• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 1 |OT| - A new season dawns with champs vs chokes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brandon Jacobs tweeted hell be working out for the Giants on Tuesday.
Yeah, that didnt take long.

Edit: Correction: Boxing friend of BJ tweeted it out.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9651957

Yes, I understand that everyone is going to pick the Steelers, everyone is going to pick the Texans and when the Titans win . . it isn't on the Titans so much as it is on the opposing team.

Regardless.

The D had five sacks, held a 2-time super bowl winner to . . 7 points?? I know, Pouncey, that really blows. I just don't understand how any pundit who actually watched the game makes the case for how bad the Steelers sucked without how much the Titan's D actually stepped up.

Obviously, I'm a Titans fan, so this is going to be my soap box. Regardless, 1-0 and Munch still looks lost as shit. Doesn't matter. 1-0 and I'll take it.

FAq6o3a.jpg

Look at this dreamy bastard.

squicken

Yes, I understand that everyone is going to pick the Steelers, everyone is going to pick the Texans and when the Titans win . . it isn't on the Titans so much as it is on the opposing team.

Regardless.

The D had five sacks, held a 2-time super bowl winner to . . 7 points?? I know, Pouncey, that really blows. I just don't understand how any pundit who actually watched the game makes the case for how bad the Steelers sucked without how much the Titan's D actually stepped up.

Obviously, I'm a Titans fan, so this is going to be my soap box. Regardless, 1-0 and Munch still looks lost as shit. Doesn't matter. 1-0 and I'll take it.

Good win for you guys. Obviously when such a big favorite losses, people will associate that with their failure and not the underdog stepping up. It really seems like your offense just decided to run the ball and make PITT's offense do something, which it never did. Gregg Williams is a sketchy dude but he knows defense

cajunator

Banned
Good win for you guys. Obviously when such a big favorite losses, people will associate that with their failure and not the underdog stepping up. It really seems like your offense just decided to run the ball and make PITT's offense do something, which it never did. Gregg Williams is a sketchy dude but he knows defense

I feel bad that the ravens got stuck with Steve spagnuolo but that waz their decision. I like what Rob Ryan is doing with our defense. Feels similar in ways to Gregg's blitz crazy schemes. Whatever gives us the W.

The Panthers are absolutely awful when it comes to playing with a lead and if they get down they can't come back. It's a coaching and player problem.

sonicmj1

Now that I've watched the condensed version of the Giants game, it still totally sucks, but I don't feel quite as bad about the long-term prospects of the team. Even with all of the pathetic shit that happened, the Giants were still one good break away from stealing an ugly win. And while all the fumbling was inexcusable, there were an awful lot of unlucky bounces and such. The bounce on the punt return, the scrum after Wilson's second fumble, the trajectory of the ball leading to the Da'Rel Scott TAINT... none of those are good plays, but bad luck ensured that we'd face the worst possible outcome of each event.

The running game and RB situation are both complete messes, but the passing game actually worked, we scored touchdowns in the red zone, and the defense held up remarkably well given the shit they had to deal with. As long as the fumbling and pass protection issues get fixed, we might manage to not suck this year.

I hope Wilson is carrying a football around with proper form for every minute of the next week.

Talon

:jnc

Here is NFL Today analyst Boomer Esiason showering love on NFL commissioner Roger Goodell: “He is head and shoulders above every other commissioner in professional sports. It is not even close…Trying to make the game safer, being open and honest in terms of and being transparent about the physicality of the game and dealing with 32 billionaires is an enormous job and he has navigated it to give us at least nine more years of labor peace. I think that is major get for him and all of us working around the game.”

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Haha, Russell Wilson even keeps the play alive while throwing it away. "I knew Doug [Baldwin] was comin' back, and I knew I was about to get blown up. So, I tried to throw it, you know, where nobody could get it..."

bionic77

Regardless.

If your team is good they will prove it the rest of the year.

But if you can't see that losing Pouncey and not having a real backup is something that killed our team (along with losing Foote for the year) then I don't know what to say bro.

I already said you guys pushed our shit in and dominated us (even though we would have been in it without those retarded Redman fumbles, but honestly we didn't deserve to be).

As a Steelers fan I have no fucking idea how they can fix this. Lets see how good our coaches are...

Milchjon

LOL at Suh for costing his team a TD. So dirty, so dumb.

Also, from a purely visual point of view, I loved Matthews' out of bounds hit.

ku-xlarge.gif

The Falcons lose another close one to the Saints in New Orleans and all I see from analysts is how the sky is falling for us and the Saints are back. I hate all the overreaction that comes with week 1.

In other news, at least we don't have a guy being a bitch like Mike Wallace. :jnc

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Speaking of Mike Wallace...

Were they just not looking his way I see he did nothing pretty much. But I haven't had a good look at the targets or full analysis yet.

squicken

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/5-up-5-down-for-Sunday.html

4. Carolina coach Ron Rivera and Cam Newton – In the three years coach Ron Rivera and quarterback Cam Newton have been together, the team has yet to win a season opener. Each game has been decided by a touchdown or less. Worse, this could be the indication of another bad start after Carolina opened 1-5 in 2011 and 1-6 in 2012. Beyond that, Newton’s strong opening performances of 2011 seem to be a thing of the past. He was limited to 125 yards passing on Sunday against Seattle.

5. Brandon Weeden struggles mightily – Just as with Gabbert in Jacksonville, Weeden doesn’t have a lot of fans in the front office with the Browns (President Joe Banner and GM Mike Lombardi would love to have replaced him already). Weeden opened the season by completing only 26 of 53 passes for 289 yards and three interceptions. Worse, he was sacked six times, fumbled once and had at least four passes deflected at the line of scrimmage. Weeden led the league in passes batted at the line last season.

Didn't realize the batted passes were still an issue. Happens to all QBs but that he has so many is a big problem

Speaking of Mike Wallace...

Were they just not looking his way I see he did nothing pretty much. But I haven't had a good look at the targets or full analysis yet.
I need to go back and take a closer look but from watching the game it just seemed like he wasn't the open guy very often. Hartline and Gibson were both doing a great job of creating separation so Tannehill was mostly just taking what the Browns gave him. He took a few deep shots to Wallace but all of them were off, sometimes because Tannehill's throw was off but usually because Haden was holding him up in coverage (legally).

It's going to take awhile for them to develop some chemistry and that was pretty apparent yesterday. At this point Hartline is Tannehill's go-to guy and Wallace is just helping that connection even more by drawing double teams and whatnot.

Too bad he's a whiny little manchild.

Didn't realize the batted passes were still an issue. Happens to all QBs but that he has so many is a big problem
At least one or two of those was literally him throwing the ball with a leaping Soliai/Starks about two feet in front of him (unblocked). It didn't stand out to me as something he struggled with, to be honest, seemed like more of a pass pro problem than a Weeden issue.

squicken

Titans players pretty jacked up about that win

"We are not the Titans of old," defensive end Derrick Morgan said, per The Tennessean.

The Titans berated Ben Roethlisberger all day long in a game plan that had a distinct Gregg Williams scent.

"You could see it in Ben's eyes -- he wanted to get back to that locker room pretty quick," said defensive tackle Jurrell Casey. "As long as we keep getting to quarterbacks, it's going to be like that all year."

It's just one game, but the Titans newfound attitude could save coach Mike Munchak's job. On Sunday their tough play silenced a once boisterous Pittsburgh crowd.

"We made sure we put those Terrible Towels up their butts all day long," Casey said. "They waved them at the beginning of the game, but they left pretty early."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...r-beating-up-on-steelers?campaign=Twitter_atl

edit: For a long take on why Harbaugh acted slimy this past week and Matthews did not, scroll to the bottom for a somewhat lengthy explanation

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/60033484/

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

I wish I saw the game so I'd have a proper opinion but we'll see if he and the coaching staff bounce back.

Even the most staunch Weeden supporters know he's not the guy here but the hope was he'd be good enough to hold the fort but overreacted right now whoever we draft this year will be thrown into the fire next year for sure.

Just made some .gifs of my personal favorite play of the day. Why the Browns would attempt to block Wake with a RB on a key 4th and 2 is beyond me but here's the outcome:

wakex4xml.gif

wake2gks52.gif

jmdajr

So I bumped into Chris Meyers (texans center) and Kevin Walter (former "best blocking" receiving in the league) getting some Froyo on Saturday. I guess they are still bros.

Just to note Chris didn't get Froyo for himself just his kids. Gotta watch that figure.

Kevin Walter did though! Must have been anxious about his Titans debut.
(edit:eek:r should I say is recovering from some injury)

Any that's your report for TMZ Sports Houston.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom