• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 1 |OT| - A new season dawns with champs vs chokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

LJ11

A buddy of mine has a cousin who works as a scout for the Toronto Argonauts, he has an insane setup. Man cave consists of 10 37" sets with every game on. They invited me over to watch today's games, I generally hate watching anywhere but my home but I took them up on their offer.

Having all the games on was disorienting at first but you naturally tune out the games on your far left/right. Very enjoyable, you get to see a good portion of about 6 games going on during the 1pm slot. Much easier to follow the 4 oclock games.

Football is much more enjoyable when you're around knowledgeable fans.

Week 1 Thoughts

- The Bills are back, no question! Another year of heart break is back. Gut wrenching defeats, we got you covered. Under performing "superstars" we got those too. Turnovers by your best players, no doubt about it. Nullify big gains by taking penalties, yeah we have a looooot of those. Same shit, different year.

- Bills were 1 for 6 on 3rd and 2. We've played the Pats 3 time on opening day since 2006, lost all three. Combine point differential of -5 for the Bills.

- Brutal run games throughout the league. Seemed like teams went nowhere on the ground.

- Man if the Bengals ever get a consistent run game look out. AJ was a machine but the Bears left Tillman one on one, wouldn't even reroute at the line, lots of press bail.

- Steeler fans, you missing Arians yet?

- Cam needs help. When I was watching, and I watched often since the game was right next to the Bills game, he looked pretty good. Olsen was shit. Need to give this man some weapons.

- Amendola was incredible down the stretch, he doesn't get the separation Welker does, or didn't in this game (groin didn't help him), but he made contested grabs all game long. I thought Robey did as good a job as he could have done on some of those throws.

- Mike Pettine is a hell of a coach. Had Brady confused often, lots of confusing coverages. Front 4 didn't get to Brady enough given the coverage. Good plan of attack given the roster limitations.

- Jim Leonhard really is a coach on the field, lined up guys in the right spot quite often. Future coach no doubt.

- Was high on Tannehill coming out, decent game for him today. At A&M he moved so well in the pocket, you're starting to see him regress in this department because his OL is dog shit. Dropping his eyes often, feeling heat, and gets jittery often. Reminds me of...

- Sam Bradford. Cards didn't respect him and he "Cooked" them repeatedly. OL is still an issue for that squad, but he looked better. Too bad his OC is shit, why the fuck is he motioning the RB out of two back sets but leaving the FB in the backfield? To pass pro? Didn't understand it. Good to see needless motioning from Schotty, it's a staple of his.

- Givens and Richardson looked good, good wiggle, both players broke tackles or made guys missed. Tavon was roughed up at times, first time I questioned his size, he'll be alright.

- Rams DL keeps getting better. It's the Cards, I know, but Rams DL played well against some good lines last season.

- Rams S were thumping guys all game long.

- Speaking of thumping, Eric Reid was fantastic today. Always been a solid tackler, played downhill, but to play that quickly and instinctively in your first game...Good start to say the least.

- LOL Steve Johnson. You're a clown, who cares if you get open, catch the damn ball you fuck.

- Miss that Chan Gailey run game.

That's all for this week. I'll be rewatching some games the next few days, hopefully we get a good discussion going.

Fox318

One game into the season and Wallace is already pouting, most likely because he doesn't feel like he got enough targets:

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2013/09/dolphins-win-but-wallace-upset.html

Real team player, this guy. If anyone recalls I was worried about this very thing back when the Dolphins first acquired Wallace. He sees himself as the big money go-to guy and since he's older than Tannehill he probably feels like he has more weight to throw around than he did in Pitt.

Dude better get with the program. Hartline and Gibson will get the targets as long as you are being blanketed by guys like Haden. That's a big part of why you're here. Deal with it.
Send him to the cards.

smiley_smug.gif
Thought you missed the Deac Signal there for a minute!

Haha at cowboys haters and people making excuses for the giants.

Gtfo. We always have garbage injuries or oline problems. Fuck your excuses.

Your team didn't look like Muhammad Ali out there.

Cowboys 11-5, book it boys. #WeBelieveInRomo #NoFumbles

Dallas is barely a leader in the division, they're certainly not a leader in the NFC, and they're not even the best team in Texas. Even my non-existent San Antonio team is probably better than them. Dallas was the least terrible in an ugly game. Winning tonight is like being prom queen in a deformed school.

Fantomex

Not all bad you still have plenty of humble and class: Dre, Calvin, Fitzgerald...notice to they all play on historically crappy teams yet they stayed. I know they get paid millions there but its not like some other team wouldn't pay the same.

I would love to have Dre or Calvin, those dudes are worth the money.

Draxal

thanks to mike wallace we have a 0% chance in resigning crabtree

Of the following 6 who has resigned long term?

Iupati
A Davis (Rutgers homer here so I like him more than you do probably).
V Davis
Bowman
Willis
Staley

I'm just so envious of your team's oline and linebacking corps.

Fox318

A buddy of mine has a cousin who works as a scout for the Toronto Argonauts, he has an insane setup. Man cave consists of 10 37" sets with every game on. They invited me over to watch today's games, I generally hate watching anywhere but my home but I took them up on their offer.

Having all the games on was disorienting at first but you naturally tune out the games on your far left/right. Very enjoyable, you get to see a good portion of about 6 games going on during the 1pm slot. Much easier to follow the 4 oclock games.

Football is much more enjoyable when you're around knowledgeable fans.

Week 1 Thoughts

- The Bills are back, no question! Another year of heart break is back. Gut wrenching defeats, we got you covered. Under performing "superstars" we got those too. Turnovers by your best players, no doubt about it. Nullify big gains by taking penalties, yeah we have a looooot of those. Same shit, different year.

- Bills were 1 for 6 on 3rd and 2. We've played the Pats 3 time on opening day since 2006, lost all three. Combine point differential of -5 for the Bills.

- Brutal run games throughout the league. Seemed like teams went nowhere on the ground.

- Man if the Bengals ever get a consistent run game look out. AJ was a machine but the Bears left Tillman one on one, wouldn't even reroute at the line, lots of press bail.

- Steeler fans, you missing Arians yet?

- Cam needs help. When I was watching, and I watched often since the game was right next to the Bills game, he looked pretty good. Olsen was shit. Need to give this man some weapons.

- Amendola was incredible down the stretch, he doesn't get the separation Welker does, or didn't in this game (groin didn't help him), but he made contested grabs all game long. I thought Robey did as good a job as he could have done on some of those throws.

- Mike Pettine is a hell of a coach. Had Brady confused often, lots of confusing coverages. Front 4 didn't get to Brady enough given the coverage. Good plan of attack given the roster limitations.

- Jim Leonhard really is a coach on the field, lined up guys in the right spot quite often. Future coach no doubt.

- Was high on Tannehill coming out, decent game for him today. At A&M he moved so well in the pocket, you're starting to see him regress in this department because his OL is dog shit. Dropping his eyes often, feeling heat, and gets jittery often. Reminds me of...

- Sam Bradford. Cards didn't respect him and he "Cooked" them repeatedly. OL is still an issue for that squad, but he looked better. Too bad his OC is shit, why the fuck is emptying the backfield and leaving a FB there?

- Givens and Richardson looked good, good wiggle, both players broke tackles or made guys missed. Tavon was roughed up at times, first time I questioned his size, he'll be alright.

- Rams DL keeps getting better. It's the Cards, I know, but Rams DL played well against some good lines last season.

- Rams S were thumping guys all game long.

- Speaking of thumping, Eric Reid was fantastic today. Always been a solid tackler, played downhill, but to play that quickly and instinctively in your first game...Good start to say the least.

- LOL Steve Johnson. You're a clown, who cares if you get open, catch the damn ball you fuck.

- Miss that Chan Gailey run game.

That's all for this week. I'll be rewatching some games the next few days, hopefully we get a good discussion going.
I still couldn't believe the Bills lost.

JCizzle

Of the following 7 who has resigned long term?

Iupati
A Davis (Rutgers homer here so I like him more than you do probably).
V Davis
Bowman
Willis
V Davis
Staley

I'm just so envious of your team's oline and linebacking corps.

VD
Bowman
Willis
Staley
ADavis

Off the top of my head. Aldon and CK are the two huge looming guys.

I would love to have Dre or Calvin, those dudes are worth the money.
I still like Wallace as a player. Maybe not $60 million like, but I can't pretend like I'm totally opposed to the move. Hartline and Gibson had good games today in large part because of Wallace's influence, in my opinion. I'm mostly just worried about his attitude at this point.

But yeah, of course I'd rather have Dre or Calvin. Who wouldn't? The problem is it's not that simple.

squicken

Awesome setup. Thought the Bills D was great, as you said. Danny will do that to anyone. Talent is not the issue. He doesn't get any YAC but he can kill any team that isn't bracketing him. Game looked just like the game vs SF last year

Bummer about Tanny. It's been my fear since last year and I hated the Jordan pick over Lane Johnson

As far as STL, I thought AZ just stuck Peterson on Givens and dared STL to go deep. They usually take a shot or two but never did. Offense, aside from the goal line, moved the ball fine. Cook is a weapon. A unique athlete that will force defenses to worry about him. They actually gave up no sacks, but lots of short passes

Cook:
-His first multi-TD game in his career
-First TD catch from inside the 5 in his career
-Most yards by a TE in Rams team history

I still like Wallace as a player. Maybe not $60 million like, but I can't pretend like I'm totally opposed to the move. Hartline and Gibson had good games today in large part because of Wallace's influence, in my opinion. I'm mostly just worried about his attitude at this point.

But yeah, of course I'd rather have Dre or Calvin. Who wouldn't? The problem is it's not that simple.

It's also not simple enough to pay a guy 60 million to be a decoy for your posession receivers.

Novoitus

Banned
As I told you: you gotta protect the football.

And thus, the Bengals lose their first game to a greatly inferior team. They don't call me Vastradamas... but if they did, they wouldn't call me Vastradamas for nothin!

But shit, at least the Reds are okay this year.

greatly inferior? that 100$ million dollar dline couldn't get a sack on a brand new oline featuring 2 rookies.

sorry, the bengals lost. pretty much puts them in the "inferior" column against the bears.

LJ11

Oh, forgot to add Raiders/Pryor. Couldn't believer it, you truly never know. Pryor looked better than I ever expected. Might be a single game performance, or maybe there's something there, we'll find out soon enough though.

Early lines for Week 2:

Thu 9/12 New York Jets +14 (-130)
8:25PM New England Patriots -14 (+110)

Sun 9/15 Cleveland Browns +7 (-130)
1:00PM Baltimore Ravens -7 (+110)

Sun 9/15 Miami Dolphins +3.5 (-140)
1:00PM Indianapolis Colts -3.5 (+120)

Sun 9/15 Carolina Panthers -2.5 (-125)
1:00PM Buffalo Bills 2.5 (+105)

Sun 9/15 St. Louis Rams +7.5 (-140)
1:00PM Atlanta Falcons -7.5 (+120)

Sun 9/15 Minnesota Vikings +7 (-130)
1:00PM Chicago Bears -7 (+110)

Sun 9/15 New Orleans Saints -3.5 (+105)
4:05PM Tampa Bay Buccaneers +3.5 (-125)

Sun 9/15 Detroit Lions Pick (-125)
4:05PM Arizona Cardinals Pick (+105)

Sun 9/15 Jacksonville Jaguars +7 (-135)
4:25PM Oakland Raiders -7 (+115)

Sun 9/15 San Francisco 49ers +3 (-105)
8:35PM Seattle Seahawks -3 (-115)

Mon 9/16 Pittsburgh Steelers +7.5 (-145)
8:40PM Cincinnati Bengals -7.5 (+125)

Art Stapleton @art_stapleton 7m

David Wilson: "I'm just gonna keep working hard. I'm at the bottom now. So nowhere to go but up from here. That's really all I got." #NYG

Kids confidence is going to be destroyed moving forward. Needs to man up though. Hang onto the ball!

LJ11

Awesome setup. Thought the Bills D was great, as you said. Danny will do that to anyone. Talent is not the issue. He doesn't get any YAC but he can kill any team that isn't bracketing him. Game looked just like the game vs SF last year

Bummer about Tanny. It's been my fear since last year and I hated the Jordan pick over Lane Johnson

As far as STL, I thought AZ just stuck Peterson on Givens and dared STL to go deep. They usually take a shot or two but never did. Offense, aside from the goal line, moved the ball fine. Cook is a weapon. A unique athlete that will force defenses to worry about him. They actually gave up no sacks, but lots of short passes

Cook:
-His first multi-TD game in his career
-First TD catch from inside the 5 in his career
-Most yards by a TE in Rams team history

Totally agree on daring the Rams to go deep, there was no respect for Bradford, but he now has a guy who he can hit at the intermediate level and have him run after the catch. New dimension, also has Tavon. Might not respect the deep game, but you can't just load up the box or squat on everything.

When he was at OU he had a good TE that he worked the ball to often.

Greg

I blame finley's drop on you
What about that TD though? They're sculpting his face already!

Priorities.
I know. I'm not watching games with friends at the bar anymore.

This girl that sat next to me was a Browns fan... I wanted to end everything any time she opened her mouth. And she was one of those 'fans' that made a big deal about every play.

squicken

It really does feel so good to be true that it's almost a trap.

Like "Honey Badger has 5 INTs in one game because Stafford forces the ball to Megatron all day" trap.

Honey Badger is really good at getting away with the cheap shit Finnegan used to do. Probably got away with 2 or 3 borderline late hits or unnecessary roughness plays that I have seen called

Fantomex

I dont mind paying a lot of money for high character guys. But everyone knew Wallace was a douchenozzle. He gets 60 mill and is frustrated and surprised that hes being doubled? Embarrassing. They could of saved that money and put it in the offensive line and drafted a receiver with speed in the second round. Receivers suck at running routes just like Wallace does anyway. Im gonna finally join twitter just to heckle the dude hehe

Doorman

It really does feel so good to be true that it's almost a trap.

Like "Honey Badger has 5 INTs in one game because Stafford forces the ball to Megatron all day" trap.

Weren't the Lions pretty well favored the last time we went out to play the Cards? And they were starting some quarterback that nobody knew a thing about? And they absolutely torched us?

Posession receivers don't post 100 yard games? Huh.
I know your connotation that comes with the term. It's the same way you talked about the Dolphins having nothing but warm bodies at WR last season. I also like how you continue to avoid the fact that you've never even seen Hartline play.

Whatever, done wasting my time with you for the night.

Weren't the Lions pretty well favored the last time we went out to play the Cards? And they were starting some quarterback that nobody knew a thing about? And they absolutely torched us?

apparently it's been at the very least a dozen years since the Lions have won in Arizona. At least that's as far back as this espn "intel" shows:

Head to Head Matchups (Since 2001)
Arizona leads 6-3
Dec 16, 2012 DET 10, @ARI 38
Dec 20, 2009 DET 24, ARI 31
Nov 11, 2007 DET 21, @ARI 31
Nov 19, 2006 DET 10, @ARI 17
Nov 13, 2005 DET 29, ARI 21
Dec 5, 2004 DET 26, ARI 12
Sep 7, 2003 DET 42, ARI 24
Dec 8, 2002 DET 20, @ARI 23
Nov 18, 2001 DET 38, @ARI 45

Though that really means nothing, well except maybe if you're the Lions.

squicken

Totally agree on daring the Rams to go deep, there was no respect for Bradford, but he now has a guy who he can hit at the intermediate level and have him run after the catch. New dimension, also has Tavon. Might not respect the deep game, but you can't just load up the box or squat on everything.

When he was at OU he had a good TE that he worked the ball to often.

Givens beat them deep twice last year, and Danny did as well. Bradford will only throw deep on shot plays, which is why I was surprised he never challenged them. Rams fans are a little bummed about Austin. Schotty talked all preseason about not using all the plays they had for Tavon, but today at least, he just looked like a run of the mill slot guy. They even ran a WR screen to their Pettis, who is the slowest WR. idk. Goal Line is bad. Like you said, lots of bad run games, and STL is one. Can't do anything on short yardage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom