• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 1 |OT| - A new season dawns with champs vs chokes

Status
Not open for further replies.
skip this post Dutch

Welker's little change of direction at the 2 for a TD was amazing. Slot WRs aren't interchangeable. He's much better than the others. I really think BB is going to regret that move. If Decker can learn to catch that offense just has too much. It really is amazing the talent level Peyton has played with his whole career.

To be fair, Peyton really does make a lot of his receivers better by forcing them to pay attention to route running and consistency. Both Marvin and Reggie were something special, but Marvin was already slipping away by the 2006 Super Bowl. While Austin Collie was healthy, he made him an absolute beast. The second Peyton was gone, Collie couldn't do anything even when he was healthy enough to be on the field.

2010 was also a pretty rough year when both Collie and Clark went on IR, and had only Wayne and Garcon.

Both Demaryius and Decker really became a lot better because of Peyton. This year is just stupid levels of fortunate for Peyton on the receiving corps with Welker and Orange Julius. Hell, I'd almost put Andre Caldwell above Decker given his penchant for bone headed drops or invisible tackles sometimes.

bionic77

PeyPey sure likes to run up the score.

Can't blame him against Baltimore. But in general that mindset doesn't seem to translate well to the playoffs.

I don't know why the coaches of these "elite" qbs don't try and put a leash on their qb's more. Because the whole team is based around slangin and those teams usually have no plan B if a team can fuck it up in the playoffs. Why not spend time and develop the run game and some plays to take some pressure on PeyPey? As much as Flacco is a fraud you have to appreciate how much the Ravens coaches do to make his job as easy as possible. Granted that is easier with a guy like Rice in the backfield, but I can see the usual one and done for Peyton in the playoffs after an amazing statistical regular season.

jmdajr

Wow so the damage continued even after I went to bed.

I wish there had been more PeyPey to Decker....

oh well... I guess it's all Weckler now. :\

squicken

2010 was also a pretty rough year when both Collie and Clark went on IR, and had only Wayne and Garcon.

Both Demaryius and Decker really became a lot better because of Peyton. This year is just stupid levels of fortunate for Peyton on the receiving corps with Welker and Orange Julius. Hell, I'd almost put Andre Caldwell above Decker given his penchant for bone headed drops or invisible tackles sometimes.

Going from Tebow to Manning really isn't a good gauge of the level added by the QB. And poor 2010 Colts. Just Garcon who got $9m/yr from WAS and Wayne the Hall of Famer

This is a really good look at what WRs do for QBs.

http://www.footballperspective.com/john-elway-the-quarterback-version-of-dick-butkus/

Fantomex

Thanks for putting me on the list, Fantomex! I've never been as active on NFL-GAF as MLB-GAF but I'm way more wound up about football this year for some reason, so I checked the list and I'll be damned, I was already on it! That's perfect, thanks dude!

Anytime, all it takes is a couple of posts and a PM :)

effzee

Seriously. I get that they like Pierce and want to switch it up, but their distribution in the first half was idiotic.

Yeah ideally use Rice in any as many creative ways as possible to build a lead.

If by the 2nd half or 4rth quarter you have a comfortable lead bring in Pierce to pound the ball more traditionally.

Its just 1 game but their play calling seemed very bland. Even when they initially were trailing after the blown Welker catch call, the offense seemed predictable. I was expecting at least a screen pass or two to slow down the pass rush but nothing was switched up.

I still cant believe the Ravens got shellacked like that.
Its surreal.

Defense was good though! Suggs got a sack! They stopped Manning from getting 8 touchdowns!

I think lost in all the garbage is that Flacco threw for almost 400 yards and two touchdowns. Broncs defense wasn't great either. But the Rats were historically bad. It's become a cliché but they are missing Ray's leadership. Rats looked defeated halfway through the third quarter - nothing but hangdog faces on the sidelines.

Cagey

Banned
Defense was good though! Suggs got a sack! They stopped Manning from getting 8 touchdowns!

I think lost in all the garbage is that Flacco threw for almost 400 yards and two touchdowns. Broncs defense wasn't great either. But the Rats were historically bad. It's become a cliché but they are missing Ray's leadership. Rats looked defeated halfway through the third quarter - nothing but hangdog faces on the sidelines.

It took 62 attempts.

bionic77

I think lost in all the garbage is that Flacco threw for almost 400 yards and two touchdowns. Broncs defense wasn't great either. But the Rats were historically bad. It's become a cliché but they are missing Ray's leadership. Rats looked defeated halfway through the third quarter and played like it.
I though that it was obvious that the Ravens were going to get curb stomped by Denver (all of Denver wanted revenge for their epic choke job, it was at home, and regular season beatdowns are Peyton's speciality, along with commercials and oversized hats) and were going to suck this year.

Haven't you assholes been reading any of my posts?

Spinluck

To be fair, Peyton really does make a lot of his receivers better by forcing them to pay attention to route running and consistency. Both Marvin and Reggie were something special, but Marvin was already slipping away by the 2006 Super Bowl. While Austin Collie was healthy, he made him an absolute beast. The second Peyton was gone, Collie couldn't do anything even when he was healthy enough to be on the field.

The O-line was also atrocious in that 2010 year.

Probably the worst he's played with all around.

MechDX

Talent will only get you so far. Someone needs to be there to bring it all together and hold it together.

bionic77

I thought from the start of the game that Peyton looked good throwing the ball. Looks like he is fully recovered.

Of course he will probably lose all of that arm strength come playoff time if he keeps slangin it that much!

LJ11

Will EJ Manuel elevate the Bills over their angry and abusive older brother team?

Will Tom Brady throw 8 TD passes in response to Peyton's amazing performance?

Will Onpoint sob silently into his chicken wings as the Bills start 0-1 in yet another season?

Tune in Sunday to find out the answers to these and many more questions

Going to be ugly, hang in there though. There's always next year, and the year after, and the year after that.

MechDX

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9640099/peyton-manning-broncos-look-simply-super

DENVER -- As risky as it is to draw conclusions from season-opening games, it's hard not to be awed by what the Denver Broncos did to the Baltimore Ravens on Thursday night. It wasn't just the 49-27 final score or Peyton Manning's tying an NFL record with seven touchdown passes. It was the ease with which Denver rolled past the Ravens. It's as if the Broncos merely were waiting for the right time to show the world why they are the class of the AFC this season.

You can write it down now: The Broncos will be playing in this year's Super Bowl.

It begins!!!! Well thank god! Now I can keep my sanity and have free Sundays for the next 16 weeks. Thank you Peyton!

OnPoint

Anyone who comes in and openly supports the Bills is ok in my book. Welcome!

Oh and fuck Scott Norwood!
I've come to pity him over the years. The team really shit the bed as a whole that game (plus the Giants were good), but he shoulders all of the blame while the other people who went on to lose 3 more Super Bowls are treated as heroes around here. I love Kelly and Thurman and miss that level of talent, but come on, they were also to blame.

Going from Tebow to Manning really isn't a good gauge of the level added by the QB. And poor 2010 Colts. Just Garcon who got $9m/yr from WAS and Wayne the Hall of Famer

This is a really good look at what WRs do for QBs.

http://www.footballperspective.com/john-elway-the-quarterback-version-of-dick-butkus/

And to be clear, I'm not saying he hasn't had great weapons in many of his years (HoFs in Harrison, Wayne, Faulk and a beast like Edgerrin James are evident of that). I guess I'm just unnecessarily defending accusations that Peyton is only good because of the talent on his receiving corps (which I don't think you were saying).

MechDX

I've come to pity him over the years. The team really shit the bed as a whole that game (plus the Giants were good), but he shoulders all of the blame while the other people who went on to lose 3 more Super Bowls are treated as heroes around here. I love Kelly and Thurman and miss that level of talent, but come on, they were also to blame.

Someone told me here a couple years ago that it was a greeting in Buffalo.

"Hey man! How are you?"
"Im good! you?"
"Couldn't be better!"
"Well I gotta run."
"Ok later. Fuck scott Norwood!"
"Yeah Fuck scott norwood!"

Tamanon

Banned
http://www.uproxx.com/sports/2013/09/heres-a-game-of-thrones-sigil-for-every-nfl-team/

Nerd out

jags-650x406.jpg

You're being so generous. Guy threw 55% at less than 6 yards per attempt, and one of the touchdowns was a garbage gimme to Leach off a GL fake.

He was so bad.

Of course he was. Point that Broncs didn't look great. stayed on the field even when Flacco was derping it up. Reminded me of the past two seasons of Rats/Steelers games.

The O-line was also atrocious in that 2010 year.

Probably the worst he's played with all around.

I forget how good his O-lines used to be, where they could support both the pass and the run. Ever since Tarik Glenn retired, it feels like Colts (and more recently Broncos with all the injuries) have had to resort to full QB protect. I don't think he really likes throwing as much as he does, but usually within the 1st quarter or so after failing to establish any kind of consistent run, he resorts to checkdowns in substitions of runs.

OnPoint

Someone told me here a couple years ago that it was a greeting in Buffalo.

"Hey man! How are you?"
"Im good! you?"
"Couldn't be better!"
"Well I gotta run."
"Ok later. Fuck scott Norwood!"
"Yeah Fuck scott norwood!"
Sounds like a South Park skit lol

LJ11

Norwood made big kicks to get them to where they were, people forget that too.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
The Ravens should have faked more injuries. First game, so most guys aren't in shape to play a full 60 minutes, then add in Peyton running uptempo all game and the high altitude. I don't think Baltimore is quite as bad as they showed, but they're still going to go 8-8 this year.

JABEE

That final score is worse than most college scores. The NFL has turned into a total joke. Its impossible to play defense with all the rule changes and fear of fines. Its only going to worse too.

If that's the case, Chip Kelly is going to be in his element.

Hernandez would agree.

Fuck Pats fans. They're the worst, why can't they be humble Jags fans? Oh wait.

Maybe you should shut your fucking face! If you're team wasn't so god fucking awful, maybe you could do something about the inbound Broncos Super Bowl! Now it's up to us to stop them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom