• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 1 |OT| - A new season dawns with champs vs chokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
so I went out for a shake last night at halftime and one of the sports stations had some guy gloating about how the game was going to be close, and mocking everyone who said the broncos want revenge and the crowd is going to be epic. Wonder what he had to say in the second half?

Thought the refs did a pretty good job last night, there were some pretty hard hits last night where I was expecting a flag for "you hit him to hard" but it never came.

eznark

Banned
Report in with your fanTASTY football outcomes sports fans! The world wants to know how you (YES YOU!) are doing in the leagues that no one who reads the thread are participating in or give a fuck about! C'mon down narcissistic ass holes and let us know whether or not you think Matt Prater's extra points will put you over the top (HAHAHAHA HAVE YOU SEEN THAT MOVIE! ARM WRESTLING!!!!!!!! /kazooooooooooo noise) or if you are one of the unfortunate idiots who (ba ba da duuuuuuuuuum) left one of the Thomas twins (they don't look alike they just play alike! /notfullracist) on the bench (waaaa wahhhhhhhhhhh).

eznark in the mooooooooooooorning /dumbfuckjingle

Didn't get to post while watching the game but wow holy hell did the Ravens get whopped.

It was a videogame performance and something honestly I always wondered why Manning couldn't do more of more often. Even last night there was some big time drops, Welkers fumble on the punt, and other mistakes which prevented them from possibly scoring more.

But the Ravens were in it and that blown call where Harbaugh didn't challenge completely changed the game. I almost felt sat for the Ravens by the end of the 3rd quarter.

Just glad I didn't play anyone who had Manning this week. Though Decker and Ball for me (in two separate leagues) did absolutely nothing. And Ball didn't even start or get the bulk of the carries. Might need to remove him from the flex spot I thought I had stolen him for and at.

BTW Squiken I had put in a waiver wire request for Julius Thomas during the game yesterday when to my shock I realized no one had picked him up. So yes technically "boo" me, it wasn't during the game.

I forget the reason why I benched Ball before the game, but he's probably going to get dropped this week. Not sure why I thought he'd be a good depth RB.

dat Decker pick doe...RIP

Fantomex

so I went out for a shake last night at halftime and one of the sports stations had some guy gloating about how the game was going to be close, and mocking everyone who said the broncos want revenge and the crowd is going to be epic. Wonder what he had to say in the second half?

Thought the refs did a pretty good job last night, there were some pretty hard hits last night where I was expecting a flag for "you hit him to hard" but it never came.

That usually happens during Pats games.

this_guy

sillaydonkay.gif

I had the Broncos D in all 3 of my fantasy leagues.

I woke up this morning with things feeling bittersweet; I missed football proper so much - much more than I realized. I was glad it's back, and even gladder that Welker is out of the devil's hands now. But then I remembered that I have Eric Decker as my WR2 in a 12-team keeper league, and he's probably going to suck now that Welker is there. :(

LevelNth

Banned
Report in with your fanTASTY football outcomes sports fans! The world wants to know how you (YES YOU!) are doing in the leagues that no one who reads the thread are participating in or give a fuck about! C'mon down narcissistic ass holes and let us know whether or not you think Matt Prater's extra points will put you over the top (HAHAHAHA HAVE YOU SEEN THAT MOVIE! ARM WRESTLING!!!!!!!! /kazooooooooooo noise) or if you are one of the unfortunate idiots who (ba ba da duuuuuuuuuum) left one of the Thomas twins (they don't look alike they just play alike! /notfullracist) on the bench (waaaa wahhhhhhhhhhh).

Lol, after Game 1 of Week 1. Love it.

Wow did Peyton put on a show last night. Wow did the Ravens look awful. Wow is Flacco really not worth that contract. Wow does Welker ever not drop easy catches. Wow where the hell did Julius Thomas come from. Wow do the Ravens still not realize Ray Rice is their best player.

Wow football is back.

eznark

Banned
Manning wasn't particularly sharp and actually really struggled with accuracy and timing on a lot of throws, yet he still racked up almost 500 yards and 7 touchdowns.

Gonna be a long year, Baltimore.

Fantomex

Chuck if you could post this updated list on the front page please. Before 40 to 50 lifelongs from the Broncos PM me that "Hey that's totally my team, add me bruh".

qX6JJEk.jpg

Trying to figure out how I feel about the B-More D.

Still like them quite a bit despite the scoreboard. Defenses come along slower than offenses throughout a season so its not surprising to see them get shelled.

Basically is the Denver O that good or is the Baltimore D just bad?

Did it make you jealous seeing guys who aren't undersized and aren't afraid to play physical in the secondary?

I squirt some tears.

Bronc's D looked impressive. Outside of #91 who couldn't play the run to save his lyfe.

Talon

"EZNARK IN THE MORNING AND THE DOUCHEEEEEEE" /toiletflush

MV5BMTA0NDE5NTMwNjNeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDI0OTc5NDQ@._V1._SX400_SY600_.jpg

MechDX

EZ has a point. There is a dedicated FF league for a reason. Im sure its a week one thing and it will die down as the season goes on thanks thanks to this generations ADD.

LevelNth

Banned
Manning wasn't particularly sharp and actually really struggled with accuracy and timing on a lot of throws, yet he still racked up almost 500 yards and 7 touchdowns.

Have to disagree with that big time, but I will say I felt he really doesn't have the same ability to put the right zip on it he's used to, and that led to many of his missed throws last night.

Accuracy wise, his first TD passes to both Thomas' and the one to Caldwell were gloriously placed.

If we want to talk about someone who was horrifically inaccurate past 10+, let's talk about Flacco. Man oh man was he just wretched.

I woke up this morning with things feeling bittersweet; I missed football proper so much - much more than I realized. I was glad it's back, and even gladder that Welker is out of the devil's hands now. But then I remembered that I have Eric Decker as my WR2 in a 12-team keeper league, and he's probably going to suck now that Welker is there. :(
Poor baby.

tumblr_inline_mq5jaijp5L1qz4rgp.gif

lol I have Julio Jones/Garcon/Antonio Brown at Flex in a 16 teamer.

eznark

Banned
Have to disagree with that big time, but I will say I felt he really doesn't have the same ability to put the right zip on it he's used to, and that led to many of his missed throws last night.

Accuracy wise, his first TD passes to both Thomas' and the one to Caldwell were gloriously placed.

If we want to talk about someone who was horrifically inaccurate past 10+, let's talk about Flacco. Man oh man was he just wretched.

Go back and watch his throws on crossing routes in particular. Not sharp at all. And "zip" is part of accuracy and timing so I guess you're maybe just arguing bizarre semantics at this point?

squicken

skip this post Dutch

Welker's little change of direction at the 2 for a TD was amazing. Slot WRs aren't interchangeable. He's much better than the others. I really think BB is going to regret that move. If Decker can learn to catch that offense just has too much. It really is amazing the talent level Peyton has played with his whole career.

skip this post Dutch

Welker's little change of direction at the 2 for a TD was amazing. Slot WRs aren't interchangeable. He's much better than the others. I really think BB is going to regret that move. If Decker can learn to catch that offense just has too much. It really is amazing the talent level Peyton has played with his whole career.

This might be his most talented roster if Julius can stay consistent.

LevelNth

Banned
Go back and watch his throws on crossing routes in particular. Not sharp at all. And "zip" is part of accuracy and timing so I guess you're maybe just arguing bizarre semantics at this point?
We're likely referring to the same thing, my point was essentially that I don't think there is any difference from last season or that he looked any different. He's still Peyton with a weaker arm, and some throws are going to be off because of it.

The 7 TD's makes his day look better than it actually was too. He was great, but 3 of them came from inside the 10 (maybe even the 5? Drew Brees esque), and one was the bubble screen.

eznark

Banned
We're likely referring to the same thing, my point was essentially that I don't think there is any difference from last season or that he looked any different. He's still Peyton with a weaker arm, and some throws are going to be off because of it.

The 7 TD's makes his day look better than it actually was too. He was great, but 3 of them came from inside the 10 (maybe even the 5? Drew Brees esque), and one was the bubble screen.

Essentially, though I think if the exact same game happened in 8 weeks he only has 7 incompletions instead of 15. I also think it's noteworthy that he struggled a bit to hit those crossing routes as that is Welker's bred and butter.

Other big takeaway was give Ball the damn Ball. Guy looks great. He seems to have gotten even leaner from his last year at Wisco and that shake-n-bake he pulled at the goal line was sick. Hopefully he'll pick up some of the blitz reads and get to see the field a bit more. Moreno is garbage.

Talon

Essentially, though I think if the exact same game happened in 8 weeks he only has 7 incompletions instead of 15. I also think it's noteworthy that he struggled a bit to hit those crossing routes as that is Welker's bred and butter.

Other big takeaway was give Ball the damn Ball. Guy looks great. He seems to have gotten even leaner from his last year at Wisco and that shake-n-bake he pulled at the goal line was sick. Hopefully he'll pick up some of the blitz reads and get to see the field a bit more. Moreno is garbage.
They clearly didn't trust Ball to pick up blocks, and he lined up on the wrong side of Manning one or two times.

Thanks for putting me on the list, Fantomex! I've never been as active on NFL-GAF as MLB-GAF but I'm way more wound up about football this year for some reason, so I checked the list and I'll be damned, I was already on it! That's perfect, thanks dude!

squicken

Yeah they seemed to have no intnetion of running it down at the goal line. They had one drive where they tried with Ball but otherwise just exploited all those matchups. And I'm sure others will play that better. BAL was trying to chase through bunches and picks and you just can't do that

Greg Cosell brought this up on a podcast, where the new go to play for offenses on the goal line is to go trips to the open side, have the tight end go to the corner, and if there's a LB over him there's no way that backer can get through the bodies to get to that TE. Switch it off and one of the outside WRs will break open. Commit a safety and there aren't enough bodies to stop the run

effzee

Had Demaryous Thomas and Ray Rice on my fantasy team, so I'm feeling pretty good after last night. Is Pierce going to continue to get almost as many carries as Rice? At least Rice was involved in the passing game a ton but it was still a little disappointing.

Yeah there were whole series where Rice was on the sideline.

I know they don't want to over use him but without all your other offensive players (Jacoby Jones and Oher) and a very old busted Dallas Clark, might as well keep him in for week 1 and try to get the most out of him. He is clearly their best offensive player and should be in all the time.

I forget the reason why I benched Ball before the game, but he's probably going to get dropped this week. Not sure why I thought he'd be a good depth RB.

dat Decker pick doe...RIP

I think Decker will get his throughout the season. They are primarily a passing team even within the redzone and as teams adjust to Welker, Decker will get his looks.

Keep in mind Peyton hit him with a perfect pass on a fade route that Decker just dropped in the endzone.

Both guys also had some drops by their guys.

Flacco was terrible but Dallas Clark was awful as well. He dropped a sure TD and just looked slow, old, and lost a lot of times. The other TE (Dickson?) dropped a couple of key passes which would have gone for a 1st down.

Its funny how much the game changed after that blown Welker call. They call that right or Harbaugh challenges, who knows how the rest of the game goes.

Tom Penny

skip this post Dutch

Basically all players are interchangeable with the elite 4 QB's. They will all produce regardless. Pats lost Welker and the only tenured WR is Edelman. They will likely still be top 10 in points this year.

OnPoint

Will EJ Manuel elevate the Bills over their angry and abusive older brother team?

Will Tom Brady throw 8 TD passes in response to Peyton's amazing performance?

Will Onpoint sob silently into his chicken wings as the Bills start 0-1 in yet another season?

Tune in Sunday to find out the answers to these and many more questions

MechDX

Will EJ Manuel elevate the Bills over their angry and abusive older brother team?

Will Tom Brady throw 8 TD passes in response to Peyton's amazing performance?

Will Onpoint sob silently into his chicken wings as the Bills start 0-1 in yet another season?

Tune in Sunday to find out the answers to these and many more questions

Anyone who comes in and openly supports the Bills is ok in my book. Welcome!

Oh and fuck Scott Norwood!

Poor baby.

tumblr_inline_mq5jaijp5L1qz4rgp.gif

lol I have Julio Jones/Garcon/Antonio Brown at Flex in a 16 teamer.

I got Julio Jones/Decker/CAR Steve Smith, with TB Mike Williams at flex. I am sure to be crying soon. :(

Anyway, Peyton's weaker arm is evident but overstated. He's never going to have to throw some crazy long bombs in this offense ever. As long as he can get a functional ball to Thomas/Decker every now and again, he's going to be juuuuuuuussssst fine.

LevelNth

Banned

It's possible, but it's also possible his arm is just getting worse with age. I never bought the claims this offseason that he was back to his pre-injury form.

Yeah, that backfield is going to be a mess. Ball didn't even run that well last night, but it's clear he's the most talented; Moreno and Ball are both super meh. Problem is Moreno seems to be the only one to 'get' that offense and not suck at everything other than running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom