• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 1 |OT| - A new season dawns with champs vs chokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Can't remember where I read it, but Russell lead the league in attempted passes from outside the pocket (26%). He also lead the league in scrambles with 50. As much as people try and convince me that he is just fine in the pocket, I'm not sure that's true. His height is something he and the staff have to manage. He did do well playing catchup in the playoffs, but I'm not sure he can be a volume passer
Two words: pass protection. It was clear watching the games that he wasn't even allowed much time in the pocket.

The o-line getting back in form is my main concern going into Sunday's game

squicken

Wilson had some great passes from the pocket last year and especially in the 2nd half of the playoff game against the Falcons. Surprised to see you doubting him.

It's a tendency that the league couldn't adapt to last year, that they will have spent a whole offseason recognizing and game planning for. He threw very well from the pocket vs ATL, but their defensive game plan was asinine. It's not that I doubt Russell is a good QB, but I think Kap is the guy who will be the "elite" guy alongside Luck

Can't remember where I read it, but Russell lead the league in attempted passes from outside the pocket (26%). He also lead the league in scrambles with 50. As much as people try and convince me that he is just fine in the pocket, I'm not sure that's true. His height is something he and the staff have to manage. He did do well playing catchup in the playoffs, but I'm not sure he can be a volume passer

CAR has such a bad group of DBs. I think the front 7 can stop the run and contain Wilson, but I just see them giving up couple of big passes off play action. That is the noon game I'm most interested in seeing
Trust your eyes on Wilson. He'll suffer from the same problems Brees does, which means it'll take some time and work -- he needs throwing lanes in the o-line as well as the secondary, as opposed to just the latter.
Unless JJ Watt is involved, in which case every QB has to worry

This year he might have trouble. That bad offensive line compounds the issue, but I'm sure with quality coaching he'll be able to... oh.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Wilson's passing over the middle was better than any other target area last year.

Also, leave it to 49er fans to talk out of their ass regarding other rosters. Like coach, like fans.

I was just going to mention Brees. You always hear that the book on him is for the DL to get push up the middle and get their hands up into the passing lanes, and yet it never makes a difference. He just carves teams up. I think Kap, Wilson, and Luck will all be great and all win a SB at some point unless something unforeseen happens to them. It really is a great time to be a football fan.

cdyhybrid

That's the book on almost any QB, though. If you don't get push up the middle against pocket guys, they'll just step up in the pocket around the edge rushers and find the open guy.

squicken

Wilson's passing over the middle was better than any other target area last year.

I think when he sees it, he hits it. I just think there will be efforts made to keep him in the pocket and he will need to develop that side to side movement Brees has to find throwing lanes. Last year he just bolted if it wasn't there right away

Also, leave it to 49er fans to talk out of their ass regarding other rosters. Like coach, like fans.

and leave it to seachickens fans to get butthurt when someone says something that is true i.e. your receivers are either unknown or injury prone... sort of like when harbaugh condemned brandon browner for being a cheater (a fact which he admitted to as he did not contest his suspension) and then browner went all roid rage and wanted to fight harbs. like unreasonable players, like unreasonable fans!

squicken

and leave it to seachickens fans to get butthurt when someone says something that is true i.e. your receivers are either unknown or injury prone... sort of like when harbaugh condemned brandon browner for being a cheater (a fact which he admitted to as he did not contest his suspension) and then browner went all roid rage and wanted to fight harbs. like unreasonable players, like unreasonable fans!

idk FMT you guys are probably going to lose Week 2. Lot of crap you'll have to live down when/if it happens

FMT already has the "cheating" excuse ready so he never has to accept inferiority.

Not worried about week 2. We already proved we were the better team last year despite your cheating. I know week 2 is the Seahawks Super Bowl but we understand its a long season and we will be playing in feb while the chickens are watching at home again!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Not worried about week 2. We already proved we were the better team last year despite your cheating. I know week 2 is the Seahawks Super Bowl but we understand its a long season and we will be playing in feb while the chickens are watching at home again!
Another copy/paste fmtscript post.

zzzzzz

The copy/paste comeback is also a copy/paste post!

Down the rabbit hole we go!

99cf8f_3483832.jpg

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I didn't say copy/paste the last time! Unlike our friend, FMT, I can discern new information and incorporate it into my posts instead of simply pulling out stock responses when given the appropriate trigger.

I just find the copy/paste banter amusing considering all trash talk reduces to:

"your team sucks,"
"yeah well YOUR team sucks!"
"but even so your team sucks more!"

In this spirit, both Russell Football and Kap are flashes in the pan who will be irrelevant this year.

All hail the true great 2012 rookie QB, Brandon Weeden.

The NFL should have saved 9ers Seahawks for the last 2 weeks of the season. I guess they were afraid one team would clinch before then, but those games would have been epic if they decided the division.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I just find the copy/paste banter amusing considering all trash talk reduces to:

"your team sucks,"
"yeah well YOUR team sucks!"
"but even so your team sucks more!"
The reasoning/support is what makes it interesting.

For example, making fun of Flacco's claim of elite status is far more fun when he underperforms in the face of an actual elite performance. Saying he sucks JUST BECAUSE is lame.

The reasoning/support is what makes it interesting.

For example, making fun of Flacco's claim of elite status is far more fun when he underperforms in the face of an actual elite performance. Saying he sucks JUST BECAUSE is lame.
But we're not here for facts, we're here for hyperbole!

Milchjon

Would recent Bills history have played out differently if they won those 4 SBs? Would players want to play for such a storied franchise, even though the city doesn't offer the same lifestyle as others? Seems to work for Green Bay.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Would recent Bills history have played out differently if they won those 4 SBs? Would players want to play for such a storied franchise, even though the city doesn't offer the same lifestyle as others? Seems to work for Green Bay.

Well, considering nobody liked the Pats until 2001, yeah. Success breeds fandom. Fandom brings pride. Pride and money bring players.

And it all starts with the right coach.

sonicmj1

Maybe all the bandwagoners who became Cowboys fans in the 90s would have turned into Bills fans instead.

That'd be an odd universe to live in.

Brinbe

even just one win would've changed things

Hunter S.

Maybe all the bandwagoners who became Cowboys fans in the 90s would have turned into Bills fans instead.

That'd be an odd universe to live in.

Nah, Texas is hugely populated and every redneck in the US that thinks they are a tobacco spitting tough Cowboy likes the Cowboys. Rednecks feed the Cowboys popularity.

Narag

Raiders will not be starting Menelik Watson, who stepped in to replace Veldheer at left tackle and was looking decent. We'll be starting Khalif Barnes (who played Guard) there, and Tony Pashos (Newly acquired freeagent) at Guard.

I'm not happy about this, but...it's the Raiders.

Good news at last.

No offense to Buffalo, but isn't it a bit of a shithole?

I mean, Green Bay is boring as hell, but at least you won't be catching a bullet there.

A better analogue might be Cleveland. Or Detroit. Or St Louis...

Damn.

We got fuuuuuuuuucked up.

Sure did but look at the bright side, that was our toughest game on the schedule and it's already out of the way. Next is Browns, Texans, @Bills, @Miami. I like us in all four of those games, and all these new parts we added are going to get better together as the year goes on. After Miami is Green Bay but that's in Baltimore and hopefully Rice can Kaepernick (btw auto-correct suggested pumpernickle) their D. Batch is out of Pittsburgh so I ain't scared of no Squeelers. AD is more than likely going to rip us to shreds, thank God the Vikes don't have a QB. There's a chance Brady puts on her "tough-guy" panties and comes hard looking for some payback but that's a home game as well.

I know I'm a big homer but I don't feel like I'm going into :kas territory when I say I feel we can hit 11-5 and a 3 seed. That ass-whooping hurt but it's not like Manning doesn't have a history of shredding us. He's beaten us every time he's faced us, except that one time he didn't.
Hail Rahim Morris/Full of grace/Blessed be thy name, The pass is thrown/Thy coverage blown/Our road to the Superbowl secure

Still not convinced about the Patriots. Too many ifs and maybes.

Dolphins have a damn good chance IMO. Hell I picked em to win the division.
Bless you, Mech.

CAR has such a bad group of DBs. I think the front 7 can stop the run and contain Wilson, but I just see them giving up couple of big passes off play action. That is the noon game I'm most interested in seeing
I agree, that will be a great game to watch. For some reason I'm choosing to believe in the Panthers this year, and this game is a great early test of that faith.

jakncoke

Banned
I mean, football I cyclical. The cycles can go for decades. But no team stays terrible forever.

I mean, we're pushing the boundaries of that, but still...our day will come.

If the Pirates can break, so can the Bills. But I hope they dont break it till they beat Pirates streak of sub .500 seasons or at least beat a playoffless streak of sorts 8 years(9 soon) of sub .500 ball and 13(14 soon) of no playoffs. How bout you guys make the playoffs this century already ;)

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
If the Pirates can break, so can the Bills. But I hope they dont break it till they beat Pirates streak of sub .500 seasons or at least beat a playoffless streak of sorts 8 years(9 soon) of sub .500 ball and 13(14 soon) of no playoffs. How bout you guys make the playoffs this century already ;)

Would be nice. At least we're trying now, which couldn't be said for the past 12 years. (Before 2 years ago)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom