• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 1 |OT| - A new season dawns with champs vs chokes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vikings probably go between 7-9 and 9-7.

We need a few more guys on defense and a QB to step up. I guess if Ponder somehow manages to take a true step forward they could be good.

Hunter S.

Seeing Dumervil as a Raven will suck. Not a Bronco due to a fax machine flop. It is not that he left that will be annoying more the team he joined is tasteless and classless.

Zeke

Bit of trivia:
It's actually three. We won the '86 championship as well. I'm confused as to whether I should cheer for a win or not.:jnc Seems its better if we lose the opener.
and we can finally beat the giants at home and end that terrible run :\

Vio-Lence

Banned
I could see the Bears going anywhere from 6-10 to 10-6 this year. Trestman seems like a good coach, so I look forward to an improved offense. I think this draft class will end up being productive, Kyle Long looks like a stud. Hopefully Shea and Alshon can step up this year.

Bears have D.J. Williams over Bostic on the depth chart. Don't know how I feel about that.

While I would really like to see Bostic start, I'm fine with Williams. He's a much more complete player. Bostic did show some good things in pre-season, but he's not great in coverage and he blew a few assignments. Next year, Bostic will be the man, but right now it's Williams.

I could see the Bears going anywhere from 6-10 to 10-6 this year. Trestman seems like a good coach, so I look forward to an improved offense. I think this draft class will end up being productive, Kyle Long looks like a stud. Hopefully Shea and Alshon can step up this year.

I can't believe how great Long looks. I was skeptical, but he's quickly turned me into a believer. I think Alshon will take that next step. I just hope he can actually stay on the field this year.

bionic77

The AFC is pretty weak. Not convinced the Broncos are that good really. They play in a division almost as shitty as the AFC East. Then you have people hyping the Colts who finished last year with a -30 point differential in a shitty division as well. It's wide open. I see another shitty team like the Ravens coming out of the conference. So what am I missing? I'm sure I'm missing something.
You got it right, but that shitty team won't be the Bungles. It will take something miraculous for them to overcome their coach and the fact that they are the Bungles. I just can't see it happening. Bungle fans are smart enough to know it isn't happening this year either.

The fact that the AFC is hot garbage really makes it the favorite to win the SB again this year. Which gives me a ton of hope for the Steelers this year. WE could be that garbo team!

7-9 SB champ incoming!
half of CBS's "analysts" had them going to the superbowl.
I guess those two losses to the Texans last year and Marvin Lewis' amazing playoff record just convinced everybody.

I still can't believe they lost to the Texans two years ago when they were down to their 19th qb.

MechDX

last year and Marvin Lewis' amazing playoff record just convinced everybody.

I still can't believe they lost to the Texans two years ago when they were down to their 19th qb.

That sir was TJ Fucking Yates backed up by Jake Delhomme! Show some respect.

jj-watt-2.gif

Also Mr Watt's start of dominance.

bionic77

What is the best pick for a suicide pool?

I am looking @ Tampa Bay, New England and Indy as the surest things for week 1.

I really see the Vikings as a middle of the pack team this year but I do find it funny how analysts have changed their opinion on the team as the offseason went on. NFL.com and ESPN both had them ranked in the low teens after the draft in power ranking.

And then, slowly but surely, they sunk. Its pretty reasonable but I find it humorous, its kinda like someone making a claim way ahead of time and getting super nervous about it as a deadline approaches.

Edit: Well I guess NFL.com still has the Vikes ranked 13th.

effzee

Worst team in the league this year? Jets or Raiders seem to be the strongest contenders to me. Anyone in the NFC that can challenge them?

Well we are 1 hit away from Foles/Barkley starting. Already down Maclin at WR.

I think if Vick remains healthy we will have a pretty good offense. Our OLINE and running game should be stellar.

But the D was built to run a 4-3 and they are transitioning to a 3-4 with very changes to make it a easy transition.

As a fan I am optimistic and even think they could challenge for a WC spot but realistically they could be just as bad as last year's 4-12. So yes we might challenge the Raiders and Jets. Though even on our worst day I think we are better than the Jets.

Eleuin

THU, SEP 5

Baltimore at Denver

SUN, SEP 8

Early
New England at Buffalo
Cincinnati at Chicago
Miami at Cleveland
Atlanta at New Orleans
Tampa Bay at NY Jets
Tennessee at Pittsburgh
Minnesota at Detroit
Oakland at Indianapolis
Seattle at Carolina
Kansas City at Jacksonville

Late
Arizona at St. Louis
Green Bay at San Francisco

Night
NY Giants at Dallas

MON, SEP 9
Philadelphia at Washington
Houston at San Diego

exarkun

fantomex, add me to the texans chart plz.

Ive been here for like 5 or 6 years and every year I get left off the list. You put squicken in over me? Take his ass off and throw him into the luck/bradford bandwagon sextion.

squicken

You got it right, but that shitty team won't be the Bungles. It will take something miraculous for them to overcome their coach and the fact that they are the Bungles. I just can't see it happening. Bungle fans are smart enough to know it isn't happening this year either.

Lewis is good enough. I mean all coaches should have their challenge flags taken away, but otherwise they seem well coached. It's just Dalton at this point. He should be better given he has AJ Green to throw to

edit: fantomex listen to exarkun.

Been busy today, looks like I missed a lot of good discussion. I still can't believe the season is starting this week. I've waited for so long!

If the Browns decide to be good this year I hope they wait until at least week 2 to figure it out.

But I'm a big Tanny fan. This year the Pats win the title. The last hurrah of Brady and Belichick, and the Dolphins take over the AFCE going forward
Bless you, squicken.

Been busy today, looks like I missed a lot of good discussion. I still can't believe the season is starting this week. I've waited for so long!

If the Browns decide to be good this year I hope they wait until at least week 2 to figure it out.

I think we have a good chance and hell we better win because if we don't I can see us going 0-5 into the bye week.

Phins gonna win every game this season Cus of their defense.
I do think a lot of people are overlooking the Dolphins D, probably because of all the offensive minded moves they've made this offseason. Grimes is a huge addition at CB, the entire d-line is loaded with talent and depth, and they've upgraded their LB's. And they weren't exactly a bad defense last season!

Unless there are some unforeseen issues that crop up they will surprise a lot of people this season. My one big concern right now has to do with the rookie CB's, Jamal Taylor and Will Davis, both of which have been struggling with injuries this offseason. They were brought in to contribute from week one and I'm not sure that's going to happen at this point. The same could be said about Dion Jordan as well I suppose (so the Dolphins top three picks), but it looks like he'll at least be playing some in the Cleveland game.

I think we have a good chance and hell we better win because if we don't I can see us going 0-5 into the bye week.
Anything is possible at this point in the season. I think 5-0 is as likely or more likely than 0-5. Neither is likely at all in my eyes.

Milchjon

Im sure he is, but has he been on Gaf? I feel like I havent seen him post in a long while.

According to his profile he hasn't been online since February. I think he didn't feel too welcome after all the hubbub anymore.

I actually worry about him every now and then and have a quick peek at his Facebook. He seems to be doing alright.

I'm thinking we go 3-2 (Browns/Colts/Balt) with the Saints being a 50/50 and we drop the home opener against Atlanta.
That sounds reasonable but as we all know what sounds reasonable now might sound silly in a few weeks. I've got nothing against making predictions, it's all good fun at the end of the day, but I have the hardest time committing to anything because there is always so much we won't know until the season happens. That's the beauty of the league, after all.

All of those Dolphins games seem like coin flips to me at this point. There is so much riding on how well Tannehill develops, how well the offense clicks as a unit, how well Lamar Miller adapts to being a starting RB, how well the TE's step up to replace Keller, and on and on. And that's not even talking about defense, special teams, or all the unknowns with the teams the Dolphins are playing! I love it, but at the same time it terrifies me. :p

Summary: I want to believe.

Talon

I do think a lot of people are overlooking the Dolphins D, probably because of all the offensive minded moves they've made this offseason. Grimes is a huge addition at CB, the entire d-line is loaded with talent and depth, and they've upgraded their LB's. And they weren't exactly a bad defense last season!
The thing with Grimes is that his entire game is predicated on his athleticism - chiefly his vertical. That's the primary reason the FO wasn't willing to pay for him - he's clearly a guy with a short shelf life anyways, and he's coming off a major injury.

On top of that, I love Brent. I really do, but he's more in the Asante vein of creating turnovers rather than ever shutting a guy down. He's so short that I didn't really blame him when he got beat - particularly in the end zone.

The thing with Grimes is that his entire game is predicate on his athleticism - chiefly his vertical. That's the primary reason the FO wasn't willing to pay for him - he's clearly a guy with a short shelf life anyways, and he's coming off a major injury.

On top of that, I love Brent. I really do, but he's more in the Asante vein of creating turnovers rather than ever shutting a guy down. He's so short that I didn't really blame him when he got beat - particularly in the end zone.

Truth. When he made a stop in the endzone, everyone talked about what an awesome play it was. However, when he couldn't stop the receiver from catching the ball, everyone just talked about how it was a mismatch due to size.

Tom Penny

Bless you, squicken.

So the Pats are going to win the SB and Brady and Belichick are both going to retire? The only other option is for a career ending injury to Brady for Miami to take over in year. I'll take the first one.

My Miami buddy is depressed about their opening schedule. At least they don't have to play back to back division games like the Pats !!! Good Luck.

That sounds reasonable but as we all know what sounds reasonable now might sound silly in a few weeks. I've got nothing against making predictions, it's all good fun at the end of the day, but I have the hardest time committing to anything because there is always so much we won't know until the season happens. That's the beauty of the league, after all.

All of those Dolphins games seem like coin flips to me at this point. There is so much riding on how well Tannehill develops, how well the offense clicks as a unit, how well Lamar Miller adapts to being a starting RB, how well the TE's step up to replace Keller, and on and on. And that's not even talking about defense, special teams, or all the unknowns with the teams the Dolphins are playing! I love it, but at the same time it terrifies me. :p

Summary: I want to believe.

I know the feeling, by this time Saturday I'll be a complete wreck and think we'll go 0-16. But yeah we do have a ton of question marks going in, just trying to stay positive until we know what we have to look forward too lol

My Miami buddy is depressed about their opening schedule. At least they don't have to play back to back division games like the Pats !!! Good Luck.

Back to back division games in the AFC East though...I mean yeah....

The thing with Grimes is that his entire game is predicate on his athleticism - chiefly his vertical. That's the primary reason the FO wasn't willing to pay for him - he's clearly a guy with a short shelf life anyways, and he's coming off a major injury.

You speak the truth, but he's still an upgrade versus what they had last season and his recovery from his injury went better than expected, it sounds like. There aren't many corners (or players in general) in the league that are without flaws, wouldn't you agree?

I didn't necessarily have anything against Sean Smith and his size was definitely a huge plus, but Grimes is good enough in the areas Smith struggled in to make the swap worth it, at least on paper. We'll see how it plays out. Another thing is the Dolphins FO seems extremely adamant about putting athletic guys out there on D who are capable of generating turnovers. Even if Grimes suffers at times because of his size hopefully he will make up for it with some big INT's.

Hunter S.

At least there is no Bill Vinovich reffing the Ravens/Broncos game. Such a shitty ref.

Looks like Walt Colemans group.
You will be there live?

I wish someone would destroy that huge picture of Flacco hanging on Sports Authority.
* Wink* *wink* you can do it man!!!

Fantomex

Dreamcast

fantomex, add me to the texans chart plz.

Ive been here for like 5 or 6 years and every year I get left off the list. You put squicken in over me? Take his ass off and throw him into the luck/bradford bandwagon sextion.

Will def add you.

Phins gonna win every game this season Cus of their defense.

I wish bro.

Don't worry, whenever a lot of GAFfers pick the Browns, they always lose.

:(

Here is hoping.

Once again I am not on the Niners list. Three years man, I have been posting here for three years.

I will put you on the list good sir.

bionic77

Lewis is good enough. I mean all coaches should have their challenge flags taken away, but otherwise they seem well coached. It's just Dalton at this point. He should be better given he has AJ Green to throw to

edit: fantomex listen to exarkun.
:lol @ Lewis being good enough.

Look at his playoff record! A lot of those were close winnable games and he usually finds a way to make the wrong decision at exactly the wrong time!

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2013/quarterbacks-game-winning-drive-study

Joe Flacco has 5 Game winning Drives where he never completed a pass. The guy is like Cinderella. Surely there is a clock somewhere close to midnight
Supposedly Flacs is great at handing off.

I did not know that was actually a skill but at least it was admirable the way his teammates and coaches try to stick up for him.

Every coach that lost to him in the playoffs should be fired, considering even the dumbest fans in the division know exactly how to stop him and yet geniuses like John Fox and Scumbaugh somehow allowed him to complete deep passes!

Turnstile

You will be there live?

I wish someone would destroy that huge picture of Flacco hanging on Sports Authority.
* Wink* *wink* you can do it man!!!
Yeah. I will be there.
I'm surprised it hasn't been hit by a paint balloon or 5 yet.

I have season tickets, but don't hit every game. I put my name on the list in 95 and got tickets in 2005.
I grew up in Denver but took a job a state away while waiting on the ticket list.
I hit most warmer weather games and playoff games.

Get rid of Astrolad for fuck's sake. He posted for a week the year the Cardinals went to the Super Bowl and never again.
I've been wondering for the past couple years how he ends up on it. Never see him post in here.
Get rid of Dirtbag

also JNC is a seahawks fan
This isn't as funny anymore since the Chickens are far better than the Steelers now.
What is the best pick for a suicide pool?

I am looking @ Tampa Bay, New England and Indy as the surest things for week 1.
I have a big money league where I bought 4 picks and I went HOU, Indy, NE, and SEA. If I had to pick just one...toss up between HOU and SEA. Hard to imagine any of these four losing.

cdyhybrid

I've been wondering for the past couple years how he ends up on it. Never see him post in here.

This isn't as funny anymore since the Chickens are far better than the Steelers now.

I have a big money league where I bought 4 picks and I went HOU, Indy, NE, and SEA. If I had to pick just one...toss up between HOU and SEA. Hard to imagine any of these four losing.

The Seahawks were better than the Steelers back then, too. The best team usually doesn't win the Super Bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom