• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 1 |OT| - A new season dawns with champs vs chokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naked Lunch

12/9/2012: Seattle Seahawks def. Arizona Cardinals 58-0
10/26/1924: Cleveland Bulldogs def. Rochester Jeffersons 59-0
12/10/1925: Chicago Cardinals def. Milwaukee Badgers 59-0
11/7/1954: Cleveland Browns def. Washington Redskins 62-3
12/4/1976: Los Angeles Rams def. Atlanta Falcons 59-0
10/18/2009: New England Patriots def. Tennessee Titans 59-0
10/15/1922: Rock Island Independents def. Evansville Crimson Giants 60-0
10/7/1923: Chicago Cardinals def. Rochester Jeffersons 60-0
10/29/1922: Akron Pros def. Oorang Indians 62-0
11/6/1934: Philadelphia Eagles def. Cincinnati Reds 64-0
12/8/1940: Chicago Bears def. Washington Redskins 73-0

NFL is fucking doomed.
Your entire list shows complete shutouts - one team played D. Thanks for proving my point. Neither team played D tonight - nor does hardly anyone in the entire league anymore.

Naked Lunch

You're talking to a Seahawks fan. Come on, son.
Seahawks played decent D for one single year - woopdeeshit.
Lifelong Steelers fan. I know defense. We had the number 1 defense last year - I watched every second of last years' games and thought we played like shit on defense - yet we still finished 1st. Things are different and it aint ever going back. People want their 49-27 games and see no problems with it. Need dem fantasy points.

The score was 49-27. You cant spin this. Expect plenty more of this - expect plenty of records to be broken. Its not coincidence - its the rule changes, its the fines, and people love their high scores - I get it. Fantasy Football and fear of lawsuits run the show now. Defense in the NFL is dead.

the league is definitely slanted towards the offense but i wouldn't say defense is dead. for instance, last year was only the 4th highest scoring year on average in NFL history. top 3 were from the 40's, 50's and 60's!

there are still teams that play defense and play it well. stop with the hyperbole!

KaYotiX

Banned
The score was 49-27. You cant spin this. Expect plenty more of this - expect plenty of records to be broken. Its not coincidence - its the rule changes, its the fines, and people love their high scores - I get it. Fantasy Football and fear of lawsuits run the show now. Defense in the NFL is dead.

Then go watch soccer if u don't like scoring.

Lifelong Steelers fan. I know defense. We had the number 1 defense last year - I watched every second of last years' games and thought we played like shit on defense - yet we still finished 1st. Things are different and it aint ever going back. People want their 49-27 games and see no problems with it. Need dem fantasy points.

lol no you didn't, you had the #6 D. lets compare your "awful" D last year with what i assume you would call a great D from 1995... when the NFL still let people play defense!

2012 Steelers - #6 D, 19.6 ppg, 2963 passing yards, 1450 rushing yards
1995 Steelers - #9 D, allowed 20.4 ppg, 3240 passing yards, 1321 rushing yards

but then!

Milchjon

Then go watch soccer if u don't like scoring.

:-D

I don't think you should deduce a "the league is dooooooomed" opinion from a single game where one of the potentially highest powered teams went against a pretty bad D.

You'll still get your 6-7 games this season.

firen

Rodgers tossing 7 TDs Sunday!

dnkLq0c.jpg

You misspelled Rogers and interceptions.

cdyhybrid

12/9/2012: Seattle Seahawks def. Arizona Cardinals 58-0
10/26/1924: Cleveland Bulldogs def. Rochester Jeffersons 59-0
12/10/1925: Chicago Cardinals def. Milwaukee Badgers 59-0
11/7/1954: Cleveland Browns def. Washington Redskins 62-3
12/4/1976: Los Angeles Rams def. Atlanta Falcons 59-0
10/18/2009: New England Patriots def. Tennessee Titans 59-0
10/15/1922: Rock Island Independents def. Evansville Crimson Giants 60-0
10/7/1923: Chicago Cardinals def. Rochester Jeffersons 60-0
10/29/1922: Akron Pros def. Oorang Indians 62-0
11/6/1934: Philadelphia Eagles def. Cincinnati Reds 64-0
12/8/1940: Chicago Bears def. Washington Redskins 73-0

NFL is fucking doomed.

Dem old school team names!

Wes

venison crêpe
Hahahah I just saw the highlights. Ravens D looked absolutely pathetic. Those special team plays were hilarious.

Hahahah I just saw the highlights. Ravens D looked absolutely pathetic. Those special team plays were hilarious.

They're already missing Kruger, Ray Ray, Reed, that much is evident.

Also I can't believe that TD Return that wasn't, what a dumbass. Got his teammate injured too.

They're already missing Kruger, Ray Ray, Reed, that much is evident.

Also I can't believe that TD Return that wasn't, what a dumbass. Got his teammate injured too.

Was rooting for a Ravens comeback over 8 TD's for Manning at that point. I'm against Manning in fantasy though. :/

Joined 9 other leagues on ESPN for lulz that draft tomorrow morning when I'm sleeping. Gonna laugh if I happen to get Peyton in any of them.

I think my favorite thing about opening week is the insane over reactions to every little thing by people. I still stand by my 11-5 prediction, just ran into an amped up buzz saw in their own house. Great win Broncs. Oh and fuck you Angelos, that should of been a home game.

Vyroxis

Banned
I figured that the Ravens wouldn't win, but I expected more of a 27-24 shootout, not a 49-27 bitchslapping. Christ the Ravens looked lost out there.

Son of a bitch. Pathetic performance by Ravens and an epic touchdown feast by Manning. Bad news for me since I'm going up against a dude who has Manning.

linkboy

Son of a bitch. Pathetic performance by Ravens and an epic touchdown feast by Manning. Bad news for me since I'm going up against a dude who has Manning.

Me too, about the only saving grace was that I have Thomas, so that lessened the blow a lot.

As for the Ravens, losing all of those players showed. Still can't believe they traded Boldin away for next to nothing. He was Flacco's safety net last year.

Tom Penny

Stafford basically threw for 5K twice. A bum like him couldn't do that back in the day. Brees Brady and Stafford threw for 5K in the same year. Me thinks the rules had something to do with it..

WedgeX

Banned
Stafford basically threw for 5K twice. A bum like him couldn't do that back in the day. Brees Brady and Stafford threw for 5K in the same year. Me thinks the rules had something to do with it..

Megatron makes all things possible, friend.

And defenses aren't pulling any punches on him.

What is it with Steelers fans and assuming the entire league mirrors the quality of their team?

"Steelers are worse, NFL must be doomed!"

effzee

Didn't get to post while watching the game but wow holy hell did the Ravens get whopped.

It was a videogame performance and something honestly I always wondered why Manning couldn't do more of more often. Even last night there was some big time drops, Welkers fumble on the punt, and other mistakes which prevented them from possibly scoring more.

But the Ravens were in it and that blown call where Harbaugh didn't challenge completely changed the game. I almost felt sat for the Ravens by the end of the 3rd quarter.

Just glad I didn't play anyone who had Manning this week. Though Decker and Ball for me (in two separate leagues) did absolutely nothing. And Ball didn't even start or get the bulk of the carries. Might need to remove him from the flex spot I thought I had stolen him for and at.

BTW Squiken I had put in a waiver wire request for Julius Thomas during the game yesterday when to my shock I realized no one had picked him up. So yes technically "boo" me, it wasn't during the game.

DSmalls84

Had Demaryous Thomas and Ray Rice on my fantasy team, so I'm feeling pretty good after last night. Is Pierce going to continue to get almost as many carries as Rice? At least Rice was involved in the passing game a ton but it was still a little disappointing.

Tom Penny

So is it "these days" or stafford just throwing it everywhere? I'm confused.

It's a passing league based on the rules. If you think it's coincidence passing records are dropping like flies I don't know what to tell you. Thank Bill Polian and blame Belichick.

ok cool

Went to sleep last night thinking my opponent (who had Peyton) was going to throw to pretty much everybody BUT Demaryius so I went to bed.

Looks like he finally found the right Thomas in the end!

Still down by quite a bit...but I've got a good chance since DT netted me over 30. Wtf...nearly 65 points for Peyton in PPR though...

I have Matt Ryan...believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom