• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 1 |OT| - A new season dawns with champs vs chokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

Ok, yea, that's not very good. I think that goes to show how great Alf was last year as they are also on the very bottom end of # of plays in that situation at all.

We'll see. There's also more to those situations than just the quarterback.

The Redskins had a great offense despite 3rd and long issues, b/c they were so good the other two downs. And you are right about the offense. The Texans run the same offense (w/o the mobile QB) and were so awful at 3rd and long that Kubiak's featured play was the give-up draw

http://www.battleredblog.com/2013/2/11/3974596/third-down-give-up-draws-gary-kubiak-and-you

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Watching a bad football team has its benefits.

I can get read a book or do something productive with my life instead of being anxious over a game.

Nope.

Take it from me, you go in expecting that but the anxiousness and sadness still show up. You get those glimmers of hope every few games or so that make you think maybe there's something here but nope there isn't.

witness

So at best I am hoping my Saints can get to 10-6, but I am not expecting that at all. Another shitty defense for Brees to have to carry along will doom the team like usual. At best the defense will be 20th (25th around realistically) ranked, anything higher than that is a miracle.

The great equalizer is the running game though. If Thomas, Ingram, and Sproles can stay healthy and and the running game produces like in 2009 and 2011 then they have a great shot at a 10 win season.

bionic77

Eh..that's not entirely true. What the Steelers are going to employ is a 3 man rotation - Woodley, Worilds, and Jones. Keeps all three fresh and the offense guessing.
Worilds sucks as a starter but he is decent as your depth guy (meaning he isn't great but you could certainly do a lot worse).

Hope Jones is a beast. We need one so that teams can't just focus on Woodley.

Ponder should have a breakout year with everyone and their miter trying to stop #28.

Well will end up 9-7

But there is this feeling that it will all go south

Baltimore at Denver

SUN, SEP 8

Early
New England at Buffalo
Cincinnati at Chicago
Miami at Cleveland
Atlanta at New Orleans
Tampa Bay at NY Jets
Tennessee at Pittsburgh
Minnesota at Detroit
Oakland at Indianapolis
Seattle at Carolina
Kansas City at Jacksonville

Late
Arizona at St. Louis
Green Bay at San Francisco

Night
NY Giants at Dallas

MON, SEP 9
Philadelphia at Washington
Houston at San Diego

Seanspeed

Banned
The Redskins had a great offense despite 3rd and long issues, b/c they were so good the other two downs. And you are right about the offense. The Texans run the same offense (w/o the mobile QB) and were so awful at 3rd and long that Kubiak's featured play was the give-up draw

http://www.battleredblog.com/2013/2/11/3974596/third-down-give-up-draws-gary-kubiak-and-you
Its weird, cuz according to that, they(Texans) weren't exactly that bad at 3rd and long relative to other teams.

When will people call out Bill "I draft bums and murders" Belicheat for being a horrible GM?

Get ESPN out of Bristol and move them to Iowa or something.

The Pats drafting has gotten better in the last few years as compared to the Jets, who fucking suck in just about everything.

This is the first Packers season opener I've had off of work to watch since 2010, so I think this is our year, boys! Let's get it started off right though, I don't want to see Rodgers become the Steve Young to Kap's Brent.

Baltimore at Denver

SUN, SEP 8

Early
New England at Buffalo
Cincinnati at Chicago
Miami at Cleveland
Atlanta at New Orleans
Tampa Bay at NY Jets
Tennessee at Pittsburgh
Minnesota at Detroit
Oakland at Indianapolis
Seattle at Carolina

Late
Arizona at St. Louis

Night
NY Giants at Dallas

MON, SEP 9
Houston at San Diego

Oozer3993

Oh shit Browns fans. Economic Club of Indiana just released their list of speakers for the upcoming luncheon season and guess who I get to see speak in March? I'm going to tell Jimmy Haslam to move your team to Peoria.

Tell him to give Mark Cuban a call when the league forces him to sell the team.

Nope.

Take it from me, you go in expecting that but the anxiousness and sadness still show up. You get those glimmers of hope every few games or so that make you think maybe there's something here but nope there isn't.

Yup. Happens every time.

I predict a horrible rebuilding year for the Chargers. But Norv is gone, so that's like winning the Super Bowl.

Cards and Bolts mutual steps for improvement:

1. Can shitty coach (and GM for Cards) CHECK!
2. Upgrade OL.....In progress

Now someone will troll us with 3. Get QB

JCizzle

RG3, Wilson and Kaep will be fine as long as those teams can continue to pound the rock. I will say that if the Redskins get off to a poor start, that team will implode. The qb and hc are already fighting, but winning cures everything. Luck will be fine, even if his team has a worse record than last year, that dude is going to be tops in the league for the next 15 years. I also think the Colts understand that it's going to be a few years before they're legit contenders. There's just a dearth of talent on the roster.

At least for the Niners, my observation was that they'd rarely let Kaepernick run on designed plays. They'd run faux read options for 3 quarters that were always designed handoffs to RBs. They greatly limited his exposure. Then in the 4th, if needed, CK would have the ability to keep it for a few runs. I think most HCs will handle these guys that way - very limited exposure on designed plays. At least much less than people are assuming. RG3 seemed to be the outlier and the fraud bitch ass Shanny got him killed.

You're ok in my book, gata.

Our QB's will be dead by the time #2 is done.

lol
cries

Actually that's more a concern for you guys as I doubt a single person believes Palmer will be the long term answer. He's a band-aid and possibly a groomer for our future franchise QB, nothing more. Now the question is which QB will the OL have falling to us next draft.

Better question: who gets absolutely demolished by ends/backers coming down on read option plays the most?
A. Griffindor
B. Russell Athletic
C. Kaepernidickus
D. Mike Vick

Mike Vick

LOL, I just hope that Chip goes to Barkely once Vick gets hurt. Cant wait for the Eagles to draft Teddy next year.

Colasante

How many 2nd round picks has Killacheatz cut recently?

How was Ochocinco or Haynesworth or Teblow?

Let's take a look at the Jets' and Patriots' respective 2nd round picks between 2008 and 2012.

Jets- LB David Harris, OT Vlad Ducasse, WR Stephen Hill

Patriots- CB Terrence Wheatley, S Patrick Chung, DT Ron Brace, CB Darius Butler, RT Sebastian Vollmer, TE Rob Gronkowski, DE Jermaine Cunningham, LB Brandon Spikes, CB Ras-I Dowling, RB Shane Vereen, S Tavon Wilson

Hm. You're right, Belichick is trash. Long live Mike Tannenbaum.

I can't believe how terrible that NFL "integration" into the xbone is. Jesus...

If the NFL network and especially Red Zone are available without cable, that's actually pretty awesome for a lot of people. Doesn't do me much good though. I just wish we could order cable channels individually already. I pretty much only need cable for sports...

SonnyBoy

At least for the Niners, my observation was that they'd rarely let Kaepernick run on designed plays. They'd run faux read options for 3 quarters that were always designed handoffs to RBs. They greatly limited his exposure. Then in the 4th, if needed

Except on the goal line during the SuperBowl.

eznark

Banned
If the NFL network and especially Red Zone are available without cable, that's actually pretty awesome for a lot of people. Doesn't do me much good though. I just wish we could order cable channels individually already. I pretty much only need cable for sports...

It requires a cable sub though, doesn't it?

cdyhybrid

Baltimore at Denver

SUN, SEP 8

Early
New England at Buffalo
Cincinnati at Chicago
Miami at Cleveland
Atlanta at New Orleans
Tampa Bay at NY Jets
Tennessee at Pittsburgh
Minnesota at Detroit
Oakland at Indianapolis
Seattle at Carolina

Late
Arizona at St. Louis

Night
NY Giants at Dallas

MON, SEP 9
Houston at San Diego

Here's my contribution to this week's thread.

reggie-bush.jpg

It requires a cable sub though, doesn't it?

There was yet another app called 'Watch ESPN' or something like that and that's what requires a sub. Not confirmed if the other apps/features do but sounded like they wouldn't. If they do, then yeah, fucking worthless.

Edit: Shit, looks like you do for Red Zone... lame.

Curious about your Falcons pick. Football Outsiders laid out a pretty good case against them. Not sure how the offense can be better and I don't see a much better defense. It's not like I'm thinking they will go 6-10, but they seem more bubble playoff team than SB loser

As Talon mentioned, S-Jax is a huge upgrade alone since he won't just run to where the playcall tells him to go, he'll actually bounce to another hole if need be. He's also solid out of the backfield in the passing game.

It's often said that it takes a receiver until his 3rd year to really break out so if that holds true, Julio should also be in for a stellar season.

I think defense could surprise if Osi has something left in the tank, Weatherspoon stays healthy, and Trufant/Alford are quick studies. I like the way Nolan is using Biermann more in coverage on obvious pass downs since he has far more athletic ability then Nicholas.

Fantomex

RG3, Wilson and Kaep will be fine as long as those teams can continue to pound the rock. I will say that if the Redskins get off to a poor start, that team will implode. The qb and hc are already fighting, but winning cures everything. Luck will be fine, even if his team has a worse record than last year, that dude is going to be tops in the league for the next 15 years. I also think the Colts understand that it's going to be a few years before they're legit contenders. There's just a dearth of talent on the roster.

Yo Chuck, please add this to the OP. By week 2 hopefully with the help of everyone I can weed out the old names on there. And I can also add the old images the past chart had.

IgXqAXS.jpg

I'm all primed up for the Texans Super Bowl Victory March 2013-14.

Probably going to have to buy some Texans dog jerseys for my pugs to maximize victory satisfaction.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Yo Chuck, please add this to the OP. By week 2 hopefully with the help of everyone I can weed out the old names on there. And I can also add the old images the past chart had.

IgXqAXS.jpg

woo i'm listed on Texans twice!

Squicken needs a few more teams, I don't think the 4 or 5 i counted is enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom