• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Preseason/Training Camp thread - Doritos Locos

brentech

Elfforkusu saves the day!

Like David Bakhtiari, I had to copy and paste his name; since when I see him post, I instinctively just think 'Elf' and disregard everything behind it.

MechDX

fans-jags-guy-getty-900x675.jpg

Gata your dad is awesome

LJ11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl9GNIQvwTk

LZ breaks down the outside zone TD run of Chris Johnson vs WAS, and his buddy breaks down the Cam Netwton INT TD vs Chicago

For those that missed it, Matt Bowen had some good film study stuff up today at B/R

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1735013-breaking-down-five-keys-plays-from-nfl-preseason-week-1

Perfect example of the discussion we had earlier about cutting backside defenders. Orakpo unblocked, TE moves to the second level, but Levitre has to cut the 1 shade because there's no way he's reaching him without doing so. Good clip, going to miss Levitre, hope his knees hold up.

I want to see.

Ever since I was a junior I remember him starting ridiculous fights with random people demanding them to write crazy long and detailed responses for every comment he disagreed with. Sometimes banning them when he was still a mod.

Then there was the whole fiasco with him asking gaf for money to help his mom. Only to post a week later that he spent like 400 bucks on hard drugs.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
There's a player on Michigan named Taco Charlton.

Cue RBH.

c4s_freeman121509_98586c.jpg

They come in human size?

I want to see.

Ever since I was a junior I remember him starting ridiculous fights with random people demanding them to write crazy long and detailed responses for every comment he disagreed with. Sometimes banning them when he was still a mod.

Then there was the whole fiasco with him asking gaf for money to help his mom. Only to post a week later that he spent like 400 bucks on hard drugs.

#Freesnes

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I want to see.

I remember him getting violent about Game of Thrones and how if you enjoyed any other fantasy books you were basically a shithead and should die. Like, almost verbatim. And then the time he almost got fired for drawing a naked scorpion man with full scorpio wang at work.

The guy really has issues I hope he gets addressed at some point. He's not a well individual.

Narag

I remember him getting violent about Game of Thrones and how if you enjoyed any other fantasy books you were basically a shithead and should die. Like, almost verbatim. And then the time he almost got fired for drawing a naked scorpion man with full scorpio wang at work.

Jesus christ.

It was werewolf dick.

Correct me if I am wrong but don't the TEAMS pick their own preseason opponents?

According to wiki, yeah within guidelines set by the NFL.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_preseason#Matchups

You get banned for anything in that thread.

Even if you were to, theoretically, call one of the characters a cunt for his or her terrible taste in movies.

You get banned for anything in that thread.

Even if you were to, theoretically, call one of the characters a cunt for his or her terrible taste in movies.

I stopped going to the GoT threads once the book reader witch hunt started.

People who even mentioned the books in any way or that they had read them were being banned.

Fucking stupid.

squicken

Perfect example of the discussion we had earlier about cutting backside defenders. Orakpo unblocked, TE moves to the second level, but Levitre has to cut the 1 shade because there's no way he's reaching him without doing so. Good clip, going to miss Levitre, hope his knees hold up.

Yeah as much as they talk about getting rid of cut blocks, I don't think it will ever happen. It would so fundamentally change the game. And I think as long as the defensive linemen see the blocker, which is now the rule, they can properly defend themselves

Narag

I stopped going to the GoT threads once the book reader witch hunt started.

People who even mentioned the books in any way or that they had read them were being banned.

Fucking stupid.

I liked one guy losing his shit after the Red Wedding claiming that ASOIAF didn't exist in the TV threads, just GoT.

LJ11

Yeah as much as they talk about getting rid of cut blocks, I don't think it will ever happen. It would so fundamentally change the game. And I think as long as the defensive linemen see the blocker, which is now the rule, they can properly defend themselves
Absolutely agree. How would you counter a guy like Watt or JPP when you go to your quick passing game? They'll time it up and knock it down. Its more likely that you'll avoid their side which ultimately limits your options. But if you cut block in pass pro you can get them to drop their hands. It's dangerous but it gives the offense a way to counter defenses, hard to remove it.

cdyhybrid

What to watch for 2013-14: The Seattle Seahawks

Offense
Overview: The big storylines of the offseason were the continuing maturation of Russell Wilson as he enters his second season, and the acquisition of Percy Harvin. Harvin, however, is injured (shockingly) and it is unknown how much time he'll miss. Optimists are hoping for a return late in the season in time for the playoffs, but it's probably safer to assume he will miss the season. Reports out of camp indicate that Russell is progressing nicely and could put together a very nice season, now that he'll have full command of the offense from Week 1.

Quarterback: Most of the drama here concerns the backup spot, which will go to the winner of the battle between Brady Quinn and Tarvaris Jackson. Neither hurt their cause in the first preseason game against San Diego. Many expect Jackson to eventually win the job - due to his familiarity with the system, and the respect he commands in the locker room after playing half a season with a torn pectoral muscle when he was the starter here two years ago.

Running back: Marshawn Lynch is the unquestioned starter, the soul of the team, and one of the best running backs in football. Running behind a line that should only improve upon their good showing last season, he looks primed to put up numbers similar to the fantastic 2012 campaign. Second-year backup Robert Turbin had a solid rookie season, but is coming off an injury. He sounds healthy, but the team is being very cautious with him (a theme that will be repeated in this post). Second-round pick Christine Michael was a bit of a surprise (as is typically the case with this front office), but he has been solid in camp and in the preseason, and has the opportunity to win the kick return job that was vacated when Harvin was injured.

Full back: Pro Bowler Michael Robinson remains one of the leaders on the team and a fan favorite for his Real Rob Report video series. Rookie Spencer Ware makes the move to FB from the RB position he played in college at LSU, so there will likely be a few growing pains as he learns the position. He is a good runner, though, and has the luxury of learning behind one of the best FBs in football.

Wide receiver: Harvin would be headliner here, but the group behind him isn't exactly a bunch of no-names. Sidney Rice is still a talented player, who can make plays and put up good numbers when healthy. Golden Tate is facing a pivotal season in his career, and he has gradually shown more and more flashes of being an electric playmaker. Doug Baldwin will hold down the slot with Harvin out, looking to continue his solid contributions since arriving in Seattle as an undrafted free agent. UDFA Jermaine Kearse (from the nearby University of Washington) had offseason corrective surgery to improve his vision, and no longer needs to use contacts. It looks to have paid off, as he has had a solid preseason thus far. One of the biggest revelations of the first preseason game was Stephen Williams, who looked dominant at times (although not against starting caliber players) against San Diego. Williams used his 6'5" frame and his speed to haul in a couple of bombs from Tarvaris Jackson. Williams' main competition for a roster spot (along with Kearse) will be fourth-round pick Chris Harper, another big, physical receiver.

Tight end: Zach Miller is the unquestioned starter, and is coming off an injury. The team is holding him out to be extra cautious and avoid aggravating the injury. Although not immediately concerning, the longer he goes without practicing the more people will start to panic, because if he can't play, the group behind him might be the worst TE group in football. Backup Anthony McCoy tore his Achilles' tendon over the offseason and is out for the year. Rookie Luke Willson has the talent to potentially be a deep threat down the middle of the field, but at the end of the day is still a rookie.

Offensive line: Max Unger and Russell Okung were All-Pros. Enough said. The rest of the line is solid enough, although there may be some shuffling of positions depending on injuries and such. The right guard spot was a revolving door last season, when neither JR Sweezy or John Moffitt could nail down the job. That will need to be fixed for the line to be truly dominant.

Defense
Overview: The number one scoring defense from a year ago returns basically everyone, with some new faces. LEO defensive end Chris Clemons is recovering from an ACL tear suffered on the awful field in Washington DC during the playoffs, and it remains unclear if/when he will be able to play. The Seahawks brought in numerous defensive line players to help generate more of a pass rush, which was probably the weakness of this defense last season - they had a maddening habit of failing to get off the field on third-and-long. Perhaps the biggest difference, though, is the departure of former defensive coordinator Gus Bradley (now the head coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars). He is replaced by Dan Quinn (formerly the DC of the Florida Gators), who coached the D-line in Seattle prior to 2012. Quinn looks to keep things relatively similar on defense, but wants to be more aggressive, meaning we will likely see a little more blitzing out of the Seahawks.

Nickel back: Antoine Winfield was brought in primarily as an upgrade to replace departed long-time Seahawk Marcus Trufant at this spot. He presumably will enter the season as the starter at this spot (particularly if the Seahawks play more nickel as some expect) because of his proficiency in assisting against the run. However, he will be pushed by a few of the backup DBs on Seattle's roster, who when healthy are probably good enough to start for many teams in the league.

Corner back: Richard Sherman is an All-Pro and probably the best cornerback in football. Brandon Browner is a former Pro Bowler and one of the most physical players on the defense. Walter Thurmond III was actually drafted ahead of Sherman, and is probably the next guy up if one of the starters were to miss a game (assuming he is actually healthy for once). The team is high on Jeremy Lane and Byron Maxwell, and they will likely see significant playing time in some fashion.

Safety: FS Earl Thomas is one of the best safeties in football, and might be the most important player on this defense. His ability to basically cover the entire center of the field allows Seattle flexibility in their defensive schemes. Strong safety Kam Chancellor just received his first extension after his rookie deal, and is one of the hardest hitters in the league. Seahawk fans look for Chancellor to improve in his pass coverage as a natural progression to his game. Backups Jeron Johnson and Chris Maragos are not as hyped as the backup corners, but are solid players that contribute when they get on the field.

Inside linebacker: Second year MLB Bobby Wagner made a strong push for Defensive Rookie of the Year last season, and will anchor the center of the defense for Seattle. Backups Allen Bradford and Heath Farwell are having productive preseasons and will see playing time this season.

Outside linebacker: The often-troubled Leroy Hill is gone, and his vacant LOLB spot will be one of the battles to watch in the preseason. Last season's first round pick Bruce Irvin moves to LB, and may be the one to win that job. Hill's former backup, Malcolm Smith, is probably the favorite to win the job. KJ Wright had a solid season last year and is in no danger of losing his job at ROLB. Backups O'Brien Schofield and John Lotulelei will both make strong pushes for playing time.

Defensive line: Cliff Avril looks to take over the LEO spot until Clemons returns, but is being held out of practice for precautionary reasons. Michael Bennett and Tony McDaniel were brought in for their versatility and to hopefully help generate some pressure up the middle of the offensive line. Red Bryant is healthy again and looks to return to form as a dominant run-stuffing defensive end. The team hopes rookie third-round pick Jordan Hill can help provide some pressure on opposing QBs from the interior of the line. Fifth-round pick DT Jesse Williams out of Alabama might be the biggest wild card of the group. A physical monster, Williams fell in the draft because of medical concerns. If he can stay healthy, he might be able to replace the run-stuffing presence of the now-departed Alan Branch (currently in Buffalo).

Special Teams
Punter Jon Ryan is a great weapon on special teams. Kicker Steven Hauschka is solid from inside 50 yards, but any further and he gets very shaky very quickly. Harvin's injury leaves the kickoff return spot open, potentially going to rookie RB Christine Michael. The punt return spot was up in the air for long before that (Harvin doesn't return punts), and Golden Tate may end up being the one to win the job if the team is willing to risk his health.

squicken

more like he's distracted looking at a fully grown adult man. he can't believe it!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-doesnt-have-to-play-russell-wilson-nfc-west/

Dwight Freeney happy he doesn’t have to play Russell Wilson

“I had no idea how fast he was. I had no idea,” Freeney said in an interview with Mike Costa and Judson Richards on XTRA Sports 1360 in San Diego. “By the time I got after the bull rush, I’m looking for this guy. He’s like 5-3, 5-4, whatever he is and I can’t find him. By the time I find him I was like ‘oh, here goes a sack.’ Next thing you know, ‘oh, no’ and I’m chasing him.”

“He’s a fast, crafty guy. He reminds me of like a (Doug) Flutie but faster as far as a height standpoint,” Freeney said.

it also works against him. this is why you never see him step up in the pocket, he literally can't see over the lineman. the rams did a great job in the first matchup last year of taking advantage of that. they gave him issues in the 2nd matchup too.

seahawks adjusted last year as most of their big plays were getting wussle outside of the pocket because there is absolutely no way he is going to consistently beat you by stepping up in the pocket. we will just have to see if and how defenses adjust to that

squicken

it also works against him. this is why you never see him step up in the pocket, he literally can't see over the lineman. the rams did a great job in the first matchup last year of taking advantage of that. they gave him issues in the 2nd matchup too.

seahawks adjusted last year as most of their big plays were getting wussle outside of the pocket because there is absolutely no way he is going to consistently beat you by stepping up in the pocket. we will just have to see if and how defenses adjust to that

Yeah I've actually been looking a lot at what the Rams did. With both he and Kap they were just dead set on preventing big plays, and keeping both guys inside. They traded vulnerability to Gore and Lynch, banking on the difficulty that SF and SEA would have in maintaining long drives

If Kap and Russell develop as passers then it won't work b/c there are all sorts of soft spot underneath. It will be harder for Russell b/c it is foggy for him. If I'm being honest I think a lot it was SF and SEA coming off big wins and taking the Rams lightly, and the Rams being fired up

Yeah I've actually been looking a lot at what the Rams did. With both he and Kap they were just dead set on preventing big plays, and keeping both guys inside. They traded vulnerability to Gore and Lynch, banking on the difficulty that SF and SEA would have in maintaining long drives

If Kap and Russell develop as passers then it won't work b/c there are all sorts of soft spot underneath. It will be harder for Russell b/c it is foggy for him. If I'm being honest I think a lot it was SF and SEA coming off big wins and taking the Rams lightly, and the Rams being fired up

kap had the one huge run in the 2nd game but beyond that he just had to take what the defense was giving, that's why crabcakes had like 10 catches or something. not sure why the rams were playing off on him by 10 yards, it was pitch and catch most of the game.

and gore didn't do anything in the 2nd game. we had a couple semi decent runs called back on holding penalties but he didn't really do much

squicken

kap had the one huge run in the 2nd game but beyond that he just had to take what the defense was giving, that's why crabcakes had like 10 catches or something. not sure why the rams were playing off on him by 10 yards, it was pitch and catch most of the game.

and gore didn't do anything in the 2nd game. we had a couple semi decent runs called back on holding penalties but he didn't really do much

After getting killed by RG3, they gave up trying to let Dahl cover half the field. So they had lots of Cover 3 and Quarter Quarter Half vs SF and SEA. It's 8 man fronts so the whole numbers advantage of the read option was gone. Kap and Wilson ran for yards off scrambles

Problem with Cover 3, especially against SF, is that you are asking the SS or OLBs to cover a slot WR on curls or breaks into the flat. The Rams didn't have any speed at those positions. It's why they drafted Ogletree and cut Mikell. It's actually a really attractive defense to go with since Harvin and Crabtree are gone

Milchjon

Man, James Harrison really is in denial about what football really is.

I also love that NFL.com is constantly making feet jokes about Rex Ryan.

So is Microsoft really dropping the mandatory Kinect support? With Microsoft doing a complete 180 on everything that differentiated them from Sony, we basically have 2 identical consoles. Which is all incredibly boring, sure I didn't agree with everything M$ did, and they were fucking stupid in their communication, but now they took everything away that set them apart (good or bad).

I'm not even excited for the next gen consoles anymore.

Also, flying back to Neverland tomorrow. I don't wanna go!

Fantomex

So is Microsoft really dropping the mandatory Kinect support? With Microsoft doing a complete 180 on everything that differentiated them from Sony, we basically have 2 identical consoles. Which is all incredibly boring, sure I didn't agree with everything M$ did, and they were fucking stupid in their communication, but now they took everything away that set them apart (good or bad).

I'm not even excited for the next gen consoles anymore.

Also, flying back to Neverland tomorrow. I don't wanna go!

Just leave quietly Dutch. I dont want tearful goodbyes.

Spinluck

I want to see.

Holy shit, that dude was a mod?

GAF did have a dark age.

Top Bottom