• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 1 |OT| - A new season dawns with champs vs chokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...st-readoption-hit-the-qb?campaign=Twitter_atl

Linebacker Clay Matthews gave us an insight into what we should expect from the Green Bay defense in those games: lots of quarterback hits.

"One of the things that the referees have told us is that when these quarterbacks carry out the fakes, they lose their right as a quarterback, a pocket-passing quarterback, the protection of a quarterback," Matthews said Monday on ESPN Radio's Mike & Mike. "So with that, you do have to take your shots on the quarterback, and obviously they're too important to their offense.

"If that means they pull them out of that type of offense and make them run a traditional, drop-back, pocket-style offense, I think that's exactly what we're going for. So you want to put hits as early and often on the quarterback and make them uncomfortable."

Of course, hitting the quarterback requires catching the quarterback.

"I can tell you right now, we started from Day 1 in OTAs when we came back in the offseason working on this read-option, pistol, fake offense for lack of a better term," Matthews said. "We've been working on it, especially after what we saw last year in the playoffs specifically and then opening up the season with two of these quarterbacks. We're ready. We feel good about it."

Zeke

so who is cooking cooking/grilling/bbq for kickoff? Whats your menu look like? Think I'm gonna do wings, burgers and brauts quick and easy just like big ben taking down a fat girl.

Colasante

Good enough to be in the top 5!? (Overall team, nfl.com) Just seems like a lot of hype.

I think the Bengals have a chance to be one of the five best teams in the league, but a lot will have to come together for them to make it happen. I wouldn't call them a top 5 team right now. Their secondary is suspect, with a lot of old guys who have been playing at an unsustainably high level, the running game has potential but isn't a guaranteed quality position, and of course Dalton is Dalton.

bionic77

Worst team in the league this year? Jets or Raiders seem to be the strongest contenders to me. Anyone in the NFC that can challenge them?

Worst team in the league this year? Jets or Raiders seem to be the strongest contenders to me. Anyone in the NFC that can challenge them?

Maybe the bucs? AFC has sucked recently.

I think the Bengals have a chance to be one of the five best teams in the league, but a lot will have to come together for them to make it happen. I wouldn't call them a top 5 team right now. Their secondary is suspect, with a lot of old guys who have been playing at an unsustainably high level, the running game has potential but isn't a guaranteed quality position, and of course Dalton is Dalton.

I think that's my biggest problem with them being so high....Dalton is still Dalton.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Baltimore at Denver

SUN, SEP 8

Early
New England at Buffalo
Cincinnati at Chicago
Miami at Cleveland
Atlanta at New Orleans
Tampa Bay at NY Jets
Tennessee at Pittsburgh
Minnesota at Detroit
Oakland at Indianapolis
Seattle at Carolina
Kansas City at Jacksonville

Late
Arizona at St. Louis
Green Bay at San Francisco

Night
NY Giants at Dallas

MON, SEP 9
Philadelphia at Washington
Houston at San Diego

Dragon

Banned
How many 2nd round picks has Killacheatz cut recently?

How was Ochocinco or Haynesworth or Teblow?

Is looking like a fool something that anything associated with the Jets tends to do or are you just an exception?

Jets traded up to draft Mark Sanchez. Have fun talking about the Pats drafting.

Striker

Lol he mad
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/07/matthews-says-giants-didnt-beat-packers/

I know power rankings (especially now) are all BS but why is everyone so high on the bangles!?
I love their defense and receivers. If Red Rocket underwhelms (i.e. he has to step up, keeps under-performing in big games), they won't go far again and won't beat teams like the Texans.

The AFC altogether is weak, so it's sorta by default.

bionic77

Their defense is good. And Gingersnap has AJ Green, what's not to like?
They have had talented players for much of the last decade.

And yet they always find a way to lose.

I won't even be surprised to see them win the division in its weakened state, but I have heard several analysts bring them up as contenders for best team in the AFC.

I won't stand for such nonsense.

Dragon

Banned

I won't even be surprised to see them win the division in its weakened state, but I have heard several analysts bring them up as contenders for best team in the AFC.

The AFC is pretty weak. Not convinced the Broncos are that good really. They play in a division almost as shitty as the AFC East. Then you have people hyping the Colts who finished last year with a -30 point differential in a shitty division as well. It's wide open. I see another shitty team like the Ravens coming out of the conference. So what am I missing? I'm sure I'm missing something.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

half of CBS's "analysts" had them going to the superbowl.

Fantomex

To all you bros picking Cleveland to win this week.

6rs1S6I.gif

Hunter S.

The AFC is pretty weak. Not convinced the Broncos are that good really. They play in a division almost as shitty as the AFC East. Then you have people hyping the Colts who finished last year with a -30 point differential in a shitty division as well. It's wide open. I see another shitty team like the Ravens coming out of the conference. So what am I missing? I'm sure I'm missing something.
Well, you could have shortened the post and just said everything is shitty.

AFC North
Bungles>Browns>Ravens>Squuelers

Tabris is a Bronco fan for now.

MechDX

schoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooob

Join the hype train Fox! You can have the last laugh when Schaub goes all Flacco on the league this year. Not like you have much to support, what are you going to lose?

As expected, Andre Brown has been placed on designated to return IR for the Giants. He will be eligible to return for the Nov. 10th game against the Raiders:

Conor Orr @ConorTOrr 56m

Alrighty. Andre Brown to the IR/designated to return RT @drebrown35: See y'all week 8.

Giants have been looking into Ryan Grant, Tim Hightower and Kevin Smith. They took a hard look at Hightower in the offseason but he still wasn't healthy then. Consider him a frontrunner if they do add a veteran RB.

Bit of trivia:

Tom Rock @TomRock_Newsday 1h

The Giants are 0-5 in season-opening games vs. the Cowboys ('65, ‘86, ‘95, '07 and ‘12). They won the Super Bowl in two of those seasons.

It's actually three. We won the '86 championship as well. I'm confused as to whether I should cheer for a win or not.:jnc Seems its better if we lose the opener.

Fox318

Man looking at Total War: Rome II makes me want to lay down cash and custom build a water clocked pc with 7950 x 1440 monitor setup.

As expected, Andre Brown has been placed on designated to return IR for the Giants. He will be eligible to return for the Nov. 10th game against the Raiders:

Giants have been looking into Ryan Grant, Tim Hightower and Kevin Smith. They took a hard look at Hightower in the offseason but he still wasn't healthy then. Consider him a frontrunner if they do add a veteran RB.

Bit of trivia:

It's actually three. We won the '86 championship as well. I'm confused as to whether I should cheer for a win or not.:jnc Seems its better if we lose the opener.

Cheer for a win. This won't supercede the two years of mediocrity/Super Bowl thing the Giants got goin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom