• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Preseason/Training Camp thread - Doritos Locos

Milchjon

Say what you will about all the DRM and forced Kinect but at least the XBone had an identity. Now it's just a graphically upgraded XBOX 360.

I would have to do some digging to find my post from a few months back where I complained about just that.

The Xbone still has a few things that excite me because it goes beyond being another game box. The moment they take the Kinect out of the box and de-emphasize all the things that actually make it feel like more than a graphics update, is the moment I'll lose the last bit of next gen excitement I have. I want gimmicks, I want voice control, I want gesture controls, I want games adjusting to my preferences because they can identify me via Kinect.

Edit: Even as an apologist, I absolutely love that gif, though.

JABEE

You didn't want DRM and forced Kinect, did you?

It may hurt Microsoft, but as gamers these are great reversals. Not needing an internet connection to play my single player is better than Xbox having an identity.

Xbox can make its identity the old fashion way, by funding and publishing a variety of quality games.

The new Kinect seemed and its always plugged in nature always seemed to me like a way for marketers to mine even more information from users. A camera that is always watching, determining whether I'm happy, sad, or frustrated consuming a piece of content is strange to me. I can see huge incentives for Microsoft to use Xbox as a trojan horse to extract data from its users to make Xbox an easy place for advertisers to promote their products.

Jabee I definitely wanted the original vision foe the DRM. As gas as Kinect goes plugged or unplugged doesn't matter as long as it is in every box. I want devs to come up with different ways to use Kinect and not have it wind up like move did last Gen.

Milchjon

The new Kinect seemed and its always plugged in nature always seemed to me like a way for marketers to mine even more information from users. A camera that is always watching, determining whether I'm happy, sad, or frustrated consuming a piece of content is strange to me. I can see huge incentives for Microsoft to use Xbox as a trojan horse to extract data from its users to make Xbox an easy place for advertisers to promote their products.

"A printing press would be a great way to flood the country with flyers."

"A color TV seems like a great way to peddle more stuff to consumers."

"A smartphone with GPS that's always connected to the internet seems like a great way to extract more data for advertisers."

If every new technology was only judged by the possibility of it being used for marketing purposes, we shouldn't be excited about anything anymore.

Yes, I realize that putting Kinect on the same level is silly. But I really think of all the arguments against the Xbone, fear advertising is the worst. At least be like eznark and fear the government getting a glimpse inside your basement.

MechDX

"A smartphone with GPS that's always connected to the internet seems like a great way to extract more data for advertisers."

If every new technology was only judged by the possibility of it being used for marketing purposes, we shouldn't be excited about anything anymore.

Yes, I realize that putting Kinect on the same level is silly. But I really think of all the arguments against the Xbone, fear advertising is the worst. At least be like eznark and fear the government getting a glimpse inside your basement.

What SNES does in his basement is SNES's and NFL GAFs business and no one elses

eznark

Banned
I was pretty excited by the fact that I can now blow up the Kinect which means I'll be buying an xbone until I realized that both consoles have pretty fucking awful launch lineups. I mean, I guess I'll buy one now but I'm not going to wait in line or anything.

I was pretty excited by the fact that I can now blow up the Kinect which means I'll be buying an xbone until I realized that both consoles have pretty fucking awful launch lineups. I mean, I guess I'll buy one now but I'm not going to wait in line or anything.

Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure!

I thought InFamous looked pretty cool even though their main character looks like a knob.

Never mind as I type this I remembered that's not launch.

eznark

Banned
I thought InFamous looked pretty cool even though their main character looks like a knob.

InFamous is pretty much the only good console open world game in existence so yeah, I'll be buying the shit out of that.

Yep. Second Son is one of big reasons I'm going PS4 off the bat. It's not launch but should get an early 2014 release.

On the topic of open world games, is there a more overexposed game than Watch Dogs right now?

JABEE

Kinect doesn't really feel like new technology. It's an iteration on something that existed long before. There already devices that can do what Xbox can do without getting every last piece of marketing data from me.

Kinect has shown very little reason why it's a good gaming device for anything other than dance games. Why should I put up with the hassle of television advertisements? None of those innovations you listed had the potential to extract informations about my mood, how many people were in the room, what gender I am, how old I am, what I'm eating. None of those promotional tools placed microphones and cameras in my living room and expected me to interact with advertisements by shouting out brand names and catchphrases to get to my content.

I think a better example of this kind of innovation would be FaceBook or Google. These two companies extract marketing data from people. Microsoft is taking it one step forward with cameras and microphones as an input device rather than just your keyboard. I'm just weirded out by that.

Kinect and Cloud are the future. Embrace it.

I don't agree that Kinect is the future.

Maybe the cloud is, but not the way Microsoft is touting it.

Antrel Rolle speaking to the media right now. Confirms he has an ankle sprain. Notes that it is NOT a high ankle sprain.

On whether he'd be ready for the opener:

Paul Schwartz @NYPost_Schwartz 2m

"Oh no" Rolle says when asked if there's any chance he will miss season opener. #nyg

Paul Schwartz @NYPost_Schwartz 2m

"Oh no" Rolle says when asked if there's any chance he will miss season opener. #nyg

JABEE

Yep. Second Son is one of big reasons I'm going PS4 off the bat. It's not launch but should get an early 2014 release.

On the topic of open world games, is there a more overexposed game than Watch Dogs right now?

It's going to be the new franchise that Ubisoft runs into the ground by releasing the games annually. It looks pretty cool though.

I'm looking forward to Destiny next year. I hope it comes out early next year. I think the new Killzone looks pretty cool. The Killzone Vita beta looks and plays really well. It's actually gotten me more excited for KZ PS4.

JABEE

How is MS touting the cloud wrong?

Acting like it's going to turn the Xbox into some kind of supercomputer. I think cloud has proven that it is good for storing and moving content from device to device and pushing software to a more service-based model, but anything else is kind of weird to be trumpeting about the cloud.

Dedicated servers available for every game sounds cool though.

brentech

InFamous is pretty much the only good console open world game in existence so yeah, I'll be buying the shit out of that.

I beat the first one and even platinum-ed it, but I can't get into the second in my few attempts. Only managed a few missions in. I actually had the same problem with the first game, then eventually it just clicked and I enjoyed it for what it was....still waiting on that moment in 2....but it won't happen if I just keep avoiding it, lol.

I have a slew of PS3 games I'd like to complete, but am having a hard time just launching them because I have stuff on the PC that I'm dwindling down as well.
Dota 2 is not helping this matter....

It's going to be the new franchise that Ubisoft runs into the ground by releasing the games annually.
That's my problem. They've already run it into the ground. I had some interest in it when it first announced but I'm so sick of it by now, it's one of those "yeah when it's ultra cheap" games for me now.

squicken

capturejmrc2.jpg

brentech

wife had our checking account debit card # stolen. $1341.30 in charges, mostly made overseas. they could tell it was her card that was used.

like the 3rd time this has happened in 2 years. (>.<)
though, that's the most that's been spent. so annoying. probably some gas station card skimmer or some shit. she travels to work a lot. luckily the short term money out of the account until they fix it isn't an issue, but I'd likely to go all Ray Lewis on these assholes if ever found out.

Narag

wife had our checking account debit card # stolen. $1341.30 in charges, mostly made overseas. they could tell it was her card that was used.

like the 3rd time this has happened in 2 years. (>.<)
though, that's the most that's been spent. so annoying. probably some gas station card skimmer or some shit. she travels to work a lot. luckily the short term money out of the account until they fix it isn't an issue, but I'd likely to go all Ray Lewis on these assholes if ever found out.

Would a credit card explicitly for her work/travel use be a better idea?

brentech

Would a credit card explicitly for her work/travel use be a better idea?
We only keep one credit card, because we don't use money we don't have (other than our mortgage, but the CC we use for world points and immediately pay off), but it's happened to that card as well, lol.

CC fraud is just rampant these days.

Colasante

Tommy Kelly appeared to injure left hand or arm blocking a Buccaneers field goal at the end of practice #Patriots

That's not good. Depth at the defensive tackle position is already perilously thin. If Kelly went down for any stretch of time, the defense could be in trouble. Hopefully it's not a big deal.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Kave,

Are you in a better mood now? You were going off for a two month after the Maple Leaf incident. Now that the Browns are back and Weeden is looking like Matthew Stafford out there, will you be in your usual jolly mood? Not Chan "jolly," but "Kave jolly."

I've been back to normal since mid July I think. Either way that collapse is behind me. I will never watch it again but bring on the seasons for all my teams (minus the Raptors).

BIG THINGS ARE IN THE WORKS!

Dragon

Banned
I beat the first one and even platinum-ed it, but I can't get into the second in my few attempts. Only managed a few missions in. I actually had the same problem with the first game, then eventually it just clicked and I enjoyed it for what it was....still waiting on that moment in 2....but it won't happen if I just keep avoiding it, lol.

I have a slew of PS3 games I'd like to complete, but am having a hard time just launching them because I have stuff on the PC that I'm dwindling down as well.
Dota 2 is not helping this matter....

Infamous: Festival of Blood is the best Infamous game. It's short too, it is 10 bucks on PSN which is annoying. I got it on sale for like 5 bucks.

Should AJ Jenkins be cut? Would Baalke do it?

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawaka...to-gm-trent-baalke-to-save-him-a-roster-spot/

Apparently he has had his practice time reduced and didn't even catch a pass in practice yesterday, though he is fully healthy

He's a loser but we will manipulate the process where he has a couple productive preseason games and say SEE there's potential!

Even though everyone knows he's trash the cap hit isn't worth it. Lesson learned!

Top Bottom