• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 1 |OT| - A new season dawns with champs vs chokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechDX

That's what came to mind. Except this year I think the Texans will benefit from the experience of last year's losses -- mainly Schaub. It's mainly just the health of Foster and Reed that are concerning. Still believe a healthy Texans teams makes it to the AFC Championship game this year.

Our OLB's will make or break this team. Mark my words..

I

I agree with you on all points. My concern is that the Pats were slaughtering their division last year. Even if the fins are more competitive, are they 4-2 in the division competitive? Sweep the Pats competitive? I just don't see it, not in year 1 of an improved team.

Man you are bringing me down. The only thing I have to look forward to, outside of what is Chip going to do, is seeing the Pats finally stumble in the regular season.

Texans have yet to prove they can beat good teams. Steelers were a paper tiger in 11 and the Rats were on their last legs last year. Personally I don't think they can, not while Kubiak is coach.

squicken

I'm really getting sick and tired with this Cincinnati bandwagon every sports analyst seems to be on right now. Bugging me to no end. Just want the Browns to win the division so they can troll everyone. And they can do it! I believe in them.

Bengals are just better. It's Pittsburgh's division as long as Ben is healthy for 14 games, though

Man you are bringing me down. The only thing I have to look forward to, outside of what is Chip going to do, is seeing the Pats finally stumble in the regular season.

Bro I want the Dolphins to slaughter them too. I'm just being realistic.

Is there any team you think will be good this year?

I think the Texans will be good, don't get me wrong. I just think they were like the Steelers in the early 2000's - weak against powerhouse teams.

MechDX

Texans have yet to prove they can beat good teams. Steelers were a paper tiger in 11 and the Rats were on their last legs last year. Personally I don't think they can, not while Kubiak is coach.

I can see your opinion but I don't totally agree. They were their own worst enemy last year. They started reading and believing their own hype and think about it: there was NO veteran leadership with experience in a playoff run to right them. I also still think schaub was injured an opinion that Smokey validated a couple days ago.

I firmly believe they did learn from it and Reed was brought in just for that reason and the two clowns (Barwin and Shawn Cody) responsible for the jackets and the stupid "On the Nose" segments on NFLN are no longer with the team.

Falcons will win the division with ease

Yeah, no. New Orleans is going to be a lot better this year and something is going to give with Carolina eventually. Falcons lucked out on a lot of close games last year. That won't happen against teams like San Francisco, Seattle (again), New England or Green Bay.

Raiders will not be starting Menelik Watson, who stepped in to replace Veldheer at left tackle and was looking decent. We'll be starting Khalif Barnes (who played Guard) there, and Tony Pashos (Newly acquired freeagent) at Guard.

I'm not happy about this, but...it's the Raiders.

squicken

Saw this on Twitter. What a cool photo

You can Suh using his trip thing where he tries to tangle up the legs of QBs as he sacks them

29989638f301994119525qxmi.jpeg

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Raiders will not be starting Menelik Watson, who stepped in to replace Veldheer at left tackle and was looking decent. We'll be starting Khalif Barnes (who played Guard) there, and Tony Pashos (Newly acquired freeagent) at Guard.

RIPryor

I can see your opinion but I don't totally agree. They were their own worst enemy last year. They started reading and believing their own hype and think about it: there was NO veteran leadership with experience in a playoff run to right them. I also still think schaub was injured an opinion that Smokey validated a couple days ago.

I firmly believe they did learn from it and Reed was brought in just for that reason and the two clowns (Barwin and Shawn Cody) responsible for the jackets and the stupid "On the Nose" segments on NFLN are no longer with the team.

That clownshoes shit wasn't doing them any favors I agree. The thing is that grit and toughness that is required to beat elite teams usually comes from 2 places - the coach and QB. I don't think Kubiak has that killer instinct and Schoob...well..

As for Reed, Reed is not a leader. He's a whiner with immense talent. I'll be surprised if he plays 6 games including playoffs for the Texans this year.

Watching NFC Playbook and seeing all the 0 blitzes Rob Ryan called in the preseason seems very worrying. I am just not sure if they have the personal to play that super aggressive style.

Saints defense has always been shit. I don't see why it's a dealbreaker for them this year.

Payton being gone was detrimental to the offense, not defense.

Not really sold on New Orleans. Their defense was terrible and I dont think they made enough changes.

Falcon's isn't much better. Both teams are glass cannons that rely on out gunning their opponents. Let's see how they hold up when Brady, Kaepernick, and Rodgers are able to keep up.

Saw this on Twitter. What a cool photo

You can Suh using his trip thing where he tries to tangle up the legs of QBs as he sacks them

:jnc

That Cutler face. It's almost Animal Crossing like.

MechDX

That clownshoes shit wasn't doing them any favors I agree. The thing is that grit and toughness that is required to beat elite teams usually comes from 2 places - the coach and QB. I don't think Kubiak has that killer instinct and Schoob...well..

As for Reed, Reed is not a leader. He's a whiner with immense talent. I'll be surprised if he plays 6 games including playoffs for the Texans this year.

I just don't see Reed being ok with the sophomore hijinks. Im hoping Kubiaks lack of killer instinct, which I cant defend BTW, finally does show since he has been through the same challenges as the team. Rick Smith and Bob McNair made some offseason comments to the fact that QB's are evaluated based on their championships. A Comment aimed squarely at Schaubiak.

Personnel wise the Texans are more talented overall than any team in the league except the Niners.

I just don't see Reed being ok with the sophomore hijinks. Im hoping Kubiaks lack of killer instinct, which I cant defend BTW, finally does show since he has been through the same challenges as the team. Rick Smith and Bob McNair made some offseason comments to the fact that QB's are evaluated based on their championships. A Comment aimed squarely at Schaubiak.

Personnel wise the Texans are more talented overall than any team in the league except the Niners.

More then the Packers, Broncos, or Seahawks?

That's what bugs me about the Texans. The team is stacked, particularly on offense. Yet they wilted in big games.

I think their first big test will be on Oct 06 against the Niners. Punch them in the mouth and it'll go a long way to proving they can make noise in the playoffs.

More then the Packers, Broncos, or Seahawks?

Seahawks are excused.

Texans have Watt, Cushing and Reed. Denver has Miller, who's suspended. Let's not even talk about Green Bay's defense.

Texans have Foster and Tate. Bronco's certainly don't have a running game, and Green Bay doesn't know how the Lacy experiment is going to wind up.

The only thing the Texan's lack is receiving core depth and an elite QB. That's all the other two have, except maybe an O-Line in Denver's case.

Packers are Broncos have Elite QB's and better WR's. Broncos have a great OL, and some good pieces on D. Seahawks have the best D in football, a really good OL, and a great rushing attack, plus Wilson was out of his mind the 2nd half of last year. Not saying the Texans dont have a lot of good players, they obviously do, but I definitely would take the Broncos roster over theirs, and the other 2 I would say are really close if in slightly better. I guess a lot depends on how Schaub plays this year if he is 100% healthy, and how does Foster/Tate do.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
But it is black and white. They won 3 rings, got caught for cheating, and haven't won anything since. That is pure, 100% fact, no matter how you try and spin it.
Post hoc ergo propter hoc

Which is a logical fallacy. Stop making Seahawks fans look like morons, cdy. We aren't 49ers fans.

I think Watson might be out a few weeks from the way Lil Wiz was talking. Sucks, but at least Indy has a weak front 7.

Also you got your positions mixed up. Barnes is our RT, and Pashos is stepping in for him there. They were pretty decent bookends for the Jags a few years back, but yeah.. Pryor's gonna be running a lot.

I'm more concerned about our D and Sio Moore possibly being out, but it sounds like he's gonna play.

If I had to rank a team based on how stacked it is for talent I would do it thusly:

1. Broncos
2. Niners
3. Texans.

If Montee Ball turns into a threat the Broncos have no weaknesses on offense. The defense (with Von) is good. Remains to be seen if Doom gone will affect them.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc

Which is a logical fallacy. Stop making Seahawks fans look like morons, cdy. We aren't 49ers fans.

lololol

i already see what you are doing bruh. you want to discount obvious cheating as "not a big deal" because your own team has proven to be cheaters and you don't want people to call any success your team has into question. too late. it has been proven over and over and over and over and over again that the seahawks have a cheating system in place. sure, sometimes they'll get off on a ryan braun-ish bullshit technicality, but the word is out. where there's smoke there's fire! and with the seachickens the stink starts at the top and trickles down to each and every cheater on your squad!

accept what you are and that nothing you do will ever be legitimate until you stop the cheating. the patriots stopped (well, were forced to stop) their cheating ways and it has told us a lot about them: 0 championships since

They might not be S tier without Harvin, but it'd be a mistake to put them below B tier. Besides, elite WRs aren't what you base an offense on anyway, as the Lions demonstrate.

heheheaha you actually believe the seahawks WRs are "S tier" with harvin?! harvin isn't even a top 20 WR in this league for the 6 games a year he is healthy. thumbs down bruh

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Another fmtscript post, I see. At least you guys are great with computers. Can't take that away from you.

Also, great QBs make their recievers better, so that would naturally follow with Wilson throwing to them.

rando14

They might not be S tier without Harvin, but it'd be a mistake to put them below B tier. Besides, elite WRs aren't what you base an offense on anyway, as the Lions demonstrate.

Tate gonna break out this year! :cool:

Not sure how I feel about Sidney rice though...

cdyhybrid

Rice was good last year. If he stays healthy we'll be good. Rice, Tate (breakout year), Baldwin (always steady), Kearse (breakout year), Stephen Williams (da gawd). I'm more concerned about TE. If Miller goes down we're kinda SOL, even though Willson has potential - he's still only a rookie. Gonna see a lot more 3 WR sets this season.

Rice was good last year. If he stays healthy we'll be good. Rice, Tate (breakout year), Baldwin (always steady), Kearse (breakout year), Stephen Williams (da gawd). I'm more concerned about TE. If Miller goes down we're kinda SOL, even though Willson has potential - he's still only a rookie. Gonna see a lot more 3 WR sets this season.

you don't have one receiver on your roster better than old ass boldin. that is sad

squicken

Can't remember where I read it, but Russell lead the league in attempted passes from outside the pocket (26%). He also lead the league in scrambles with 50. As much as people try and convince me that he is just fine in the pocket, I'm not sure that's true. His height is something he and the staff have to manage. He did do well playing catchup in the playoffs, but I'm not sure he can be a volume passer

CAR has such a bad group of DBs. I think the front 7 can stop the run and contain Wilson, but I just see them giving up couple of big passes off play action. That is the noon game I'm most interested in seeing

Can't remember where I read it, but Russell lead the league in attempted passes from outside the pocket (26%). He also lead the league in scrambles with 50. As much as people try and convince me that he is just fine in the pocket, I'm not sure that's true. His height is something he and the staff have to manage. He did do well playing catchup in the playoffs, but I'm not sure he can be a volume passer

CAR has such a bad group of DBs. I think the front 7 can stop the run and contain Wilson, but I just see them giving up couple of big passes off play action. But that is the noon game I'm most interested in seeing

Wilson had some great passes from the pocket last year and especially in the 2nd half of the playoff game against the Falcons. Surprised to see you doubting him.

cdyhybrid

Harvin plays a max of 6 games a year, Sidney rice is trash and kearse is just another preseason hero that will fade into the abyss when the games count. Accept it!

We only need Harvin for 3 games, so we'll be alright. Rice's physical durability is trash, but he's a top-flight WR. He's been great when he had Favre and second-half Russell throwing to him. Kearse is a Husky so he's destined for greatness.

9ers fans, will we be in trouble with Hayward being out? Outside of Boldin do you even have any receivers? Not that it takes much against our D, but just looking at the roster it doesn't seem like a powerhouse
It'll depend on how well Hyde/House plays, tbh. (I'm speculating they might try House inside in a pinch, more likely than not it'll be the rook)

Not expecting much in his first game, but he's got the talent to be a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom