• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 1 |OT| - A new season dawns with champs vs chokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naked Lunch

What is it with Steelers fans and assuming the entire league mirrors the quality of their team?

"Steelers are worse, NFL must be doomed!"
The Steelers didnt play last night. 49-27. Expect plenty more of the same. The fact that I am defending the Ravens should tell you something.
Being a life long Steeler fan means I understand defense and how great defense is meant to be played. You cannot play legitimate defense in the NFL anymore - I say that as an observer of every game and any team. 99% of incomplete pass attempts have QB and receiver crying bloody murder for PI - the flag is tossed more often than not. Fear of fines has turned players soft, they pass on hitting receivers and QBs - why take the financial risk? The entire league is a softer, offensive pass happy league now. Its been going this route for several years and its only going to get worse. Celebrating offensive records being broken is a complete joke in this era.

The NFL is not doomed, people love it these days and its gaining in popularity, fantasy football has a lot to do with this and people love high scoring games - its just most of these new fans dont even know what defense is nor will they ever. Its the old game that is dead.

squicken

Do people really think Amendola will do for New England what Welker did? Serious question - I haven't watched Amendola play. Being bigger and faster than Welker doesn't guarantee you have a better version of Welker.

He's good but not as good as Welker. Biggest issue is health. Pats just need he and Gronk healthy for the playoffs

Tom Penny

Do people really think Amendola will do for New England what Welker did? Serious question - I haven't watched Amendola play. Being bigger and faster than Welker doesn't guarantee you have a better version of Welker.

He won't be as good this year but will put up 90 / 1000+ yards and like 7 TD's IF big IF he's on the field for 16 games.

Does anyone think the Pats still won't have a top 10 offense even though every single receiver other than Edleman and injured Gronk are basically new?

squicken

He won't be as good this year but will put up 90 / 1000+ yards and like 7 TD's IF big IF he's on the field for 16 games.

Does anyone think the Pats still won't have a top 10 offense even though every single receiver other than Edleman and injured Gronk are basically new?

Of course they will have a good offense. Pats, Packers, Falcons and Broncos will all coast over bad defenses in the regular season.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
DBlock is back for a second season!

BTfp_mPIAAAz-92.jpg

I'm sure we'll get the video later on today!

Go Falcons!

Tom Penny

Of course they will have a good offense. Pats, Packers, Falcons and Broncos will all coast over bad defenses in the regular season.

Pretty much...then when it comes to the Pats..their weak outside WR always end up losing to press man coverage or of course Pollard takes out a vital member of the team lol

LJ11

I'm surprised the Patriots are a 9.5 point favorite over the Bills on the road. I think it'll be closer than that, assuming Manuel is fully healthy. I don't expect a big game from Stevie Johnson against Talib, but Manuel should be able to spread the ball around and get some deep shots to Goodwin and Graham. If they can get Spiller the ball in space against the linebackers, he'll be a threat to score every time he gets a touch.

I think Steve can destroy Talib all day every day, won't matter though. Steve gets open but it's what the QB sees/does that matters.

Bills will get wrecked, no secondary, poor linebackers and an offense that hasn't played together for most of the preseason. Not a good recipe.

Report in with your fanTASTY football outcomes sports fans! The world wants to know how you (YES YOU!) are doing in the leagues that no one who reads the thread are participating in or give a fuck about! C'mon down narcissistic ass holes and let us know whether or not you think Matt Prater's extra points will put you over the top (HAHAHAHA HAVE YOU SEEN THAT MOVIE! ARM WRESTLING!!!!!!!! /kazooooooooooo noise) or if you are one of the unfortunate idiots who (ba ba da duuuuuuuuuum) left one of the Thomas twins (they don't look alike they just play alike! /notfullracist) on the bench (waaaa wahhhhhhhhhhh).

eznark in the mooooooooooooorning /dumbfuckjingle
This is a great post.

Tom Penny

Pats spread is so big because of past history. Their average win @ Buffalo in the Brady era is 33-13 or something disgusting like that.Better than at Gillette. That's with a 31-0 loss to them after cutting Lawyer.

Defense was good though! Suggs got a sack! They stopped Manning from getting 8 touchdowns!

I think lost in all the garbage is that Flacco threw for almost 400 yards and two touchdowns. Broncs defense wasn't great either. But the Rats were historically bad. It's become a cliché but they are missing Ray's leadership. Rats looked defeated halfway through the third quarter - nothing but hangdog faces on the sidelines.

Had no idea he threw for that much. He left so much on the field. So much. Horrible decisions, bad/inaccurate passes, etc., and he still managed to get that much?

I know it's always exaggerated but I wonder how much the thin air /high elevation affected the Ravens. Would make sense that perhaps they weren't so much defeated halfway through but just fatigued.

eznark

Banned
Just waiting for the Cardinals to make the Super Bowl again before jumping back in.

Leinart, it's pathetic how he's been treated. Almost like a Sanchez situation where the guy never got a fair shake in the NFL despite the talent.

See, he is a real person! He's already contributed more than Bob.

Bowser

Mike Mitchell doubtful for Seattle. Quintin Mikell likely to start at SS (yes, the guy we signed a week ago lol - at least he's familiar with the Seahawks).

ChanHuk

Banned
Mike Mitchell doubtful for Seattle. Quintin Mikell likely to start at SS (yes, the guy we signed a week ago lol - at least he's familiar with the Seahawks).

God Mike Mitchell is fuckin horrid. Fuck that year Al drafted him, all horrible picks.

Bowser

God Mike Mitchell is fuckin horrid. Fuck that year Al drafted him, all horrible picks.

Yeah, I'm uh, not that broken up over Mitchell being doubtful. Guy is ok, but he's good for 1 or 2 personal foul flags and game and doesn't stop running his mouth. Plus, Mikell was a top 5 SS according to PFF last year. I'll take it.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Man trying to watch Browns games legally in Canada must suck!

Must be all Broncos, Pats and Cowboys games up there. Oh and the Bills!

yeah I had to order Sunday Ticket just for the right to watch them lose game after game.

Also sucks that I can't just order Sunday Ticket up here I have to get the packages for all the major sports leagues (NBA, NHL, MLB) as well it throws in some college sports and Nascar.

And yeah we get pretty much every Bills game unfortunately, but if not that usually the bigger teams like you said.

Fuck the Bills.

The Steelers didnt play last night. 49-27. Expect plenty more of the same. The fact that I am defending the Ravens should tell you something.
Being a life long Steeler fan means I understand defense and how great defense is meant to be played. You cannot play legitimate defense in the NFL anymore - I say that as an observer of every game and any team. 99% of incomplete pass attempts have QB and receiver crying bloody murder for PI - the flag is tossed more often than not. Fear of fines has turned players soft, they pass on hitting receivers and QBs - why take the financial risk? The entire league is a softer, offensive pass happy league now. Its been going this route for several years and its only going to get worse. Celebrating offensive records being broken is a complete joke in this era.

The NFL is not doomed, people love it these days and its gaining in popularity, fantasy football has a lot to do with this and people love high scoring games - its just most of these new fans dont even know what defense is nor will they ever. Its the old game that is dead.

lolololllll and yet you respond to none of my posts from last night debunking this. just because the steelers suck fucking dick right now doesn't mean every team does. there were plenty of good, clean, hard hits last night that WERE NOT flagged. there were plenty of contested passes where a flag was not thrown on the defense. infact.... there was even an offensive PI called!

you are just looking at the past through rose tinted goggles. is scoring up in the league? yes, by about 3 points on average per team from the early 90's. FUCK THIS FUCKING LEAGUE CAN'T PLAY DEFENSE NO MORE ITS LIKE ARENA LEAGUE!

cdyhybrid

lolololllll and yet you respond to none of my posts from last night debunking this. just because the steelers suck fucking dick right now doesn't mean every team does. there were plenty of good, clean, hard hits last night that WERE NOT flagged. there were plenty of contested passes where a flag was not thrown on the defense. infact.... there was even an offensive PI called!

you are just looking at the past through rose tinted goggles. is scoring up in the league? yes, by about 3 points on average per team from the early 90's. FUCK THIS FUCKING LEAGUE CAN'T PLAY DEFENSE NO MORE ITS LIKE ARENA LEAGUE!

That extra field goal makes all the difference brah!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom