive for 1 yard) twice a game and infuriate Packer fans everywhere.

Wide receiver: Greg Jennings is gone -- as he was most of last year. Randall Cobb, James Jones, and Jordy Nelson look to make his loss largely irrelevant -- as they did for most of last year. As usual, there are a laundry list of obscure, talented young WRs fighting for the remaining roster spots. One of them will be a superstar, but which one?

Tight end: It's always been mental with him, but Jermichael Finley is in a contract year and the best shape of his life. He feels like the injuries are behind him, and has been working on being less of a detriment to team chemistry all offseason. So after he blows out his knee, expect DJ Williams to step in to fill the crucial role of "Packers Tight End who drops passes". Otherwise, the team seems to be shifting to a more run-blocking focused approach at this position than in years past (this my way of saying I have no idea who most of these backups are)

Offensive line: Josh Sitton and TJ Lang will hold down the fort at guard, and center Evan Dietrich-Smith will untie the sh*t out of Ndamukong Suh's shoelaces. At starting right tackle, it's a battle between Marshal "I block my guy most of the time" Newhouse, and surprise run-blocking powerhouse Don Barclay. At left tackle, Brian Bulaga is already out for the season, but luckily rookie 4th rounder David Bakhtiari is waiting in the wings! Bakhtiari will be one of the biggest stories of the Packers' season as long as he's in the lineup, both from a "will Aaron Rodgers survive?" perspective and a "will anyone figure out how to spell his name without copy/paste?" one.

Defense
Overview: 3-4, but majority of snaps will be in a 4-2 nickel with OLBs as edge rushers. The Packers did a solid job of cleaning up their weaknesses against the pass last year, and despite injuries sidelining Desmond Bishop and Charles Woodson for most of the year looked to be coming together nicely for a playoff run. They then gave up 300+ yards rushing to Colin Kaepernick and the quasi-read option. They responded by releasing the guys that were hurt and going to Texas A&M to study said read option. Will this cunning strategy pay off?

Nickel back: Last year was a transition year for the Packer defense, as rookie Casey Hayward slid into Woodson's role as slot cornerback. This is the key position in Dom Capers' system, and Hayward's ability to stay healthy and make smart, quick decisions will play a big role in deciding whether the defense regains anything close to their 2010 world championship form. No sarcasm, he's pretty good!

Corner back: Tramon Williams, Sam Shields, Davon House, and the aforementioned Hayward make for a strong squad of covermen. The biggest question with this group is health. The second biggest question is whether or not Tramon Williams will ever stand his ground in the running game again. The third biggest question is whether the team now has enough depth at this position to finally cut Jarrett Bush.

Safety: Morgan Burnett was signed to an extension in the offseason, presumably on the theory that having one decent safety in the hand is better than two good ones in the bush. Opposite Burnett, M.D. Jennings (of Touchdownterception fame) and Jerron McMillian are duking it out for the strong safety spot. McMillian is a heat-seeking missile, and for a defense that's lacked meanness over the past two years he's probably the best fit.

Inside linebacker: Desmond Bishop was cut, because who needs a good inside linebacker when you don't have any? Anyway, A.J. Hawk and Brad Jones are the starters. Hawk is adequate, Jones is unproven but potentially adequate. They're backed up by a jumble of warm bodies.

Outside linebacker: Clay Matthews is the high-motor star of the defense. Opposite him will be -- hopefully -- 2012 1st round selection Nick Perry, who after being invisible on the field for a couple weeks in his rookie season, became invisible off of it after suffering a season ending wrist injury. The Packers had some success with UDFA Dezman Moses last year as Perry's replacement. Moses is still here, as is fellow backup Andy Mulumba, who appears to be the 2013 model.

Defensive line: 2013 1st round pick defensive end Datone Jones will be asked to win some battles for a d-line that doesn't win many. In the nickel, he and the flaky B.J. Raji will take most of the snaps as the two lone (3-tech) linemen. In 'base' 3-4, Jones and Raji will move out to the 5-tech and the ageless Ryan Pickett will seek to hold down the fort inside for his 13th season. High-effort mediocrity backs up this threesome: Mike Daniels, C.J. Wilson, Mike Neal, and Mr Purple Drank Johnny Jolly back from a stay in the big house.

Special Teams
Tim Mastay will crush the balls out of the ball on punts, and fan-tormentor Mason Crosby may finally be cut in favor of rookie Giorgio Tavecchio. Starting WR Randall Cobb will begrudgingly handle punt returns until someone else proves worthy of the task.
Nice write up

MechDX

I said it once, and you got extremely pissy about it.

I've read it more than once here. Arian doesn't need people questioning his ability. He puts so much time into keeping frogs safe, perfecting his pterodactyl language understanding and keeping anti awesomeness out of his body.

damn I miss Arain on Twitter

Godslay

Banned
Just messin with ya. Someone from Steelers age loves to rag on Foster and claim how he is a "system RB". To which my answer is the same as yours.

If they can produce 1000 yard rushers with regularity, I'd take it. Watch some of the breakdowns that Alex Gibbs does on his and others systems, the guy knows his shit.

I've read it more than once here. Arian doesn't need people questioning his ability. He puts so much time into keeping frogs safe, perfecting his pterodactyl language understanding and keeping anti awesomeness out of his body.

damn I miss Arain on Twitter

Didnt he run over a frog?

MechDX

If they can produce 1000 yard rushers with regularity, I'd take it. Watch some of the breakdowns that Alex Gibbs does on his and others systems, the guy knows his shit.

I was watching our rookie RB's on Friday and saw some of them struggle with the "one cut only" rule. Arian just looks so damn fluid when running and making that one cut and then going.

We have 3 good looking UDFA RB's on the roster right now that all looked pretty good on Friday but only one will make it. Who else runs the zone blocking scheme now? Us and the Redskins I know of but who else?

Didnt he run over a frog?

And he felt terrible about it! It may have been one of your distant relatives.

Godslay

Banned
I was watching our rookie RB's on Friday and saw some of them struggle with the "one cut only" rule. Arian just looks so damn fluid when running and making that one cut and then going.

We have 3 good looking UDFA RB's on the roster right now that all looked pretty good on Friday but only one will make it. Who else runs the zone blocking scheme now? Us and the Redskins I know of but who else?

And he felt terrible about it! It may have been one of your distant relatives.

We are working it back in. They rehired Gibbs. Honestly the only person I've seen with the good cut is CJ Anderson. Everyone else has been so so in it. I'm hoping Montee Ball starts to show up because iirc they used zbs in Wisconsin.

As far as NFL teams, here's what I found:

2006-Present: Green Bay Packers
2006-Present: Houston Texans
2010-Present: Seattle Seahawks
2010-Present: Washington Redskins
2012-2012: Oakland Raiders
2012-Present: Miami Dolphins
2013-Present: Jacksonville Jaguars

Falcons used to but don't anymore apparently.

Talon

We haven't used zone blocking since 2007.

Gibbs was with us from 2004 to 2006. Those were the Dunn and Duckett years when they were a pretty effective duo. Of course, Greg Knapp was there fucking up everyone. And Mike Vick didn't care about anything outside of ridiculous scrambles, ganja, and expanding the Korean food supply.

MechDX

We haven't used zone blocking since 2007.

Gibbs was with us from 2004 to 2006. Those were the Dunn and Duckett years when they were a pretty effective duo. Of course, Greg Knapp was there fucking up everyone. And Mike Vick didn't care about anything outside of ridiculous scrambles, ganja, and expanding the Korean food supply.

And this guy banging your cheerleaders:

matt-schaub.jpg

Want him back?

Hunter S.

We've got a bevy of backs waiting to be the next TD. Come on CJ Anderson.

Likely won't happen, I mean how could a franchise get that lucky?
I like how he is 224 pounds. Looks like he could develop in time.

Shanahan spoiled fans for so long with good RBs. We need that magic back.

squicken

Alex Gibbs is apparently one of the biggest dickbags that ever existed. He pisses off everyone he works with which is why he bounces around. He also demands like total control of the run game, from coaching the line to the backs and WRs. So he has a lot of say in putting shitty WRs on the field who can't get open.

Godslay

Banned
Alex Gibbs is apparently one of the biggest dickbags that ever existed. He pisses off everyone he works with which is why he bounces around. He also demands like total control of the run game, from coaching the line to the backs and WRs. So he has a lot of say in putting shitty WRs on the field who can't get open.

He gets results. Dickbag or not. His pedigree proceeds him.

kubiak.jpg

For godslay. I never realized until I posted that Schaub pick they both wore #8. He really is Kubiaks son!

Yes, what a beast. The original clipboard Jesus.

Bonus Points for the Geocities link.

Talon

That's hilarious and explains his hilarious résumé and why he never had moved up beyond that role.

Top Bottom