• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 1 |OT| - A new season dawns with champs vs chokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

I know your connotation that comes with the term. It's the same way you talked about the Dolphins having nothing but warm bodies at WR last season. I also like how you continue to avoid the fact that you've never even seen Hartline play.

Whatever, done wasting my time with you for the night.

How did Weeden look? I think all the Browns fans are in bed so you guys can be honest

I know your connotation that comes with the term. It's the same way you talked about the Dolphins having nothing but warm bodies at WR last season. I also like how you continue to avoid the fact that you've never even seen Hartline play.

Whatever, done wasting my time with you for the night.

It was just a throwaway comment but if you wanna get pissy then here we go.

You got exactly what you wanted with Wallace. 60 million for a diva who will disappear for stretches at a time on offense and drop the balls he does get on the two routes in his route tree. Hope you're happy tying up your cap room in a player the team is content to send out to draw double teams for your real 'playmakers'. Feel better now?

P.S. Here's what will happen with Wallace this season. Eventually teams are going to figure out he's tempermental and drop prone so they're going to single cover him and pay attention to your main guy. With the Steelers, that was A Brown, our POSESSION receiver. Oooh, offensive word.

Syrinx

Looking back on the Bucs game, I want to say I overreacted, and I probably did and I'd probably be more willing to backpedal if this were any other sport. But we play New Orleans next week, and New England the week after that. If we play either of those times as badly as we played today, they're going to kick the ever-loving shit out of us. And not only that, they'll have to play significantly better if they're going to have a chance to win either game. And if we lose both, then we're 0-3. So I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that the Bucs kinda needed this game today. But with all the bone-headed mistakes they made, I guess they disagree.

Whatever, I'll be right back in front of the TV next week, so...fingers crossed they can get these issues settled by then.

LJ11

Givens beat them deep twice last year, and Danny did as well. Bradford will only throw deep on shot plays, which is why I was surprised he never challenged them. Rams fans are a little bummed about Austin. Schotty talked all preseason about not using all the plays they had for Tavon, but today at least, he just looked like a run of the mill slot guy. They even ran a WR screen to their Pettis, who is the slowest WR. idk. Goal Line is bad. Like you said, lots of bad run games, and STL is one. Can't do anything on short yardage

I saw the screen to Pettis, and was like wait, is that 18 or 13? Then I saw the 18.

Thought Richardson looked good catching the ball at least. Givens looked like he had some after catch ability too, but he didn't get the ball much since Peterson was on him. When he did nab it, he made a guy miss.

Thought Austin was rounding his routes a bit, but maybe I was seeing things Only concern I had was how they rerouted him a bit too easily at times, think he fell once too. Need to rewatch.

Boose

Givens beat them deep twice last year, and Danny did as well. Bradford will only throw deep on shot plays, which is why I was surprised he never challenged them. Rams fans are a little bummed about Austin. Schotty talked all preseason about not using all the plays they had for Tavon, but today at least, he just looked like a run of the mill slot guy. They even ran a WR screen to their Pettis, who is the slowest WR. idk. Goal Line is bad. Like you said, lots of bad run games, and STL is one. Can't do anything on short yardage

The Pettis thing confused the hell out of me. I've always thought he was the slowest guy. Why waste a play like that?

MechDX

Little too eager to watch J.J. devour Rivers whole.

Whose dumb idea was it to have a double header on Monday night? I thought about it and I can not ever remember watching one. Just stupid.

If you have to do it put two west coast teams against each other.

In honesty Im more excited to see the offense. Hopkins addition, Grahams (TE) good preseason play and Posey/Jeans evolving gives me hope that they will open it up more and start to get everyone involved. Schaub has a lot of toys in this offense all of a sudden and if Kubiak will just take the reigns off it can be scary.

Narag

Whose dumb idea was it to have a double header on Monday night? I thought about it and I can not ever remember watching one. Just stupid.

Wiki says it started with the ESPN move in 2006. I'd been curious about it myself lately.

Have no idea, but it works for me since I'll be doing schoolwork -- or at least trying to -- during that time anyways.

squicken

The Pettis thing confused the hell out of me. I've always thought he was the slowest guy. Why waste a play like that?

It makes no sense. He's just taking up space. I thought he could at least be Brandon Gibson but Gibson is better. Pettis has better hands at least

Did notice in your game that Stevie still gets open at will with NE. Hope EJ can develop that. DL is still not earning it's money but that's a sunk cost

How did Weeden look? I think all the Browns fans are in bed so you guys can be honest
He looked decent when he had time, the problem was he rarely did. The Dolphins abused the Browns o-line all day and for some reason the Browns abandoned the run fairly early so Weeden was seeing a lot of heavy pressure from extra pass rushers. I forget the numbers but the sacks, hurries, and knockdowns were all through the roof. He'll be spending a lot of time in the whirlpool tomorrow, I'd imagine.

The three picks he threw were only partially his fault, particularly the last two which were tipped balls by his receivers that should have been caught. The first pick was a bomb on third down from midfield that was a little under thrown but could have been at least broken up by the WR if he put in some effort.

One thing I noticed about Weeden is that he seemed to struggle more when the Dolphins didn't blitz and dropped back more guys in coverage. He did a good job getting the ball out quickly to the open guy when a blitzer came after him quickly and cleanly, but when the Dolphins only rushed four he seemed a lot more indecisive and ineffective. Then again, the Dolphins were getting good pressure with only four guys rushing so he still didn't seem to have a lot of time.

He did make some nice throws, though. Decent accuracy, nice velocity, and he even had a few good throws on the run after he abandoned the pocket to buy some time.

Overall I'd say he looked alright, but the Browns became way too one dimensional for him to really succeed (missing Gordon probably didn't help either).

10__1378580268_7715-6.jpg

Danny <3

LJ11

Did notice in your game that Stevie still gets open at will with NE. Hope EJ can develop that. DL is still not earning it's money but that's a sunk cost

Steve gets open, that's what he does, but he Manuel need to be on the same page. He forced it to him a couple of times, one looked like an INT. Manuel had Woods wide open on the cross. They ran what looked like double crossing routes, but Steve stopped, coverage went his way leaving Woods open.

They left a lot of plays on the field so did the Pats. DE spot is our weakness I thought Dareus played very well.

Did Williams play for the Bills today? How was he?

Kyle was alright, so was Dareus. It's hard to get pressure on that line, but I felt we hit more than we normally do.

I'll say one thing about New England, their OL does an incredible job of holding and getting away with it. Not a complaint, just an observation. There was one play late in the game where the G had Kyle in a bear hug but it was Kyle's fault for not using hand quick enough to disengage, once he locked there was no getting out of it.

Their OL did a good job holding, just like our secondary did.

Kacar

Woah we don't all go to bed at 9:30 like certain senior living QBs.

I only got to watch redzone but from what I saw and talked to people about was that he looked pretty bad. With how terrible our recievers are its not shocking, Cameron was really our only consistent threat. Most people seem to think it will all be fine once Gordon is back. 2 of the 3 INTs were tipped balls and not on him. Really none were on him kinda.

Last drive down 2 possessions and he threw it away on 3rd and 4th down to I guess preserve his stats (lol?). I don't understand why he didn't try to force it in just to try, but he gave up. Which is fine cause I've given up on him, the last sequence was embarrassing.

I will say the biggest surprise for me today was Pittsburgh. I did not expect them to play so terribly at home against a team commandeered by Jake Locker. I'm not a Steelers fan, but I don't think Todd Haley is doing a good job on the offense.

The division is still up for grabs since everyone lost, still I expected Pittsburgh to come out and make a case they were still a force in the AFC. They didn't.

squicken

Thx. Really surprises me they can't run the ball, but like LJ said, that seems to be a league wide issue. I'm not a Weeden fan or anything. I thought he was too old to be drafted that high. But I thought he had turned a corner a little in the preseason but maybe that was b/c of all the simple defenses

haha oh god this is greatness. On the Cowboys postgame show on 1310, they go to a caller and I guess he was on hold too long (and probably drunk). When they went to him he fell asleep. They stuck with him and just listened to him snore or a while

Good stuff

squicken

Their OL did a good job holding, just like our secondary did.

There was a lot made of them "stopping" Watt when they played HOU. They "stopped" him by grabbing his arms so he couldn't knock down passes. Against STL in London, though it was blowout, the WRs and TEs were really selling phantom holding calls. they wouldn't flag beg. Just take exaggerated false steps as if impeded. Always worked. I'm certain Belichick coaches them on drawing and avoiding fouls. Probably has a profile on every official

Woah we don't all go to bed at 9:30 like certain senior living QBs.

I only got to watch redzone but from what I saw and talked to people about was that he looked pretty bad. With how terrible our recievers are its not shocking, Cameron was really our only consistent threat. Most people seem to think it will all be fine once Gordon is back. 2 of the 3 INTs were tipped balls and not on him. Really none were on him kinda.

Last drive down 2 possessions and he threw it away on 3rd and 4th down to I guess preserve his stats (lol?). I don't understand why he didn't try to force it in just to try, but he gave up. Which is fine cause I've given up on him, the last sequence was embarrassing.

I saw that 4th down play. It was sad. One of those tipped balls I did see. It was thrown high and hard to put on the WR

Colasante

Deacon Jones Award Watch, Week 1 (Sack Leader):

1a. Justin Houston- 3
1b. Robert Quinn- 3
3a. Shaun Phillips- 2.5
3b. Cameron Wake- 2.5
5a. Zach Brown- 2
5b. Desmond Bryant- 2
5c. Jurrell Casey- 2
5d. Mason Foster- 2

Very unusual list so far, especially with two Titans on it. I think it's also safe to pencil in JJ Watt for at least 3 against the Chargers' offensive line tomorrow.

squicken

1a. Justin Houston- 3
1b. Robert Quinn- 3
3a. Shaun Phillips- 2.5
3b. Cameron Wake- 2.5
5a. Zach Brown- 2
5b. Desmond Bryant- 2
5c. Jurrell Casey- 2
5d. Mason Foster- 2

Very unusual list so far, especially with two Titans on it. I think it's also safe to pencil in JJ Watt for at least 3 against the Chargers' offensive line tomorrow.

I would like to gamble on "Aggregate AZ Cardinals Opponent Opposite Left Tackle"

brentech

Tested out GameRewind for a few minutes and made this (with GifCam!):

%255B2013-9-9%255DFinley-TD%255B2qtr%255D.gif.gif

Probably do some more tomorrow. Not sure if Picasa is the best place to host the images. Might have to find another or buy hosting again.

1a. Justin Houston- 3
1b. Robert Quinn- 3
3a. Shaun Phillips- 2.5
3b. Cameron Wake- 2.5
5a. Zach Brown- 2
5b. Desmond Bryant- 2
5c. Jurrell Casey- 2
5d. Mason Foster- 2

Motherfucking Justin Houston.

He has DPoY potential, he's an absolute monster.

Tested out GameRewind for a few minutes and made this (with GifCam!):

%255B2013-9-9%255DFinley-TD%255B2qtr%255D.gif.gif

Probably do some more tomorrow. Not sure if Picasa is the best place to host the images. Might have to find another or buy hosting again.

Try to see if you can get the camera angle with perish cox still in view. His reaction after that missed tackle was priceless.

firen

There's not a day goes by I don't feel regret. Not because of that post, or because you think I should. I look back on the way I was then: a young, stupid kid who wrote those terrible posts. I want to talk to him. I want to try and talk some sense to him, tell him the way things are. But I can't. That kid's long gone and this old man is all that's left. I got to live with that. Tom Brady? It's just a bullshit word. So you go on and post your little insults, sonny, and stop wasting my time. Because to tell you the truth, I don't give a shit.

Rex Ryan-esque transformation confirmed?

ChanHuk

Banned
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom