• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 1 |OT| - A new season dawns with champs vs chokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
Oh shit Browns fans. Economic Club of Indiana just released their list of speakers for the upcoming luncheon season and guess who I get to see speak in March? I'm going to tell Jimmy Haslam to move your team to Peoria.

bionic77

I am really, really interested to see the first Redskins drive. It's going to be incredibly telling to see how RG reacts to pressure and if he trusts his demolished knee.
I would say that there is no way he trusts his knee for at least a few games, but then there is AP...

And I don't know why but Kap is so skinny I always think he is about to get hurt, but so yet he has been really smart about avoiding hits instead of risking his brain for 6 more inches. Gotta give that scumbag Harbs credit for that. You rarely see that in a qb,

And I don't know why but Kap is so skinny I always think he is about to get hurt, but so yet he has been really smart about avoiding hits instead of risking his brain for 6 more inches. Gotta give that scumbag Harbs credit for that. You rarely see that in a qb,
I always felt that way about Wallace. He's got twigs for legs and every time he got hit I thought they'd snap in half.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
RG3, Wilson and Kaep will be fine as long as those teams can continue to pound the rock. I will say that if the Redskins get off to a poor start, that team will implode. The qb and hc are already fighting, but winning cures everything. Luck will be fine, even if his team has a worse record than last year, that dude is going to be tops in the league for the next 15 years. I also think the Colts understand that it's going to be a few years before they're legit contenders. There's just a dearth of talent on the roster.

Bowser

This posted yet?: http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2013/09/all-32-quarterbacks-as-their-team-name.html

lolol these are gold

rg3.jpg

Peyton.jpg

Cutler1.jpg

SanchezGeno.jpg

Flacco.jpg

Rivers.jpg

squicken

Honestly think the NFC South winner is going 9-7 at best. Each team has a fairly tough sked (divison games plus NFC West, AFC East (Pats/Phins)). Saints seem to be the trendy pick but I don't see Sean Payton alone being worth 3+ wins (and we all know the stat that a Rob Ryan-coached defense has never made the playoffs, 9 years and counting). Not impressed by the Bucs, secondary is much improved but the front 7 doesn't scare me and their QB situation looks terrible. Homer in me thinks 9 wins is achievable for the Panthers and I think people are severely underrating the secondary and defense in general.

Case against Falcons as outlined by the sharps:

Panthers 9-7
Falcons 8-8
Saints 7-9
Bucs 5-11

BELIEVE.

That's pretty much Football Outsiders argument. SF was able to beat all the regression numbers b/c they beat the odds on health, again, and upgraded the QB. I just can't see what ATL can do similarly. I don't think SJAX does that much over Turner.

I agree that it could be a bunch of 9-7 teams. Top to bottom it is better than the NFCW. It will be interesting to see how they fare against each other this year

RG actually did really well in pressure situations last year.

What are these brutal 3rd and long numbers specifically?

http://www.pro-football-reference.c...min=&margin_max=&order_by=yards#tm_offense::5

They were second to last in converting 3rd and long. Not saying he can't do it, but he never really had to play any games where he was throwing a lot of passes, and when faced with obvious passing situations, he wasn't good

Talon

Curious about your Falcons pick. Football Outsiders laid out a pretty good case against them. Not sure how the offense can be better and I don't see a much better defense. It's not like I'm thinking they will go 6-10, but they seem more bubble playoff team than SB loser
I can tell you how the offense can be better. We were absolutely woeful in short yardage situations last year. 3rd and short, Goal and go, etc.

Two factors: McClure was one of the weakest Centers in the league for the last five seasons. Completely non-factor in the running game.

On top of that, Turner had absolutely no burst in his step, nor the strength to carry the pile. If I had a dime for ever 2nd and 12 that we started from, I would have many dimes. Not that SJax is some sort of Jerome Bettis, but even Brandon Jacobs would have been an improvement in that situation (he said facetiously). On top of that, SJax actually provides a significant receiving threat out of the backfield.

Defensively, I think we'll be about the same. Abe had a great year for the first 12 weeks, per usual, and I'm skeptical about Osi. In terms of scoring defense, the defense - especially the back 7 - was fantastic against pocket passers. Remember, this was Nolan's first year with the team, and both Moore and Decoud had the best years of their careers. I am really interested to see what Nolan decides to do with the front 7. I can see a scenario where he has Weatherspoon attacking more and covering less, which honestly is my preference.

Is it ideal having two rookies in your Dime package? Not at all. That said, they're replacing Dunta "Ironhead" Robinson and Chris "Packers MVP" Owens.

I really think the FO took a realistic look at the roster and said, "We don't have enough cap space to make a significant investment in the front four. Realistically, we can't solve the issue of generating pressure because we're two pieces away - we feel good about Babineaux, Peters and Osi - everyone else on the D-line is a body.

What we can do is extend offensive possessions with an improved running game."

Fundamentally, I haven't seen this team take a big step back under the Dmitroff-Smith regime, and I don't see it this year. Sure, Payton is back but that defense is horrendous. They've lost 3 outside linebackers - two of which were supposed to start. On top of that, they couldn't get anyone to beat out Malcolm Jenkins and Roman Harper at S. El. Oh. El. Saint secondary.

Carolina has talent, but I am confident that the Rivera-Shula braintrust will fail that team. Plus that offensive line looks pitiful - if they're trying to ride Cam as a pocket passer. Freeman is too busy flatfooting 5 yard swing passes and eating Taco Bell. Plus we saw cracks in that team's tolerance of Schiano at the end of last season.

I definitely have concerns. Chief among them is the right side of the offensive line, although last year's side was pretty gummy as well. Pursuit in run defense is what I'm most interested in seeing. That's one thing Turkeyneck was always great at, but Nolan obviously prioritized passing defense last year.

I am staunchly Viking-GAF, so hope for the best from them this year!

Also Packer-GAF can bite it, get a damn dome stadium you bums

bionic77

Is Green Bay as cold as Minnesota?

And would a non-obese person such as myself freeze to death during a football game in GreenBay in January?

squicken

I can tell you how the offense can be better. We were absolutely woeful in short yardage situations last year. 3rd and short, Goal and go, etc.
I definitely have concerns. Chief among them is the right side of the offensive line, although last year's side was pretty gummy as well. Pursuit in run defense is what I'm most interested in seeing. That's one thing Turkeyneck was always great at, but Nolan obviously prioritized passing defense last year.

Thanks Talon. It's one of those things where you only get the national view and never hear the local counter-argument. I had forgot that you guys had no functional threat out of the backfield. SJAX is solid at that b/c he catches it and goes straight ahead. Hard for DBs to stop him. But he won't be running wheel routes or breaking off 40 yard screen passes

I agree with all the issues that the other teams have in that division. Freeman and Rob Ryan in particular are going to be disasters. Wildcards seem to be the backup QB in Tampa, and whether Rivera can get out of his own way

Talon

NFC North: Packers
NFC East: Giants
NFC South: Falcons
NFC West: 49ers
WC: Seahawks, Panthers

AFC North: Bengals
AFC East: Bone, Thugs & Harmony
AFC South: Texans
AFC West: Broncos
WC: Steelers, Ravens

NFC Champion: Packers
AFC Champion: Broncos

Superbowl Champs: Packers

eznark

Banned
NFC North: Packers
NFC East: Giants
NFC South: Falcons
NFC West: 49ers
WC: Seahawks, Panthers

AFC North: Bengals
AFC East: Bone, Thugs & Harmony
AFC South: Texans
AFC West: Broncos
WC: Steelers, Ravens

NFC Champion: Packers
AFC Champion: Broncos

Superbowl Champs: Packers

ass

Seanspeed

Banned
http://www.pro-football-reference.c...min=&margin_max=&order_by=yards#tm_offense::5

They were second to last in converting 3rd and long. Not saying he can't do it, but he never really had to play any games where he was throwing a lot of passes, and when faced with obvious passing situations, he wasn't good
Ok, yea, that's not very good. I think that goes to show how great Alf was last year as they are also on the very bottom end of # of plays in that situation at all.

We'll see. There's also more to those situations than just the quarterback.

The Giants turned over 43% of their roster from last season. I haven't looked to see whether a majority of that was on offense or defense but I'm willing to guess it's on the defensive side of the ball.

*deep breath*

I'm not sure how to evaluate this team going into 2013. I need to see them play a complete game before I can work up any strong feelings about them one way or another.

Defensively there's no question that we have major question marks at the linebacker position. There's three new starters here but what's there doesn't inspire confidence. Keith Rivers is the best linebacker in the group and that's not exactly high praise for the unit.

Outside of Prince Amukamara who's continuing to develop into a quality corner, the secondary can't be seen as anything but problematic. The beat writers keep asking whether Webster is going to have a bounce back year or not and I suppose you can't completely dismiss the possibility but does any Giants fan have any belief it will happen?

The loss of Stevie Brown is going to hurt. Mundy had a good preseason and showed that ability to put a big hit on folks but he was brought in as a reserve player and he's now being pushed to start in an already weak secondary.

Then there's the defensive line where JPP still isn't a lock to play the opener at this point. All Giants fans are hoping that old man Tuck still has something left as he continues to duct tape his body together. Kiwi is good depth and I think the DT rotation we have going into the season is actually pretty strong. We have some promising youth in rookies like Moore and Hankins as well but this unit will have to perform far better than the shit they put on the field last season for this defense to have any success.

None of this is even touching the offensive side of the ball where the offensive line is going through it's second reshuffle, the tight end position is in yet another year of flux (we usually work through that fine) and pass protection from the running backs is an issue going into the season after releasing Bradshaw.

So yeah, 8-8/9-7 with no playoffs or 9-7/10-6 with a playoff berth and who knows what afterwards. So after all of that another typical Giants year, then. :)

Talon

Better question: who gets absolutely demolished by ends/backers coming down on read option plays the most?
A. Griffindor
B. Russell Athletic
C. Kaepernidickus
D. Mike Vick

Mike Vick

Steelers will start Jason Worilds:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/03/jason-worilds-will-start-for-steelers/

The Steelers drafted outside linebacker Jarvis Jones in the first round of April’s draft, but he didn’t get the nod for a starting job in the season opener against the Titans.

Coach Mike Tomlin announced at his Tuesday press conference that Jason Worilds will be making the start against Tennessee. Worilds has made 10 previous starts for the Steelers, who drafted him in the second round of the 2010 draft, and he has 10 sacks over that period.

Nightz

I predict a horrible rebuilding year for the Chargers. But Norv is gone, so that's like winning the Super Bowl.

This is where I proclaim the Jets as future SB champs after a surprising 9-7 season/wild card run that is predicated on the fact that Geno Smith will be less awful than Sanchez, the Jets D finally stopping TEs and slot receivers from destroying them short/mid, and the diminished abilities of the AFC East as a whole.

...then I remember that none of that will likely happen, and I settle in to the hope that the Jets get Clowney or Teddy Bridgewater after this 2-14 season.

Fox318

Watching a bad football team has its benefits.

I can get read a book or do something productive with my life instead of being anxious over a game.

Talon

Yeah, but he did say Jones will get on the field at various points. Worilds is pretty underwhelming, I bet Jones is starting after a few weeks.
Why does he need to do? Use him for 30-40 snaps to attack the backfield.
Watching a bad football team has its benefits.

I can get read a book or do something productive with my life instead of being anxious over a game.
This is true. The fall of 2006 was the most productive season of my life.

This is where I proclaim the Jets as future SB champs after a surprising 9-7 season/wild card run that is predicated on the fact that Geno Smith will be less awful than Sanchez, the Jets D finally stopping TEs and slot receivers from destroying them short/mid, and the diminished abilities of the AFC East as a whole.

...then I remember that none of that will likely happen, and I settle in to the hope that the Jets get Clowney or Teddy Bridgewater after this 2-14 season.

Wut?? Dolphins are trending up!
8-8 baby!!! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom