• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 1 |OT| - A new season dawns with champs vs chokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trasher

you are correct sir.

That ship & shit, sailed.

:(

As far as realizing things, it should also be noted that our team literally had no other WRs than Calvin on it last year. We literally lost everyone else to injury and a mental illness. We fucking put Stafford's goofy ass college roommate in as our second wideout... It should be no surprise that Calvin was the only weapon we had at our disposal. There was literally no one else to throw to.

Forsett_original_original.gif

A8bUQ5iCUAAjLNI.jpg

We held up our side of the alliance! Gifting points to our good friends.

Tabris

Speaking of Cardinals. I have a feeling they are going to do really good this year. If Palmer and Fitzgerald connect, and Mendenhall returns to solid form. Plus that D.

Going to be a very tough division.

Well it was an exciting David vs. Goliath win. Hard not to celebrate and live in the moment I'm guessing.

As far as 'snowjobbing' him it was a few months later, after Peyton came on the market.

The best answer is it's football. Teams should always be looking to improve. John did right by Tebow, gave him a choice of where he wanted to go, and the teams he dealt with gave him an opportunity to win the job.

It had nothing to do with Manning. Elway made it clear he never wanted Tebow even before that game. Then he acts like everything was cool. Why do that? The win was great sure, but everyone knew Elway wanted him gone so this empty gesture makes him come off like an asshole.

Turnstile

It had nothing to do with Manning. Elway made it clear he never wanted Tebow even before that game. Then he acts like everything was cool. Why do that? The win was great sure, but everyone knew Elway wanted him gone so this empty gesture makes him come off like an asshole.
Remember, the Tebow camp felt Tim was too valuable to be a backup to Manning. Too many whisperers in Timmys ears (Robbie Tebow). DEN gave him a chance to start in Jax or backup in NY. Tebow chose his platform.. I'm sure Elway didn't cry at all when Tebow left though.

I would have liked to see Elway, Manning, and Tebow together, but the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit cannot be together in the same place.

eznark

Banned
lolololol Kurt Warner says Matt Ryan is better than Brady, Brees and Rodgers. The only QB he has ranked higher is Manning.

Amazing.

Godslay

Banned
BroncosGAF representing

Welcome back old friend.

First of all, Elway has scouted QBs with Peyton the same way he did when Tebow was at the helm. He is always looking for QBs to develop, look at this year's team. Osweiler and Dysert. Dysert really has no business on the team, but Elway wants to continue to develop these guys. With Tebow it likely would have been accelerated, but John is on the record that Tebow would be given every opportunity to win the job.

You could take that as they were looking for someone to replace Tebow, which they very well could have been and it's probably true, but nothing has changed year over year as to how they operate in looking for QBs.

So it is likely that Elway would have drafted a QB higher if Manning didn't come our way. We would have taken Weeden, to bring competition to Tebow. As Tebow is a horrible practice player, Weeden likely would have beaten him out, much like Orton. We all know that Tebow shines in game situations, so yes it would have been an easy way out for Elway to replace him. If Tebow would have bundled together some stinkers in the next season, they could have easily justified replacing him.

That didn't happen though. Manning was on the free market, he came to Denver, draft plans changed accordingly, Tebow was traded, life goes on. Football.

Furthermore, I find it odd that this comes as a surprise. Tebow had a lot working against him. First, he was not an Elway draft pick. When executives get shuffled around at the top, they want their guy running the most important position on the team. Second, while he had a wonderful game against the Steelers, he turned in a poor performance in NE. Third, you have to take a gamble on Peyton if he's out there. Lastly, he had plenty of contract incentives that kicked in. If you want to move on, then there is no reason to allow the guy to continue to gobble up money that could be used elsewhere.

Even with that all said, Elway embraced the moment and celebrated the win. Gears may have been turning behind the scenes, but he can't just sit there and pout that it's working against what he wants to do long term. If anything he was riding the hot hand and letting things play out.

Smokey

I realize these things.
I also realize your "real offense" blew it at the end of the year.

You don't realize that I'm just being sarcastic with my good friend, Smokey. >_>

What happened to the Texans/Lions alliance from a couple years back?!

Bailed as soon as we saw that shit wouldn't be a healthy relationship. Yall draggin us down man.

Actually the whole team blew it last year. After Cush went down the defense and season went to hell. Then Schaub became an even bigger derp. And the letterman jackets. God. What a shit show 2012 was, even at 12-4.

cdyhybrid

hehehehea dumbass seachickens

FMT is reduced to celebrating practice squad players as some sort of victory over us. Took a while for that 30-point massacre in December to finally break you, but here we are.

yup, diablo 3 was significantly inferior to diablo 2. couldnt even finish the game

unless they made drastic changes in the console version?

Console peasants have probably never played D2.

WEEK 1 SCHEDULE
Baltimore at Denver
New England at Buffalo
Cincinnati at Chicago
Miami at Cleveland
Atlanta at New Orleans
Tampa Bay at NY Jets
Tennessee at Pittsburgh
Minnesota at Detroit
Oakland at Indianapolis
Seattle at Carolina
Kansas City at Jacksonville
Arizona at St. Louis
Green Bay at San Francisco
NY Giants at Dallas
Philadelphia at Washington
Houston at San Diego

Bread

Banned
yup, diablo 3 was significantly inferior to diablo 2. couldnt even finish the game

unless they made drastic changes in the console version?
they did make changes, and the game works better with a controller and 4 player coop on the same tv.
Can you point me to the exact Check It Out! episode this is from?
love maybe? i think it's the one with sunshine brule.

New England at Buffalo
Cincinnati at Chicago
Miami at Cleveland
Atlanta at New Orleans
Tampa Bay at NY Jets
Tennessee at Pittsburgh
Minnesota at Detroit
Oakland at Indianapolis
Seattle at Carolina
Kansas City at Jacksonville
Arizona at St. Louis
Green Bay at San Francisco
NY Giants at Dallas

MON, SEP 9
Philadelphia at Washington
Houston at San Diego

squicken

Will Washington state shut down to celebrate the one year anniversary of beating the 49ers by 30pts? So much talk about a game SF half assed its way through

Welcome back old friend.

First of all, Elway has scouted QBs with Peyton the same way he did when Tebow was at the helm. He is always looking for QBs to develop, look at this year's team. Osweiler and Dysert. Dysert really has no business on the team, but Elway wants to continue to develop these guys. With Tebow it likely would have been accelerated, but John is on the record that Tebow would be given every opportunity to win the job.

You could take that as they were looking for someone to replace Tebow, which they very well could have been and it's probably true, but nothing has changed year over year as to how they operate in looking for QBs.

So it is likely that Elway would have drafted a QB higher if Manning didn't come our way. We would have taken Weeden, to bring competition to Tebow. As Tebow is a horrible practice player, Weeden likely would have beaten him out, much like Orton. We all know that Tebow shines in game situations, so yes it would have been an easy way out for Elway to replace him. If Tebow would have bundled together some stinkers in the next season, they could have easily justified replacing him.

That didn't happen though. Manning was on the free market, he came to Denver, draft plans changed accordingly, Tebow was traded, life goes on. Football.

Furthermore, I find it odd that this comes as a surprise. Tebow had a lot working against him. First, he was not an Elway draft pick. When executives get shuffled around at the top, they want their guy running the most important position on the team. Second, while he had a wonderful game against the Steelers, he turned in a poor performance in NE. Third, you have to take a gamble on Peyton if he's out there. Lastly, he had plenty of contract incentives that kicked in. If you want to move on, then there is no reason to allow the guy to continue to gobble up money that could be used elsewhere.

Even with that all said, Elway embraced the moment and celebrated the win. Gears may have been turning behind the scenes, but he can't just sit there and pout that it's working against what he wants to do long term. If anything he was riding the hot hand and letting things play out.

Again, all that stuff is meaningless. You don't see Kevin Colbert celebrating with players he's angling to cut loose. It sends a bad message.

I'm not saying Elway should not have gone after Manning or wanted to get rid of Tebow. In fact, both moves were the right ones. My issue is that smiling in someone's face right before you stab them in the back is low. As you said it was a pretty monumental playoff win for Tebow. Keep your distance, let him enjoy it, then do what you gotta.

Actually the whole team blew it last year. After Cush went down the defense and season went to hell. Then Schaub became an even bigger derp. And the letterman jackets. God. What a shit show 2012 was, even at 12-4.
Goddamn, I called that injury. On the gag thread no less

cdyhybrid

Will Washington state shut down to celebrate the one year anniversary of beating the 49ers by 30pts? So much talk about a game SF half assed its way through

I dunno, we'll have to see how San Fran does its shut-down-the-city celebration for signing a practice squad WR.

The Mariners are keeping me from investing in following baseball. My heart can't handle it. Maybe the Huskies being good again will heal my heart enough to let me take on that additional depression.

The problem with baseball is if your team is having a rough year then its going to be terrible because the season lasts forever. At least football seems to go faster.

DUFFMCWALIN

Can I please get an avatar like yours with the Eagles logo on the hat?

Pretty please?

I can try making you one. I didn't make this one and the guy/girl who did posted them in the MLB thread. I'll try to contact them/make you one.

effzee

I can try making you one. I didn't make this one and the guy/girl who did posted them in the MLB thread. I'll try to contact them/make you one.

Sweet thanks!

No biggie if you can't. I thought you made it.

I think we should all adopt a similar avatar for the assumed bottom feeder teams this season.

Vyroxis

Banned
THU, SEP 5

Baltimore at Denver ~Tough one, but I think the Broncos redeem themselves.

SUN, SEP 8

Early
New England at Buffalo ~Complete and total beatdown of the week.
Cincinnati at Chicago ~Bengals are decent, Chicago isn't.
Miami at Cleveland ~ Miami is better than people think.
Atlanta at New Orleans ~ Falcons start their run to flopping in the playoffs
Tampa Bay at NY Jets ~Ryan trying to save his job. Freeman trying to find new Taco sources.
Tennessee at Pittsburgh ~Titans D let a third stringer tear them up. I have no faith in their D.
Minnesota at Detroit ~If this were in Minny, it would be different. Either way, these teams always keep it close so it could go either way.
Oakland at Indianapolis ~Luck gets better. Raiders still suck.
Seattle at Carolina ~Cam steps up, Russel suffers the sophomore blues.
Kansas City at Jacksonville ~Jacksonville starts their march for #1!
draft pick

Late
Arizona at St. Louis ~Cardinals have the makings of a really good team. I think they fly away with this one.
Green Bay at San Fran ~Packers are on the brink of the abyss, 49ers are not.

Night
NY Giants at Dallas ~Billion dollar stadium, dimestore team.

MON, SEP 9
Philadelphia at Washington ~RG III starts out strong.
Houston at San Diego ~Gonna be bad. Not a complete blowout, but certainly not good.

Turnstile

I agree. There are so many things that went into the equation.

I also think the FO feared Tebow 's style of play was risky. The fear became truth in NE and Tebow hiding the fact he was injured in the game with a broken rib (digging into his lung) couldn't have gone over well with Elway.

Tebow is tough, no doubt, but he knew his rib was busted.. He should have seen the bigger picture and taken himself out.

I think this was another part to a big equation.

Fantomex

Nothing probably, just never saw someone fuck themselves with a shovel.

Interesting

I don't think ez saw that you were taking Astrolad off the list at the request of others, and was sticking up for his friend

Makes sense. This is some serious business. For every 4 comments i get to remove someone, im getting an "add me pm, I've been posting here since the PONG days". Just so you guys know what I'm dealing with.

squicken

Interesting

Makes sense. This is some serious business. For every 4 comments i get to remove someone, im getting an "add me pm, I've been posting here since the PONG days". Just so you guys know what I'm dealing with.

That list is nothing but trouble. Every year you get people wanting to be added and then they never post. Probably afraid of being fucked by a shovel

Godslay

Banned
Again, all that stuff is meaningless. You don't see Kevin Colbert celebrating with players he's angling to cut loose. It sends a bad message.

I'm not saying Elway should not have gone after Manning or wanted to get rid of Tebow. In fact, both moves were the right ones. My issue is that smiling in someone's face right before you stab them in the back is low. As you said it was a pretty monumental playoff win for Tebow. Keep your distance, let him enjoy it, then do what you gotta.

It's not meaningless, it's the road map to where we are now.

In addition to that, Elway is not Colbert. He operates different than your GM. Assuming that your GM is a behind the scenes guy. Elway likes to go to practices, interact with the players, come down on the field at the end of the games, and be in the locker room. I see nothing wrong with that, in fact I embrace it. Fans have always been close to Elway, and it's nice to see him celebrate victories. Even if he planned to move on from Tebow, I am not going to sit here and say Elway should have stayed away. It's not his style.

I guess what I am saying is I don't really give a fuck if you have some guy locked away in a room cutting guys trying to lessen their remorse. Elway let Tebow play it out, gave him a shot, celebrated in victory, and when he thought he could improve the team he did. Personally, I would have found it more odd if Elway wasn't around to celebrate the victory, because I know he will celebrate any Bronco victory regardless of the circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom